logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Maximum-Ride
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2016-08-19 01:48
Review: Fang! (Maximum Ride #6)
Maximum Ride: Fang - James Patterson

Total: 2

In Dept

Best Part:
It ended.

Worst Part: I can't even.

Thoughts Had: Please stop writing. I will pay you to STOP!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
...

Recommending: no

Short Review: SPOILER ALERT!!! Thank the damn heavens Fang is dead. Maybe Max will go back to wanting to save the world, doubtful, but maybe. Think it's time to let Angel go. She has turned straight up evil and I'm sure is a robot. I don't see how anyone likes this book. Max is 15 ish but acts and talks like she's 8 now. The main plot is completely forgotten. I just don't care about a single thing about this series.

Misc.

Book Boyfriend: Dead Fang ;) haha. sorry had to.

Best Friend Material: No.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2016-02-13 09:51
Maximum Ride Forever - James Patterson

Okay. So this is my first review and I just thought that I had to get my thoughts out here on this book. I am a HUGE fan of the Maximum Ride series and I read the series every year during winter...I know, kind of crazy...but this one was different. I was a little hesitant after hearing that there was going to be a new book to the series but my immediate reaction was excited. After it came out my spirits dropped considerably.

It has been about nine months since I read the book and it has taken me about nine months to get over it. Personally, I loved Nevermore and loved how it ended. Maybe for some people it wasn't closure enough but for me it was perfect. Max Ride Forever?? Not so much. I have hence blurred it from my memory and pretended it doesn't exist. And because of that blurring I have forgotten a lot of the details in the plot of Max Ride Forever, except for some glaring exceptions.

1. The fact that Akila, Jeb, Dr. Martinez, Ella, and all of the other people who were stuck in the underground tunnels just died.

2. Fang having to leave....Again.

3. Dylan still wanting to be with Max even though I thought he was over it.

4. Dylan's death (And you thought I forgot.)

5. Max getting pregnant!!! (Don't even get me started.)

Most of these I won't go into too much detail, but basically just understand that all of these things made my blood boil. Mainly I feel that a lot of the problems that were resolved in Nevermore resurfaced again in Forever and that made a lot of the book feel kind of repetitive. I can't explain how much I hate the fact that Max got pregnant but I still won't think too much on that. Too soon.

Overall I really, really disliked the book and I know that a lot of people liked it but I just can't. I loved how in Nevermore the earth was reborn in a new age just as Max was reborn into a new self. I feel like Forever took that new world and made it feel like a wasteland and horrible instead of beautiful and fit for the flock. I get that James Patterson wanted the new world to seem more realistic after the disasters but i was happy with the ending the series had originally. Who cares if it's somewhat unrealistic, so is the book's whole premise for crying out loud.

I still love the Max Ride series and I will still keep reading them but I just can't count Forever as part of the series. In my mind the series ended after Nevermore.

I hope this review was helpful and sorry for being kind of a downer. If you have any thoughts feel free to comment!

-Avery W.

review 2015-06-10 00:00
Maximum Ride Forever
Maximum Ride Forever - James Patterson I don't understand why be upset about a book coming out? Why take the time to write a review of a book you haven't read in a series you claim not to like? And after all that bitching you still read it?

first of all, James Patterson must be doing something right. secondly, all these people must have way too much time on their hands.
This is the first review I've written on here, bc all the other ones from people that hadn't even read it yet wrote confused me. No, it wasn't as good as the first books, but it did wrap everything up. He did drag it out a bit, but overall, I really liked the series!
review SPOILER ALERT! 2015-05-19 21:30
Maximum Ride Forever Review
Maximum Ride Forever - James Patterson

sighs Okay I'm doing this...I'm really doing this...

I finished Maximum Ride Forever (which I will refer to as Forever) in basically three and a half hours. Honestly, it was rollercoaster of feels, just like every Max Ride book has been. Reading the first few pages I nearly cried I had missed Max and the flock so much.

First main event: Dylan "dies." Is it bad that I didn't feel sad? I actually texted my friend "Yay!" I never liked Dylan. He got in the way of Max and Fang was just too perfect. I never formed a liking for him, even after this book.

