logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Nicholas-Sparks
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-03-02 19:49
Safe Haven
Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

I was actually able to squeeze in this book just before the end of February.  I read most of it on Leap day.  I'm following The Unread Shelf my reading goals this year and one of the goals for February was to read a book that was a gift.  I had something else in mind for February and decided I wanted to read 4 books from my tbr list that I didn't have.  I was able to find them all digitally through my library for free.  I really didn't think I'd be able to read those and another gifted book so I didn't pick one out.

This one literally jumped off my shelf and landed on my toe.  I realized it was given to me by a friend so I decided to quickly read it before the month was up.  I don't like Romance so when I saw the cover of this book (mine was a picture from the movie) I didn't really think I'd like it.  I have read other books by Nicholas Sparks, like The Notebook, and they were SAD!  I was surprised though.  The book had my interest all the way through and the romancy sections were light and tolerable for me.  The end was a bit of a thriller and the whole story reminded me of Steven King's Rosemadder without the supernatural parts and Kind's madness.

A young woman is in an abusive relationship and is afraid for her life.  She can't go to the police because her husband IS the police.  The one time she did try to get help from them they talked her into not filing a police report to spare his reputation.  She tried to run away before but he found her and pulled a gun on her and beat her.  She knew he would kill her next time.  This time she had a better plan and a stolen identification from someone who had died.  She cut her hair and dyed it brown.  She got away to a small town where she could start fresh and tried to keep her head down.  She told everyone her name was Katie and rented an old hunting shack where she could be away from neighbors.  She didn't plan on falling in love with a sweet little girl at the local store.  This little girl stole her heart and then so did her brother and their widowed father.  Things seemed to be going great until her husband got a little nugget of information and from that he learned where she was and was determined to get her back.

review 2019-10-06 03:21
Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

Bridget's Book Ramblings for my scrambled thoughts

review 2019-05-28 13:47
Audio Book Narrated by Christopher Ryan Grant
See Me - Nicholas Sparks

Enjoyable listen. I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan, bought this on sale. Glad I did, this story has bite, mystery and romance. Well worth the listen.

show activity (+)
review 2019-01-19 04:01
The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
The Longest Ride - Nicholas Sparks

I am officially giving up after three months having read nearly 200 pages.

There is just so much damn dialogue about the most banal uninteresting things. There is absolutely zero chemistry between anyone. Everyone is so one dimensional and I have no idea how anyone found them interesting enough to pursue a relationship, let alone write about it. The romances were the most uninteresting, blasé things I have ever read, and I have no idea why anyone thought they would make a good book?

Maybe I’m too used to reading interesting (if sometimes Mary Sue) characters in my regular literature, but there is nothing interesting about any of the characters or their situations and resolutions. This book may as well be called ‘Life’ and it’s boring as fuck (it’s literally called ‘The Longest Ride’ because life is the longest ride). Regular issues that regular people go through? I don’t find that interesting in fiction.

But I watched the movie, so does that count? Also Scott Eastwood is gorgeous, so was the scenery, and I liked the changes the film made from the book, it made it a better, more coherent story.

Here’s some Scott Eastwood appreciation:

review 2019-01-14 00:00
Nights in Rodanthe
Nights in Rodanthe - Nicholas Sparks Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

image

Nicholas Sparks is the romance genius. He is able to create stories of people falling in love, like no author I have read a book from yet. He puts so much emotion and feeling into the pages, that after one of his books, reading another romance seems boring.

Having read almost all of his books, I decided to finish all the ones I haven’t read, and when I suddenly encountered this one in the library, I told myself – ‘’Hey, why not?’’

The synopsis was intriguing, as all of his books are, but unlike the others, Nights in Rodanthe left me disappointed. With his books – this was the first time I ever felt like that. And that is why I need to mention this.

First of all, the story is very predictable. Too predictable – even. I knew what was going to happen from the very first chapters, and I was expecting at least a little bit of a plot twist, but nothing really happened.

Secondly, the romance was fake. The falling in love part? I didn’t see it. I just can’t imagine people falling in love in three days. I am sorry – but it is impossible. Crush, interest, lust, someone paying attention to you, and you feeling goosebumps – I can understand it all. But in three days, I can’t imagine anyone falling so deeply for one another, that you can’t look at another person ever again, and they are all you think about, all day.

Honestly – how well can you get to know a person in three days? Will you get to know the real person? When you’ve never seen them sad, angry, how they behave in company, how they behave when drunk, when upset, when they are doing daily chores, like going at work (note – this all happened while they were sort-of on vacation).

I can remember how many summers I have spent going on vacation for ten days, and thinking I was in love with someone. I am sure you have gone through the same.

So, knowing all this above, I just couldn’t feel for these people as I used to feel with many from Sparks’s characters in other books. And don’t judge me, that this would be the sole reason why I rate this book the way I do. After all, it’s a romance novel.

On the other side though – it is an emotional novel. If you, for a moment forget how fast this romance happened and how unreal it is, the story is going to deeply hurt your soul, and crush you into pieces. Fake romance or not, you are going to shed a few tears for sure.

To wrap this up – I didn’t like it. I am not into fake, impossible romance. But this book seems to be a hit or miss, so if you like Nicholas Sparks – I still encourage you to read it. You never know, it might be your favourite book from him so far.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest