logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Reading
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-24 00:51
Thank heavens for friends...
A Little Bit Like Love (South Haven Book 1) - Brooke Blaine

I have to admit I saw this one and I read the blurb saw some reviews and truthfully I was going to take a pass on it but then I kept seeing the reviews and some friends started rumblings about a buddy read and I checked it out again and again and I really thought about it...well then I got to wondering why aren't I reading this book? It's totally in my wheelhouse and the reviews look good and what the hell, right? Sign me up and that was all she wrote, boys and girls. I needed a buddy read and this one filled the bill to perfection.

'A Little Bit Like Love' was a lot like awesome. Lucas and Jackson first met when they both attended a private boys school. They started out as friends but after a few months it turned in to more. When circumstances force Jackson to leave without even so much as a good-bye, Lucas finds himself at a loss as to why and after the initial shock wears off. He gets on with his life becoming a well known and sought after local artist and sex god.

it's eight years later and Jackson's returned to the scene of the crime so to speak and through a total fluke he overhears a conversation that brings the name of the boy he left behind to his ears once again. He knows he shouldn't but his heart isn't going to be denied this time and he sets out to see for himself that Lucas has gotten over him and gone on with his life...or at least that's what he tells himself.

This book was simply awesome. I loved it and reading it with my buddy read besties Josy, Christelle and Simone only added to the awesomeness of it all. As always you ladies make every read a good one, but this one was definitely better than good and thank you for helping me break my Buddy Read dry spell. it's been way to long since we enjoyed a good book together and I'm looking forward to our next one...see you Friday.

I loved the emotional roller coaster ride that this one took us on. There was anger, rage, resentment, frustration...all kinds of frustration, passion, forgiveness, love, happiness and on and on. I have to admit I'm surprised I don't have a bit of an emotional hangover but this one worked. Sometimes it's good to go on those journeys that make us exercise our emotional empathy.

The other thing that really hooked me with this one was the secondary characters...Lucas's best friends Drew (and oh hell yeah, his story is next). Drew's a bit enigmatic and he's also tall and built and covered in tats and damn excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard, ok? and then there's Lucas's other friend...Sebastian or Bash as he's also known. Bash to me seemed to be his own force of nature...so yeah, you can bet I'm looking for his story too and then we have Sydney. She's Jackson's co-worker/friend/sorta' girlfriend/it's complicated and I won't even lie for a good part of this story I was so not a fan of Sydney but that definitely changed once we got to see Sydney and not just get bits and pieces of her. Sydney's awesome and I would so take her out drinking on girls night and last of all we have Jackson's father...or daddy dearest as I like to think of him...what can I say every book needs a villain.

'A Little Bit Like Love' is probably my biggest surprise read so far this year. I wasn't surprised that I liked it, but I was surprised by just how much I loved this book and yes, maybe that's due in part to the awesome company that I had while reading it, but mostly it was because this story just worked for me. It ticked all the boxes and rang all the right bells and I am so ready for book 2 or in the immortal words of Dwayne Johnson otherwise known as 'The Rock', back in the day..."Just bring it!"

review 2017-08-23 22:27
It's time for a little game of catch me if you can...murder style...
Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior) (Volume 2) - L.A. Witt,Cari Z.

Corliss and Ruffner somehow survived the events of 'Risky Behavior' but at what price? Detective Darren Corliss is barely holding himself together between the injuries he suffered in their last case, going back to work at a precinct that's not only less than friendly but views him and his partner Andreas Ruffner as villains for bringing down enough dirty cops and politicians to cause a staffing crisis at several precincts and city hall. Darren's also got a brother who's suffering from early onset Alzheimer's which has left him with his own fears about whether or not he'll share his brothers condition. Along with a lot of Darren's worries. Andreas has a few of his own but he seems to be holding it together a little better.

But both men would definitely agree that what they need is to get back to work...or at least that's what they thought until they were handed some cold cases...cold cases that at first glance only had one connection...the killer. However, once they start to find the connections it quickly becomes clear that there's a clock ticking. One that they have to beat if they want to stop another murder from happening.

The mystery here wasn't really the who did it, I actually figured that part out fairly quickly it was all about the how and why of things. While I really enjoyed the mystery, it was the relationship development between Darren and Andreas that happened in this book that I really loved about the most.

Admittedly there wasn't a lot of sex in this story and that's ok because there was a lot going on and honestly in real life chances are pretty good that there really wouldn't be much going on in the romance department between the serial killer case, Andreas's kids, Darren's brother, recovering from injuries and the abuse they're being exposed to from their fellow officers, if they'd been having sex like bunnies I'd have thought I was reading a fantasy story.

I found that the relationship growth was shown in the emotional exchanges and immediate unquestioning support that Darren and Andreas gave to each other...when Darren was there to help Andreas deal with his ex and her problems and I maybe melted a little over Darren's internal and sometimes external gushing about Andreas with his kids and there was Andreas's support of Darren as he dealt with his brother combined with their support of each other as partners at work...there was no hesitation or questioning of whether or not they had each other's backs it was just a done deal.

Book #1 Risky Behavior laid the ground work for this series and the relationship between these two men as they dealt with corruption and found their way together as partners both on and off duty and now with book #2 Suspicious Behavior we're given more action and a closer look at Darren and Andreas as they deal with life as a team both on a personal and professional level.

