logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: MM-Man-Love
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-17 22:30
Are we, as in humans, headed in this direction???
The Last Town - Blake Crouch

Wayward Pines Series

Blake Crouch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plot surrounds Secret Service agent Ethan Burke's introduction to the remote small town of Wayward Pines, his new home from which he cannot escape. The mysteries and horrors of the town build until Ethan discovers its secret. Then he must do his part to keep Wayward Pines protected from without and within.

~MY QUICKIE (and non-spoiler) REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very mysterious, uniquely done creepy-scary scenario with scy-fy and dystopian-ish elements, this trilogy is a must-read. I loved it, despite certain aspects confusing the heck out of me…I'm inclined to believe that's on me, more than the writing, though.  And geez-louise, what an ending...

If you don't know much about this series…you should keep it that way…and dive in.  Seriously, just do it.  The narration is excellently done for one-person narration.

4.7STARS - GRADE=A

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.5/5  Cliffhanger~ Well…

Book Cover~ Meh…

I used this for Modern Noir Square in Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-10-14 23:21
City of Brass
The City of Brass - S.A. Chakraborty

First, I would like to say I am glad I had someone read this to me, because some of these names, locations and titles were incomprehensible to me.

Now, as for the story, I loved the imagery. The vibrant world and history. But I found this plot wordy and dense. And when it was over, I was also left with a whole lot of unanswered questions. It seemed the plot meandered and snaked, which wouldn't normally be bad. But in this case, I felt like sometimes it forgot what it was trying to convey.

The characters were at least varied. We had the leading man, the womanizing secretly gay prince, the uptight warrior, the political king, the snobby princess. This book covered the whole gamete.

If there is a second in this series, I don't know if I will bother with it.

Edit: This is a trilogy. The second is called The Kingdom of Copper, and from the blurb I'm not interested much at all.

review 2018-10-13 20:13
WTF...this series just keeps getting better, while others did not...I felt this second book surpassed the first.
Wayward (The Wayward Pines Series, Book Two) - Blake Crouch

Wayward Pines

Blake Crouch

~MY QUICKIE (non-spoiler) REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the type of story that you should go into blind…or at least semi-blind.  So I won't say anything about the plot itself.  I was completely absorbed in this audiobook, other than the beginning where I struggled to remember what happened at the end of Pines, I eventually fell into the story and started remembering.  If you decide to read this series...don't watch the TV show, after finishing the first book, I watched about an episode and a half and it has differences in how things play out, that only confused me when I started this book.  What a crazy-scary AF atmosphere that Blake Crouch has masterminded here in this series.  I cannot wait to listen to the third and final book in this series.

4.7STARS - GRADE=A

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.7/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.3/5 Cliffhanger~ Yeah…you could say that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's fitting…

Narration~5 for Paul Michael Garcia, he is perfect in this series.

Series~ Wayward Pines #2

Setting~ Wayward Pines

Source~ I own Audible Audiobook

I used this for Terror In A Small Town Square for Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-10-12 20:35
“Our memories make us... even the darkest of them all.”
Archangel's Consort - Nalini Singh

Guild Hunters Series

Nalini Singh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angels rule over humans and vampires, but the most powerful of them all are the archangels. Beautiful. Deadly. Sometimes cruel. Always unpredictable. There are several different groups represented – the archangels, the angels, the vampires, and the Guild Hunters.

~MY QUICKIE (Non-Spoiler) REVIEW~

Archangel's Consort

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I keep finding reasons (reading challenges) to continue reading this series…even though I'm on the fence about whether I like it or not, and want to continue it.  I'm not saying it's bad…it’s actually well written, with steamy sex scenes and a decent paranormal storyline, but for me personally, I'm just not that into it.  I wonder if my apathetic feelings towards this series as a whole are because of the narration…she (Justine Eyre) seems to imbue this particular series with this sexy, breathy voice that I'm not sure I like.  I have listened to samples of others books she has narrated and she doesn't always sound like that, she actually has a wide range of voice inflections.

3.5STARS - GRADE=B-

Theme or Tone~ 3.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3.8/5

Originality~ 3/5

Ending~ 3.5/5 Cliffhanger~ not really...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ This cover is cool…but the actual cover for Audio Version is kind of ugly.

Narration~ 3.5 for Justine Eyre

Series~ Guild Hunter #3

Setting~ Mostly New York

Source~ Audiobook (Library)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used this for Diverse Voices Square in Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-10-12 04:38
A Kiss for Midwinter (The Brothers Sinister #1.5)
A Kiss For Midwinter - Courtney Milan

This is the first dud in this series for me. It just never really seemed to gel with me and I even contemplated not finishing it but it was short enough that I powered through. The ending is a bit better than the beginning, which was very repetitive. A good ten pages could have been shaved off this without missing anything - or better yet, those pages could have been used to better development this relationship.

Jonas is a nice enough bloke, in his blunt, socially-inept way. But he's still following around a woman with no interest in him, who he falls for in literally a second. And she hates him, but of course that's only because of how he makes her feel and blah blah blah. I just didn't feel the chemistry, and the relationship development felt by-the-numbers. I guess expecting Ms. Milan to write an historical Christmas novella while also avoiding trope pitfalls was asking too much.

I did like Lydia's father, and felt for Jonas's situation with his father. I would have liked to see more of them.