logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Library-Reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-25 02:58
The Paragon Hotel - Lyndsay Faye
The Paragon Hotel - Lyndsay Faye

Let's mourn only for our losses. And never for the things we haven't lost quite yet. We already have an entire language that would be dead if you were.

Let's make it last.

This just might be one of my favorite final lines (Fine. Technically two lines.) in any book every. So good. Ugh. Lyndsay Faye is rapidly climbing my list of must-read authors.

Everything about this book was just. so. good. The characters were brilliant, complicated, hot messes. The interwoven story lines about the struggles of the Paragon Hotel residents and Nobody's time with the Mafia kept me on my toes. More than once I had to force myself to only read two chapters so I wouldn't get lost in this book. I actually had places to be this week.

And then there was that end. I've gotten pretty good at predicting how things are going to end. Wow was I wrong. I did not see that end coming.

Read 6/14/2020-6/24-2020

Book 41/75

review 2020-06-14 23:26
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel García Márquez

First of all, I need to thank Themis for recommending this masterpiece of a story. Themis is also the person who shall be blamed for the expansion in my TBR as I add all of Marquez's work.

In the hands of another author, this story would have been four times as long, drawn out, and boring. Marquez manages to capture so much in so few pages. It's quite a feat. I had sworn to myself I wasn't going to just binge through this book in a day. Chalk that up to yet another promise I've broken. Oops.

review 2020-06-14 15:43
Weighed in the Balance (William Monk #7) - Anne Perry
Weighed in the Balance - Anne Perry

I like the Monk series more than the Pitt series. However, Perry's constantly coincidences are starting to get a little obnoxious. In the Pitt series it's how Emily and Charlotte always seem to find themselves at the party of a suspect before they even know Thomas is investigated said suspect. In the Monk novels, it's how Hester always finds that final piece of the puzzle because of one of her clients. Even over 100 years ago, you can't convince me London was that small. I would believe you if you tried to argue that Perry is the ultimate believer in the Kevin Bacon theory.

Once again, I find myself completely immersed in the courtroom drama. Rathborne is really the star of these books.

Dates read 6/13/2020-6/14/2020

Book 38/75

review 2020-06-10 15:38
Belgrave Square (Thomas and Charlotte Pitt 12) - Anne Perry
Belgrave Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #12) - Anne Perry

These books are so much better when Charlotte and Emily are reduced to background characters. I can only handle so many pages of society scandals. When Thomas is working on his own without the constant meddling assistance of his wife and sister-in-law, the procedure part of the mystery is so much more satisfying.

One thing I always get a kick out of with these books is the character names. I've worked in a school before. I'm familiar with unusual names. However, the names in Perry's books are something just a little more. Sholto. Beulah. And my personal favorite, Theophania. I'm not overly familiar with the naming practices of English residents but there is something to be said for having characters with names outside of Elizabeth, Mary, Henry, or George. This coming from a mother who has an Elizabeth in her own house.

Dates Read 6/7/2020-6/9/2020

Book 36/75

review 2020-05-16 17:52
Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia
Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts - Kate Racculia

I'm going to start with some of my favorite passages from the book. Just so I can remember the potential.

"All relationships are real," said Tuesday. "Friendship can be as deep as the ocean. It's all a kind of love, and love isn't any one kind of thing."

"This was self-medicating drunk, this was it fucking hurts drunk, this was the only way I know how to survive being alive right now is legal poison in my body drunk." -- This line really hit me. I've been that kind of drunk more time than is probably healthy for a person.

"Jesus, he is charming," Dex said to Tuesday. "Charming like a psychopath. Are we sure he's not going to murder us down here?" He paused. "That's a legitimately horrifying thought. Please don't do that to us, Mr. Arches. I haven't drunk half of what I intend to before I die." -----This is one of the many, many reasons Dex was my favorite character.

On with it.

I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this book. I slept on it. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Everything started out so good. This book was fun and funny. It had characters I wanted to drive to Boston and find. It had a treasure hunt. It had brooding billionaires who are hiding secrets. It had a female main character who was wondrously odd and didn't really care what other people thought.

Then it all kind of fell apart. The whole premise of this book was suppose to be some big Boston-wide treasure hunt headed by an eccentric deceased billionaire. Sure that happened. Was it the main focus of the book? Not so much. Tuesday and her "crew" find two clues. Then everything disappears for about 100 pages. The reader then needs to slog through flashbacks, pages of mental anguish, and inner monologues that reminded me of high school football coach pep talks.

Maybe now you're thinking "Well that doesn't really sound like fun". It wasn't fun. But it wasn't not fun either. In other hands, this kind of drop in action might have made this book a DNF for me. Racculia managed to keep me reading. Not necessarily because I wanted to know what happened with the billionaire's game but because I genuinely wanted to know what happened to Tuesday. And Dex. And Archie.

Eventually we come back to the billionaire's game. The fun returns for a minute. Then everything turns strangely dramatic. Bordering on horrific. Rather Lifetime movie like. This is what really brought the book down for me. Even with the slightly boring middle, this book still had the potential to be a five star read for me. Then the end happened. At the end we are given a character who is so basically evil all he needs is a mustache to twirl. I mean, he's just a bastard. He's your typical "I'm rich and I can get away with literally anything I want" kind of dude. Compared to Racculia's other cast of characters, this guy felt completely out of place. At one point, the end of the story felt like I had switched to a completely different story. Subtract two stars.

Then there was the end, end. Without given too much away, it was predictable. Painfully predictable. The only way it might work for me is if the author has plans for a Tuesday Mooney series going forward. This is just the kind of thing that screams cozy series turns into hit television series. Only if Kristen Ritter is Tuesday Mooney.

At the end of the day, would I recommend this book? Umm...I wouldn't not recommend it. It was a light, quick read that sandwiched itself in nicely with some of the more intense reads I have going right now. For a lot of people who are currently having problems reading because the world around them is just too much, this is a book that will help take your mind off things if only for a minute.

Read 5/11/2020 - 5/16/2020