logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Poetry
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-01 08:43
Dear Girl
Dear Girl - Aija Mayrock

I wrote to find the answers,
instead
I found myself.

Dear girl is a collection of short poems on female empowerment by a young new poet. This is her first collection, and as such it is dealing with very urgent and important matters. It is a part of a stream of feminist poetry for girls, which I can only applaud. However, the poems were rather simple at times and I thought they could have been better if they had been a bit more subtle at times. Part of poetry for me is not only the message but also the beautiful phrasing of things, and the latter was a bit missing in some of poems.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2020-04-05 10:44
Trivia, or The Art of Walking The Streets of London
Trivia or the Art of Walking the Streets of London (1922) - John Gay,William H. Williams

Two stars only, despite the fact that the subject is London and I would really like to go there this summer but with Corona, it is unsure whether this will be possible!

To me, this felt like John Gay wanted to write an epic tale about, walking through London. There is loads of references to Greek Mythology and a lot of places in London are mentioned, but it is all rather random. Besides, the rhyming scheme felt forced, and although I am sure it is not easy to do, it did not feel right.

Not my style.

~Little Black Classics #107~

review 2020-03-31 08:21
O Frabjous Day!
O Frabjous Day! - Lewis Carroll

I am not overly familiar with Lewis Carroll's work since I never liked Alice in Wonderland too much (the movies, never read the books). His poetry was completely new to me, but after I recently read Edward Lear's nonsense poetry (which was being compared as similar to Lewis Carroll) I was not looking forward to reading O Frabjous Day!. But, every week a Little Black Classics means reading one every week, so here we are.

My expectations were really low for this one, but I found it made at least way more sense than the Lear poems. Some of them still didn't resonance with me at all. But the hunting of the Snark was kind of nice, even though the rhyming was very nursery rhyme-y.

~Little Black Classics #106~

review 2020-03-30 08:28
One Hundred and Fifty-Two Days
One Hundred and Fifty-Two Days - Giles Paley-Phillips

This was a beautiful but strange novel told in verse about a boy who cannot be with his terminally sick mother because he himself is struggling with a very nasty bout of pneumonia.

For me it was a bit of a surprise this was in verse, since I expected a normal novel. However, I do think that it allowed to convey the story well. There are a lot of short poems in there, and while some of them would work out of the context of this novel, most really fill a role in this particular story. So, it did take me some time to get used to it, but after a while I enjoyed reading it. The utter sadness of the story came across as well as the little signs of positiveness near the end.

A good read.

review 2020-03-21 16:22
Break Your Glass Slippers
Break Your Glass Slippers - Amanda Lovelace

I’m not an experienced poetry reader but this year I’m trying to branch out towards other genres, and the theme of Break your glass slippers resonated with me, so I wanted to give it a try. The message of female empowerment is great and it comes across strongly.

I also really liked the aesthetic of the book. Some nice drawings and interesting page settings. The lack of capitals for me took some getting used to. The story of Cinderella is taking as the base of the poems, which had a modern style where everything is discussed directly, which I quite liked.

I guess this was my favorite one:

there is nothing