logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-20 22:01
Blood Moon by Graeme Reynolds
High Moor 3: Blood Moon - Graeme Reynolds

Blood Moon by Graeme Reynolds
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Top Read 2017 * * * * *

Atrocities committed in the name of war. In this incredibly brutal finale, the world attempts to deal with the fact that werewolves are real, and oh-so-dangerous. Security measures are taken and, on both sides, death is dealt to those undeserving. As the body count increases exponentially, difficult decisions have to be made, and extreme action has to be taken.

(WARNING: This review contains spoilers.)

It's no secret that I absolutely adore this bloodstained trilogy with all my heart - each instalment elicited an abundance of excitement, thrilling me with every character and their often perilous ventures. Blood Moon proved to be one hell of an epic conclusion, even if it left me saddened because I just didn't want it to end. It's extremely rare that I consistently rate so high - usually I find highs as well as lows, my overall enjoyment changing, sometimes drastically, throughout a series, but with Graeme's wolf-tastic world, each addition kept me entranced. Not only did it maintain its strong quality of descriptive writing, it continued to surprise, delight and disturb me. There's actually something I feel I need to state, because it's been in my mind and, for me, it holds a lot of significance:

An author doesn't need to be a best-seller, or have a great deal of recognition to be a great writer. I believe it's our job, as readers, to discover the hidden gems out there, to bring acknowledgement to the stories that bring us joy.

It pains me to think of deserving authors going unnoticed, and not even given a chance by the wider community, but I digress. Let's get back to the review, shall we?

There's a lot of characters to keep track of and, I admit, returning after a year since reading Moonstruck was confusing at first. I found myself trying to remember who was who, but it swiftly returned to me the further I went. I daresay these novels are meant to be read in order; context plays a big part in understanding how the war came to be, not to mention the journey each character had to traverse to reach that point. Marie and John were undoubtedly my favourites, as despite being apart for most of the book, they had time to shine in their own individual ways. Marie had to step-up, become what she never thought she'd become, and John had to endure and overcome a great deal.

Of course, amongst the large cast, others stood out as well - Phil and his desperation to return to his beloved wife, and Daniel, who just wanted the best for the pack. Every single one had their own unique personality, and their own agenda that added a considerable amount of substance.

To tell you the truth, it was at times hard to root for either side. Both the human force and the werewolf pack did terrible, terrible things. Just who was the lesser evil? Well, I'm not sure, both were neck-deep in murky waters - the pack just wanted to survive, but in retaliation of their species being killed and imprisoned, they set upon a whole town of human civilians, either savagely butchering them, or turning them into moonstruck. This included children, so I can't quite say the pack was at all innocent in the situation. I felt a whole lot of dread right before that High Moor slaughter; I knew it was coming and the anticipation nearly killed me.

The ending I considered to be bittersweet. I understood why it needed to be so, but I still felt rather bad about it. It was, after all, a last resort, and I couldn't stop thinking about what all those people would lose. I almost had tears it my eyes, and that's another oddity, as most of the time nothing I read renders me so emotional, and if it does, that in itself makes it special.

One more thing, before this review comes to an end. A paragraph in chapter eighteen piqued my interest, specifically, this one:

On occasion, the she-wolf picked up the scent of fresh death in the air, and when the two of them happened across an old stone mausoleum, the air crackled with an atmosphere of malevolence that raised both wolves' hackles and forced them to back track to find another path around the place.

Is it possible that was a hint of another monster? Perhaps it was just me, but I got a vampiric vibe that I just couldn't shake! It's a little - a mere hint - but it certainly stuck out. Since it was confirmed that other creatures did exist, I kept it in mind to pay extra attention for any teasers, and I believe I may have found one.

In conclusion - I was lucky to discover this trilogy, and honoured to read it. Werewolf horror at its finest, and I hope Reynolds one day returns to this world. I'm sure it has much more to offer.

Notable Scene:

Where Amy's pretty face had been, there was only a bloodstained skull. The bone had deep gouges carved into it and Amy's beautiful blue eyes stared out of the gore at nothing. Her friend's body stood on its own for a second, then fell to the floor in a crumpled heap. Anna couldn't help herself. She turned to Matty and was met by a visage from the depths of hell. The boy's eyes were flat, reflective disks in the flicking candlelight. His face is distorted - the bone stretched into a snout filled with row upon row of razor sharp fangs. A mass of bloody flesh and muscle dangled from between those terrible jaws. They crunched once, then swallowed. Matty brought up a clawed hand and wiped his mouth. "Aye, she wasnae wrong. She did have a tasty face."

description

© Red Lace 2018

Wordpress ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter

Source: redlace.reviews/2018/01/20/blood-moon-by-graeme-reynolds
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-20 11:29
Review of The Ghost Hunter's by Neil Spring
The Ghost Hunters - Neil Spring

Wow this is my first review on BookLikes and I'm going to start with a book I mentioned in a previous blog post "The Ghost Hunter's."

Now if a book contains any element of truth I'm really interested to read it and see how fact and fiction blend.

"The Ghost Hunter's" is told from the perspective of Sarah Grey, a young women, who in 1926, becomes assistant to Harry Price one of Britain's best known psychic investigators.

Having lost her father in the war, it is  Sarah's mother who becomes obsessed with finding a medium who can let her speak to her late husband; and it is through this search Sarah encounters Price for the first time.

Price is determined to expose fake mediums as he doesn't believe authentic ones exists, and it is this work Sarah helps him with.

