logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Racing
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-04 02:07
Fast
Buckle Up - Karen Botha

This book is actually a complete series of previous Buckle Up series books #1-8.  This series is being re published as the Commitment series book one, all in this one complete novel.  More books for this series to come.

Kyle comes to work and meets his new team.  He has worked his way up to the mechanic on a real racing team.  The driver is the famous playboy, Elliott.  The attraction is immediate, but he cannot assume it is mutual.

Elliott invites his new mechanic to get to know him further.  He lets him know he is interested and attracted and it is mutual.  He wants to get to know him and see where this goes.  If only there can be trust between them too.

This book has a very fast pace.  Like the characters inside, it moves along quickly.  The characters do seem to be meant to be.  I am looking forward to reading the next Commitment series installation.  I give this story a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in return for an honest review only.

review 2018-04-11 02:12
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein,Christopher Welch,Christopher Evan Welch
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Oh my heart! There is just something about books about dogs that gives them the ability to touch on every single one of my emotions. I am going to let you in on a little secret. I love dogs. A lot. I like my three dogs more than I like most people and would love a chance to spend one moment in their heads so this story really appealed to me on every level. I loved this book when I read it years ago and I loved it just as much when I listened to the audio for a re-read. It was a lot of fun to spend a few hours in Enzo's mind.

I was really kind of surprised by how much of the book I actually remembered from my initial read years ago but it seems that this story had really stayed with me over the years. I loved Enzo's voice. Did he sound like a dog all of the time? Probably not. I mean I think if I were to hear one of my dog's internal monologues there would be a lot of requests for snacks and ball playing and not a lot else. Who knows maybe I am wrong and my dogs are pondering the meaning of life but I honestly doubt it. Enzo is a bit of a philosopher and hopes to eventually get his chance as a human. Nothing really gets past Enzo and he seems to figure what is going on in his house before the humans do.

This isn't just a book about a dog. It is really a book about a family that is told by the dog. Denny is Enzo's human and he has some really high points in the book and some really low one. With everything that Denny has to deal with in this book, it is amazing that he is able to stay so positive through it all. The one constant in the story is the bond between these two. We get to see Denny adopt Enzo as a puppy and then go through a lot of milestones together.

This was the first time that I have listened to Christopher Evan Welch narrate a book and I thought he did a great job with this one. This was a rather emotional story at times and I thought that he really was able to pack a lot of feeling into his reading. He used a very pleasant reading voice and read the story with perfect pacing. I would definitely listen to his work again in the future.

I would recommend this book to others. I probably felt just about every emotion while listening to this one. The only part of the book that I wasn't a huge fan of was the epilogue because it was just a little too much for me and didn't feel necessary. I do love the book and will probably read it again in a few years.

Initial Thoughts
Oh my heart. This was a re-read for me and I think it might have broken my heart just a little bit more this time around. I may bump my rating up to 5 stars after I have some time to fully process everything. I actually remember more of the story than I thought I did. This isn't just a story about a dog. This is a story about a man and his family told from the dog's point of view. There were people that I hated in this story and others that I loved. I thought that the narrator did a terrific job with this story.

Book source: Audible purchase

review 2017-10-28 18:17
There's late and then there's...I might have gotten lost along the way...
Racing for the Sun - Russo Nick,Amy Lane

I have to admit this was one Amy Lane book that for whatever reason just never really caught my eye until I read the second book in her  series "Fish Out of Water" and Jackson and Ellery pay Sonny and Ace a visit in search of some information and now I'm interested..and even then there's been a few side trips along the way before I truly reached my destination...but I'm here at last and...

I soon discovered that the quickest way to truly reach my destination, by that I mean get into this story, of course, is via audio book and when I saw that it was narrated by Nick J. Russo well problem solved since he is absolutely one of my favorite narrators when it comes to audio books... so audio book purchased and destination reached.

I loved this story. Yes there were some questionable moments, a f*k-ton of angst and at times...well lets just say that the hinges on Sonny's door are definitely coming loose and the fact that it's Ace who keeps him on any kind of an even keel is abundantly clear as is the fact that there are really no limits on what Ace will do to protect Sonny.

Would this kind of relationship work for me in the real world? Hell NO!!! But, in the world that Ms. Lane has created I was so on board with Sonny and Ace...just think of me and the middle-aged lady sitting front and center in their cheering section.

Including this one I've listened to 22 audio books narrated by Nick J. Russo and I've enjoyed the hell out of his performances on every one of them and more than once on most of them, but I have to say I think this is going to be one of my favorites. He totally nailed the voices for both of the MCs but especially Ace.

Ok, so I'm keeping it short and sweet today because honestly there's already a lot of good reviews out there for this one both the e-book and the audio...I was definitely more than a little late to the party when it came to this book. But 'Better late than never' as the saying goes and I'm so behind on my TBR list, I know I'm never going to get caught up...but a girls gotta' try, right?

review 2017-07-07 07:40
Only time
#Blur - Cambria Hebert

This book is # 4, in the Gearshark series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this amazing series in order.

Dylan AKA Arrow has had nothing but heartache until recently.  Now he has to make a decision about his future.  He does not want to bring in more pain to those he loves, so he has put off stating his own wants.

Jason AKA Hopper is attracted to Arrow.  Everytime they are in the same room, it hums with electricity.  Before they get burned, can they choose to make a future?

This was a  bittersweet story.  So much pain.  So many things broken.  Well written, and full of sparks flying.  I loved the honesty of the characters and how they sync so well.  This is really a great addition to the Gearshark series.  I give this book a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2017-05-15 17:50
The Other Side of Horse Racing - Philip Nork

The Other Side of Horse Racing by Philip Nork
Enjoy learning about horses and have yet to ride one but want to learn more about them.
Enjoy the Derby and other races in May but more about finding out about the people who train them and ride them.
Gambling is an escape and ends up being an addiction.  Bobby Tucker grew up with no father, those he loved had died. It's best to just go on by himself he thinks.
Love that it explains all the terms about betting and place the horse comes up at the end of the race.
Strikes up friendships with some ladies and pops. Different track where the horses run got him unnerved and things just aren't right...
Loved hearing all the stats, percentage wise about the different tracks and horses.  Wind and drafting totally makes sense!
Word gets around among the teens and they use him for his winning bets.
Time goes on and things go horribly wrong on all counts. After graduation he goes with his father to live in FL. He hopes to remake himself and be more outgoing.
He gets a job and once again you wonder if he's done with gambling.
Tough love sets in and you hope he will wake up from his nightmare....Love the opportunity that is offered.
Lots of twists throughout this book, left you guessing what could happen next.
Received this copy from the author and this is my honest review.