logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Meow
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2018-03-31 22:46
Dial Meow for Murder
Dial Meow for Murder (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery) - Bethany Blake

It's almost Halloween and the small town of Sylvan Creek is preparing a gala fundraiser for Fur-ever Friends Pet Rescue. It's being held on the lawn of a mansion that is said to be haunted. What's even more frightening for Daphne Templeton is that she finds the owner of the house, Lillian Flynt, dead. Daphne's dog, Socrates, is with her every step of the way as she ultimately figures out who the murderer is.

This is the book that took me out of my reading slump! Dial Meow for Murder is the second book in the Lucky Paws Petsitting series. I have read the third one first then this one but have not yet read the first. I suggest starting at the beginning because there was a spoiler in this one, however I'm sure it won't spoil my enjoyment when I get my hands on Death by Chocolate Lab. I love this series. Everyone and everything seems so real and authentic and so damn cozy and festive. The whole story flows well. The animals all have their own personality. I was suspecting everyone, they all had their own reasons why Lillian Flynt should disappear. This one also includes recipes for our furry babies. I may even attempt the Pumpkin-Peanut-Butter Ghosts! I can't wait to read the first one and the fourth when it comes out later this year! Exclamation points all around!!

review 2017-09-18 00:27
Where Did Those Names Come From???
Dial Meow for Murder (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery) - Bethany Blake
After enjoying "Death by Chocolate Lab" so much I knew I had to request this installment the minute I saw it offered on Netgalley. In "Dial Meow for Murder," the main character, Daphne, once again finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time when she finds the body of a wealthy philanthropist during a Halloween gala at the woman's home. Despite the objections from Jonathan Black, the local detective, Daphne continues to look into the murder and gets into all kinds of predicaments along the way.

I felt this second installment was just as strong as the initial one. I enjoy the interaction between Daphne and her family, as well as her best friend. There is still some sexual tension going on between Daphne and Jonathan, but if the author is planning on hooking them up eventually, she is taking her time which makes me very happy as I am not a fan of insta-love. In addition, Jonathan's ex has shown up in town and it's unclear if there is a reconciliation in the future between the two.

What I like best about this series is the connection with the pets. The entire town seems quite pet-centric and since it takes place in October, there are lots of pet-centered activities throughout. In addition, we get to see more of Daphne's dog Socrates than in the first book. This book does introduce some new cat characters, as probably deduced from the title, named Tinkleston and Himmelfarb. I mainly mention them because I would love to ask Blake how she came up with these names!

"Dial Meow for Murder" is a wonderful cozy mystery and is a must read for anyone who enjoys the genre and likes animals to boot. The mystery takes a few twists and turns along the way and because Daphne is a far-from-perfect character, her day to day actions are a lot of fun to read about. This installment has left me anxiously awaiting book #3.

I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book will be used for my cozy mystery square on my 2017 Halloween Bingo Challenge.

review 2017-07-09 07:20
Not what I expected
Meow (Dreamboat Island Book 3) - Steve M... Meow (Dreamboat Island Book 3) - Steve Milton

After seeing the number of four and five-star reviews on this one, I realize I'm in the minority here, but this one wasn't what I expected. For a RomCom, I didn't find much to laugh about. Blakes sarcasm had the potential to be humorous, but it fell a bit flat and the story often seemed stilted. There was one sort of interesting twist, but it was too little, too late at that point. Like the humor, the story did have potential, it just needed more depth, IMO.

show activity (+)
review 2017-04-16 14:23
Meow Means Mischief - Ann Whitehead Nagda,Stephanie Roth
I really enjoyed this book.

It is simple and easy to read for young readers, but there are complex themes in it. I loved how Nagda addressed Rana's journey to fit in at a new school and the evolution of her attitudes toward the "wrong grandma". A great book about accepting who you are and embracing people's differences.

Obviously the cat adventures were humorous and cute. Well written and realistic.

I loved the way the book came full circle at the end.

This is a heart warming story of a girl, a stray cat, a grandmother, and the love they develop for each other.
review 2016-09-25 00:00
Cat's Meow
Cat's Meow - Robin Wainwright Cat's Meow - Robin Wainwright Enjoyable, really magical and witchy ♥