logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Narnia
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-08-26 06:37
Cute romp
The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) - C.S. Lewis,Pauline Baynes

Smiled at some bits, laughed at others, and loved the mare most of all.

I liked the part about being told only your own story and the detail of the torn back. Oh, and the Pevensies' cameo (reading carefully, there are these minuscule hints of Susan being different than the other three too).

review 2019-05-20 06:27
Path can be corrected (as many times as necessary)
The Silver Chair - C.S. Lewis,Pauline Baynes

Cute and entertaining, subtly and annoyingly misogynistic, and as entrenched in Christian-lore as ever. The friendships are well done, and the world built is beautiful. The animal companion steals trophy of best loved character yet again.

I liked the over-all message of this one a lot better.

review 2018-11-08 00:59
The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up
The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up: Based on the Books by C. S. Lewis - Robert Sabuda,C.S. Lewis,Matthew S. Armstrong,Matthew Armstrong

I had no idea what this book was when I picked it up as it was wrapped-up in plastic when I bought it.  I had found it at one of our thrift stores and for .88 cents, I thought I would take a chance and just buy it.  I thought my granddaughter or my daughter-in-law might like it (she's an high school language arts teacher).

This book was like new inside and the pop-outs are fantastic!  They truly pop-out and they are really detailed and big.  I don't know which one I like the best out of the seven that are in the book.  I have never read the Chronicles of Narnia so I have nothing to go on for these illustrations but I did enjoy the little stories that accompanied these pop-outs.  This is a seven double-page book where there is a pop-out in the middle of each of these pages.  There were even four smaller pop-outs on a few of these pages and some of them are in a foldout.

review 2018-09-09 17:24
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis,Pauline Baynes

Lexile Level: 940L

This series by C.S. Lewis would be wonderful to introduce to upper elementary students. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe introduces four siblings named Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy and details their discovery of the magical world of Narnia which they enter through a wardrobe. This book contains many moral lessons that would be great class discussions. C.S. Lewis creates a fascinating magical universe that is very enjoyable to students and can inspire their imaginations. Teachers could suggest this book to students who read and enjoyed the Harry Potter series as it would be a great way to get them interested in high quality classic literature. Teachers could read this book aloud to their class and teach several reading strategies through the text. Students could use the book to learn how to acquire meaning from unknown words using context clues or could write summaries and identify key events while utilizing graphic organizers.

review 2017-06-13 17:41
Lovely if a bit heavy handed
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - C.S. Lewis,Pauline Baynes

This was a lovely read. A great opening line, lots of magic and adventure, and Reepicheep, a character that has shot to my favorites list.

I have issues with the fact that Aslan was mixed up with turning around every bad habit or decision, because it says redemption or improvement is impossible without religion to me. I like the concept of free will, and I like to think we can pick the right path without constant divine nudges, so a start docked for the heavy handedness.