Second main event: Angel basically breaks up the flock. If she wouldn't had opened her big mouth about going to Russia the flock would still all be together. Yeah sure they lived and everything in the end but I didn't like it. She had to talk about Fang dying again and I was like "didn't we already go through this in FANG?" Max and Fang have sex (ugh I should have seen chapter 88 coming) and he leaves in typical Fang style. The Iggy and Gazzy pack up and leave. Angel's like "I'm going to Russia!" and leaves. Max, Nudge and Total are left. (Oh yeah Alika died D: )

Max, Nudge and Total go off back to the island only to find no one(shocking) except the gills people who confirm that Dr. Martinez and Ella are dead. I was really kind of sad. I thought they would somehow had survived (but no, sadly). Max ultimatly leaves Nudge and Total there going off to Russia only to end up in Africa and face off with these cannibal people and eat termites.

Horseman sneaks in a "kills" Nudge and Total. I cried because I thought it was real at the time and didn't know that the Horseman was actually Dylan. And Max has no idea about it. Fang's doing some stuff on the west coast of America like nearly getting killed by these people and then Star shows up (I wanted to kill her, I'm still not over her betrayal).

Then it cuts to Iggy and Gazzy who get ambushed by these amazon girls. And ultimately you think Gazzy and Iggy die from the Horseman. I cried I really did. I told my friend "oh! I see how Patterson's tying up loose ends, he's kill everyone. Okay."

And Angel's doing....I don't know. I don't remember. That's how much I lost respect for her.

Fang eventually finds Dylan fighting improved Erasers. And I'm shouting "GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE FANG. DON'T DIE." Because that was supposed to be his death as Angel showed him in her vision. But of course, he does the Fang things and tries to help Dylan. I don't think it was Fang's death that hurt me the most...they tore off his wing. That broke me and I really don't know why. And then Fang died. (But I knew Fang was alive because I cheated and saw his name later on xD)

Oh and Jeb's there.

Dylan meets up with Angel and Max suddenly and I'm cussing Angel and Dylan out in my head because of the traitorous people they are. Then Dylan says he didn't actually kill everybody and he just faked their deaths....except for Fang. Fang is really dead. My feels broke.

Oh and you find out Dylan is a Horseman. Okay.

Long story short the three of them meet up with everybody in Russia, all the mutants, the flock and other people Angel gathered. And Angel basically leads them into battle and that's what really makes me mad. Max is the leader. Not Angel. Max should have been the one doing that. I don't care if Angel is physic or whatever. Max has always been the leader and Angel just kind of pushed her from that role. Sorry, let me rephrase that, a bitchy little seven year old pushed her from that role.

Battle time. Yay! Max finds Dr. Hans and they realize he's the bomb or whatever so Max takes him and flies really far away and is talking to him and he's going on and on about Max's generation dying out and stuff. And then basically Max is like "Stfu I'm pregnant" and she drops him and lets him die.

And I thought this was really powerful. Except for like erasers or something like that, Max hasn't killed anyone (correct me if I'm wrong) I clearly remember her saving the bad guys or them dying not because of her. This is Max's first kill.

And the pregnancy thing. Really, Patterson, really? Ughh..okay I could go on forever about this but I won't. Okay. I'm done.

Dylan shows Max that he has Fang's body in the lab and has been working to restore him to life. Dylan asks Max is she wants him to she she says she does and then Dylan dies cause the price was his life. (YAY!).

But Fang's alive and I'm super happy.

EPILOGUE TIME

Fang's really alive and everyone has to go underground because of nuclear winter or whatever. And Max has a daughter named Phoenix and after like 5 years they leave underground and all the bird kids go to South America or something for some reason and live there.

And that's where Max is writing the novels from. And at the very end Fang and Max take a first flight with their daughter.

THE END.

But really...things that disappointed me: Angel (I still hate her so much), Angel being the leader (hate that too), Dr. Martinez and Ella are dead (*forever crying*), the whole pregnancy thing.

And now...I don't really know if I like Forever or Nevermore more. I kinda wish things were like they were at the end of Nevermore. At least then everyone was alive and I didn't have to go through the stupid love triangle thing again.

Ugh, whatever. What did you think? Comment below!

review 2015-02-27 15:34
Giving into that Damned Cover Art
Soul Eater vo.1 - Atsushi Ohkubo
Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 2 - Atsushi Ohkubo
Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 - James Patterson,NaRae Lee
Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 2 - James Patterson
The Death of Bunny Munro - Nick Cave
Negima! Volumes 1-3 - Ken Akamatsu

For the past week or so, my reading material has been... influenced by what looks bright and shiny.  I am now over this urge, but here is my report from the field of judging books by their covers.

Soul Eater: Not!

I was spooked off of the original Soul Eater series when I saw the first episode and was all like

But then I flipped through the first couple of pages of this manga and was charmed by the supposed premise of a girl wanting to fall in love and be involved in a love triangle with two boys (weirddd) but ends up the object of focus of two other girls who want to use her as their weapon (don't ask, just accept).   It seemed to be saying that friendship is more important than grade-school, treehouse love, but then we get into the second volume and we get to a five-car train pile-up of generic manga bullshit.   We don't see them progress as students, it sort of turns into this high-school drama/comedy like it's Azumanga Diaoh or something, with stuff going on with students that are cooler than the three we're following.  I'm not against the idea of the focus characters NOT being the bad-ass characters, but only when it's done with great effect and some finesse - instead, when in the second volume we leave the real and awesome shit that the non-NOT characters are up to, then I want to quit reading.  I really just don't care about the supposed awesome antics of school girls at school, Japan.

I mean, come on, I lived that shit.  I don't find it all that exciting - that's why I find most teen books to be gawbage, because teen characters are much less interesting than adults and people insist on writing them in little societies that mirror school life.

And then we run into two characters that are crossovers from the original Soul Eater series, and I just about give up. Two street kids who act like diiiiiicks, but we, the reader, are supposed to empathize.  Because they lack basic human manners.

Hey, uh, guys, what's going on with the plot of this whole series?  Anywhere?  When are we going to stop introducing side plots and characters?  Never?  Ah.  Ok...

So, yeah, I tried the first two volumes and the second one stumbled and fell under the weight of all of the added extras that just end up making the whole thing collapse on itself.

Maximum Ride Manga Adaptation

And here was one that I did not give a fair shake to, but ended up surprising me.  I mean, I would never end up reading the original books, because based on what I've read, it looks kind of like wet-ass copy from a better science fiction manga or anime with weaker characters, but hey, it's manga. I can read this quick and NaRae Lee apparently did an awesome job transforming whatever it is that she had to work with into something while being pretty skin-deep shojo action fodder into something easily readable and enjoyable in small bursts.

Seriously, though, that Korean manga artist didn't even KNOW English prior to working on this adaptation, which shocks me.  Everything in this to me screamed to be an American manga adaptation, but she did an amazing job in not making it look like it was done by a non-American - well, save for the fact that the art is in that minimalistic but still quite consistently pretty look that most manga imported from Asia looks.

...And as for American manga - uhh guys, are you guys alright? I'm starting ot get worried - I mean, why can't you take the ether rags off of your mouths? Is someone holding all of you hostage? Guys?

As far as lunch break, action-packed reading goes, I've done better but I've also done far worse.  I would rent or borrow this one, at least based on what I've read.  It's sort of like there's kids with wings on the run from this shadow government that's like the Men in Black who cannot do their jobs properly for whatever reason (and I mean, this time it's BLATANT, from almost killing them on several occasions to outright leaving them alone, stating that they don't want to kill them - wat) and there's a lot of actually quite good character back and forth between the teens and the kid, so as long as you don't think about it too much, then you're good to go.

Based on this, I would not waste my time on reading the original book series by James Patterson.  This thing's trains of logic are constantly and consistently looking frayed, with pieces of string peeling loose on its own from the overall thing and you just being unable to stop picking at it and pulling it loose.  I cannot even imagine reading this in novel form - by the half of the first, I would have to quit reading due to the vast amount of stupid.

The Death of Bunny Munroe

Just watch Filth.  It's the same thing - sex addict's life goes down to his lowest - but the movie's far superior.  Also, I don't have to envision pop singer's vaginas.  It's not like I mind, but I like my pop singer vagina thoughts to be kept in moderation.  I'm already having enough trouble moderating my own perverted thoughts as it is, I don't need much additions when it doesn't serve some good purpose.

Filth stars the guy who's Charles Xavier in Xmen: First Class sexually harassing the woman who played as Moaning Myrtle via telephone.  The movie wins by default.  It's also far funnier and the main character seems to be more of a guy who can do things instead of constantly and consistently jacking off all the time.   Like have sex.  Or sexually harassing Moaning Myrtle.

Negima!

After a few instances of really impressive art - I mean, waaaayyy more imprressive and detailed than most mangas try for, with a lot going on it the panels - it dried up within twenty minutes of reading, falling into creepy town with half-naked children and assurances that one teen girl wouldn't fall in love with a ten-year old! Ugh, get this creepy shit away from me!

APPARENTLY SO