logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Poetry
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-11 06:08
Post-Millennium Rhapsody - J. Andrew Schrecker

Opens with a long-ish poem that seems to be in reaction to current events. Followed by a short story that evokes pretty nostalgia and a few dozen shorter poems that were written earlier. A little all over the place as a collection, but plenty of good material. Vivid imagery and some rather surreal tangents.

review 2018-11-11 06:02
Insomniacs, We - J. Andrew Schrecker

Lots of rich imagery. Plenty of social commentary too, but the writing is best when focused on more intimate moments.

review 2018-10-29 15:42
Black Thread: “Birthday Letters” by Ted Hughes
Birthday Letters - Ted Hughes

(Original Review, 2002)

Hughes acknowledged he repressed his own feelings for many years after Plath’s suicide. The poems he wrote before his death, “Birthday Letters”, were an outpouring of these feelings about his love for Plath. It was a top seller. If Hughes had published them as a younger man it would have helped his development as a great poet, but due to the repression, it did him untold harm, so he falls short of being a great poet. Plath was an extremely talented artist, writing both novels, children’s books, doing pictures. She wrote two main collections of poems, “Colossus”, where she writes very tight, word perfect poems, but she hasn’t found her true voice.

If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

review 2018-10-26 16:48
Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions
Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions (Barnes & Noble Classics) - Karen Karbiener,Walt Whitman

Leaves of Grass: First and “Death-Bed” Editions contains best known work of American poet Walt Whitman as well as additional poems that he published before his breakthrough work and that he didn’t include in his final publication.  Containing hundreds of poems from the “father of free verse”, the reader gets a essentially a full view of Whitman’s career from beginning to end.  In additional each new section of the book has an introduction by Dr. Karen Karbiener who also wrote the Notes at the end of the book giving the reader a better understanding of the essence surrounding Whitman’s work.  Though many Whitman loves will enjoy this book, for some like myself this turned out to be too much of something that it turns out I didn’t like after all.

review 2018-10-19 03:41
Open Your Mouth Like a Bell
Open Your Mouth Like a Bell - Mindy Nettifee

Mindy Nettifee won my heart years ago with her collection Rise of the Trust Fall, and she has yet to disappoint me since. Insightful, lyrical, and straight from the heart Nettifee's verse hits me right between the eyes and in the blood. Filled with several poems written surrounding the 2016 election there is a political core here that resonates strongly with me. I am so very thankful for her voice.