logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Merlin
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-12-21 00:00
Chasing Merlin
Chasing Merlin - Sarah White

What a great book! I loved it and Dyllan. I wish I could meet her in real life because we could get along so famously. :) I didn't care for Emrys, but I loved his opinions on various takes of the Merlin legend. He thinks the BBC Merlin series got it wrong, but if so, I am glad they did. Their take on Gwen and Lancelot is so much better, and I love Merlin. Fun to see a mention of such a marvelous series.

review 2016-11-30 10:11
The Fire of Merlin (The Return to Camelot #2) by Donna Hosie
The Fire of Merlin - Donna Hosie
The Fire of Merlin starts where Searching For Arthur finished. Natasha is racing towards Bedivere, her world once again in its rightful place now that he is back in time! Of course, in time in this phrase means quite literally that, as he has moved through from his time to hers. So we start off quite humorously as the Knights of the Round Table try to fit in with modern life. We also get another glimpse of Natasha's home life, which isn't so good. Before too long, we are heading back into the past, to fight for the future.

This book is once again extremely well written, with comments and snarks completely in keeping with a 17-year-old, and her relationship with her older brother. The made up insults with Guenivere had me laughing out loud, whilst other parts of it had me welling up. Natasha doesn't have an easy ride of it again, but she is strong and resilient, and is determined to fight for those she loves.

With a smooth and flowing pace, the plot is never confused about where it is going or which time it is in, which makes for excellent reading. There were no editing or grammatical errors to disrupt the reading flow. A wonderful addition to the series, and highly recommended by me.

*Verified Purchase on Amazon - June 2016*

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
review 2016-11-20 16:37
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
The Crystal Cave (Merlin, #1) - Mary Stewart

Series: Arthurian Saga #1

Completely unmemorable.

The old man telling the child and then the young man’s story sounded stale to me. Merlin seemed to be more of a sock puppet than a person. I didn’t really care about anyone in the story, and most of the dialogue rang false, somehow.

The prose was so unmemorable that I’d pick up the book where I’d left off the night before and be completely unable to find my place because nothing sounded familiar (specifically in Book IV). I generally have a much better memory than that, so there was something about Stewart’s words that just wouldn’t stick in my head. In fact, it happened frequently that I’d discover that although I’d read every word in the preceding paragraphs, I couldn’t remember what they’d said. I don’t know why, but the book couldn’t hold my attention. The threads just slipped away.

I don’t blame my 8-year-old self for giving up even after passing the halfway point. The book adds nothing as an interpretation of the legend, or at least nothing interesting. My rating reflects the fact that the book completely failed to engage my interest and attention. Others evidently had different experiences.

review 2016-11-07 22:50
Reading progress update: I've read 249 out of 928 pages.
Merlin Trilogy - Mary Stewart
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart

(Note: the page number is for the trilogy's omnibus edition, which is the book I'm actually reading.)

"Thanks" to having contracted some sort of cold or flu bug and having been out of commission for pretty much all other purposes over the weekend, I've progressed fairly well with this book -- well there has to be at least one upside to fever, perpetually running nose and clinging headache, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this enormously, and I'm so glad I joined this buddy read, so a big thank you to Moonlight Reader for setting this up!

I confess I'm not, or perhaps just "not yet" reading Merlin as the same person as the old wizard known from most other incarnations of the Arthurian saga, though.  It actually struck me, especially in Part 1, how similar this trilogy's young Merlin is to the young Arthur of some of the other narratives -- a misfit and a loner, the kid that nobody really knows where and how to place him, entirely too bright for his own good, and intensely interested in books and learning (even though that doesn't mean he wants to be shut up behind the walls of a monastery),

And in Parts 3 and 4 we're now getting the one thing that I sorely miss in accounts like T.H. White's Once and Future King, great series though that is in all other respects ... a glimpse of our hero's coming of age and (with apologies to James Joyce) a Portrait Our Hero as a Young Man.  So, yey for that, too!  The magic stuff starts when he's still a boy, but he's learning more about his own magical powers as we go along now, too, as well as how to deal with other people's expectations of him (well, that's bound to happen, I suppose, especially looking at Stewart's source material and the story -- or throw-away line -- that she herself says inspired the whole trilogy).

A great read so far, in any event; here's hoping it's going to continue this way!

I'm reading this book both for the Merlin Trilogy Buddy Read and for The Twelf Tasks of the Festive Season (Task the Twelfth: The Wassail Bowl).

Merken

review 2016-09-21 13:49
Book Review of Merlin's Vow (The Camelot Inheritance ~ Book 3): A mystery fantasy book for teens and older children age 10 -14 by Rosie Morgan
Merlin's Vow - Rosie Morgan

The magic is moving, but Tamar Tamblyn - one of Cornwall’s four teenage Guardians - is stranded at Trezion’s Christmas fair, miles from her fellow Guardians.
Will Arthur, Nick or Gawain reach her before their enemies close in … or will the Ice lady claim her prize?

Who is the mysterious Dr Columbarius?

Why has Tamar been invited to Oakwood Manor?

And since when did time travel mess with molecules – or become quite so dangerous?

This is the story of four teenagers, some ancient knights and a dragon (a very tiny one), pitted against time-defying enemies. Camelot is calling.

Review 4*

This is the third book in The Camelot Inheritance Series for middle grade children that takes the myths and legends of Arthur (that's King Arthur to you!) and gives it a modern twist. I loved it!

Arthur Penhaligon is a fantastic character. He is a young man with an amazing destiny - he is a Guardian of Cornwall. I really liked this character when I first met him in The Golden Sword. He has done a bit of growing up over the year or so since he found out he was a guardian, but there is still danger lurking, and Arthur and his friends, Nick, Gawain and Tamar, are in for another adventure.

This is a fantastic adventure series set in Cornwall, England. I have been eagerly waiting for this story, because I wanted to know what the intrepid quartet had been up to since the end of the second book, The Time Smugglers.

This tale is told from several different points of view, which I found most interesting, and kept me hooked from the first page. This time, the tale is told mainly through the eyes of Tamar and Nick rather than Arthur and I was quickly swept back into their lives. We are also introduced to Rozen, a young girl who has a destiny tied to the others. There are a few characters from the other books that make another appearance, mainly the Watcher's and the Writer. These are enigmatic characters that bring their own kind of intrigue to the tale. Why are they watching? Why are they recording events? These questions and more floated round my head once more. We also get to meet Merlin for the first time. He's an enigmatic character who hides many secrets. I liked him though. I will say, however, that the Ice Lady is one creepy villain and I loved to hate her. This story is a mix of adventure, myth and magic that will keep younger readers completely hooked. I didn't find this story as dark and atmospheric as the first book in the series. However, there is an emotional undertow that grabbed me and didn't let go until I'd finished the story.

Rosie Morgan has written an exciting adventure series for children. I am a huge fan. I love her writing style, which is fast paced, and I loved the way the story flowed. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series as soon as possible.

I highly recommend this story to both boys and girls in the 7 to 14 age range. However, I also recommend this book to adults if you love YA or fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton