logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Mercy-Thompson
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog
review 2020-04-17 14:32
Smoke Bitten
Smoke Bitten - Patricia Briggs

Stares GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Wow. Never has a series fallen like this for me before.The Mercy Thompson series is just a lot of filler and rehashing of older story-lines and the Alpha & Omega series...woo boy just go read up on the last book, fans are still reeling from that mess.

The newest Mercy book had too much going on (fae on a rampage, lone wolves kidnapping and setting up to take over the Pack, Aurielle and Christy BS (again), Jesse and her relationship/future, people close to Mercy in danger again, Adam and Mercy's relationship (again), Bran and the Pack (I still hate Bran), Wulffe and his stalking, what Underhill is up to. I don't know, I probably forgot something.

All of this together didn't work, there were moments that cracked me up (hence the 2 stars) and then I would get back to the plodding plot and be annoyed all over again. I honestly think that Briggs should start thinking of a way to wrap up this series. She can look to how Ilona Andrews handled the end of the Kate Daniels series and how she used that series to open up another one starring our favorite terrible character, Hugh. At this point, I don't care about the Pack, I am getting annoyed with the fae, and the vampires seem to be the only ones with any kind of sense (except for Wulffe).

"Smoke Bitten" starts off with a fight. We don't know what's going on, but quickly are brought up to speed that Aurielle listened to Adam's ex-wife again, opened up Jesse's mail (WTF) and got in Mercy's face. Hey remember when Adam said if someone disrespected his wife that was it? Yeah that no longer matters cause something is wrong with Adam and Mercy's mate bond. BTW I guessed at what was wrong cause hey the last book, but it took way too long for Adam and Mercy to get there.

Oh back to Aurielle's BS. I no longer want to hear about Adam's ex, she's awful and at least everyone told Aurielle she was being stupid. I honestly wish she and Daryl would leave the Pack.

Oh that's another thing, they have lost members so now the Pack is hurting for some new wolves. Oh hello lone wolves who are trying to take the Pack from Adam. No we have not heard of you all before, but it's great that Charles just has dossiers for everyone.

Oh look, now we have Wulffe threatening Mercy and stalking her. Let's all ignore that for most of the book.

Oh a fae that is dangerous got loose from Underhill and has the power to shapeshift after biting people? Interesting. Yeah interesting. Only Mercy has the power to defeat him? How Mary Sue of her.

Honestly the whole book was like this. It just gets boring after a while. The only thing that made me roll my eyes was of course there is a fae that has a power that doesn't work on Mercy so it's up to her to save the day. I can't with this mess anymore.

The character of Mercy stays consistent I will give her that. She's dumb again about a lot of things and not so dumb on others. I really hated her whole phone conversation with Bran. Him talking like a fortune cookie on some things made me roll my eyes. Hey Bran, still a terrible character after the reveal in the last book? Yes? Okay be gone.

Adam and his issue was so ridiculous I have nothing for it. I literally went, so are they both stupid now? Just tell someone what is going on!

The Aurielle thing eh. We get a dumb reason for her disrespect of Mercy that makes zero sense and I no longer care.

Jesse and Aiden are highlights in this one, so is Warren. Marsilla too for refusing to take Mercy's call and calling Adam back. Stay petty Marsilla.

The writing and flow was all over the place in this one. The Pack is constantly rushing around dealing with lone wolves, killer fae, oh wait here's Wulffe, they are under attack, etc.

The ending was a big what the hell was that. I mean two characters serenade Mercy and I fell over laughing. I don't know you guys. I am glad I no longer auto-buy these so I am not out any money. They are definitely library reads for me for the foreseeable future.

review 2019-11-24 23:34
Fire Touched
Fire Touched (A Mercy Thompson Novel) - Patricia Briggs

This was an improvement from the last book.  Finally the pack fully accepts Mercy as one of their own.  That constant pettiness and disrespect toward her was really, really aggravating.  Let's hope it continues since that respect has been hard won.  This opens with a troll invading their territory and a proclamation that Mercy makes.  Zee and Tad are back.  We are introduced to Aiden, a boy who has lived in Underhill for a very time that has ability over fire.  There are new developments that happen with the fae.

The Pack and the fae sign a contract of neutrality that means pack lands (the Tri Cities) are neutral territory.  Mercy's walking stick (the fae artifact) is destroyed while it saved her life.

