logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Next-Generation
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-05 08:10
Blog Tour w/Review - All The Pretty Girls

All The Pretty Girls

A Next Generation Novel

atpg_3

"All the Pretty Girls keeps you on the edge of your seat. Mystery and romance twisted together in one great book."

BUY NOW>> http://geni.us/w7pUH

The road was long, it was painful, and it was raw. It has taken me four years to come to terms with my new reality. A life in which I live with the daily reminders of a vicious attack that has left me scarred both emotionally and physically. Years of recovery and acceptance were torn apart and obliterated the day Special Agent Nick Clark barges into my life. He says the person who attacked me and left me for dead is back. He says I was the first victim – the one who got away. He promises to protect me. But he can’t, no one can.

Nick is relentless in his pursuit and promises me the things I can’t afford to have – like hope for a future with the sexy FBI agent. But hope and love and promises can’t protect me, not when I’m next on the killer's list. Meadow Holiday is the missing piece, the woman I’ve been searching for. And it has nothing to do with her being a witness in an unsolved serial killer case I’ve had sitting on my desk for the last four years. I had no business falling in love in the middle of a murder investigation but she’s the one. I feel it deep in my bones. I knew the first time I laid eyes on the shy, beautiful woman that she was mine. Now I'm left with the daunting task of convincing her I'm enough. Can Nick save Meadow in time and prove his love can heal all wounds, or is he already too late to fix what a sadist serial killer has broken?

Fashion Couple, Dramatic image shot

All the Pretty Girls (The Next Generation Book 1)All the Pretty Girls by Riley Edwards
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Nick has been haunted by a case where a serial killer has a hobby as a butcher. Then he meets the injured Meadow. Their strong when together.

Meadow has wanted Nick from afar. When they finally meet - its like fate had made it happen. The future will be brighter if they can solve the mystery that no one else can.

Seriously intense, this book has you pulled in from the very first page. I could not put it down myself. The story has a pretty quick pace, and moves along giving us all both goosebumps and a great new series to sink our teeth into.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

Amazon ~ Bookbub ~ Goodreads ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Facebook reader group Newsletter https://www.subscribepage.com/RRsignup

OTHER BOOKS BY RILEY EDWARDS

review 2018-06-05 04:29
Suspenseful
All The Pretty Girls - Riley Edwards

Nick has been haunted by a case where a serial killer has a hobby as a butcher.  Then he meets the injured Meadow.  Their strong when together.

Meadow has wanted Nick from afar.  When they finally meet - its like fate had made it happen.  The future will be brighter if they can solve the mystery that no one else can.

Seriously intense, this book has you pulled in from the very first page.  I could not put it down myself.  The story has a pretty quick pace, and moves along giving us all both goosebumps and a great new series to sink our teeth into.  I give this a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-06-03 17:00
Generation One (Lorien Legacies Reborn #1) by Pittacus Lore
Generation One - Pittacus Lore Generation One - Pittacus Lore

A special thank you to Edelweiss and HarperCollins for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I just couldn't get into this book after several tries, but because I committed to reviewing, I limped through.  And by limped, I mean I skimmed.

There is nothing new here, just more of the same from the first series.  But there is something off and I can't put my finger on it.  Perhaps it is the writing, it was very staccato, with choppy and disjointed sentences—maybe this was done on purpose to move the story along at a more rapid pace to lay the groundwork.  I hope that this narrative style doesn't continue throughout. Needless to say, I won't be continuing with this series.

review 2018-05-17 22:47
Generation X (Coupland)
Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture - Douglas Coupland

I am in, or at least on the cusp of, Generation X, so I must admit that i expected this curious production to resonate with me more than it did. There were flashes of recognition with some (not nearly all) of the constant string of material culture references. And I recognized, at an intellectual level, how some of the typographical oddities were signalling the malaise of the generation itself: the marginalia draws your attention away from the stories, typical of the fragmented attention of my youth; the ironic, half-clever coinages and definitions (e.g. McJob) reveal that terrible urge to define and understand in an incomprehensible world. But, at my advanced age, I think perhaps those qualities (and the immense resentment of the prior generation, also much in evidence here) are just characteristics of the youth of pretty much any generation you care to name. Or at least any generation where the young people aren't dragged into severe crisis like a World War to turn them away from looking inwards.

That said, the three main characters were alien creatures to me. Part of that was that even the Canadian among them (depressed, undeclared gay, dual-citizen Dag from Toronto, probably D. Coupland's nearest thing to a stand-in) is very heavily Americanized, as is the book, which is primarily set in the dusty California desert (another heavy symbol). The actual narrator, Andy, becomes most human when describing his interactions with his own relatives, but otherwise seems to be entirely lost in his own head. In fact, this book has them all - there is also a woman character who is little more than a cipher - spending more time in alternate worlds that this one, spinning elaborate stories to each other about doomsday scenarios or micro-worlds frozen in time. The stories are moderately amusing but in the end do not illuminate much about either the teller or the people being told to - except that they amuse themselves by spinning tales about appalling alternate realities. Possibly that's the point.

So, I didn't connect. Wrong place and time, maybe. Maybe it's just that (as with Kerouac's On The Road) I have read it at the wrong age. Or maybe it's just too self-consciously clever and hasn't worn well. It was worth the try, I guess.

review 2018-05-12 15:41
The burden of backstory
Hearts and Minds (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Dayton Ward

When I was a kid the original Star Trek series was among my favorite shows. Though dated today in many respects (I'm sure somewhere on the Internet there's an essay about those minidresses that the female crewmembers wore), it was an exciting and fun series that offered an optimistic picture of the future. That was not easy to envisage in the Cold War-dominated 1960s, and the show reflected this with episodes that referenced the nuclear tensions of the late-20th century and even the ominous-sounding "Eugenics Wars" of the then-futuristic 1990s.

As it turned out, the show went on and the Cold War didn't. As the Star Trek franchise spawned movies and additional TV shows, the canon on which it was all based looked increasingly outdated. The problem was that was impossible to ignore it. After all, how can you dismiss the "Eugenics Wars of the 1990s," which it was the basis of not just one of the best episodes of the original series, but the best movie of the entire franchise? So the solution was to construct an ever-more-elaborate backstory that connected it all together, one that, had to evolve to take into account additions made by subsequent shows and even novels.

This effort is at the heart of Dayton Ward's book. In it the Enterprise-E is on a mission in unexplored space that brings it into contact with an alien species still recovering from a nuclear war that took place centuries before. The war was tied to an exploration effort the species undertook three hundred years before one that brought it into contact with early 21st century Earth. Through this premise Ward connects events in the 24th century to characters and plot strands from three different "Star Trek" series, as well as novels written by other authors. It's really an impressive exercise from a writing standpoint, though one that is hobbled by two problems. The first is the underlying plot, which staggers out the development of the backstory to cover for the fact that the story involving Picard and company just isn't all that substantial. The other is Ward's apparent need to incorporate nearly every possible character from the franchise's take on 21st century Earth history. It's an impressive effort in some respects, but it also left me thinking that Ward was more interested in creating a Grand Unified History of the Star Trek universe than he was in telling a good story. It makes for a frustrating read, yet one that should be enjoyed by fans looking to fill in some of the gaps in the Star Trek universe at least until another series or movie introduces new elements that renders it all contradictory or irrelevant.