logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Louise-Rennison
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-11-18 10:53
On The Bright Side, I'm Now The Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison
On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God - Louise Rennison

** spoiler alert **Mild if any spoilers.

I love this book. It is nostalgic. I read it in high school, older than the main character is. I was 17 when it was published. As an adult, I did notice some things that young me might not have picked up on.

I didn't like how she joked about being suicidal or wanting to kill herself instead of sitting next to P.Green, a girl she calls Nauseating P. Green. Or all the lesbian jokes, especially with the gym teacher. What is with that stereotype? Sure, they were jokes and I know teenagers can be dramatic like that. The Bummer Twins were the ones usually making fun of Georgia and Jas, calling them lesbians when they were caught in compromising situations, like the girls doing the pencil test to see if they needed bras.

Then there is Dave. I liked him. He seemed like a nice boy for the most part, though he moved a bit quick. Do teens that young really move that fast? I did feel bad for Dave. Georgia is 14, but that should be old enough to know better than to play with someone's feelings, at least I would like to hope so.

Georgia is really mean to Jas, her so called best friend. She has a lot of mean thoughts in general about everyone from classmates, teachers and her own parents. I know she is a teen, but really? It did get a little annoying after the millionth time. I would never think about my parents the way she was constantly thinking and treating them, nor would my parents stand for that type of behavior.

Some of the jokes were really funny, even the one I probably shouldn't have laughed at about the Dalai Lama and what she wondered his father was called.

Maybe I've turned into an old prude, but I still think the so called "Sex God" is too old for her and feel it's weird that her mom never seemed to care. Also the thing with the mom and doctor was odd? Was it necessary?

Over all, I really enjoy this book and want to continue to read the series.

I'll say it here, I hope if she does end up with someone in a more serious way, I hope it is not Robbie. She gets wobbly knees with him, but I feel like there is something she feels for Dave, the "Red Herring" What a horrible name to call someone who likes you.

Other Louise Rennison books:

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (4/5 stars)

show activity (+)
review 2017-07-20 02:58
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison

This book is pretty much what Bridget Jones would have been like in school, although less charismatic in my opinion.

It was okay. It was a pretty quick read, but for me it wasn't entertaining or insightful. It's a pretty run of the mill tween book filled with fat shaming, jokes about suicide, homophobia, and girls tearing other girls down to get the boy.

The only redeeming thing about this book was Libby and Angus. I want either of them to somehow write a diary. I'd read that for sure.

Overall, this was an alright read, but I prefer books for young readers that actually have a message of some sort.

review 2016-04-23 00:00
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison on one hand this reads very true as the diary of a fourteen year old. on the other it's the diary of a fourteen year old.
review 2016-02-19 02:16
Startled by His Furry Shorts by Louise Rennison
Startled by His Furry Shorts - Louise Rennison
Will he be her boyfriend or not? Georgia doesn't know. And she has to wait a week to find out! Georgia doesn't know if she can make it.

And Dave The Laugh possibly loves her! Things are all a bit weird and Georgia is unsure of what to do.

Some parts of this book really made me love. The head sock part just really got me. I think it's because the image of what it would look like came to my mind and it was just so funny.

Really good book and funny. And it ended in a cliffhanger. I am going to try to read the next one soon.

review 2015-11-02 00:00
WITHERING TIGHTS (TALLULAH CASEY)
WITHERING TIGHTS (TALLULAH CASEY) - LOUISE RENNISON

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

3.5 stars

I first discovered Rennison’s writing as a sixth grader in middle school. I picked up her Georgia Nicolson book from the library and fell in love with the outrageously hilarious situations the girl seem to land in with her schoolmates. By the time I had finished the book I was hooked. When I learned Rennison had started another series, I had to pick up Withering Tights. I fervently hoped the same level of funny and awkward would be brought to this spin-off series and thankfully, it was!

The hilarious situations only multiply when Georgia’s 14-year-old cousin is sent to Yorkshire Dales’ performing arts program for the summer. She hopes to make new friends, land her first kiss and grow a pair of boobs (all in all, not too different from her cousin Georgia). What she doesn’t expect is to fall in love with her temporary new school, an evil neighbor who likes to make out with girls under her bedroom window and to fall in lust with a delicious older boy named Alex that is so out of her league.

Wow. This is it. This is me growing up. On my own, going to Performance Arts College. This is good-bye, Tallulah, you long, gangly thing, and helloooooo, Lullah, star of stage and. . .owwwwooo. Ow and ow.

The train lurched and I’ve knocked myself out on the side of the door. I’m bound to get a massive lump. Oh good, I can start college with two heads. . . .

Tallulah is a lot like Georgia, except the lack of bosom (or corkers, as she calls them). Although I can’t relate to any of her body issues personally, we’ve all experienced them and it makes her easily relate-able to teenagers everywhere. It also made her easy to emphasize with, even though she does odd things like messaging her boobs into growing and writes musicals with bicycles.

For some reason, before I started Withering Tights, I had the idea that Tallulah was college-aged, but nope she is actually 14. I wasn’t put off by this because she was such a fun main character and I loved her admittedly strange ways. Rennison really creates the most… unique and entertaining heroines!

I’m not generally a huge fan of drama in my fiction, but the way Rennison brings the drama is so different from your average young adult author. It’s pretty much like watching a trainwreck that you can’t help want to watch over and over. That’s actually a pretty accurate way to describe the entire book. Withering Heights was a nostalgic, bizarre, and utterly amusing experience for me. I had a blast reading it and though I feel like Tallulah and I speak completely different languages, I can’t wait to see what she does next!