logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Our-Founder
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-11-03 16:00
The Founder (A Broken World Book #4) by Dean Murray
The Founder - Dean Murray
The Founder is the fourth book in the Broken World series, but this book takes you on a different route than the previous three. In this one, Skye is by herself, not knowing if she will ever see Brennan again. Instead of running away from the enclave, she is running towards it. She is searching for her mother, and will do whatever it takes to get answers. This book certainly has a different dynamic to the others - don't get me wrong, I love Skye. It was just a bit strange to only hear about her and not Brennan too. Instead, Skye manages to get a small group of friends, none of whom know who she really is, whilst she is searching for her mother.

This is one heck of a book, with more twists and turns than a maize maze! There were some parts that were quite technical, but my husband was fascinated when I read them out to him, so I guess it's just not my strong point! Instead, I found the inter-personal relationships intriguing, especially when one of Skye's creche-mates turns up.

This is part of a series, so it does you no good to read this as a standalone. You need to have read the others for it to make sense. However, there were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow, and the pace and integrity of the characters are just what I have come to expect from Dean Murray. Ending on a cliffhanger, it will definitely leave you wanting more. Definitely recommended by me.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/thefoundertheoutsiderabrokenworld45bydeanmurray
show activity (+)
review 2016-03-13 15:11
Biography for the mid-grade set
Mercy: The Incredible Story of Henry Bergh, Founder of the ASPCA and Friend to Animals - Nancy Furstinger,Vincent Desjardins

"Mercy" is a short biography of ASPCA founder Henry Bergh, aimed at the mid-grade set. Because it deals with animal cruelty, it is not always an easy or pleasant read.

Nevertheless, it paints a picture of the times in which Bergh lived and how unusual it was for anyone in his high social position to speak up on behalf of animals.

The book also contains some informative sidebars about contemporary historical figures like P.T. Barnum and Louisa May Alcott, as well as things like the history of political cartoons and circuses.

The watercolor illustrations are appropriate for a book aimed at younger readers, and there are also some excellent historical photographs included to show the basis for the interior paintings.

Nicely done, and a good introduction to the historical importance of the anti-cruelty movement.

review 2013-10-24 23:38
Founder - Jodi Payne

Founder - Jodi Payne

Okay, published in 2007, I had missed this one. But it was not a great loss.

Aubrey is a great character and his mess and flaws are quite credible, I understand the dynamics between him and the family he works for. But the story with Kelly escapes me, mainly because I can't understand on what basis Kelly (a kid who can't accept NO for an answer from an unknown, alcoholic cuckold with anger issues) justifies his expectations, and because Aubrey feels terribly guilty rather than simply regretful. However, I could round up the "great character stupid plot" with 3 stars, but the fact that the two semi-decent sex scenes take place with two characters who are not Kelly doesn't make me feel guilty to give this book 2 stars.

review 2013-10-14 01:12
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IAG-members/conversations/topics/17715
Montfort: The Viceroy - 1243 to 1253 - Katherine Ashe

Montfort: The Early Years - Katherine Ashe

review 2013-09-15 00:00
Founder - Jodi Payne MON, 16-Sept-2013: m/m CR... Torquere 1-HOUR freebie (6-7pm US/Central)