I was totally hooked on this series with the first book and this one has not changed that decision even slightly...except for the fact that if anything I'm even more anxious to get my hands on the next book. I just read the blurb and holy hell, it's going to be good...seriously good.

I love a good steamy romance story as much as the next person but what I love even more is a story with substance...characters with depth who grow, a plot that I can follow but that also challenges me and most of all one that leaves me wanting more. 'Suspicious Behavior' does all this and then some.

********************

An ARC of 'Suspicious Behavior' was graciously provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-08-23 18:52
Review: Lie, The Right Men Book #1 by Mayra Statham
LIE - Mayra Statham

Box office sensation, Marcus Wright is ready to take on the role of director. Romance author and single mom, Grace Rivera, is shocked when the sexiest man alive knocks on her door with the intent to bring her book to life.

He is willing to do anything to get what he wants, even use his charms on the beautiful, curvy woman standing in his way. Only it doesn't take long for the shy woman to unknowingly embed herself under his skin.

In a world where one plays make believe and the other writes it, will they determine everything between them is a LIE? Or will they be able to LIE in one another's arms when the truth comes out?

This was one of those quick fun and enjoyable reads.

Most of you know by now I’m not a fan of insta-love, but when in works it works and in some quick fun books I don’t mind it too much anyway.

I enjoyed the story, for the most part. There were a few minor things that bothered me but overall it was a good book that was funny, cute, and very steamy. While with a somewhat predicable storyline I still enjoyed it.

The characters… I enjoyed Maracus a little more than Grace. He just seemed to know better what he wanted, acted on that and was semi straight forward.

While Grace went a little back and forth. Like for instance in the beginning she is so mad at him and hates him , storms off and wants nothing more to do with him but like five minutes ends up getting hot and heavy in the elevator with him.  I would have liked a little more self-control from her and not just shut er brain off because there is a hot famous guy in front of her. But that aside it is still pretty good read.

The writing was good and easy to follow. I just wish it would have stayed with one POV.  We get dual which I like but I wish both would have been either first person POV or third person POV. Here we get Grace in first person and Marcus in third person.   But that is just a personal opinion and it really might not bother most readers and should not stop anyone form buying this book.

Overall fun read and I rate this book 3 ★

*I won an e-copy of this book in a giveaway. Thank you!*

Available NOW

Mayra Statham

Mayra Statham is a contemporary romance author. All her books to date can be read as standalones and do not have cliffhangers.

On her free time she loves reading and hanging out with her family and friends.

Links

Facebook *** Goodreads *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-lie-right-men-book-1-mayra-statham
review 2017-08-23 01:37
One last trip to the candy store...
Tart and Sweet (Candy Man) - Amy Lane

I loved reading this series from start to finish each story had something sweet and  unique to offer and this last book in the series was no exception. It was a 5 star read for me and thanks to Philip Alces, it was a 5 star audio experience.

So let's start with the original review...no changes there loved it, loved it, loved it and here the link to my original review to verify that...Tart and Sweet - Original Review

'Tart and Sweet' was my first listening experience with this narrator and I definitely appreciated it. I enjoyed the character voices as interpreted by this narrator and my basic list was ticked.

The voices gave me depth of emotion, they were expressive and unique to each character so that I knew who was speaking without being told.  I honestly felt like Mr. Alces was enjoying this story as much as I was and that's an important quality for me. I love it when it feels like the narrator's just a friend in the room telling me the story.

Most of the time when I'm listening to an audio book I'm also doing other things...cross-stitch, quilting, etc. but sometimes it's nice just to sit back and listen and it's when I'm enjoying a story as much as this one that I feel most inclined to do this. Just sitting back, relaxing, closing my eyes and letting things come to life. It's a really relaxing way to pass the time on a hot summer's afternoon.

********************

An audio book of 'Tart and Sweet' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-08-22 17:48
Mistress of Mellyn / Victoria Holt
Mistress of Mellyn - Victoria Holt

Mount Mellyn stood as proud and magnificent as she had envisioned...But what about its master--Connan TreMellyn? Was Martha Leigh's new employer as romantic as his name sounded? As she approached the sprawling mansion towering above the cliffs of Cornwall, an odd chill of apprehension overcame her. TreMellyn's young daugher, Alvean, proved as spoiled and difficult as the three governesses before Martha had discovered. But it was the girl's father whose cool, arrogant demeanor unleashed unfamiliar sensations and turmoil--even as whispers of past tragedy and present danger begin to insinuate themselves into Martha's life. Powerless against her growing desire for the enigmatic Connan, she is drawn deeper into family secrets--as passion overpowers reason, sending her head and heart spinning. But though evil lurks in the shadows, so does love--and the freedom to find a golden promise forever...

***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

After two misses, it was nice to score a hit. Apparently, I am an old-fashioned woman. I prefer a story with some mystery, some history, and some romance. Leave out the sex scenes and let’s have an actual plot, please.

Stereotypical as can be, Mistress of Mellyn gave me the usual Victoria Holt offering. An impoverished gentlewoman with no options except being a governess, a student with potential and problems, an attractive employer with an air of mystery, another man to distract our heroine a bit, plus another woman to get the jealous juices flowing.

Yes, I’ve read it all before, but yes I still enjoyed it.