I started watching the anime adaptation of this the other day, and I'll probably give the manga a shot at some point. It starts off with a setup that looks like a typical love triangle: cute girl and a good-looking guy who's friends with a big burly dude (the series' main character). But there's a twist: the cute girl actually likes (really really likes) the big burly dude.
The big burly dude, Takeo, falls immediately in love with the cute girl, Yamato, but assumes that she, like all other girls he's crushed on in the past, is really interested in his good-looking friend, Suna. Suna has bluntly rejected every single girl who has ever asked him out, sometimes going as far as to say "I hate you" to their faces...so it looks like there's a good chance Yamato is going to end up hurt. Because Takeo's genuinely a good guy, wants Yamato to be happy, and thinks he's spotted signs that Suna might actually like Yamato back a little, Takeo tries to help Yamato out with Suna. What Takeo doesn't realize is that he has completely misread the situation: Yamato is actually interested in him. (Not exactly a spoiler - this gets revealed pretty early on.)
Things I like about the series so far:
- Yamato is genuinely attracted to Takeo - this isn't a case of "she fell for his personality first and then the rest came later."
- Suna's sister. It looks like she isn't going to be around in the anime much, so I'm hoping she has a larger role in the manga.
- Suna and Takeo's friendship. It looks forced, at first, but later developments flesh it out more. I think I'm more interested in how they became and stayed friends than I am in Takeo and Yamato's romance.
Things I'm not wild about:
- The moments of secondhand embarrassment.
- Takeo's practice kiss. This scene was short, but horrifying enough that I could see it ruining the series for some people. I sincerely hope it isn't in the manga. I'm sure it was intended to be funny, but it wasn't. At all.
- While Takeo and Yamato's romance is sweet, I feel like Takeo would have happily dated and fallen in love with literally any cute girl in the series. On the plus side, at least his interest in Yamato never wavers.