logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Mortal-Heart
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-05-25 00:00
Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Book 3)

Things I loved about Mortal Heart

This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More
review 2015-03-14 20:19
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers (His Fair Assassin Trilogy #3)
Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Book 3) - Robin LaFevers

Hi guys! I hope you’re having a great day and this is my review to the final book in the His Fair Assassin Trilogy, Mortal Heart written by Robin LaFevers.

Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...

W-O-W. This book . . . that was a bold ending there, LaFevers decided to do. It is easy enough to say that each book is not the same. Grave Mercy was more political, Dark Triumph was more of a thrilling and personal story, and finally, Mortal Heart is more about the fantasy world that LaFevers has created in this trilogy. I think each part was greatly portrayed in every book and that easily makes this series one of my all-time favorites.

Anime Excited animated GIF

To start off, the first ten to thirteen chapters were kind of slow for me. But then, once we got to explore the world of His Fair Assassin, a lot of questions became answered about the convents, the Nine, and a bit more about the fantasy of this world.

There were so many points in the second half that made me giddy. Literally, I was on the floor laughing because I was so excited about the number of points that were never answered but finally were in this book! It was so exciting how Ismae-Duval and Sybella-Beast’s relationships were portrayed from a third perspective! And the sisterly relationship between Sybella, Annith, and Ismae is so heart warming that I already knew from Grave Mercy that these three would never leave one another out of some misunderstanding. They’ve been through a lot of things together for them to separate like that.

There were a lot of things I had suspicions about, but they seemed too good to be true. I was actually right about some of them, and not others. But it was still exciting to read about!

I had a feeling that Balthazar was Mortain when Annith found her offering in Balthazar’s saddle! I was so excited! And I also had a feeling that if Mortain loved Annith as a lover, then she is obviously not his daughter.

I never knew that Julian would become a hellquin until the part where Balthazar/Mortain tells Annith about the boy who was overcome with his sister and wanted to atone! That was really sweet!

OMG. I WOULD’VE NEVER GUESSED THAT THE ABBESS WAS ANNITH’S MOTHER. AND THE FACT THAT THE ABBESS KILLED ALL THE NUNS SO THAT SHE COULD TAKE OVER. AND THE FRIGGING FACT THAT CRUNARD IS ANNITH’S DAD. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. I . . . OMG.

AND THE FACT THAT MORTAIN USED TO VISIT ANNITH WHEN SHE WOULD BE LOCKED UP IN THE CELLARS EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS FIVE!!!!!!!!!! SO CUTE!!!!

(spoiler show)

The ending was just so cute and cheesy and fantastic and bold. Needless to say, this series is recommended to everyone I know. Okay, never mind. If you like Historical Fiction then you will love this, and this is actually the first Historical Fiction series I’ve ever read. I think anyone who wants to give this a try should start with His Fair Assassin and anyone who needs to read more needs to read His Fair Assassin because this series is smart and bold. This series does have fantasy, but it’s not overwhelming. Really give this a try!

Thanks for reading my review guys, and hope you have a great day! Until the next review! :D

review 2015-03-01 00:00
Mortal Heart
Mortal Heart - Robin LaFevers “I am beginning to think that love itself is never wrong. It is what love can drive people to do that is the problem.”

Annith's been left behind, watching younger and younger girls leave the convent to begin carrying out their missions in the name of Death. When an even younger girl, nowhere near the end of her training, is given a mission, Annith confronts the Abbess -- and learns that she is destined not to be an assassin, but to be the seeress for the convent. But without an ounce of gift for sight and a terror of being stuck within the walls of the convent for the rest of her life, Annith is horrified at the prospect, and strikes out on her own.

I've really enjoyed this series. It is dark, and based on actual historical events, with characters I have come to love over three books. I don't imagine that, with this ending, there will be any more in the series. I'm glad that this book focused on Annith, who has been a major character over the previous two, but passed over in favor of her younger sisters. And the romance in the book? Satisfying. I ended up starting this book around 11 p.m. last night, and finished around 3 a.m., darn my need for sleep.
review 2015-01-11 17:43
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Book 3) - Robin LaFevers

I absolutely adore the His Fair Assassin series by Robin LaFevers. Each book took me away to a different time and place, and craved to meet and be reunited with the many different characters found within their pages.

But there was something about Mortal Heart, the last book in this series, that didn’t have me relishing each and every page and moment. That reason being the main character, Annith. Don’t get me wrong, as I progressed through the book, she slowly but surely captured my heart and attention, as did the other characters, but I will admit that it took a lot longer than I had hoped.

The main reason being she annoyed me so much. I found her to be so annoying, so hard headed, so arrogant… But in the end, it was these flaws, as well as the ones that she has always carried with her since her childhood, that made me like her. That probably doesn’t make sense, but go with it.

As with all the strong female leads in these books, they each have their own dark secrets and stories that come to light. And the story of Annith is right up there with them. The difference? The unbelievable twists and turns that stem from her childhood to present day. The various twists that author Robin LaFevers puts in Mortal Heart left my head (and heart) spinning. Once I thought that there was no possible way that she can add anything else that will make me gasp, she does it again! And again, and again, and again…and I loved every minute of it.

