logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Past-present
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-20 06:45
The Attacking Ocean by Brian Fagan
The Attacking Ocean: The Past, Present, and Future of Rising Sea Levels - Brian M. Fagan

TITLE:  The Attacking Ocean

AUTHOR:  Brian Fagan

DATE PUBLISHED:  2013

FORMAT:  ebook

ISBN-13:  9781608196951

________________________

In this book, Brian Fagan takes a look at the changing sea levels over the entire span of human civilization, from the end of the Ice Age to our current levels.  He also takes a look at the complex relationship between the growing human population and the oceans along which we live.

Fagan provides a variety of case examples over a variety of ages all over the globe that show how rising ocean levels are as ancient as the Earth and that humans have usually adapted to the changing sea levels.  There is also some discussion on how the Netherlands and a few other countries have dealt with reclaiming or at least keeping the ocean at bay; and how feasible (politically and financially) these options are for poorer countries.   Fagan also briefly discusses the deleterious effect that the destruction of coastal estuaries, mangroves, barrier islands and wetlands, as well as excessive ground water pumping, has on mitigating the effects of storm surges, hurricanes, tsunamis and floods etc.  Fagan also provides a brief explanation why rising sea levels are important, for example: in terms of loss of agricultural land and increased salinity in ground water resulting in less food production;   loss of living land resulting in large migrations to other places that don’t want or can’t afford an excessive influx of people; the destruction of coastal cities/villages; and large financial expenditure to rebuild damaged infrastructure or flood barriers etc.

The book is fairly interesting and well written, but the various examples tend to have a lot of similarities, probably made unavoidable by the nature of the subject.  One interesting feature of this book is the second table of contents which arranges chapters in terms of regions rather than chronologically, providing an alternative reading order.  Maps of the different regions are provided but these don’t show up very well in the ebook.

review 2017-03-30 16:56
Down by the Feed Mill by David Hanks
Down by the Feed Mill: The Past and Present of America's Feed Mills and Grain Elevators - David Hanks

I have a thing for old barns and feed mills.. They are just beautiful to me. I love when my husband and I take trips and we see them in passing, I always try to snap pictures of them. This book is just filled with over 240 pictures of feed mills. The pictures are of the outsides and some David Hanks was able to go inside of and take pictures. There are also some historical pictures of some of the feed mills during their early years and a comparison against the pictures he took for the book. I also loved that not only were their pictures but there was also explanations of the feed mill industry and machinery. I also love how most of the pictures are in black and white. It really just adds to the beauty and the historical significance.  I was given a e-copy of this book but will be buying the hard copy as well.

I received this book from the Author or Publisher via Netgalley.com to read and review.

review 2017-03-03 15:01
Lost Treasures of the Heart: Past and Present Collide in a Haunting Tale of Passion and Adventure (Treasures of the Tides Trilogy) (Volume 1) - Charlie Most,Charlene Keel,Alana Beall,Jesse Sanchez

What a great book. It is actually the story of 2 people 300 years apart.

Johnathon is a architect in the present. His marriage has crumbled due to his wife having an affair with his friend and employee. He goes on fishing trip with a group of friends to North Carolina. One night during a storm him and 2 friends spot a ghost ship. Only Johnathon sees the beautiful red headed captain though. She immediately starts haunting not only his dreams but his waking hours as well.

Kate Russel was raised in the lap of luxury along with her orphaned cousin. Kate falls for a rogue pirate and fancy's herself in love. When he comes back to port one day she finds out not only was he using her but her cousin was as well to gain her father's fortune. During an argument where he starts to go after her cousin she picks up a knife and stabs him to save her cousin. She ended up killing him. Now she is on the run from Blackbeard. She tells her father who immediately signs over his ship to her and sets in motion her get away. She was supposed to sail to England and start her own legal shipping business but along the way she ends up going rogue and becomes a pirate.

Johnathon is so obsessed with Kate and the Ghost Ship he buys a house in Kill Devil Hills, leaves his family behind, leaves his right hand man in charge of the business, and locks himself away so he can watch for the ship again. He starts seeing Kate everywhere though and knows she is asking him for help. He just cannot figure out what kind of help. A small chest washes up on shore during a hurricane holding Kate's most precious possessions. Now he must figure out what all of this means.

This was a great story I really enjoyed every minute of the book. The 2 stories flowed very nicely together. The characters were all very well laid out too. Can't wait for book 2.

review 2017-02-24 06:46
The Patriots by Sana Krasikov
The Patriots: A Novel - Sana Krasikov

It seemed to be off to a good start, but it declined so quickly and so much. All the telling and not showing was extremely tedious, and the characters felt so flat and interchangeable. Not to mention the switching between past and present -- this style of historical fiction needs to go away! -- especially with the modern bits being so dull and not fitting in style at all.

review 2015-07-12 01:07
Girl at War by Sara Nović
Girl at War: A Novel - Sara Nović

Not particularly well-written, and it seemed like it was meant for a younger audience.  Lots of telling, not showing, and it didn't feel very convincing or that there were any real emotions connected to what went on.  Too much jumping around, rather than building the story. Disappointing.