(spoiler show)
review 2019-06-09 23:57
"Storm Cursed - Mercy Thompson #11" by Patricia Briggs
Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson #11) - Patricia Briggs,Lorelei King

I came late to the Mercy Thompson series. I read the first book, "Moon Called"in January 2017, nearly eleven years after it was published and was hooked immediately. This was Urban Fantasy as I'd always hoped it would be. I've been playing catch up ever since and it's been tremendous fun.

"Storm Cursed", book eleven in the series, was the first one I'd had to pre-order (OK, was too impatient NOT to pre-order) so I'm finally up to date.

I did wonder how this book would go. Many series start to fade by the time they get to book eleven. Book ten, "Silence Fallen" had tried to stay fresh by moving the venue to Europe and telling some of the story from Adam's point of view. It was fun but I hoped for a return to a Mercy-centric story.

When "Storm Cursed" arrived, I pushed my current book aside and dived in.

It was wonderful: familiar but vibrant and with enough new things to keep it fresh. I love that feeling of coming home to a book.

The good things were:

• "Storm Cursed" goes back to telling the story from Mercy's point of view. I like being inside her head. She's not quite the same Mercy. She's a little more cautious, a little cannier, a lot more powerful and very, very aware of her need for friends and allies.
  • The witchcraft-centred plot worked well for lining Mercy up to call on all of her allies, vampire, fae, goblin, even her half-brother, to win the day.
  • Mercy's snarky humour still works for me and the action scenes delivered.

The things that didn't work well:

• Pack dynamics haven't moved on. I struggle to believe that Mercy is still getting hassle from the likes of Mary-Joe
  • Yet again, Adam, the Pack and Bran get sidelined. I see that this puts Mercy centre stage but it's wearing a little thin.
  • Yet again we have evil but incompetent government folks making a mess. I know that, given the current occupant of the White House, the government being evil and incompetent might be taken as a given but in Mercy's world I'd hoped for a little development.
  • The whole thing with the cutlas seemed odd. An M16 or even a Ka-Bar knife I could see coming in handy but a cutlas only works in video games.

I'm a fan, invested in the series and I had a good time but… I do wonder where we go from here.

Nevertheless, I'll pre-order book twelve when it becomes available. In the meantime, I'll catch up on the Alpha Omega books where I've only read book 0.5 and book 1.

Like Reblog
review 2019-05-10 18:57
Wow. Not in a Good Way.
Storm Cursed - Patricia Briggs

So. I initially was just going to give this three stars and move along. However, after thinking it through this morning, this book honestly doesn't deserve 3 stars (okay). This book's pacing was off, there was about zero character development, too much repetition, and I think at one point I even said to myself that this book was just filler. It's a book to bridge to the next Alpha/Omega book or the next Mercy Thompson. The book synopsis on this one sounded so bad ass and it had me convinced to go ahead and buy/read this even though the last Alpha/Omega book left a bitter taste in my mouth. Now I am just mad that I didn't suck it up and wait for it via my library. I don't know constant readers if this series is meant to go on. Maybe if Briggs decides to do some books set pre-Mercy that follow some of the interesting events mentioned in this and other books. I feel like the Mercy/Adam thing is getting boring and I am just so done with the black witches plots.

"Storm Cursed" follows after not only the last Mercy Thompson book, but also Alpha/Omega. Mercy is now training with a cutlass (I maybe laughed a few times not in glee about this) and carries it with her everywhere. After being kidnapped in the last book, apparently the cutlass has everyone calm about her protecting herself. I don't know, it makes no sense to me. Due to Mercy and her proclamation of sanctuary she and the Pack are involved with more disputes. And now Adam and the Pack are being asked to give security to a delegation including the United States government and also the fae. However, per usual, someone wants to throw a wrench in there and stop this meeting from going down. Supernatural things occur. The end.

The characters in this one were all over the place. I can tell you right now that I would have been happy to not read that Adam is most likely a Republican and voted for a President that sounds similar to Donald Trump. I just cannot today right now.

