logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Mysteries
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-21 01:09
All You Need Is Fudge
All You Need is Fudge - Nancy CoCo

Allie is out walking her dog, Mal when Mal pulls her to the lake and they find the body of socialite Carin Moore. Carin's murder is a puzzle for all as her boyfriend's sister is framed for Carin. Allie knows that Paige did not murder Carin and since Trent is not returning her calls, she decides she has to find out all she can so that she can try and prove that Paige is innocent, along the way she learns some of the local secrets and is threatened.

This story did have me believing it was one person and I was totally surprised at the end. Good read. Can't wait to have cooler weather so that I can try some of the fudge recipes.

review 2018-06-19 16:44
The Constant Gardener / John Le Carré
The Constant Gardener - John le Carré

Tessa Quayle-young, beautiful, and dearly beloved to husband Justin-is gruesomely murdered in northern Kenya. When Justin sets out on a personal odyssey to uncover the mystery of her death, what he finds could make him not only a suspect but also a target for Tessa's killers.

A master chronicler of the betrayals of ordinary people caught in political conflict, John le Carré portrays the dark side of unbridled capitalism as only he can. In The Constant Gardener he tells a compelling, complex story of a man elevated through tragedy as Justin Quayle-amateur gardener, aging widower, and ineffectual bureaucrat-discovers his own natural resources and the extraordinary courage of the woman he barely had time to love.

***2018 Summer of Spies***

So its summer, finally and at last, here in the Great White North. It’s time for some summer fun reading about espionage! This is my first venture into Le Carré’s work and I enjoyed it.

I had expected a rather light & frothy thriller and instead I got a serious examination of big pharma—its use of the unfortunate as test subjects and its desire to put profit well ahead of human kindness. Also explored is the nature of colonialism in Kenya, reminding me a bit of The Poisonwood Bible. Heavy subjects for a popular novel!

I also got a reminder on the nature of marriage—those of us on the outside of a marriage really have no idea what’s happening on the inside. On the outside, Sandy and Gloria Woodrow look like the stable, steady couple and Justin and Tessa Quayle look like a precarious, unmatched union. The book begins from Sandy Woodrow’s point of view and quickly disabuses the reader of the notion that his marriage is solid. Woodrow’s constant search for sex outside his marriage was tiresome and it was a relief when I reached the point where Le Carré switched to Justin’s POV. There we discover that, far from being unstable, Justin and Tessa trusted and loved each other a great deal.

Thereafter followed the labyrinthine machinations that I had been expecting. Who knows what, who is hiding something, what can be done about it all? I can definitely see why The Guardian lists it as one of their 1000 recommended books.

review 2018-06-18 13:01
Better Late Than Never
Better Late Than Never - Jenn McKinlay

This book starts with the first ever library return where you could return your books without a fine, no matter how late they were. The library ends up being filled with books being returned after weeks, months and years. Lindsey, the library director, asks her usuals at the "Crafternoon" to help check books back into the library and arrange them for placement back on shelves. She even offers prizes for the book that was returned after being gone the longest. The ladies find a book that was checked out 1 day before the person who borrowed it was murdered. Lindsey takes the book to the police and then starts her own investigation with Robbie, an old English actor with a crush on her, to find out who really murdered the lady, an English teacher at the local high school.

This also has Lindsey "talking" about her relationship with Sully and then the two of them coming out and letting the whole town know.

It was a cute story and there were some moments that were too crazy to be probable, but still a fun story.

review 2018-06-15 16:47
Darkwalker / E.L. Tettensor
Darkwalker - E.L. Tettensor

He used to be the best detective on the job. Until he became the hunted...

Once a legendary police inspector, Nicolas Lenoir is now a disillusioned and broken man who spends his days going through the motions and his evenings drinking away the nightmares of his past. Ten years ago, Lenoir barely escaped the grasp of the Darkwalker, a vengeful spirit who demands a terrible toll on those who have offended the dead. But the Darkwalker does not give up on his prey so easily, and Lenoir has always known his debt would come due one day.

When Lenoir is assigned to a disturbing new case, he treats the job with his usual apathy—until his best informant, a street savvy orphan, is kidnapped. Desperate to find his young friend before the worst befalls him, Lenoir will do anything catch the monster responsible for the crimes, even if it means walking willingly into the arms of his own doom…...

I didn’t connect with this character as much as I did the characters in the author’s other series (The Bloodbound, Erin Lindsey), but I still enjoyed the reading experience. I’m not gonna lie, I found many of the plot points to be a bit predictable, but the writing was good enough that I was willing to forgive that. I do like a paranormal detective story, even if Nicolas Lenoir is a moody, often drunken jerk. There’s a bit too much lingering (without details) on the big bad awful thing that happened in his past that left him in this detached state.

He may initially remind the reader of Sherlock Holmes, but there are significant differences. His alcohol dependence resembles Holmes’ drug habit, but the reasons behind them are different. Holmes indulges occasionally when he’s bored, Lenoir drinks every night to forget the dark event in his past. Holmes, for all his disdain for regular people, is pretty honest & upright. Lenoir is open to bribery and willing to slack on investigations that he doesn’t consider particularly important. With his snarly, detached demeanour, Lenoir is certainly lacking a sidekick like Watson, although he has Sergeant Kody waiting in the wings to fill the position. In this volume, Lenoir has Zach, a wily orphan boy, who stands in for all the Baker Street Irregulars, to help him with his inquiries.

The setting is Victorian without being set in London. This world is obviously not ours and we learn the differences as the story progresses. Magic is very much a thing in this reality and has to be taken into account. The Adali people are very Romany-like and provide an exotic source of tension.

This author will be at the August conference that I’ll be attending. I think I’ll have read all of her books by then! She has attended before and I enjoyed her perspectives on fiction and writing, so I’m looking forward to more of the same.

review 2018-06-13 10:50
Abstract Aliases (Bodies of Art Mystery, #3)
Abstract Aliases - Ritter Ames

If you're willing to suspend disbelief and are looking for an action packed pseudo-spy caper, this series is worth checking out.

Abstract Aliases has Jack and Laurel chasing after art forgeries, crime syndicates, ex-employees gone rogue and trying to figure out who is killing forgers throughout Europe, and why.  It's a jet-setting kind of story, with trains, planes and automobiles and character far more likeable than they were in the first two books (more cooperation, less game-playing).

I was feeling lukewarm about the series as a whole and this one languished on my TBR for some time before I grabbed it, but the pure escapist fun, and the plot and character progression have left me eager to read the next book.