As in the other books, our fearless female leads grab the attention of the undeniably sexy leading men…and Balthazar (the sexy hellequin that I could not get enough of) was just that guy. Dark, mysterious, fearless…omg so hot. I pictured Balthazar as Jason Momoa, who played Kahl Drogo from Game of Thrones…muscles… *drool*

I feel like I can’t really say too, too much as it will definitely give so much away, but the connection between Annith and Balthazar definitely has something to do with Mortain, the god of Death.

The main idea of Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers is this:

Annith has trained all her life to be an assassin, and wants nothing more than to serve her god, Mortain, as one of his handmaidens of Death. But for reasons unbeknownst to her (until later), the Abbess keeps passing her up. The final straw is when the Abbess allows Matelaine, one of Annith’s sisters to go on her first mission…even though she is not fully trained, and has not passed all her tests, and is still pretty much a child!

When the Abbess leaves the convent to go see the Duchess, Annith takes this opportunity to try and find out the reason why the Abbess is not letting her fulfil her destiny! Not only is she not being allowed to act as one of Death’s handmaidens, but the Abbess has informed her that her destiny is to be the next Seer! Ummm..hell to the no says Annith. And so she decides to travel afar (on her own) to find the Abbess and confront her with the answers to her many questions. What’s that saying though? Be careful what you wish for?

During Annith’s travels, she happens upon a gang of hellequin who are on the hunt for souls, and the leader, Balthazar, seems to have taken a special interest in dear Annith. Can we say slight stalkerish? Not that I’m complaining because dang(!) Balthazar is foine.

Both Annith and Balthazar have secrets that they are keeping from each other. Whether these secrets will bring them closer, or drive them apart is something you’ll have find out on your own.

Apart from the fact that Annith really did annoy the bejesus out of me, I still came to adore this final installment in this series. Fans of strong female leads, unforgettable male interests, and a storyline that will keep your interests piqued right to the very end will really enjoy Mortal Heart along with the other books in the His Fair Assassin series.

The writing is fantastic, the world so real that one could seriously get lost in it, and the characters are ones that you won’t be forgetting anytime soon. Do yourself a favor and check out these books! I highly doubt that you will regret it.

Source: www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-mortal-heart-by-robin-lafevers

Genres: Fantasy, Historical, Young Adult
Pages: 464, Format: eBook
Source: Kindle Purchase
5 Stars

Mortal Heart rounded up His Fair Assassin series beautifully! With much more mythology, and the big mystery of why Annith was being left behind, I was up half the night because I couldn’t sleep until I had finished reading.

My Mortal Heart review:

The setting was awesome, the character development of Annith was really good, and I loved learning more about the mythology of Mortain and the other nine my favorite assassin nuns and others worshipped. Annith finally showed her backbone, and she acted according to her own beliefs rather than blindly following the abbess. And let me tell you, the abbess really pissed me off in Mortal Heart – not that I actually liked her in Dark Triumph or even Grave Mercy, but here she really showed the lengths to which she was willing to go to further her own will, and make sure she and Annith would stay safe in the process.

As Annith listened at doors, prepared her saddlebag and got ready for leaving the convent and the island behind, my heart was speeding because I was so afraid something would happen so she wouldn’t make it. I loved seeing how strong Annith truly was, and learning much more about Mortain during her journey made it all the better. Finding her own way, and also discovering people she could seek help from showed that she was also very smart – nobody can do it all alone. On the road, she not only got to participate with the hellequin’s hunt, and she stayed with them for several days, until she discovered something in their leader’s, Balthazaar, saddlebag. Cunning and courageous, she managed to leave them behind, and she had a dream vision that led her to warrior women the next day.

On the road to confront the abbess, Mortal Heart also showed the road to Annith’s self-discovery. And it sure wasn’t all pretty, even things she was sure she knew about herself ended up being different form what she believed. Between doubting her faith, her strength, her friendships and even her future and then also being strong, always moving forward, and thinking about others first made Annith an extraordinary character to follow. When she finally arrived at her destination, she met up with Ismae and being with her dear friend helped her find the courage she needed for her meeting with the abbess. It took several confrontations and quite a bit of verbal abuse before she was finally able to come to the bottom of the dark secrets hidden by the one person who was supposed to be Mortain’s most fervent follower, though.

Several plot-lines were followed in Mortal Heart, but the main story was all about Annith and her faith. All the important characters from the first two books were present, and I loved seeing Sybella, Ismae and Annith together again. The young Duchess continued to impress me both with her wisdom and her strength, and the strong side-characters helped move the story forward as well. The romantic side of Annith came out as well, and I loved how she used all of her own experiences to look into her own heart in order to find the answers she needed concerning that.

While I am sad this series has come to an end, I’m completely satisfied with the way things were tied up.

Some of my favorite Mortal Heart quotes:

It is a habit I developed when young, collecting secrets like a miser collects coins.

No, I do not need to wonder. I know – she would never have considered such a thing. It would be like fashioning a weapon and using it to stir a pot.

In the real world, assailants will not hold back or soften their blows, so how will my doing so teach the others anything except how to be weak and die young?

It is not the first lie I have ever told her, but it is the first one that I do not feel any guilt or remorse for having told.

Lexxie signature (un)Conventional Bookviews