logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Laini-Taylor
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-10-28 01:54
The Dangers of Loving Angels
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

If like me you do not seek out novels in which young women fall in love with supernatural creatures, you will be forgiven for not being familiar with this series. The story follows a 17 year old girl with blue hair who attends art school in Prague. She was raised in a supernatural shop, with a door that opens on cities all over the world, by a ram headed man named Brimstone who fashions wish talismans from teeth. Her idyllic bohemian life is destroyed one day when she is attacked by an angel. Despite being brutalized by the angel, she falls in love with him, as one does.

I suppose this falls within the paranormal romance subgenre. It has plenty of story in addition to the romance, but the romance is the core of the plot. The story is entertaining and well told, and presents an interesting fantasy world. I have some misgivings though, especially regarding how quickly the protagonist falls in love with a man who nearly killed her days before.

I should mention that despite the title, this is not a novel about a girl whose parents run a barbecue restaurant.

review 2019-05-30 16:33
Review: Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1) by Laini Taylor
Strange the Dreamer - Laini Taylor

The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep.

I did it …. I finally read and finished this book. I’m so glad I did.  I did really enjoy this book but it took me a while to get into it. I started it twice put it back , started it again and feel into a reading slump….I didn’t put it back down this time,  I just kept at it really slow and read a few pages every day and I’m glad for it.

Once I got into it, I absolutely loved the word Laini Taylor created with this book.  I liked that is was not too massive while we still get good sized world(s) and with plenty of Characters, quiet few actually, since we get sort of a split world. It’s hard to explain without spoiling it. I really enjoyed all characters, even the not so nice ones.  While I might not have liked them as a person,  I enjoyed the way they were written and portrait.

I wasn’t really sure at first who the villain will be and I liked that we had two candidates and both came through a bit at the end. Just one more than the other.

Of course I loved Lazlo and enjoyed his fresh view and of course his love for books, but I was pretty sure there is more to him than they let us believe in the beginning.  I also enjoyed Eril- Fane and his Mother a lot, he sure was a kind but tortured soul.

I wasn’t so sure about Sarai in the beginning but I ended up loving her……. And her relationship with Lazlo, or the more and less what they had for one that is…….

While I enjoyed their time together it was also a bit odd and left a few things open and questioned by me but overall I really loved it.

Minya was someone I really didn’t like and that never changed….. I just disliked her more and more the more we get into the story. Thyron was someone I’m on the edge on, even now that I’m done… I think more is to come about him …. Maybe .

The ending… while some things I saw coming early on other things were a complete shock to me. I was in awe, how she could end it with such a cruel cliffhanger.

Overall I loved this book, and while I loved her writing but  I thought it was dragging on a bit and was sort of glad for the end of the book. But I’m really looking forward to read the next book and see how she ended it.

I rate it 4 ★

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2019/05/30/review-strange-the-dreamer-strange-the-dreamer-1-by-laini-taylor
review 2019-05-13 22:21
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

I have come back to this series a second time (something I'm not known to do), looking to relive the majesty that was my first encounter with Laini Taylor. I listened on Audible instead of reading it this time around and I am SO glad I did because I love love LOVED it just as much as my initial read through, which is Ah-MAZING to me. The narrator was so incredible that I jumped to look her up to see what else she brought to life and a few have made their way onto my TBR because of her talent. This is most definitely one of my all time favorite series and categorically, hands down one of my all time favorite authors if not #1. Every word is suffused with passion and let me tell you... Mrs. Taylor is a master wordsmith! She will make you feel like you are captivated, entranced and 100% present in the moment. This is achieved with beautific writing, extremely complex and robust characters and majestic world building.

I ship Karou and Akiva so so very much that it hurt (at times) to hear how they would vascillate between "I love you, I can't live another second without you" and "I hate you, I wish I had let you die on that battlefield"...coming together and repelling like magnets... and just like magnets, they repel just as strongly and they unite. Another relationship I am COMPLETELY in love with is Karou + one of the absolute best secondary characters of all time... it is Karou's tiny yet mighty best friend Zuz. Zuzzana is an amazingly sassy, fiesty, loyal tiny tiger of a character. I would totally read any and all future books with her and her handsome, violin playing boyfriend in it!

This book is lyrical yet not pretentious. It is great at making you question just who are the bad guys? Who's at fault? Who started all of this and how will it end? Who will be victorious and at what cost? I can't gush enough about this series. Imho it is shear Perfection! If you are going to check this series out I wholeheartedly suggest that you go the audiobook route, the narrator gave it that little extra jun use qua. I could go on and on but I'll spare you the fangirling and just ask this... why are you still here? GO and immerse yourself...bask in the glory of Laini Taylor's unique mind!

Overall: if you haven't read any of her work then I suggest, with all of my heart, that you start here or with another of her masterpieces, Strange The Dreamer.. you'll thank me later, I promise.

~ Enjoy!

Like Reblog
show activity (+)
review 2019-04-28 05:37
I Promised Myself To Not Struggle Finishing With Books Anymore
The Muse of Nightmares - Laini Taylor

Quitting @20%- (audiobook) I just keep losing interest. I find myself ignoring the audio completely. I am putting it aside I may come back some day or not.

review 2019-03-17 00:00
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor description
This book has utterly disappointed me... C'mon this is way over-hyped...

The writing was meh. It couldn't hold my attention for longer then like 10 min and then I would just get disinterested.

The charterers I kind of liked. They were well developed and none of then felt like they weren't real.

The plot.... OHH BOY THE PLOT.
description
The whole book felt like nothing was happening and it was it always and I mean always felt lackluster... The 400 pages could have been told in about 250 or less.
The cliffhanger left me more annoyed then worried about what's going to happen. It felt like the whole book was just an opening for a series then actually being a book.
The plot is basically about a girl that is living a double life. The first one being fairly ordinary, being an student going thought art collage, the second one not so much, having to go and collect teeth to bring to her so called family. At which point something happens and she is caught having to choose between the two.
Sounds interesting doesn't it?
I'm still wondering how the book it self was so fucking boring but it was.

It felt me with a feeling of disappointment and anger.

But I am going to give this series another chance by continuing with it...