logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-02-09 15:04
well that was silly of me......
Discount Armageddon - Seanan McGuire

So I've been meaning to read this book for ages now, and i finally got my hands on it, problem is i read it a few weeks ago now, and i don't know if i just forgot to write my thoughts down or if i just can't recall where i put them..... So i can't really write a review, it wouldn't be fair as i don't recall all the positives and negatives. Though i do recall some talking mice, who were adorable, and an assortment or other magical critters, most of which were the opposite of adorable. and i do like my critters, so that was a definite plus! and i recall for the most part liking the main characters (there was 3) the cuckoo? being the most fascinating, but i have a vague recalling of them being kind of annoying at times.

anyways, i believe overall i enjoyed the book except for some possible knit-picking issues, and i know i definitely wanted to read the second book, there's a dragon involved and a serious butt-kicking secret society who's out to kill everything non-human, which is bad, just in case you were wondering. So it should be quite entertaining. Until next time.

review 2014-06-14 23:33
Mr. Spaceman by Robert Olen Butler
Mr. Spaceman - Robert Olen Butler

Desi sits in his spaceship, on the eve of the millennium, preparing to unveil his spaceman existence to a world that, despite his kind having studied us for decades, he barely comprehends. He finds the concept of language and words utterly alien (heh, see what I did there?) and tends to speak in strings of advertising slogans. He has a beloved wife he picked up from Earth, and a yellow cat, and now, one last task before the big reveal to humankind: He's abducted a bus full of tourists on their way to a casino, in order to learn about them. He's a Friendly Guy, a Regular Joe, despite being a skinny alien with cat eyes and 8 fingers on each hand. Desi thinks humanity can be summed up in one word: yearning, another thing he thinks is alien.

Yet this really isn't a sci-fi book at all.

It's a very beautifully written book, there are passages I just wanted to read and re-read and savour. I suspect one that you will either love or hate it though. It's a typical literary plot, as in, there really isn't one, or rather there is, but it's not the point. It's really an in depth exploration of the human condition, from one spaceman's point of view, and it covers a lot of ground: Racism, war, religion, history, parents and children and children and parents. A lot of ground indeed, for under 300 pages.

Anyway I'm just going to cop out on trying to sensibly review this: I liked it. A lot. And I highly recommend you check out the sample, you'll know within 2 pages if you hate it or not.

review 2014-03-02 12:54
this is not a review, this is a bunch of random thoughts shoved together in no special order... O.o
Ship Breaker - Paolo Bacigalupi

I sadly didnt enjoy this book as much as i was hoping to. im not really sure why? maybe to me the kids didnt seem savage enough? dont get me wrong their certainly not a bunch of pansies partying on the beach, but i dont know i suppose i kind of expected them to be more feral than what they were?

though it did come out at times (mainly when the Swank first showed up) and that was impressive. truly nitty gritty.

My fave character by far had to be Tool, im very much hoping he'll have his own story, he was so interesting and we know so little about him.
after that i really like pima, i thought she was a fantastic leader, she was kind and caring while still showing enough savagery to stay in boss roll.

The whole idea of the world was pretty incredible, hard life easy death. and being a swank (rich person) didnt mean your life wasnt filled with peril and struggles all on its own, just different sort of struggles.

i'll definitely be looking into more books by this author!