logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Reading
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-30 18:24
What a way to finish!
Devour - Jocelynn Drake,Rinda Elliott

'Shiver' gave us Lucas and Andrei

'Shatter' gave us Snow and Jude

'Torch' gave us Rowe and Noah

and now with release of 'Devour' finally we get 'Ian and Hollis' the final pairing and the final story in this unique group of men.

I started this adventure with my BR besties, Christelle and Josy and along the way we've happily had Ariana and Simone join in whenever they could. It's been a blast ladies and I honestly wouldn't have wanted to do this without you all. I know we still have the side stories and the spin-off series, Ward Investigations. But for these four men, the original group it's the end and what a hella' amazing ending it was.

Throughout this series we've spend time with all of these men. We've seen them at their best and their worst. We've laughed, cried and raged with them. We mourned when Rowe's beautiful wife, Mel was taken from him. We've all shared a solid hatred of the man known as Jagger. Many faces have been put to the eight men in this series but, and I admit I may have missed it, no one has put a face to the man we all hate...until now. It was during this final story that I was totally slapped in the face with who this man's physical description brought to my mind and I cast Armande Asante into the role for our buddy read...

description

I just felt it was only fair that we have a visual representation of someone who was so universally despised...RIP Jagger...we will miss you...NOT!!!

I could give a really long list of things I liked about this book or I could just be short, concise and to the point...EVERYTHING! I loved it all from start to finish this book just did it for me. We got to spend time with all 8 of these amazing men and it made sense they're family. They take care of each other and when one of them is in danger the others are there to protect him and in this case the threat was towards the group.

While everyone was in this story, 'Devour' was Ian's time to shine. It was the story that allowed Ian and Hollis to become a couple and equally as important it was Ian's chance to face his demons and put his past to rest. A past that left him troubled and filled with very real fears for his future and whether or not he would have one because his past was still out there stalking him and his friends in the form of Boris Jagger.

As this group of men continue their cat and mouse game with Jagger, Ian and Hollis get to know each other better and yes, I do mean this in every sense of the word including biblical and can I just add here...damn, these men are hot...smokin', sexy, fan myself hot!!! But best of all is the love and respect that Hollis has for Ian as he slowly discovers all that he has endured. I loved that he saw the strength in Ian. Not because he was a fighter but because he was a survivor. What Ian endured would have easily taken down a lesser man.

And on a closing note the ending of this book was superb...yeah, lets go with that one. I loved it. It was happy and I may have had a tear or two in my eye at one point but they were equal parts happy and sad.

I can't wait for the spin-off series. Hopefully there will be more of these amazing men and a whole bunch of new ones for us to get to know and enjoy...let the buddy reads live on.

review 2017-04-30 16:42
That cover! The Blurb! The book :/
Witches for Hire (Odd Jobs) - Sam Argent

I was really excited to say the least when I stumbled across this story the blurb sounded awesome and the cover...I mean seriously? Who doesn't want to read this book once they've read the blurb and seen that cover so on a promotional level this book nailed it because really that's what the blurb and the cover are...they're promotional materials meant to draw the reader in and gain their interest in the book and if I was giving stars for that this book would probably get at least 4 out of 5. But that's not what I'm giving stars for...nope, those two stars are for what comes after the cover and the blurb.

Sadly what came after the blurb for me was a bit confusing. 'Witches for Hire' is the first book in Sam Argent's series 'Odd Jobs' unfortunately for most of this book I felt like I'd been plunked into the middle of a series without the background info that often helps things make sense. As the story progressed I was given a fair bit of background that did help sort out much of my confusion but I would have really liked some of this info to have come sooner than it did.

'Witches for Hire' was a bit of a mixed bag for me because while there were things that I liked about it, there were also things that just didn't work for me and as much as I would like to go into more detail about what I didn't like, I don't feel that I can do this without divulging some pretty pertinent information in regards to the story's plot. So, I'm going to focus a little more on some of what worked for me.

One of the things that worked the best for me were the characters. I liked Jeremy. He was interesting and far more complex than he initially seemed. Many of the secondary characters were also rather interesting and what we were given of their background hinted at strong potential for their own stories...Simone, Witches for Hire's receptionist, a witch who is married to a werewolf and has no coven and also seems to be far more powerful than she lets on, Clive a knight from another realm who is the new owner of 'Witches for Hire' who is extremely powerful running out of realms he can go to. Clive's friends Mia and her husband, Raj, who run their own magical detective agency, also knights and seem to show up when they're least expected. The Amazon, Edarra, who works at 'Witches for Hire' and has some heroic deeds she needs to accomplish. Senator Ragsdale, Jeremy's father. Desmond the Great, Atlanta's star magician and someone with much stronger ties to Jeremy than most realize, council member Salvatore someone who wants much stronger ties to Jeremy.

It all sounds so intriguing and has the potential be one hella' good read but somewhere along the line the waters got muddied and things were oftentimes confusing with POVs jumped around and scene changes happening in such a way that I was left wondering if I was missing pages or paragraphs, at least, because I'd find myself going back and re-reading to try and figure out when and how I suddenly went from point 'A' to point 'E' and what happened to the stuff in between.

