logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Readathon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-12 04:11
Two kids must save the world...
The Doom Machine - Mark Teague,Scholastic Inc.

Skreeps - 9 ft. tall alien spiders from the planet Skreepia. They land on Earth to obtain a "special item" from the ooman bings. They capture Jack, his Uncle Bud, Isadora, her mother (a scientist), and the town cop and his son. Uncle Bud has created a device that looks like a refrigerator but has the ability to create holes in space & time. The Skreeps want it so they can take over more planets, including Earth.

This story is aimed at kids ages 9-12. It is a bit scary because the Skreeps are huge spiders (and well...yuck). The Skreeps fight each other constantly and threaten the kids and their families. Isadora is a great character, smart, logical, and willing to do whatever it takes to test a theory. Jack is a juvenile delinquent who can fix any car, and it turns out spaceships too. I liked the way the two of them worked together and/or fought throughout the story. Isadora is always smarter and braver, but Jack is clever in his own ways.

There is a lot of talk about time and moving outside time and always being somewhere. It gets a little confusing, but I don't think the author expected his audience to understand it, just accept it. Some kids are good at that.

The Skreeps are constantly trying to prove themselves better than each other, and the constant bickering leads to some funny scenes. The story includes an evil queen, rebels, heroes, pirates, prophets and prophecies, surprising monsters, and enough twists and turns to delight any sci-fi fan.

Teague is very creative and has written a wonderfully entertaining story. The giant spiders (Skreeps) are seriously creepy at times and may be too much for sensitive readers.

review 2017-05-11 04:17
Review of "Six of Crows" (The Dregs, #1)
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Well, technically the ebook edition I read came to the end of the book at 77% (sneak peeks of other books, acknowledgements, etc.).

Helluva ride and a great book.  Lots of dire straits and insurmountable odds.  But with characters that get to you.

Although, I'm not sure if I really should have read the Grisha trilogy first.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2017-05-01 15:28
Great Follow up to American Gods
Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

I really don't have much more to add than other reviews about this book. This was really good I found and I thought it was a nice follow-up to American Gods.

"Anansi Boys" follows the son of Mr. Nancy who most should remember from American Gods. Mr. Nancy's son, Fat Charlie, grew up with a father who liked to make jokes and who was the one who named him Fat Charlie. Eventually, Mr. Nancy leaves his young family, and Fat Charlie and his mother relocate to England. When Fat Charlie prepares to get married to his fiancee, Rosie, Rosie demands that he does what it takes to find his father and invite him to the wedding. Fat Charlie finds out that his father is dead from an old neighbor of his in Florida. That leads Fat Charlie to travel back to America and to find out about a brother he never knew he had.

I honestly laughed through most of this book. Unlike with "American Gods" this was a more playful book. It reminded me a lot of "Good Omens" actually with an unseen narrator here and there spelling things out to you while you watch how everyone fumbles around almost meeting their end every five seconds.

Poor Fat Charlie ends up in more and more trouble after he mistakenly invites a brother he didn't know he had into his life. And from there the plot at times gets a bit shaky, but I think Gaiman did a good job with it. We follow Fat Charlie, his brother, and two love interests (Rosie and Daisy) along with Rosie's mother (who is terrible) and the man that Fat Charlie works for. I honestly at first didn't think this would all work together, but it did.

I liked the writing and I loved reading the stories about Anansi and what tricks he got up to. Also it seems like even in the stories about Anansi that he was kind of an ass to his family.

The ending was sweet and also hilarious. I don't want to give any spoilers. But I think Charlie (he eventually loses "Fat") definitely got the better end of the deal that was going on.

review 2017-04-30 14:59
Out of this World
Out Of This World - Jill Shalvis

I shouldn't be surprised, there are a handful of JS's earlier books that just aren't that great. This is one of them. Rachel inherits a B&B in Alaska. She lives in LA and decided to fly out. I almost put this down in the first chapter. Rachel was annoying and an idiot. I thought it would get better. Hint, it doesn't!
It's told in first person (which I don't have an issue with), alternating between Kellan and Rachel (which wasn't needed). It starts out contemporary switching to paranormal after Rachel gets hit by lightening and develops abilities. Make up your mind what you want to be! I wanted to throw book across the room (and I probably should have, it's a discarded library book I bought for 50 cents at the library sale). It would have been cathartic.
I should have DNF'd this. Skip it and don't waste your time. Her newer stuff is so much better. (Lucky Harbor I'm looking at you!).

Read this for the Railroad #3 square (travel across the US).  It would work for Railroad #14 too (suitcases on cover).  But using it for #3.

review 2017-04-30 14:49
Beautiful Danger
Beautiful Danger (In the Company of Vampires #1) - Michele Hauf

Domingos, a vampire, is kidnapped and tortured by a werewolf pack. He vows revenge and is in the process of exacting it when he meets Lark. Lark is a vampire hunter, hired by the werewolf pack to track and kill Domingos.
Both have not-so-great backstories. I liked that both were vulnerable. Domingos hears music and difficulty seeing when exposed to UV light. I really didn't understand how the Order of the Stake (nice name, huh?) didn't have a problem killing vampires, but let the werewolf pack get away so much before doing anything about it.
Decent and different.