logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Marissa-Meyer
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-21 08:54
#55 - Cinder by Marissa Meyer (reread)
Cinder - Marissa Meyer

I decided to re-read the Lunar Chronicles because it is one of my favourite series ever. And I still love it as much as the first time I read it.

I fell in love with this story and its characters all over again. If you have never read this series I totally recommend it to you. If you love sci-fi and YA, you won’t be disappointed!

The whole series is inspired by fairy tales (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel & Snow White, but there are also a lot of things that reminded me of Star Wars in there!)

I don’t really know what more to say about it, I think I already wrote a review that you can probably find on the blog. Also, as I have already finished the entire series there are things I know are going to happen so I am afraid of revealing spoilers.

I definitely recommend this series if you have not read it yet because it is totally amazing.

review 2018-09-27 01:40
Pretty but problematic
Cinder - Marissa Meyer

I'm divided on this one.

I liked the writing. I liked the stab at representation and consent issues. New takes of old tales are always an interest to me, and the sci-fi slant is just more win.

I could not get over Earland. On his own, he undermines most of the good bits about body-autonomy, consent and chauvinistics screenings. There's this bit where the doc passes on testing the virus/cure combo on a male cyborg ostensibly because he's too old (and in his mind, ostensibly because he has a son), but then gets all gung-ho on testing the teen girl, and a female colleague implies it is because he's a chauvinistic ass. But hey, no! That woman was obviously wrong and overreacting! (oversensitive feminists!) He just knew that the immune one he was looking for would be a cyborg teen girl. He's not racist or anything. It is just a pity that the easiest way to find her was to implement a draft on a group with little body autonomy and they... well... die. The princess (and a cure... that too) must be found! He's just working with the system! Honest! (I kept thinking of The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, and also the Nuremberg Trials, ain't he a peach?)

The other bit that I did not like was the very end.

Cinder is overwhelmed by all the revelations and pretty much giving up, even as Earland gives her the tools to escape and a path forward (Oh yeah, and on that note, this speech is not skeevy at all

But finding you and being able to reinstate you as queen are two very different goals. I have planned this moment for a long time. I can help you.”
Cinder gawked at him as panic gripped her lungs. “Reinstate me as queen?”
The doctor cleared his throat. “I understand you are frightened right now, and confused. Do not think too much. All I’m asking is that you find a way out of this prison. I know you can do that. Then come to Africa. I will guide you through the rest. Please. We cannot let Levana win.”

) she can't even contemplate it till she thinks about her prince *eye-roll*. Yeah, the whole cheese is a bit much, but getting out of dodge? How about not needing a love interest to get the drive to stay alive? (sorry, but Bella consumed any quota of patience for that devise that I ever possessed)

(spoiler show)

And I knew it was a series, but I still hate books that do not resolve the main plot. I like series with myth arcs and more or less self contained volumes. I can count the amount of books I "forgave" cliff-hangers or series' hooks with one hand, so a final demotion, though this one smaller and more personal.

Hell, likely all the cons I wrote there are personal anyway. It likely is the perfect book for many people, and I might still read the rest. I'm just not in as much of a rush as I felt I'd be at the start.

review 2018-09-26 15:59
Review: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

Cinder is back and trying to break out of prison—even though she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive if she does—in this second installment from Marissa Meyer.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother, or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana.

As I slowly make it down my never ending TBR I finally got to Scarlet and I’m so happy I did.

I think I enjoyed this book even a little more than Cinder and I already loved Cinder.

I just love this mix and perfect blend of traditional fairy-tale with SiFi that Meyer has created here with the Lunar Chronicles. This book takes of shortly after we left off with Cinder and we meet Scarlet and Wolf, their traditional counterparts are from Red Riding Hood.

I really enjoyed Scarlet, she was feisty, brave, strong so much more and wouldn’t give up, but she also had her vulnerable moments that made her even more likable.

Wolf on the other hand was not necessarily one of my favorites but I also didn’t not like him. He was just somewhere in the middle. Both of them together overall I enjoyed a lot but thought it was 0 too 100 in a short time but . But I can overlook that pretty easy in this case.

We also meet up with Cinder again who teams up with Thorne who by the way became my favorite Character so far, is just really funny fast think and yeah a heartthrob but he smugly knows it.

Him and Cinder bickering was just the best but they also worked well with each other.

