logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Out-of-the-Shadows
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-12 16:38
"Dancing With Shadows", by Adrian Churchward
Dancing With Shadows (The Puppet Meisters Trilogy) - Adrian Churchward
Book #2, in The Puppet Meisters trilogy

“Dancing With Shadows” is the second book dealing with state abuse of power featuring Scott Mitchell, a human rights lawyer. This sequel to “Moscow Bound” is a gripping and exciting read from start to finish. This time we have Scott on suspicion of laundering $250 million for the Chechen mafia and we follow him through a sea of untrustworthy characters from London, to different Russian cities, to Budapest and Malta in a cat and mouse game while he tries to prove his innocence.

Scott is the lead in this story but many characters we came to know in the first book are re-introduced and play important roles: Ekaterina, Gravchenko and Pravda. Ms. Churchward doesn’t shy away from introducing multiple new characters also. The plot has multiple threads to follow that need our attention and can be overwhelming but the author set the stage expertly by including a group of well-developed players, beautiful surroundings and a touch of gastronomy delights. No doubt, this gripping tale filled with unexpected twists and turns is well worth reading. If you enjoy a thriller rifles with conspiracy and danger and have a soft spot for some Anglo-Russian shenanigans, give this one a try.

My thanks to NetGalley and to Silverwood Books for the opportunity to read this book

review 2017-11-08 13:09
My Review of A Threat of Shadows
A Threat of Shadows (The Keeper Chronicles) (Volume 1) - JA Andrews

A Threat of Shadows by J.A. Andrews is the first book of The Keeper Chronicles. We follow Alaric on his journey to find a cure for his dying wife.

I just love J.A.'s writing style. She lured me in with the first sentence and kept my attention throughout the book. I fell in love with the characters. They were believable to the point of making sure I had tissues on hand. This is a wonderful love story? Maybe...but definitely a story of determination and love so strong that you have to ask yourself, "How far would I go for a loved one?" Truly an amazing tale. I can't wait for the next book!

review 2017-11-02 13:49
V.C. Andrews - the Dollanganger Series
Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews
Petals on the Wind - V.C. Andrews
If There Be Thorns - V.C. Andrews
Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger Series) - V.C. Andrews
Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger Series) - V.C. Andrews

Sadly, this wasn't the first VCA book I ever read (I started off with the Cutler family series) but when I finally got around to Flowers in the Attic, I was not disappointed. It is easily one of the best books I have ever read. The drama, the intrigue, the suspense... I have read this book several times and never get tired of it.

You can't help but feel bad for the poor kids, especially with their harsh treatment by their grandmother and the blatant selfishness of their mother. One might wonder why the events in this book have transpired as they have, but this book is simply the first in a fascinating five-book series, and the rest of the series explains why this book was the way it was, especially the fifth, which serves as a prequel. The entire saga is riveting!

After reading Flowers in the Attic, I was happy to continue the story with Petals on the Wind. If I were Cathy, I'd be supremely pissed off at my own mother, and want to plot revenge. It was sad in some parts, but a satisfying read overall.

The trio that managed to escape the Foxworth mansion after the death of their brother are forever scarred by their traumatic experience, especially Carrie, who constantly struggles with the physical and mental scars that are left on her. Despite being adopted by a man who treats them well, the children can't quite get over what happened, though Chris is more quick to move on and start a productive life in medicine. Cathy desires revenge - perfectly justified - but makes some stupid decisions along the way. However, her thirst for revenge comes to fruiton as she lashes against the evil grandmother and her mother.

All in all, this is a worthy continuation of Flowers in the Attic, with things coming full circle, so to speak (at least in some aspects, since this series still has 3 more books to go)

If There Be Thorns doesn't have the same feel as FitA or PotW, but is still a wonderful book. People wonder why Malcolm was the way he was, and Bart's reading of his journal helps to shed some light in why the Foxworth bloodline became so twisted and why Malcolm treated/saw women the way he did. The storyline focuses on Jory and Bart, and how they come to know the old lady next door - and her dark secret, and how Malcolm's madness continued to live on. A definite must-read for any VCA fan.

Seeds of Yesterday doesn't have so much to do with the first three Dollanganger books, as it's now 1997 (over a decade set after the actual date VCA published this, in the mid-80's) but still stands as a decent story in its own right, with the surprising reappearance of a character long thought dead. And religion comes back with this character, reminding Chris and Cathy all too well why they didn't want anything to do with religion. As a part of a series, Seeds of Yesterday doesn't contribute overmuch to the Foxworth saga, which is sad, because it'd have been nice to learn more about the Foxworths.

