logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-20 16:08
[Book Review] The Girl in the Green Silk Gown
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown - Seanan McGuire

Previously Reviewed

If you're reading The Girl in the Green Silk Dress you should already know all the major players.  Rose Marshall, Bobby Cross, Apple, Emma, Gary, Laura, the Ocean Lady, and even Persephone.  They all had their parts to play in Sparrow Hill Road

This is in many ways the first true novel about Rose, Sparrow Hill Road being a collection of short stories.  As a protagonist Rose is a mix, she is a force to be reckoned with, but at the same time spends much of the story being pushed or pulled through obstacles (or by obstacles), while avoiding her primary goal of the story... defeating Bobby Cross.  In her defense, no one knows how to achieve that, and he's put her in a situation she doesn't have the tools to defeat him with until it's fixed.

Rose also has growing pains, at the end of the last novel she was reunited with her teenage love, and they are both learning about each other and what being together as ghosts means... and what their type of existence requires.  Her other relationships grow, change, and develop too, adding depth and filled with twists both expected and surprising.

I'm seeing this book listed in places as 2 of 2 in its series, and I'm hoping that's an error.  There is a lot unanswered, unfinished, in this story, and I want to see where this road takes us.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of DAW (Penguin RandomHouse) in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/07/book-review-girl-in-green-silk-gown.html
review 2018-07-20 16:00
BLOG TOUR REVIEW: 'Scream All Night' by Derek Milman
Scream All Night - Derek Milman

I jumped at the chance of getting on this blog tour the second that I could! This book is so up my alley I can barely get the words out quickly enough (and I’m not sure I can get them all out).

Having worked on horror movies in the past (more about that below) there’s no way I could have passed this book by, and neither should you! It’s genius, in that it’s funny, endearing, clever, thought-provoking, and just brilliantly-written.

So read on…especially since there’s a giveaway at the bottom!

Thank you so SO much to Rockstar Book Tours for including me on this one!!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR, DEREK MILMAN

Derek Milman was born in New York City, but grew up in Westchester, NY, where he wrote and published a successful underground humor magazine that caught the attention of the New York Times, who wrote a profile on him at the age of 14.

Derek studied English, Creative Writing, and Theater at Northwestern University. He began his career as a playwright (his first play was staged in New York City when he was just out of college), and earned an MFA in acting at the Yale School of Drama.

Derek has performed on stages across the country, and appeared in numerous TV shows and films, working with two Academy Award winning film directors.

Scream All Night is Derek's debut YA novel. He currently lives in Brooklyn where he is hard at work on his next book ('Night Flight').

ABOUT THE BOOK, SCREAM ALL NIGHT

Pub. Date: July 24, 2018

Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Formats: Hardcover, eBook, audiobook

Pages: 400

A darkly hilarious contemporary realistic young adult novel about growing up and finding your place in the world, perfect for fans of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Running With Scissors.

Dario Heyward knows one thing: He’s never going back to Moldavia Studios, the iconic castle that served as the set, studio, and home to the cast and crew of dozens of cult classic B-horror movies. It’s been three years since Dario’s even seen the place, after getting legally emancipated from his father, the infamous director of Moldavia’s creature features.

But then Dario’s brother invites him home to a mysterious ceremony involving his father and a tribute to his first film—The Curse of the Mummy’s Tongue. Dario swears his homecoming will be a one-time visit. A way for him to get closure on his past—and reunite with Hayley, his first love and costar of Zombie Children of the Harvest Sun, a production fraught with real-life tragedy—and say good-bye for good. But the unthinkable happens—Dario gets sucked back into the twisted world of Moldavia and the horrors, both real and imagined, he’s left there.

With only months to rescue the sinking studio and everyone who has built their lives there, Dario must confront the demons of his past—and the uncertainties of his future. But can he escape the place that’s haunted him his whole life?

BUY THE BOOK!

**ANDwill point out NOW how easy it is to go and PRE-ORDER the book TODAY; go to THIS LINK because there are both the links to where you can BUY THE BOOK (AmazonSkylight Books, B&N.com ) and for the PREORDER GIVEAWAY (FEATURING MOVIE POSTER SWAG FROM THE BOOK)!**

PS. The preorder giveaway ends at the end of today (7/20) so order RIGHT NOW!

