logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-20 22:01
Blood Moon by Graeme Reynolds
High Moor 3: Blood Moon - Graeme Reynolds

Blood Moon by Graeme Reynolds
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Top Read 2017 * * * * *

Atrocities committed in the name of war. In this incredibly brutal finale, the world attempts to deal with the fact that werewolves are real, and oh-so-dangerous. Security measures are taken and, on both sides, death is dealt to those undeserving. As the body count increases exponentially, difficult decisions have to be made, and extreme action has to be taken.

(WARNING: This review contains spoilers.)

It's no secret that I absolutely adore this bloodstained trilogy with all my heart - each instalment elicited an abundance of excitement, thrilling me with every character and their often perilous ventures. Blood Moon proved to be one hell of an epic conclusion, even if it left me saddened because I just didn't want it to end. It's extremely rare that I consistently rate so high - usually I find highs as well as lows, my overall enjoyment changing, sometimes drastically, throughout a series, but with Graeme's wolf-tastic world, each addition kept me entranced. Not only did it maintain its strong quality of descriptive writing, it continued to surprise, delight and disturb me. There's actually something I feel I need to state, because it's been in my mind and, for me, it holds a lot of significance:

An author doesn't need to be a best-seller, or have a great deal of recognition to be a great writer. I believe it's our job, as readers, to discover the hidden gems out there, to bring acknowledgement to the stories that bring us joy.

It pains me to think of deserving authors going unnoticed, and not even given a chance by the wider community, but I digress. Let's get back to the review, shall we?

There's a lot of characters to keep track of and, I admit, returning after a year since reading Moonstruck was confusing at first. I found myself trying to remember who was who, but it swiftly returned to me the further I went. I daresay these novels are meant to be read in order; context plays a big part in understanding how the war came to be, not to mention the journey each character had to traverse to reach that point. Marie and John were undoubtedly my favourites, as despite being apart for most of the book, they had time to shine in their own individual ways. Marie had to step-up, become what she never thought she'd become, and John had to endure and overcome a great deal.

Of course, amongst the large cast, others stood out as well - Phil and his desperation to return to his beloved wife, and Daniel, who just wanted the best for the pack. Every single one had their own unique personality, and their own agenda that added a considerable amount of substance.

To tell you the truth, it was at times hard to root for either side. Both the human force and the werewolf pack did terrible, terrible things. Just who was the lesser evil? Well, I'm not sure, both were neck-deep in murky waters - the pack just wanted to survive, but in retaliation of their species being killed and imprisoned, they set upon a whole town of human civilians, either savagely butchering them, or turning them into moonstruck. This included children, so I can't quite say the pack was at all innocent in the situation. I felt a whole lot of dread right before that High Moor slaughter; I knew it was coming and the anticipation nearly killed me.

The ending I considered to be bittersweet. I understood why it needed to be so, but I still felt rather bad about it. It was, after all, a last resort, and I couldn't stop thinking about what all those people would lose. I almost had tears it my eyes, and that's another oddity, as most of the time nothing I read renders me so emotional, and if it does, that in itself makes it special.

One more thing, before this review comes to an end. A paragraph in chapter eighteen piqued my interest, specifically, this one:

On occasion, the she-wolf picked up the scent of fresh death in the air, and when the two of them happened across an old stone mausoleum, the air crackled with an atmosphere of malevolence that raised both wolves' hackles and forced them to back track to find another path around the place.

Is it possible that was a hint of another monster? Perhaps it was just me, but I got a vampiric vibe that I just couldn't shake! It's a little - a mere hint - but it certainly stuck out. Since it was confirmed that other creatures did exist, I kept it in mind to pay extra attention for any teasers, and I believe I may have found one.

In conclusion - I was lucky to discover this trilogy, and honoured to read it. Werewolf horror at its finest, and I hope Reynolds one day returns to this world. I'm sure it has much more to offer.

Notable Scene:

Where Amy's pretty face had been, there was only a bloodstained skull. The bone had deep gouges carved into it and Amy's beautiful blue eyes stared out of the gore at nothing. Her friend's body stood on its own for a second, then fell to the floor in a crumpled heap. Anna couldn't help herself. She turned to Matty and was met by a visage from the depths of hell. The boy's eyes were flat, reflective disks in the flicking candlelight. His face is distorted - the bone stretched into a snout filled with row upon row of razor sharp fangs. A mass of bloody flesh and muscle dangled from between those terrible jaws. They crunched once, then swallowed. Matty brought up a clawed hand and wiped his mouth. "Aye, she wasnae wrong. She did have a tasty face."

description

© Red Lace 2018

Wordpress ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter

Source: redlace.reviews/2018/01/20/blood-moon-by-graeme-reynolds
show activity (+)
photo 2018-01-20 18:11
Amazon Review Quote

"This well written fantasy has plenty of intriguing characters and plenty of action, with some doses of peril that will keep you reading and crossing your fingers for a happy ending.  I sure enjoyed it and would love to read more about Blue, his friends, and this magical world."

Source: www.amazon.com/Blue-Unicorns-Journey-Illustrated-Book-ebook/dp/B06X416LGX
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-20 11:29
Review of The Ghost Hunter's by Neil Spring
The Ghost Hunters - Neil Spring

Wow this is my first review on BookLikes and I'm going to start with a book I mentioned in a previous blog post "The Ghost Hunter's."

Now if a book contains any element of truth I'm really interested to read it and see how fact and fiction blend.

"The Ghost Hunter's" is told from the perspective of Sarah Grey, a young women, who in 1926, becomes assistant to Harry Price one of Britain's best known psychic investigators.

Having lost her father in the war, it is  Sarah's mother who becomes obsessed with finding a medium who can let her speak to her late husband; and it is through this search Sarah encounters Price for the first time.

Price is determined to expose fake mediums as he doesn't believe authentic ones exists, and it is this work Sarah helps him with.

But everything changes when a national paper asks Price to investigator Borley Rectory; as the night Sarah and Price spend there changes both their lives for ever.

In this his debut novel Neil Spring weaves fact and fiction effortless to give a new take on both Harry Price and Borley Rectory.

Now if you are looking for a horror story, you will need to look elsewhere as this book is psychologically driven.

Sarah Grey's character is Neil's creation, but she is a very likable and well crafted. You can almost feel her pain at different stages throughout the book.

Harry Price had the reputation of being the best known psychic investigator, not only in Britain but beyond. These days a lot of his work, especially that on Borley has been  dispelled as fraudulent, and in this book Neil portrays him as a secretive man who is also cunning and deceitful.

No one knows for sure just what happened at Borley Rectory, but even today it is still something of an enigma.

Did Price fabricate a lot of it as purported in the book?

We shall never know, although even today there reports of strange happenings in Borley Church.

This a wonderful book and I can't recommend it highly enough.

text 2018-01-20 00:04
South Bellmore Veterinary Group Review: How to better protect your pets during winter

Animals need protection against hazardous weather conditions such as extreme colds or drop in temperatures. Your role as the pet owner is to give shelter and warmth to your pets to keep them safe against dangerous winter storms. South Bellmore Veterinary Group, as a group who takes care of animals as if they’re their own, would like every pet owner to better protect their pet and maintain its best health. The following paragraphs will elucidate a few steps on how to take care of pets during winter or the cold season.

Keep every pet indoors or create a sturdy shelter for pets living outside. If you have short-haired animals, you are advised to keep them indoors during winter. Give your cats the warmth and comfort they need inside your home since they will really be looking for shelter especially in cold seasons. Your dog needs to have a well-made and draft-free shelter, but you should make the space small enough to keep its body temperature inside. However, space should still let your dog move around. You also need to add something to the entrance of the shelter to cover it and put a straw or cedar shavings for proper insulation.

You also need to check the electrical cords properly and if needed, double check each of them if they’re away from any danger or if they’re in a good condition. Don’t forget even the cords of devices that warm water bowls. Put heat lamps on a good distance away from dry bedding materials to avoid accidents that could even lead to a fire.

Next requires you to jot down things since this includes the list of important things to remember to put on your pet’s emergency or survival kit. Any types of emergencies could happen anytime especially in risky weather conditions such as winter storms, so to keep the best health of your pet, better be prepared beforehand. Food and water will always be included in any emergency kits, South Bellmore Veterinary Group suggests storing at least a three-day supply for both food and water, and you better keep the foods on an airtight and waterproof container. Put the medicines and medical records in a safe and enclosed packaging together with other essential documents that contain the pet’s adoption papers, registration information, and vaccination documents. If you’re open to the idea of microchipping, further discuss the issue with your veterinarian and might as well enroll your pet in a recovery database.

Make sure if you also have enough stock of cotton bandage rolls, bandage tape, bandage scissors, latex gloves, isopropyl alcohol, a saline solution as well as antibiotic ointment, and flea and tick prevention for your pet’s first aid kit. Keep a reference book ready too to perform first aid on pets properly. Add a collar or harness with ID tag, along with rabies tag and a leash plus a secured and durable crate or pet carrier on your pet’s emergency kit.

In order to document ownership right away in case of unfortunate events such as you and your pet were separated during the evacuation, better keep a photo of you and your pet. You can also easily request help from other people if you add important characteristics of your pet such as its gender, age, breed, color, and species.

Your pet might become scared or stressed because of the bad weather condition, so in order to calm their mind, show them their favorite items where it can be a toy or some treats. You still need to maintain the proper hygiene of your pet so ensure to keep newspapers, paper towels, plastic trash bags and household chlorine bleach for the right sanitation of your pet’s litter box. Keeping an exotic pet requires added attention or special care, so see to it that you have the right bedding and habitat materials for this kind of pet.

Buy sweater or added clothing for your pets during winter to at least avoid frostbite and hypothermia. Don’t forget about your short-haired animals since they really need warmth and protection throughout the entire cold season. Wipe all your pet’s paws with a damp cloth if you used rock salt or other chemicals in melting the snow and ice outside your home because these elements can irritate your pet paw pads.

South Bellmore Veterinary Group would like you to treat the animals within your neighborhood with care, so if you’d happen to see some abandoned animals struggling in the tough weather, contact the animal care in your area or the local authorities to give shelter to those poor animals.