Image result for are you serious gif

So Mercy. I don't get why at this point she doesn't start to punch the next werewolf that talks crap about her compared to Adam's first wife. I loathed the character of Christy and the fact that the Pack had the nerve to treat Mercy like an outsider when she popped back up in "Night Broken" (Mercy Thompson #8) still ticks me off. And yet Briggs has the character of Mary freaking Jo bring up again how Mercy is not good enough for Adam and he needs someone delicate like Christy. Hey you all remember how Adam put out that whole I will kill the next person who disrespects my mate in "Fire Touched"? Well it's nice that it's referenced, but ignored in this one. At this point I would not weep if Mary Jo had a bad end. I am over Mercy trying to get these idiots on her side. We also don't have Mercy really interacting with any of the long time favorites in this one besides Adam. We get brief appearances of Ben, Warren, (we hear about Kyle), I don't recall Jessie being around, etc. She meets up with Stephen and once again I don't want to hear about the bond or any of that crap anymore. Either Mercy does something about it, or just moves on from it. I swear we spent too much time inner monologuing with Mercy in this one. There's not a lot of development with Mercy though in this one besides one or two things that may be interesting in future books. I just wish she got more female friends and started to actually push back when people treat her badly. It's getting old.

Adam. See above.

Go Fuck Yourself Middle Finger GIF

Secondary characters we have followed get some more screen time in this one. We have a lot of focus on Zee and Tad which was welcomed. However, I call BS on a whole subplot dealing with Zee having to face repercussions from the Gray Lords if he helped Mercy. Either follow through or quit bringing it up.

Stephen reappears in this one and also Marsilla (via phone) as I said, it's crazy to me how so many scenes dealt with Mercy talking to someone via phone, text, etc. Yet we get about 20 mentions of this stupid Pirate game all of the werewolves love.

We have mentions of Bran (shudder) and Charles, but no appearances and that makes zero sense after the events in the last book. What irks me is that Briggs tries to write around this by saying that no one can know that Bran is still really connected to the Pack cause he cares about Mercy. Yeah but based on the plot in this book and the last Alpha/Omega book there's no freaking way that they would not have called at least Charles. It's beyond stupid. There's also a throwaway line about Bran's traitor that made me roll my eyes.

Speaking of traitors...is this going to be a thing every book? Long time characters we have gotten to know totally pop up not being who they have been through 11 freaking books? I won't spoil, but I hated this entire plot and thought it was not well thought out at all.

Image result for this is boring gif

And I just realized that Samuel has been missing for like 5 books. I guess he's just gone now. Along with Mercy's supposed female friends and half sisters.

Also there's a whole character that is introduced in this one who is apparently a gay woman who is married and has the nerve to call the Pack and fae abominations and how they are against Christianity and how no one didn't just hold up a mirror to her face and walk away from her is beyond me. I know people are this clueless in real life, but it made zero sense. There's also some language about ICE and how those with brown skin are being treated. If Briggs wants to touch upon the terribleness of the US government now that's fine, but the fact she turned Adam into a Republican. I am now rooting for him to get taken out by a rogue witch or werewolf.

Image result for i said it gif

Seriously though, this book was just not great. The pacing was so bad from beginning to end. I saw a lot of reviewers complaining about how slow it was. It wasn't just that in my opinion. We have Mercy and Adam going over everything regarding the events in Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7) and I just didn't want to relive all of that. It was beyond tedious and the reasoning and linkages did not make a lot of sense and I saw a couple dozen plot holes. At one point I was tempted to quit at 40 percent due to nothing really happening yet.

The world building in the Mercy Thompson series has always been one of its biggest strengths. I have to say though after what happened in "Burn Bright" I no longer want to hear about how werewolves can detect a lie. We already know that's not true and even in one scene again the werewolves that Mercy were with didn't catch the falsehood. So let's stop repeating it in every book.

The whole thing with witch-born people. Look it matters cause of Bran and Charles and all, but woo boy at this point we know that they have different reactions to magic. It's the 11th book. I don't need to have to keep reading how magic doesn't work on Mercy the way it does on others. If you somehow stumbled onto this as your first Mercy Thompson book that's not my fault. The author should realize that she's writing for long time readers, not pop-ins.

The ending was just a mess. It doesn't seem like this series is going to have a good stopping point and I wonder if there is a way to course-correct.

review 2019-05-08 15:26
Frost Burned - Patricia Briggs
Night Broken - Patricia Briggs
Fire Touched (A Mercy Thompson Novel) - Patricia Briggs
Silence Fallen - Patricia Briggs

I started this series quite a while ago and tossed it aside because I just couldn't get into it. This time I listened to it in audiobook format and loved it so much I listened to them in sequence. I enjoyed every moment of it.