logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Rebel-Belle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-11 00:00
Rebel Belle
Rebel Belle - Rachel Hawkins It's so weird to be giving a book 2 stars and yet knowing that you might one day, mayberead the next one.

This book tried way too hard to be some sort of tribute to BTVS and I don't know what else (X-men?), and didn't quite manage to pull it off.

There was no depth to the characters, they were so unremarkable that I sometimes had trouble knowing who was saying what if it wasn't explicitly pointed out to me because everyone's voices were so similar. Not even to the overachiever Main Character, Harper, who was supposed to entertain me with her funny commentary, wits, and badassery managed to stand out.

The humor wasn't great. I might have laughed a couple of times and not because of the many 'trying-way-too-hard' jokes inserted in the dialogue. (That bit about the lipstick at the beginning of the book? I almost dnf'd right there)

The "romance" was tropey to the max, which on its own is not bad, but the author abused the rivals-to-lovers trope (Not a spoiler because this is right there in the book's blurb) and it felt forced when MC Harper already had a perfectly nice boyfriend who couldn't be more sweet.

The bad guys who wanted to kill/turn/help the other MC (David) were ??? (This actually made no sense. They first wanted to kill David because of "X" and then all of a sudden, with little to no explanation they want to help David because of the same reason they wanted to kill him in the first place? What's up with that?

I don't know, this book was sort of a very predictable, over-simplistic and not that funny read with a plot that could give so much more than what it was.

BUT it was sort of entertaining and a super fast read and, again, I miiiiiiight read the second book...one day.

review 2016-08-13 04:16
Lady Renegades (Rebel Belle #3) by Rachel Hawkins
Lady Renegades: a Rebel Belle Novel - Rachel Hawkins

Whoa. What happened here?

We went from light, fun, fluffy, and humor in Rebel Belle to convenience, unexplained world building, multiple missed opportunities and relationship problems in Miss Mayhem to Lady Renegades.

Lady Renegades which is filled with more “separated lovers” angst, to a mindless and useless road trip, to even more useless world building to a completely convenient ending.

Harper just questions herself too much in these books, and while I understand the need for character development, I just didn’t see the point to what Harper was doing and why she was having multiple doubts about herself.

The side characters weren’t that interesting in this installment, so yay! Well, I mean, I like the whole girl power aspect in here. That Blythe, Harper, and Bee all were the ones meant to do something.

If it wasn’t the boredom that made me realize I didn’t even care or enjoy this installment it was this: I felt nothing for the ending. Not when the huge climax and aftermath happened. I didn’t care. Felt nothing.

I would recommend reading Rebel Belle and just stopping there. The first book doesn’t really end on a cliffhanger or anything so it’s not that bad.

review 2016-08-13 04:08
Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle #1) by Rachel Hawkins
Rebel Belle - Rachel Hawkins
“Paladin: an honorable knight; defender of a noble cause.”

“Laaaaaame,” I whispered. I much preferred superhero.

This book was definitely a lot of fun.

Rebel Belle is filled with the southern way of things at Harper Price’s small town called Pine Grove. Except that she becomes a Paladin at Homecoming Night after seeing her janitor die and killing her history teacher. Just the normal ;)

Although Harper is usually the kind of character I don’t like, aspects of her felt very real. I agreed with some of the difficulties Harper had in terms of actually accepting what it meant to be a Paladin, and I don’t blame her for being very hesitant or scared to accept the new responsibilities that she had.

The only thing that I had a problem with in this story was that at times it was annoying to read about Harper’s boyfriend problems. I really didn’t care that Ryan was this or that. I was hoping for more action instead of a huge buildup towards Cotillion.

Overall, a fast paced and fun read with a southern aspect. Definitely continuing on with the trilogy.

review 2016-05-01 18:03
Lady Renegades Book Review
Lady Renegades: a Rebel Belle Novel - Rachel Hawkins

I freaking love Rachel Hawkins and the Rebel Belle series. Okay, book two, Miss Mayhem wasn't fantastic. But, Lady Renegades totally makes up for it. Why this series will be near and dear to my heart for a long time? Its short, its funny, its very different from anything I have read before and it has a badass kicking young woman as the main lead. What's not to love?

David is gone. Harper is trying not to be devastated. But when Blythe shows up to kill her, because David sent her, Harper's summer is about to become one of oracles and adventures. Harper, Ryan and Bee have to save David from the powerful Oracle before he kills Harper or himself.

Harper is one of my favorite character and I have loved seeing her grow. And who doesn't love nerdy David? Sure, this series is far from perfect. But its just so much fun it makes me smile most of the way through.

I love the overall ending, a bit predictable? Yea, probably. But it left me with a cheesy grin on my face. And I really hope Hawkins has more books in store for us because I will absolutely be reading them.

review 2015-11-14 00:00
Rebel Belle
Rebel Belle - Rachel Hawkins I really liked this book. It had some twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. I could relate to Harper a lot except for the fact that I don't have "superpowers". I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. Can't wait to read the next book!