logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Morgan-Rhodes
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-05 20:57
Great villains, annoying heroes
Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes,Michelle Rowen

***Spoilers ahead you’ve been warned***

I rather enjoyed this one. Somewhat. The characters are really what drives this book (some of them that is) and while the plot moves at a medium pace, it’s understandable as this introduces you to the setting, the characters and what’s in store for us as readers.

World building is straight forward and there’s a handy guide in the beginning so you can figure out who is who and from which Kingdom (there are three). It pretty much centralizes on a small group that are central to the main plot and it’s easy to figure out who is who as you quickly start developing favorites :)

And this is where it starts getting interesting. I notice this happens sometimes with fantasy books. The good characters are downright annoying, nauseating (even more so when the love factor is involved) and induce eye rolling moments while reading. The not so nice characters are  more interesting to read, you quietly cheer for them and hope they turn out for the better because you don’t want them going down that path because most likely, they’ll end up being gone and you’ll have nothing else to read but the good guys.

I tried to like Cleo. I really did. However all I see is a little naive twit who’s annoying and I don’t really see her worth in this book and I wonder why Magnus just doesn’t end her so she can join good ol dependable Theon. I am hoping she turns out better in the later books but so far she’s not looking so good and her romance with Theon was so eye rolling inducing it’s characters like these that make or break the novel.

Thankfully, I love the Magnus story arc. He’s turned into a jerk but it’s not really his fault as dad isn’t really nice. The thing with Lucia is creepy and although they’re not blood related it still gives moments of queasiness (dude, you have like so many girls in the Kingdom come on). That being said though, I love reading about Magnus and Lucia. Their story lines are interesting, they have faults, and they deal with it (albeit, perhaps not in an all too healthy manner).

The story arc with Jonas was also interesting and I wish more was written about him (I think Cleo’s got way too much time in spotlight) as he’s gone through so much to get his revenge and only to find out it just opened a giant Pandora’s box and we’re heading towards more epic battling.

The latter third of the book gets really interesting. I’m only hoping there’s going to be a good outcome for everyone and I really hope Cleo’s character improves because she’s really what could make or break my desire to continue onto this series. Sometimes it takes that one character to ruin it all. That being said, I think it’s off to a great start and I’m ready for some more! Great for those into YA fantasy.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-30 03:39
What an awesome but bloody book!!!!
Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes,Michelle Rowen

What an awesome, start to what I hope is a fantastic series. I bought the first book but didn't have money to buy the next one. But luckily my library had it as an ebook, so I downloaded that one as well.

I can't decide who was my favorite character or if I really have one as of yet, there all pretty screwed up. I would probably say if I had to choose one it would be Jones, I do really feel bad for him, after all his brother was killed in front of him. And all his father said to him was that it was his brother's death was meant to be. Also while Cleo didn't kill Jones's brother, she could have tried to prevent it.

Speaking of Cleo I like her as well, but she was stupid for the reason above, but also by what she does later, that plays apart in another death. I really feel bad for things that happen to her and to people that she loves. I really can't wait to see what happens to her next.

One person I am not sure about but I probably will start to like is Magnus. The way he feels about him "sister" Luica is gross, even if she isn't his sister by blood. He didn't know that at the time he was having those feelings towards her. Also is he bad or not, I am leading towards not.

Now about Luica, I am not sure how I feel about her as of yet. I am hoping I can figure that out in the next book. Sometimes I like I like her and other times, I am not sure. That's all I really have to say about her for right now.

Boy this book had a lot of death in it for being the first book in a pretty long series. A couple of these deaths were in the prologue. And Jones's brother in the beginning also. I really enjoyed the book a whole lot besides all the killings. I thought it was awesome from the beginning until the very end. I really hope all four of the main characters, stay alive at least until the last book. But who knows with all the deaths in this first book.

I really can't wait to see what happens next and if I will be right about Magnus becoming my favorite. I really love a guy that is not all prefect, that has some badness to them, and that isn't weak. But one that can also have a soft spot and be gently when he wants to be.

review 2016-10-12 03:09
Mini-Review of "Gathering Darkness" (Falling Kingdoms, #3) by Morgan Rhodes
Gathering Darkness: A Falling Kingdoms Novel - Morgan Rhodes

Great read; as melodramatic as the previous books in series with lots of game changers, new and broken alliances, actual and hinted romances (hurray for the lack of love triangles here), heroic acts and horrible failures, deaths of some and introduction of new characters ...just a great fantasy epic with twists around every corner.

review 2016-09-27 00:00
Rebel Spring
Rebel Spring - Morgan Rhodes The characters have been getting less and less likeable, which makes me wish that I hadn't gotten so invested in this story. I still like Cleo a bit, but the others, most of whom I didn't like much in the first place, have been becoming more and more unpleasant. I will probably continue with the series to see what happens because the conflict is very interesting and I have no idea where the plot is going, but I hope that the author will keep Cleo likeable, and maybe make one of the other characters a bit less hateable. Even Cleo, who I don't hate is not someone who I like very much. I want her to win because she has been so wronged, but Jonas has been wronged too, and I still can't bring myself to root for him because he is so unpleasant. I liked Brion, but he wasn't a main character, and now... I liked Lucia in the last book, but she has become nastier since then. I liked Nic, but he has lost a lot of his integrity as well. Alexius seems to have taken a deeply unpleasant turn, though from the way the book was set up, I'd say he was less than good in the first book, but the author concealed his intentions from us so we wouldn't know. None of the character's relationships are realistic. Almost all of the romances are unbelievable at best and instalove at worst. The friendships are less awful, Jonas and Brion's was believable, though it wasn't something that was focused on, but Cleo and Nic, whose friendship was one of the things that made the first book, started to feel forced after Nic declared his love to her and she didn't reciprocate. Never mind that he probably already knew she didn't love him romantically, he still made his declaration and expected her to feel the same. In the first book I had the sense that he loved her--really loved her--to the point that he would give up anything for her, and didn't expect anything in return, but, while he still seems to care for her, I don't think his behavior seems to indicate real love after all.
review 2016-09-12 14:00
Gathering Darkness
Gathering Darkness - Morgan Rhodes,Michelle Rowen

There are so many twists in this series! There are times when I can see it coming and I know someone is about to betray someone else. Other times it's a complete surprise. I love it when a book can keep me on my toes. Characters I was sure would make it to the end of the series are gone. Characters I was sure would be killed off by now are still going strong.

The Kraeshian siblings, Ashur and Amara, play a bigger role in this book and I was pretty unsure of their intentions until the end. I am very eager to see what will come of their involvement in the next book.

Princess Cleo is still Cleo. She believes she's an excellent liar, but most of the time she's completely transparent. When she does manage to manipulate circumstances, it's not long before someone figures out it was her. She never admits to anything and maintains her innocent demeanor, but once again no one is fooled.

Princess Lucia is still a wild card in my book. I have no clue where her character is heading. How dark will she go? King Gaius is hiding in his kingdom, showing fear for the first time. He knows he's mortal and needs the kindred to become all powerful.  I was very pleased to see some weakness show in him for once.

Prince Magnus is finally, finally heading in a direction that I'm very happy to see. I am crossing my fingers. I hope some good things come from it. Once again, there was so much action I had no time at all to get bored.

I won't go into much more detail, even though I could go on and on about this series. I'm trying my best not to give anything away from the previous books. I'm very excited to start the next book. Before I read the very last sentence I already had book 4, Frozen Tides in hand and ready to go, so off I go.

-SW