But everything changes when a national paper asks Price to investigator Borley Rectory; as the night Sarah and Price spend there changes both their lives for ever.

In this his debut novel Neil Spring weaves fact and fiction effortless to give a new take on both Harry Price and Borley Rectory.

Now if you are looking for a horror story, you will need to look elsewhere as this book is psychologically driven.

Sarah Grey's character is Neil's creation, but she is a very likable and well crafted. You can almost feel her pain at different stages throughout the book.

Harry Price had the reputation of being the best known psychic investigator, not only in Britain but beyond. These days a lot of his work, especially that on Borley has been  dispelled as fraudulent, and in this book Neil portrays him as a secretive man who is also cunning and deceitful.

No one knows for sure just what happened at Borley Rectory, but even today it is still something of an enigma.

Did Price fabricate a lot of it as purported in the book?

We shall never know, although even today there reports of strange happenings in Borley Church.

This a wonderful book and I can't recommend it highly enough.

review 2018-01-19 21:41
The Undead Walk Among US in Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell @Gwen_Mitchell
Cloak of Deceit: An Urban Fantasy Romance (Alex Moore Book 1) - Gwen Mitchell

I received Cloak of Deceit from Gwen Mitchell some time ago and it got lost in the review pile. This year, I aim to catch up on every review owed, regardless of how long it has been.

Cloak of Deceit (Alex Moore, #1)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

Alex Moore is a college senior and her whole life had been planned out. Until now.

Her boyfriend broke the rules of the vampire society when he created her and now she is not only a vampire, she is a psychic and has telekinetic powers.  The voices inside her head are the hive, a group of psychics called Gregori. But she is more than that.

She is an impossibility. She is a Gregori, a sworn enemy of the Undead, even though she is one of the Undead also.

I went through the painful, horrifying transformation with her. I heard the voices calling. I ran with her, though it was only in our minds.

Whether she was a violation of the law or a walking bull’s eye, it didn’t matter. Either way she was in deep danger. They all want her dead.

There would be no escape. Without Julian, a Knight of the Cloak, a sexy Undead enforcer, she didn’t stand a chance. Would he stand beside her?

When she talked of drinking the blood and the thickness coating her throat, it almost made me gag.

Tomato juice + cow’s blood = newbie cocktail

I enjoyed this vampire romance novel. Gwen Mitchell did an excellent job with descriptions and details of the fights and emotions of the characters. I loved and hated them and what more can I ask for.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/the-undead-walk-among-us-in-cloak-of-deceit-by-gwen-mitchell-gwen_mitchell
review 2018-01-19 21:09
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins @pameloth
Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1) - Pamela Fagan Hutchins

I am a cover girl and when I saw the cover for Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins, I had to have it. I love anything to do with water and this one is a beauty. What do you think?

Cover by Heidi Dorey

Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You, #1)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

I love the cover and the location, the Virgin Islands, for Pamela Fagan Hutchins’ Saving Grace. It was all I hoped it would be.

I was relating to Katie quickly, wrapping her napkin neatly around her beer, playing pool and winning, but that’s where the similarities ended. I don’t drink and text and neither should she. I find it terrible that a lawyer would act like she did, especially in a room with all her coworkers. She acts like an obsessively love struck teenager.

The beginning is abrupt and I was thrown right into the story and I don’t much like Katie right now. But, let’s see if there is a reason for her being so out of control and sophomoric.

The name dropping got a bit annoying…Dennis the Menace, Bon Jovi, Direct TV, iPhone, Ihop, Hooters, Vaio, Dell, Blackberry…you get the drift.

An intervention sent her to St Marcos in her quest to solve the mystery of her parents death and get her act together. Enter Ava, who in her way introduced Katie to Annalise, Hebrew for Grace, an abandoned mansion that spoke to Katie. Now Pamela has my attention! Who…or what… is really doing the talking?

Katie loved walking on the beach and it cleared her mind. Now, we’re getting together.

Oh man, guess it had to happen, but I’m disappointed how her trip ended. I have a feeling that will change. It was just getting good for me, but I feel there is a lot more to come.

When the news came over the phone after one of the worst days of her life, I got super excited too. My heart beat faster, a smile came to my face, and I began racing through the pages. Oh yeah, now we’re cooking with Caribbean heat.

She got a pick up with a lift kit and cruised off to her new life. I want to be there!! I love to bury my feet in the sand and I have enjoyed a PainKiller or two.

I’m afraid for her and her friends. In the islands anything can happen. The suspense is mounting, the tension building. I can feel it. I see it coming. Does she?

I didn’t like Katie’s whining and sniveling for the longest time, but her growth and development, her willingness to see herself as she really was and make changes, made me like her more and more.

Now…after thinking I wasn’t going to like this so much…I find myself hating for it to end and wanting more.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/saving-grace-pamela-fagan-hutchins-pameloth
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-19 19:54
Gothic Tales of Haunted Love

I have conflicting feelings about this book, but I did enjoy it overall.

*Tagged as spoiler, because this book could be triggering. There are lots of blood, gore, pictures of what looks like self harm, and murder...also baby killing.

37542185

There were a few stories that I personally felt did not make sense, and also I could not see what was Gothic about them. Maybe I don't fully understand the word "Gothic" but that was my feeling while reading this. I did like it that the "bad guy" was usually the girl, and she wasn't a damsel in distress or something.

Highly disturbing stories, but I went in expecting that. However, there was one story that was a little too much for me personally and it involved taking a baby from a mother's womb and killing it....

I enjoyed the varied artwork and color schemes used in this.

*Provided by Netgally*