So in summary this wasn't so much a bad story as one that simply didn't work for me. There was strong potential and I did find the last 20 to 30% far more cohesive and interesting. Most of all I really wish that this had felt more like the first novel in a series with stronger background and world building rather than leaving me feeling like I was reading the third or fourth book in a series that needed to be read in order.

The result for me was that rather than enjoying what should have been a fun and interesting story, I was often left frustrated and disappointed. However, in spite of the potential for future stories I'm not really sure whether or not I'll continue, I definitely need to give that a lot of thought...but in truth...I doubt it, the again one never knows... never say never, right?

********************

An ARC of 'Witches for Hire' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-04-30 11:32
Slither - Edward Lee
Slither - Edward Lee

The island of Pritchards Key is home to plenty of wildlife including a new strain of worm as well as several groups of people who are all on the island for different reasons. The scientists, Nora and Loren, are there to find a specific worm for the National Geographic to photograph, there are redneck brothers who are on the island to harvest their pot plants and military personnel who are conducting deadly experiments.
As the worms begin infecting people on the island, all hell breaks loose as each group becomes desperate to find a way off the island to safety. Nora and Loren try to find out more about this new strain as well as why the military are running surveillance on them. What they find out could spell doom for civilisation.
This was a great 'B' movie type read that was a lot more subdued in content that some of Lee's other work such as his backwoods horror series. There is still plenty of cringe worthy scenes full of disgusting gore and sex but they don't even begin to touch on the depravity of say, Bighead. The only thing that slightly spoiled the story was the overload of science talk about worms which got a little boring to be honest. The ending was nicely done with a nice twist.
The characters were fairly well done, the good guys were realistic and flawed enough to be believable, the bad guys were pretty despicable and it was easy to cheer when things went pear shaped for them.
Great fun and a slightly tamer Lee read for the uninitiated.

review 2017-04-30 00:46
Just another day in Panopolis...
Where There's Fire - Cari Z.

'Where There's Fire' is the second installment of Cari Z's 'Panopolis' series and once again I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to enjoy the audiobook narrated by Nick J. Russo, who also narrated the first one and does an equally excellent job with this second installment.

This one picks up just a little while after where the first book left off, 6 months after to be precise. Eddie and Raul are trying to make a life together after Raul (aka the Mad Bombardier) has helped Eddie escape from prison along with several other villains. Eddie's new psychic powers are giving him migraines, they're constantly having to defend their turf against the villains who escaped along with Eddie, other than life is pretty good for our MCs. At least it is for a little while.

I totally enjoyed this story and all the twist and turns that it involved. Eddie and Raul are absolutely my favorite heroes ...villains...ever! In 'Where There's Fire' we journey with Eddie as he tries to establish himself as a villain and finds himself having to play the hero and rescue his boyfriend from yet another one of Panopolis's villains and it's not looking good for him but when the man he loves is at stake Eddie proves himself to be up for the task.

I loved this story and honestly I have to admit that while I'm anxious to read the third and final installment which is about Freight Train one of Panopolis's heroes who has been a secondary character in 'Where There's Smoke' and 'Where There's Fire'.  I'm probably going to wait for the audio version because this series has been such a treat to listen to on audio that quite honestly I'm having a hard time imagining myself enjoying it nearly as much as an e-book.

********************

An audiobook of 'Where There's Fire' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-04-29 23:50
I'm a little late to the party on this one...
In The Absence of Light - Adrienne Wilder

I've had this book floating around on my e-reader for a while now and I keep squirreling off to other things but when it came up in a conversation with my buddy read besties, Josy, Christelle and Simone. I didn't hesitate to say yes and I am so, so glad that we did this. Thanks ladies once again you made an amazing story so much better.

'In the Absence of Light' isn't just a romance or a love story. it's a story about loving someone who's different and what that means both to love them and be loved by them. Morgan is autistic and he's amazing. He probably shouldn't be as highly functional as he is but because he was raised by an amazing woman who refused to give up on him, he has never given up on himself.

Grant has moved to Durstrand in the hopes of living a quiet life for a few years before slipping away to some place with sandy beaches and warmer climes or at least that was the plan until he meets Morgan.

I was totally enchanted with Morgan from the beginning. He's open and honest and he sees the world in a way that others wouldn't even consider trying to look for. He's creative and fiercely independent and the moments that we spent seeing the world through Morgan's eyes were like small gifts the kind that touch your heart and warm you from the inside because of the impression it leaves on your soul.

i didn't warm to Grant quite as quickly but I did like him. I liked that he allowed himself to see Morgan. Not just the Morgan with the ticks who threw out thoughts and seemed to ramble random ideas into the world. Grant was able to see past that to the strong, intelligent, creative man who wanted him and was willing to share himself with Grant and show him what was hidden by the light.

'In the Absence of Light' shows us that it's not about who we love but that we love. When that person who adds color to our world and makes us see things in ways we never thought to before comes along we need to grab onto them and love them with all we've got and make them our home so that we can be theirs.

For some really awesome reviews on this book you should check these out...

In the Absence of Light - GR book page