logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Pre-Reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 08:00
The Stravinski Intrigue
The Stravinsky Intrigue (Fugue & Fable) - Darin Kennedy

I read The Mussorgski Riddle some time ago, and I enjoyed its unique style and story, so I was looking forward to The Stravinsky Intrigue although I had to admit that the details from the first book had become a bit fuzzy and I'm not really acquainted with the ballets from Stravinsky that play a major role in this book.

At times I was a little bit disappointed with The Stravinsky Intrigue. While the story resembled The Mussorgski Riddle, there were some things that annoyed me (that I don't recall from the first book). There are many coincidences, and Mira jumps into danger at almost any possibility. The rest of the time she's defending her psychic-ship in a condescending manner which I disliked. Also, the story seemed rather finished at the ending, but since I know there's a third novel coming, probably everything will be resolved (taking any suspense there was about the main characters).

What I did like, as in the first novel, was all the music. It is a nice introduction to the music, and I would certainly recommend to listen to it while reading. I enjoyed that a lot. The story is also moving forward rather quickly, and there's a mystery to be solved (before it's too late).

Not as good as the first one, but I'm still curious as to how it's going to end.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-04-23 08:07
The Killer On The Wall
The Killer On The Wall - Emma Kavanagh

It began with the bodies. Indeed it did. The opening of the this new detective story from Emma Kavanagh starts thrilling with the discovery of multiple bodies neatly positioned against Hadrian’s Wall. It’s meant to shock the reader right into the story, but I’ve to admit, that I actually had a hard time getting into it, because after its great opening it slowed down quite a lot.

This story is set twenty years after the events described in the opening chapter. It mainly focuses on the effects it has had on the small community it took place in. Everyone knew the killer, but also the victims. It’s twenty years later and people seem finally ready to leave the past behind and move on. That is, until a new body appears, right against Hadrian’s Wall.

A big part of this story stands or falls with Isla Bell, who did not only discover the first bodies, is the daughter of the police officer who arrested the original killer but also is now the renowned forensic psychologist who’s talking to serial killers and looking at their MRIs. On top of that she’s also married to the brother of one of the victims who himself is the only survivor of the murderer. I very much doubt that given her connections to the case, she would have been allowed to visit him for her study, but either way, that is exactly what happens. The other main character is a young police officer who’s trying to prove her worth, while the older police officers try their best to ignore this.

For some reason, I didn’t connect to the characters. I could feel the uneasiness of the village and its inhabitants, but the main characters, and the people immediately surrounding them somehow slightly annoyed me. The mystery in itself was not enough to fully compensate for this. Still an okay read, but nothing special for me.

review 2017-04-18 08:00
If I'm Found
If I'm Found (If I Run Series) - Terri Blackstock

Casey Cox is still on the run. She's blown her cover, and will need to start again. Dylan is still looking for her, or is he?

I liked this book less than If I Run, when I'm honest. I felt a bit like the story was stretched out too much and it should have just been one book. Also, If I'm Found just follows the same story as If I'm Run. There's another case which Casey really feels she just has to solve even though at this point she knows she's not just a wanted criminal but also that her life is in immediate danger. Besides, I got the feeling this book was much more preachy than the previous one, and I never like it when something gets pushed at me.

It was still a quick read, with enough suspense to keep it going. But I was slightly disappointed.

review 2017-04-15 08:00
Mercury In Retrograde
Mercury in Retrograde - Merethe Walther

One lesson to be learned from Mercury in Retrograde: If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Aralyn, just released from the galaxy's worst prison, gets an offer she can't resist. One more job as a smuggler and she will be able to retire. That is, if the job won't retire her first...

Mercury in Retrograde was an okay book. It had a bit of everything in it, which was probably also why I couldn't connect to the story as much as I'd liked. The characters are just too busy running from one thing to another, there's no time for any development. Even from Aralyn subjective POV it is immediately clear who will be the good guys. I've complained at length before about throwing everything in a book instead of really making one thing good in a book, so I will resist the urge to do it here. It got me out of my flow though, and when they were on the run for the nth time, I admit I started looking how much of the book was left and how long it would take me to read it.

I think it had more potential, what with the prison planet and the world in general. But quite a bit of it seemed as the surroundings for the romance plot, unfortunately. I'd expected a bit more.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-04-14 08:00
The Tablet Of Destinies
Lady Mechanika Volume 2: The Tablet of Destinies - Mike Garcia,Ben M. Chen

This second volume was even better than the first! The artwork, as I'd come to expect after the first volume, was still great. It is amazing and really one of the best things about this comic. I liked this story better than the first, even though it is not that original (typical ancient treasure kind of thing). Still it was a pleasure to read. There is still a lot of text on some pages, but I had the feeling it was slightly less this time. Lady Mechanika makes a really nice lead in this steampunk comic.

Looking forward to more!