logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Poetry
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-07 19:32
Adultolescence by Gabbie Hanna

My review today is on a book of poetry written by Gabbie Hanna. She is most known for her YouTube channel The Gabbie Show.

However, I am disappointed to say that her book was not my cup of tea.

I got this through Netgally in exchange for a review. I had to stop after about half the poems. I will admit, I do not know much about poetry. I feel bad putting a low rating on something that is the author's feelings, but personally I felt it was badly written and just odd. It seemed childish, which I guess fits the theme of the book and title.

The poems are personal to Gabbie and I feel like they will resonate with some people; just not me.

I don't know much about her, but she genuinely seems like a nice person. She is trying to be funny in the book, even with her more depressing poems and it didn't work for me. However, I do think she can be funny. I've seen some of her videos randomly while going on a YouTube binge, as a person is want to do when it is late at night and they can't sleep.

review 2017-08-26 14:26
Legend of Love: Muse of Epic Poetry - Callie - Lisa Kessler

Legend of Love by Lisa Kessler is the second book in the Muse Chronicles series. If I were to make a comparison with the previous book. I would have to say this my favourite.

What the story is about.

Legend of Love is Callie O’Connor’s story. Callie is a woman of adventure, but when the muse epic poetry came alive within her, her life was never the same. To escape the effects of what her muse does to her she moved across the country and took a job as a civilian psychologist for the Navy while leading her sister muses in their quest to reopen the Theatre of the Muses. She is determined to stay single and made a pact to remain dateless and single until the theatre was completed. However, she never counted on meeting Hunter Armstrong, a Navy Seal, who is determined to break down her barriers and do his best to protect her from the evil at hand.

The Story

The story picked up from where book one left off. The threat to the muses is not over. Instead of weakening, it intensified. The Order of the Titans are determined to put an end the inspiration of this generation, that means killing the muses, and Callie is on their radar.

The story began on a strong note and maintained that pace to the end. We learn more about The Order of the Titans. Based on their actions, I would say they are fanatics, which makes them deadly. However, I found them to be inefficient in their quest to kill the muses.

The theme that intrigued me most about this series was how Greek mythology was incorporated with present day events. The intensity of the action scenes kept me glued to the pages. My eagerness to discover how the events would unfold kept me turning the pages.

I loved how the romance unfolded. Callie and Hunters’ connection was instantaneous, which I expected due to the legend surrounding the guardian and his muse. However, the romance developed at a pace that was befitting the characters. I appreciated their attempts at getting to know each other before rushing into the carnal aspect of their relationship.

There was a particular scene which I found emotional. Reading that scene made me feel sad but placed a smile on my face.

The Characters
Character development was well executed. Callie’s past is riddled with secrets and as a result, she is scared to get close to Hunter. She believes she would cause heartbreak for any man she gets close to and so getting involved with Hunter was out of the question.

Hunter is a troubled soul. He joined the military to help his family. However, his duty to his country prevented him from sharing in important events in their lives. Added to that, he is struggling with the guilt of leaving behind a team member during his last deployment. Meeting Callie would bring changes to his life in ways he never anticipated.

I loved Callie and Hunter together. He helped her to move past her fears and seize her destiny. With Hunter, she learnt she need not fear who she had become. She helped him to see that he need not feel guilty about his family or his friend.

Conclusion/Recommendation
I thought this was a great addition to the series. I can’t wait to see what next the author has in store for this series.

review 2017-08-19 14:30
I Wrote This For You: 2007 - 2017 !!!
I Wrote This For You - Iain S. Thomas,Jon Ellis

First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Sitting here for the last few minutes, trying to figure out how to best put into words how much I loved this book.

Summary: I need you to understand something. Ten years ago, I started writing this for you. I wrote it for you and only you. Since then, millions of other people have read it, but none have understood it the way you understand it. I set out to find you a long time ago and today, I'm so glad I finally have. Thank you for reading these words.

I Wrote This For You is a collaborative photography and prose project. (Almost) every day, the photographer sends the writer a new photograph from wherever he is in the world. The writer creates a poem or short piece of prose inspired by the photograph and focused on whoever might be reading the work, or "you." The writer and the photographer have never met.

This book, the collection of photographs and poems, is just too beautiful for words. So many of these poems tugged on every one of my heartstrings, made me feel all the things and made me really think. I love this. I seriously don't know how people can do that, make you feel all the things with just a few lines.

I highlightes so many of these poems that I wanna re-read whenever I need them. But also, overall, this is one of those books, that I wanna re-read a few times as a whole, cause it's so beautiful.

review 2017-08-09 03:16
Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems
Edgar Allan Poe: Complete tales and poems - Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe is best known for his dark and psychological poems and short stories that have had an influence not only American literature throughout the world not only in literature but television and film.  Yet while a number of Poe’s work has stood the test of time and made a large impression, a lot more expose stereotypical tropes and themes that repeat so much that they lose impact to the reader.

Before I go through the problems I have with Poe, I’m going to spend a little time praising his better pieces.  “The Raven” is obviously the best known of Poe’s poetry and arguably his best, even though you’ve might have read it or heard it read before just reading it again makes you appreciate it before.  The three Auguste Dupin short stories, the precursors to the detective genre, are wonderful reads in which Poe’s deductive reason is used well in written form to create fascinating mysteries and solutions.  Although I could go on, the last story I will mention is “The Cask of Amontillado” which is a fantastic revenge story in which the narrator has no qualms with it afterwards.

Unfortunately this unrepentant narrator in “Amontillado” is unfortunately the exception to Poe’s trope of the narrator going crazy with guilt and admitting his crime which is featured in many stories Poe wrote.  Along with a young woman always dying and premature burials, Poe’s writing is fraught with these tropes that after a while exhaust the reader with the almost predictable way a trope takes over a particular story to end with the same way.  While these trope takeovers are discouraging, the tendency of Poe to begin a short story with a philosophical discourse only for the narrator to suddenly go off on a tangent (usually on a murder he committed) that had nothing to do with the discourse at the beginning.  Frankly these literary quirks, or crutches, that Poe used throughout numerous compositions get tiresome while reading the entirety of Poe’s work and make one question his supposed literary greatness.

If you a true Poe fan, this complete collection of his tales and poems are for you.  However, if you are someone who wants the best of Poe then avoid this complete collection and find a smaller collection that gives his best.

review 2017-08-06 13:00
Woman Much Missed
Woman Much Missed (Little Black Classics #14) - Thomas Hardy

I'm not very experienced in reading poetry. I can say I like it, but always is small portions. Woman Much Missed collects poems Thomas Hardy wrote after losing his wife in 1912. Therefore, they are all dark in sadness, but beautifully so as Hardy struggles with his loss. There was a lot of symbolism there that I quite liked, but after awhile it was rather heavy and I am wondering if it really is a representative sample of his writing (as it was all inspired by one tragic event).

Little Black Classics ~ #14