logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Pre-Reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-21 08:00
Kasper Mützenmacher's Cursed Hat
Kasper Mützenmacher's Cursed Hat (Life Indigo Book 1) - Keith R. Fentonmiller

I’m not sure how to classify Kasper Mützenmacher’s Cursed Hat, it is at the same time so many different things. Based on the title, one would guess a fantasy novel about the ‘cursed hat’ which is also a teleportation device. Based on the cover, a second world war novel about Nazi Germany. But in the end, it was more than even a combination of those two.

Spanning most of the lifetime of Kasper Mützenmacher, the story for me fell apart to several distinct pieces. First there is Kasper and Isana, then Kasper as a single father (with Rosamund), then America. They all felt like really different pieces for most of the time. I liked the story best when they were still in Germany, the American part felt rushed, with certain things that just happened so quick that it didn’t feel synchronised with the rest of the story (although some of it is explained through the -plot convenient-  curse).

While I enjoyed the book, and am certainly curious towards the rest of series (not in the least because I’m wondering what it will be about as this seemed a rather closed story), there were some things I didn’t like. One was the ending, it was rather absurd and I didn’t think it gave a good closure to the Klaus plot. Another was the curse placed upon the Lux women, because I didn’t get why they would have to be cursed as well. Seemed Apollo sure liked to curse families until eternity…

This book is probably quite different from the rest you’ve read this year. Would recommend to those who like to read something else for a change.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-03-20 08:00
The Twilight Zone: Shadow And Substance
Twilight Zone: Shadow & Substance - Mark Rahner,Tom Peyer,John Layman

I haven't seen Twilight Zone, so that might be one of the reasons why I believed this comic to be so confusing, and frankly not very good.

I didn't like the story, and most of it was so weird, that about halfway through, I just lost interest. It was really not for me, but perhaps there are others who will get what I assume are references or inside jokes and will appreciate it a lot more than I did.

It just wasn't for me.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-03-19 09:22
The Inkblots
The Inkblots: Hermann Rorschach, His Iconic Test, and The Power of Seeing - Damion Searls

This title immediately interested me, even though I've always been skeptical about the Rorschach test. I've however never taken one, and I hold a degree in neither psychiatry nor psychology. But I'm a scientist, so the parts where Rorschach is optimizing his test (stating he needs many more subjects both healthy and diseases, blind interpretation of tests and a standardized form of scoring good and bad answers) were among my favorites, as it seemed quite far ahead of his time.

The book however, is more of a dual biography of Rorschach but especially his test. I liked the first part (also see above) which focused on Rorschach as he's developing his test. After his untimely death in the 1920s (which is only halfway through the book) the focus changes to what happened to the test afterwards.

This latter part had great trouble to hold my interest. It seemed to contain a series of always new people quarreling about who is the new Rorschach. It is here that the test starts to falter in the hands of people who all want to prove themselves (some trying to standardize it but resulting in over diagnosis of most everyone), although I was quite shocked to find out it can be used as evidence in court (since it is not an unquestioned test). This part is also filled with quite a lot of other test and terms from personality testing, not all of it is explained well enough that it is not confusing.

All in all, I really enjoyed the biography of Rorschach, I didn't quite like the one about his test as much.

Thanks to Blogging for Books and Edelweiss for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-03-18 08:00
Bob's Burgers: Well Done
Bob's Burgers: Well Done - Loren Bouchard,Ben Dickerson,Jeff Drake,Rachel Hastings

I have a confession to make: I STILL haven't watched the tv show. I know, it's bad. Ever since I once got a single issue of the Bob's Burgers comics I've been told (and also I've really been meaning) to watch the series as I've enjoyed the comics.

I've heard that if you love the series, you will also love the comics. I can add to that: even if you haven't seen the series, you can still have a lot of fun with the comics. It contains sort of constant parts (like Tina's Erotic Friend Fiction and Gene's Musicals) together with some more random parts.

Looking forward to the next one!

review 2017-03-16 08:00
Brother's Ruin
Brother's Ruin - Emma Newman

Brother's Ruin was a wonderful short book and a great start to the Industrial Magic series, which kept myself asking only one thing: Where/When can I get the next one? and Is it going to be a full length book? (Okay, these are in fact multiple things but certainly show my enthusiasm).

It had everything in it to make it a very nice read for me. Set in a Victorian England with a Royal Society which enlists everyone with magical abilities, I knew from the start I was going to like it. The Gunns have fallen on some hard times, as a good price is paid for a talented mage, their worries seem to be over when their son Ben seems to develop magical abilities. He's eager to try out, but what he doesn't know is that he's not the mage, his sister is, and she's been hiding it for years.

I was surprised at how much story fitted in the limited amount of pages this book has. Still, I would have loved to see it as a full length novel. The scene was set nicely, and you can see Charlotte struggling between the desire to keep herself safe (and her life predictable) and helping her family. I'm extremely looking forward to the next novel. I would certainly recommend it.