And of course, it's NOW MY TURN....

Now that you have read the synopsis, I know you must be intrigued, and honestly, I feel like this is one of the most unique and original YA novels that I’ve read in some time, particularly in terms of setting (does it even have to be listed as such, just because the characters are young? This is unique, period).

Dario, our ‘lead’, is both witty, and tragic, and I found it hard not to fall for him in terms of wanting things to work out as he’s finding his way through all the craziness: his brother Oren, his father, the studio, his past, reuniting with his ‘lost’ love Hayley. He’s real and honest, and it’s tough to read some of the sections of the book about him and his mom because he’s had to deal with a lot of sadness.

That said, this is a ‘coming-of-age’ story, one where hard decisions about life have to be made, but it’s also a darkly comedic one; there’s so much humor, so much vivid imagery, and it hit the right tone with the ‘difficult’ spots, as well as the lighter ones. Milman is able to shift easily with this writing to make this both a poignant but funny and clever book.

Describing film/movie making is really hard to do, since you’re discussing a world within a world (and it’s so visual), and Milman has created this whole Moldavia Studio ‘world’ and then had to also translate as much as he can about filmmaking while keeping it easy to ‘get’. He has film terms and crew positions in there that maybe some people won’t understand (but I got a real kick out of; I could absolutely imagine this stuff) but nothing that made it confusing. *If you’re in the biz though, it’s just a bonus.

**EXTRA PERSONAL NOTE:
A quick word about why I jumped on this book like Vincent Price on a bare neck: you see, while I didn’t actually live in a castle like Moldavia Studios, which is where the book’s lead character Dario grew up, where dozens of cult classic horror movies got made, I did get close enough to my own version of this slice of craziness quite a few times. I have my degree in film and video production (and even got to take a brilliant 3 credit class all on vampire movies one summer), and spent a good decade or so working on feature films (and TV, commercials, etc), as continuity/script supervisor.

I tell you this because some of my favorite film-making memories were of making horror movies. My most fun times, as hard they were, were standing on snowy mountains seeing ‘someone getting slashed’ and hung on the ski-lift. And not many people have images of actors having their lunch with ice picks sticking out of their backs, or in bloody nightgowns but with grins on their faces. And even though I’ve even seen a house set on fire at the end of a film shoot and more fake blood than I can fathom, it doesn’t make me lose my love for the great horror classics.

I love horror movies (and books), and have taken great fascination into the old Hammer Studio movies in the past. The campy gore, the cult classics. And having Derek Milman put this into a book as a backdrop was an absolute delight, right down to all the movie names he cleverly came up with.

I absolutely can’t wait to see what Derek comes up with for his next book, although I think before that, it would be fantastic to sit down and make either a campy horror movie (it’s been a while!), or have a Hammer-Horror movie marathon!

Congrats on the new book, Derek! It’s genius.

THE BOOK GIVEAWAY

Everyone who enters the Rafflecopter giveaway at the link below has a chance to win a copy of the book and swag!

**1 winner will win a signed finished copy of SCREAM ALL NIGHT & swag, US Only.

Ends 7/30.

Enter by clicking HERE

GOOD LUCK!!!

And you can follow the whole book blog tour by following this link:

SCREAM ALL NIGHT BLOG TOUR SCHEDULE

This was a really fun book to read and I'd love to hear if anyone preorders it or reads it, as it comes out just next week! It's a real scream!

Happy Reading!

~ K

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/32928987-scream-all-night?ac=1&from_search=true
review 2018-07-20 10:00
Release Week Review! Cowboy Protector (The McKenna Legacy #6) Patricia Rosemoor!
Cowboy Protector (The McKenna Legacy) - Patricia Rosemoor

Rancher Neil McKenna Farrell has none of the psychic gifts his sister and cousins had inherited. But when he meets Annabeth Caldwell, a worker at the Chicago rodeo where he’s competing, he “sees” her in grave danger! Then he and Annabeth are taken hostage in a robbery attempt, and she’s nearly killed. He’d inherited the McKenna legacy, after all.

When Annabeth becomes entangled in something sinister, Neil has no choice but to protect her. Annabeth falls under Neil’s spell, making her long for family and a love that would last a lifetime.