And let’s not forget Iko who makes a comeback in a weird but oddly fitting way, I’m curious to see how it will change if it ever does, but I think it will.

Kai, was all left on his own and I kind of felt bad for him, he was trying to do the best thing and really was trying to do what is best for his people and he is paying the price.

We also learn more about Levina and the Lunas , their background , magic and what they want.

Overall a great second installment in the series and I can’t wait to read the next book and see how it all comes together even more.

I rate this book 4 ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/26/review-scarlet-the-lunar-chronicles-2-by-marissa-meyer
review 2018-08-07 10:57
Kresse trifft Rapunzel
Cress - Marissa Meyer

Eines der Hauptthemen in Marissa Meyers „Lunar Chronicles“ ist die Freundschaft zwischen den Protagonistinnen. Ihre Beziehungen untereinander sind wesentlich wichtiger als ihre Romanzen. In diesem Punkt ließ sie sich von der Anime-Serie Sailor Moon inspirieren, in der weiblicher Zusammenhalt stets einen hohen Stellenwert einnahm. Die Parallelen zu Sailor Moon blieben den Fans der Science-Fiction-Reihe nicht verborgen. Kaiser Kai wird häufig mit Tuxedo Mask verglichen. Meyer selbst sieht sich als Sailor Merkur: eine ehrgeizige, neurotische Perfektionistin, die großen Wert auf Freundschaft legt und bemüht ist, das Richtige zu tun. Es überrascht mich daher nicht, dass sie sich am meisten mit der Hauptdarstellerin des dritten Bandes „Cress“ identifiziert: die scheue, hochintelligente Hackerin Cress, ihre Version von Rapunzel.

Als Cress Cinder warnte, beging sie Hochverrat. Sollte Herrin Sybil jemals herausfinden, was sie getan hat, erwartet sie der Tod. Trotz des immensen Risikos konnte sie einfach nicht länger tatenlos zusehen. Nach sieben einsamen Jahren der Gefangenschaft in einem Satelliten, nach zahllosen Stunden der Spionage, musste sie eingreifen, bevor Königin Levana ihre finsteren Pläne verwirklichen kann. Jetzt fürchtet sie die Besuche von Herrin Sybil mehr als je zuvor. Sie wird nicht ewig verbergen können, dass sie Cinder und ihren Freunden hilft. Glücklicherweise ist Cinders Schiff nur einen Katzensprung entfernt. Cress‘ Befreiung ist zum Greifen nah. Doch die Rettungsmission schlägt fehl. Der Satellit stürzt ab, während Cress und Carswell Thorne an Bord sind – mitten in die afrikanische Wüste, fern jeglicher Zivilisation. Cress und Thorne müssen Cinder und ihre Freunde so schnell wie möglich wiederfinden, wenn sie das Eastern Commonwealth rechtzeitig erreichen wollen, um die Hochzeit von Kaiser Kai und Königin Levana zu verhindern. Die Hochzeit, die sein Todesurteil wäre und das Schicksal der Erde besiegeln könnte…

Ich glaube, was mir an den „Lunar Chronicles“ am besten gefällt, ist das Wachstum der Geschichte. Mit jedem Band erweitert Marissa Meyer ihre Dimension zuverlässig, steckt kontrolliert neue Grenzen und etabliert neue Charaktere, Konflikte und Aspekte des Worldbuildings. Daher birgt jeder Band das Potential, mich zu überraschen – sowohl in sich selbst, als auch in seiner Funktion für die Reihe. Es ist eine wahre Freude, Meyers Ehrgeiz und ihre kreative Beweglichkeit zu beobachten. Nach den Abenteuern in „Cinder“ und „Scarlet“, die den Leser_innen Meyers Versionen von „Aschenputtel“ und „Rotkäppchen“ vorstellten, lernen wir nun im dritten Band „Cress“ ihr „Rapunzel“ kennen. Die Rahmenbedingungen der Adaption sind gewohnt futuristisch: Cress lebt seit ihrer Kindheit isoliert in einem Satelliten und späht für Königin Levana die politische Elite der Erde aus. Im Vergleich zu „Scarlet“ fand ich die Idiosynkrasien des Märchens in diesem Band hervorstechender und auffallender, weshalb mir die Adaption insgesamt gelungener erschien. Cress verkörpert Rapunzel überzeugend, da Meyer ihre Figur den Umständen ihres Aufwachsens entsprechend charakterisierte. Mit neun Jahren wurde sie aufgrund ihres Talents als trickreiche Hackerin in den Satelliten gesperrt. Seitdem hatte sie so gut wie keinen direkten Kontakt zu anderen Individuen. Ihre sozialen Kompetenzen sind unterentwickelt. Sie ist schüchtern, unsicher, naiv und flüchtet sich gern in Tagträume. Trotz ihrer extrem coolen Fähigkeiten, die das Vorurteil, Mädchen hätten keinen Draht zu Technik, Lügen strafen, erinnert sie stark an das klassische Fräulein in Nöten. Ich muss gestehen, dass ich deshalb so meine Schwierigkeiten mit Cress habe. Ich mag sie, aber sie ist einfach unfassbar süß, kein bisschen taff und schnell überfordert. Mir ist Cinder immer noch am liebsten, weil ich mich am besten mit ihrer pragmatischen und ernsthaften Art identifizieren kann. Nichtsdestotrotz fand ich, dass sich die bisher jüngste Protagonistin innerhalb der Handlung von „Cress“ gut schlägt, die jedoch leider erst auf den letzten 150 Seiten wirklich Fahrt aufnimmt und deren Struktur ein wenig unoriginell geriet. Meyer trennt ihre Figuren, was vermutlich der älteste Kniff der Welt ist, um Spannung aufzubauen. Cress steckt sie mit Thorne zusammen, wodurch er mehr Tiefe erhalten sollte. Für mich hat diese Strategie nicht so recht funktioniert, ich sehe ihn weiterhin als den zu gewollt witzigen Sidekick, der kaum etwas zur Geschichte beiträgt. Nach dem Absturz des Satelliten müssen sie sich zu zweit ohne Ausrüstung oder Verpflegung durch die Sahara kämpfen. Sie verbringen eine intensive Zeit miteinander, wodurch ihre Romanze bereits vorgezeichnet wirkt. Weiblicher Zusammenhalt hin oder her, offenbar braucht auch in den „Lunar Chronicles“ jede Prinzessin ihren Prinzen. Eben ganz im Stil der Märchen.

Meiner Meinung nach sind die „Lunar Chronicles“ besonders für junge Leserinnen ein gefundenes Fressen, weil sie so viele unterschiedliche Identifikationsmöglichkeiten bieten. Marissa Meyers Fokus auf weibliche Protagonistinnen, die nicht an omnipotente Superheldinnen erinnern, sondern durch ihre Stärken und Schwächen lebendig wirken, lädt herzlich zu der Überlegung ein, wem man denn nun am ähnlichsten ist: Cinder, Scarlet oder vielleicht doch eher der zarten Cress? Dank des für die Young Adult ungewöhnlich emanzipierten Frauenbildes begrüße ich den Hype um die Romane, obwohl für mich Marissa Meyer selbst der Star der Reihe ist. Der unermüdliche, logische Ausbau ihres Worldbuildings, mit dem sie auch im dritten Band „Cress“ punktet und die beeindruckende Leistung, verschiedene Märchen respektvoll zu einer individuellen und stimmigen Geschichte zu kombinieren, begeistert mich bisher mehr als jede der Figuren. Das könnte sich allerdings mit „Fairest“ ändern, in dem sie die Geschichte von Königin Levana offenbart. Ich hatte schon immer ein Herz für böse Königinnen

Source: wortmagieblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/marissa-meyer-cress
review 2018-07-29 09:31
#42 - Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Renegades - Marissa Meyer

I was excited about this book but also a bit scared because I had read mixed reviews. But in the end it was really great and I can’t wait to read more about this world and its characters.

I am all about superheroes these days, after reading Vicious and watching The Incredibles last week! The book was fast-paced, fun and entertaining.

I loved the duality between the good guys and the bad guys, which is not at all what it seems, the villains not really being villains and the heroes who are not really what they seem.

Nova is a really great character and her relationships with the Renegades is interesting and complex. I really love the fact that she understands the Renegades are not all bad and the Anarchists are not all good either. We have both perspectives and it was nice.

I really would have liked to learn more about new abilities, some of them were really intriguing and I needed more!

Anyway, I can’t wait to read what is next.