logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-20 16:03
The Shadow of Polperro ★☆☆☆☆
The Shadow of Polperro - Frances Cowan

This book hits the jackpot of terrible books. The characters are uninteresting. The pace is amazingly slow for a 235 page book, with a lot of boring information about characters going places and completing mundane tasks that do nothing to advance the story. The egregious misuse of punctuation and sentence structure had me re-reading paragraphs multiple times in order to make any sense of them.

I’m not even going to bother with a synopsis, I’ve already spent more time on this book than it deserves.

I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square Gothic: any book with significant: a genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times romance. It definitely fits the definition of gothic – spooky old ruined castle with a tragic history, strange accidents that might be supernatural in origin, beautiful young woman alone in the world and in peril, an old woman with supernatural gifts. And a handsome young man to give her a happily ever after, although it breaks from the gothic mold here as he is not darkly brooding and mysterious and a little violent in his temper and passions. He’s just a nice, stable young man with a good job.

review 2018-10-20 09:45
Rivers of London
Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

What happens when a former Doctor Who writer decides to try his hand at a Dresden-Files-esque urban fantasy series? I DON’T EVEN KNOW BUT IT’S AMAZING. AMAZING STUFF HAPPENS, OKAY? OKAY.

Basically, it’s a sort of ghost hunter/police procedural/buddy comedy with magic and a wicked sense of very British humor and, in my opinion, it blows the Dresden Files out of the water.* I was hoping I’d be able to write a more coherent review, but apparently I’m stuck in the unhelpful squeeing phase and I’m also busy mentally rejigging my fun budget so I can get the rest of the series. Sorry.

Only one thing really ticked me off. It’s spoilery, so under a spoiler tag it goes:

Speaking of Dresden Files, Rivers of London falls in the same trap as Grave Peril and damsels a perfectly good strong female character and REALLY screws her over and I’ll be angry about this for a while, amazingness notwithstanding.

(spoiler show)

*Opinion formed after reading three Dresden Files books and one Rivers of London book.

I read this for the Halloween Bingo 2018 Darkest London square.

review 2018-10-19 22:21
MURDER, SHE KNIT by Peggy Ehrhart
Murder, She Knit - Peggy Ehrhart
Cozy mystery where Pamela tries to find where the kitten she's been feeding is hiding but finds a body in her bushes.  She and the victim have a past but so do many others in the town.

I enjoyed this story.  I liked the characters.  I also enjoyed the small-town gossip and mind set.  The knitting group are older women whose children are raised.  They get together weekly to knit.  There is also Roland whose doctor told him to take up knitting as a way to reduce stress.  Not so sure if it has or has only added to the stress in his life.  There is good world building here as this sets up the series.

The story was good but I missed the clues to help solve the mystery.  They hinted at the back of my mind but never came together until the murderer was identified and the story told.  I am looking forward to the next mystery in this series.
review 2018-10-19 22:07
HOPE NEVER DIES by Andrew Shaffer
Hope Never Dies - Andrew Shaffer
This parody of cozy mysteries is told from Joe Biden's point-of-view as he and Barack Obama chase down a killer.  I loved it!  I laughed so hard at times.  Suspend belief but you have to read it.  It was so much fun.

I liked the characters.  Watching them solve the crime is a scream.  I liked how they view the current happenings in D.C.  I felt bad when Joe had to change some of his idealistic beliefs about others.  I hope there are more in this series.  I adored it.
review 2018-10-19 17:42