Just one plothole - in SoY, it's 1997, but in the next book 'Garden of Shadows' (prequel to Flowers in the Attic), Olivia Foxworth's will included a letter to be opened 20 years after her death (which was the story of GoS) and her death was in 1972, so Chris and Cathy should have read GoS by now, five years before SOY, and already be aware of what happened between Malcolm and Olivia.

After reading the rest of the Dollanganger series, I was naturally eager to start Garden of Shadows. It is stunning how a woman that you end up feeling sorry for turns into such a horrible person in FitA. Yes, Olivia went through a bad transformation, but here you see who the REAL villain is.

Tempting hints of Malcolm and Olivia's turbulent relationship with one another and their children and grandchildren were hinted at in previous books, but here, from Olivia's own viewpoint, we see why she has suffered. Mind you, this doesn't absolve her of the bad things she did, but you can see how she became the kind of person she did, and what led Chris and Corrine to run away from home. It is sad that V.C. Andrews died before she could complete this book, as the ghostwriter wrote much of this, and one can not help but wonder how the book would have been had VCA been able to complete it.
review 2017-10-29 19:56
I am a bit bewildered...
Scorched Shadows - Steve McHugh Scorched Shadows - Steve McHugh

It seems to be "Disappointed with series I used to love" month.

I waited for this for some time, immediately got it after it was published and started reading. And stopped reading after 10 minutes.

Tried again. Stopped again.

I was bored. As simple as that.

Life is too short for boring books. There are too many great ones out there.

review 2017-10-26 20:01
So this was different...
Ink and Shadows - Greg Tremblay,Rhys Ford

Full Disclosure here...I listened to this audio book for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only...1. it was written by Rhys Ford & 2. it's narrated by Greg Tremblay because I'm telling you this is so much 'NOT' my type of book but...Rhys Ford? Really, there's no way I was going to never read/listen to this story. I admit I've owned the book for a while but...damn when I saw it on audio, well...willpower I has none. Thank heavens because I loved it...I really and seriously loved it.

This is a bit of urban fantasy with a dash of horror with a smidgen of romance and a solid dose of good vs evil...and don't be to hasty thinking you know who the bad guys are because you will probably be wrong...just sayin'.

The main characters in this story are 'The Four Horsemen'...

We have Death, War, Famine and Pestilence, otherwise known as Shi (only War can call Death by this name though), Ari (you guessed it...War), Min (short for Famine) and Mal (more commonly known as Pestilence) and a young heroin addicted, tattoo artist named 'Kismet' who happens to not only see ghost and other 'otherworldly' things but he comes complete with his own ghost...that of his little brother...and that's a story all on it's own.

While this is by no means a romance story that by no means is meant to imply that there is no romance here because War and Death...well let's just say there's some definite history there and Kismet and Mal have so much potential. Kismet's ironically far more street savvy than Mal and these two are adorable together even if Mal has yet to fully realize that his feelings go beyond friendship where Kismet's concerned. Mal is by far the most innocent and sweetly naive horseman ever! to attend an apocalypse...I'm not sure how he managed that one.  Add in the fact that much of what happens in this story is directly attributable to love and while it's not a romance story there's definitely a lot or romantic implications.

While I can't say that this will be on my '10 Best Books'  for this year...mostly because I've been lucky and read a lot of good books this year. It is easily one of the most unusual and surprise books that I've read this year.

I was honestly surprised at just how much of this story I enjoyed. I loved the spin that it gave to the concept of 'The Four Horsemen', I loved...seriously, I LOVED War...he hands down win's the award for book character with the driest sense of humor EVAH!!! I admit it my sense of humor is a little wonky at times and I clicked with War his comments were so spot on and in contrast to him...Death worked. He was the ideal contrast to War. Their personalities played off of each other to perfection. War's sense of humor was witty, sarcastic and often dryer than a James Bond martini.

Ok, enough about War...you get it, right? He was my fav. The other thing I liked about this story was the plot which I can't really say a lot about specifically because...pretty much anything beyond the blurb is going to spoil things so I loved the story line again it was filled with some twist and turns that gave a fresh touch to a whole lot of age old and traditional characters all done up in a modern day setting.

So wrap up all of this in an audio book narrated by the incredibly talented Greg Tremblay and should I have been surprised that I loved this book a whole lot more than I was expecting to? No, but I was and the only thing I'm left wondering now is...when is the next book being released? And how soon can I get it on audio?