Neil McKenna is a rancher who discovers that he has the inherited the McKenna Legacy after all when “sees” danger facing Annabeth and he has no choice but to protect her. Annabeth Caldwell is just trying to make ends meet by working at the Chicago rodeo when she becomes entangled in something sinister and falling under Neil’s spell, making her long for family and an everlasting love.

This delightfully sweet and thrilling romance brings readers enjoyment by combining a suspense, cowboys and a touch of the supernatural with romance. Neil and Annabeth are strong characters that captivate readers with their ‘avoid the relationship’ romance that has lots of emotional turbulence and readers can easily relate to and understand where the characters are coming from while they reach for their happily ever after.

The story progresses at a steady to fast pace and keeps readers glued to the pages with the intrigue of not only the romance but with the danger that Annabeth is facing and when the couple work toward keeping Annabeth safe, readers become more entangled with the mystery of who done it as surprising twists keep them guessing.

This is only the second story that I have read in the McKenna Legacy series but so far I am quite intrigued with all the McKenna characters and the fascinating Legacy that has each one finding true love while amongst danger and intrigue, so I will continue to catch up with this series.

Cowboy Protector

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40717908-cowboy-protector

Cowboy Protector (originally published as Cowboy Protector by Harlequin Intrigue) is the 6th book in the McKenna Legacy series

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/series/71447-the-mckenna-legacy

Stealing Thunder
Saving Grace
Brazen
Deal Breaker

Cowboy Protector is available in ebook at:

Amazon – https://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Protector-McKenna-Legacy-Book-ebook/dp/B07F6RZMVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531360814&sr=8-1&keywords=patricia+rosemoor+cowboy+protector

Kobo – https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/cowboy-protector-5

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cowboy-protector-patricia-rosemoor/1005094126?ean=2940155321019

With 100 novels and more than seven million books in print, New York Times & USA Today bestselling author Patricia Rosemoor is fascinated with "dangerous love" – combining romance with danger. She has written various forms of romantic and paranormal romantic thrillers, bringing a different mix of thrills and chills to her stories.

Website - http://www.patriciarosemoor.com/

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/patricia-rosemoor

review 2018-07-19 19:16
Juana was the star
Flesh and the Devil (Troubadour Books) - Teresa Denys

For my comments and quotes while I read, a way more in depth look at my thoughts, Buddy Read The Flesh and the Devil

The beginning of this was really enjoyable, there was a great eerie Gothic tone that had mysteries and villains seemingly in the shadows everywhere with our young, extremely sheltered heroine Juana betrothed to a lunatic. Unfortunately, the mysteries and villains get wrapped up perfectly quickly and a lot of things happen disappointingly off-screen.

The middle introduces new villains but again, dealt with pretty quickly and from there things kind of meander into an unceremoniously mellow with added too perfect bow moment ending. The romantic relationship between the leads started off with some heat, spark, and burn as they clashed but then in Bodice Ripper fashion the hero rapes the heroine (the author clearly writes this as rape with minimal Juana foggily in her mind thinking her body could be responding) and with not a lot of emotional growth/connection featuring later in the story between the two, I lost their beginning chemistry.

The author did a fantastic job of setting the place and time, there was some inserted political talk, but my favorite was Juana's personal growth. Juana goes from being a, purposefully, sheltered naive girl to a solid capable woman and the author did a wonderful job showcasing all the bumps in the road it took her to get there.

review 2018-07-19 13:55
#40 - Evergreen by Brenda Pandos
Evergreen (Mer Tales, Book 2) - Brenda Pandos

I've read Everblue, the first book in the series quite a long time ago and remembered really enjoying it. I finally decided to buy Evergreen for my Kindle and I picked it up last month because I was on holiday and I only had one physical book with me that I finished in the train before arriving (yay me! I thought I would buy books there but had no time to do shopping)

In the end, I was quite disappointed by this book. I think the thing I really liked about Everblue was Natatoria, the mermaid's world, but most of this book takes place on earth and not in the ocean so it was a disappointment for me. I also really did no like Ash, I've just re-read my review of the first book where I said I liked her... (but it was in 2015 so I've changed a lot since then).

Anyway, it was not bad but I could not stay focused and was easily distracted. The characters were a bit annoying and I was not a huge fan of the Manichaeism, it was way too pronounced in my opinion.

I still recommend this book to younger reader because I think it could work better for them!