logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-18 15:46
What happens when the person who should be on the right side of the law turns out...
Fire and Flint - Andrew Grey,Greg Tremblay

to be the one who's breaking it.

When Pierre Ravelle is assigned to keep an eye on Judge Crawford because he's been receiving threats in the mail he quickly discovers that he'd much rather keep an eye on the judges clerk, Jordan Erichsohn.

Jordan just wants to stay under the radar. Nothing's more important to Jordan than finalizing his adoption of his young son, Jeremiah and while he doesn't want to sit by while his boss gets away with who knows what but he's pretty sure whatever's going on isn't legal. But he the one thing he knows for sure is that his boss has the power to keep this from happening.

As Pierre and Jordan work together to unravel the facts and find crucial evidence to prove what Judge Crawford is doing Pierre's feelings for Jordan and the young Jeremiah grow and as well as finding evidence against the judge, Pierre becomes determined to make sure that Jordan and Jeremiah not only stay together but that they see him as a part of his family too...one day.

I really enjoyed this story. I loved both Pierre and Jordan. Pierre was solid and reliable both things that Jordan needed in his life. Pierre was a calming force for Jordan. He may have worried about Jordan's situation but he also thought things through and was calm, rational and planned a course of action that not only got the job done but helped to protect the two people who he'd come to care so much about.

And then we have Jordan and he was this awesome, sweet guy that had this amazing heart and ultimately he stepped up and did what needed to be done despite the risk to himself and Jeremiah. I have to admit this really endeared this character to me. As a parent I understand that dilemma that can come from having to decide between doing what's right and what's going to keep your child safe...nothing's more important to me than the well being of my kids and I think most parents will tell you this, but sometimes in the long run what will keep our children safe and make the world a better place for others has a risk attached to it and choices aren't always as clear cut as we'd like them to be.

While the part of this story pertaining to the judge's illegal activities really wasn't very detailed or complex truthfully, I was ok with this. For the most part crimes of this nature are proven and tried based very largely on evidence and gathering this kind of evidence quite honestly can be a long, arduous and boring task...so truthfully I was glad to be spared the details on this.

'Fire and Flint' is a sweet, uncomplicated romance and I think for me it was just what I needed at the time. While Andrew Grey's stories don't tend to be long, complicated or convoluted stories and although stories like that can have their own merits, sometimes what's nice to read or in this case listen to is the type of story that's just sweet and simple and as a reader I can follow along without having to create a flow chart to keep track of who's who and what's what and just find myself lost in an enjoyable romance with a touch of mystery or intrigue to keep to add a little excitement.

I have to admit the icing on the cake for me with this one was that it was narrated by someone who is without a doubt one of my favorite audio narrators...Greg Tremblay. I'm not sure if I've got any glowing descriptives left unused when it comes to this narrator. Honestly he's one of maybe 3 or 4 narrators whose audio books I'll buy or ask for to review without having to listen to the audio sample. I have zero doubt as to the quality of what I'll be hearing when I see that Greg Tremblay's the narrator and for me that pretty much says it all as to how much I like and respect him as a narrator.

'Fire and Flint' is for me a perfect example of what I would call a 'summer read' it's interesting, with very likable characters an solid but not overly complicated plot and a very sweet and happy ending...summer reads, they're a good thing.

************************

An audio book of 'Fire and Flint' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-18 10:00
Recent Release Review! Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire #2) Deborah Cooke!
Kiss of Fury - Deborah Cooke

One act of passion can save the world...

Scientist Alexandra Madison was on the verge of unveiling an invention that would change the world. Then her partner was murdered, their lab was burned, and their prototype was destroyed. While Alex is in the hospital recovering from burns suffered in the fire, recurring dragon-haunted nightmares threaten to land her in the psychiatric ward, but she knows she has to escape to her lab to rebuild the Green Machine.

Handsome, daring, and impulsive, Donovan Shea is more than willing to do his part in the Pyr/Slayer war. Assigned to protect Alex, Donovan is shocked when her presence ignites his firestorm. He has no desire for a destined mate, but Alex's intelligence and determination inspire him to join the fight to save her invention. With the Slayers closing in, Donovan knows he would surrender his life for Alex...and lose his heart to possess her.

‘Fast and the Fury’est’ is the best words to describe the second book in the Dragonfire series – Kiss of Fury by Deborah Cooke, especially when one act of passion can save the world.

Alexandra Madison is a scientist on the verge of unveiling a huge world changing invention when her lab is burned down and her partner murdered. Donovan Shea is a sexy, daring Pyr who is a bit impulsive and he has been assigned to protect Alex, but he is shocked when the firestorm that he wants no part is ignited in a blaze of furious sparks. Alex and Donovan could set the world on fire with the sizzling chemistry that burns between them but these two strong, bold characters have a bit of a problem in the actual romance part due to stubbornness and a bit of a lack of communication, especially since Alex isn’t interested in anything that has to do with her nightmares…namely dragons, which keeps this relationship on a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, near misses and passionate encounters which in turn keeps readers on pins and needles.

Thrilling action, explosive battles, and sheer determination of all the characters involved keeps readers glued to the pages of this fast paced story that rivals the fastest and the furiousest of the all of the movies (which all on favorites list). Speaking of movies, I do believe the Dragonfire series would be on awesome on the big screen, hmmm… Oops! back to what I saying, there is lots of intrigue with twists and turns to ensure that readers never have a dull moment and that not counting the words of the Wyvern, Sophie that adds the mysterious and fascinating world of the Pyr/Slayer war and I can’t wait to find out what happens next.

Kiss of Fury

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39341146-kiss-of-fury

Author - https://dragonfirenovels.com/dragonfire/kiss-of-fury/

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/kiss-of-fury-by-deborah-cooke-2018-06-26

is the 2nd book in the Dragonfire series:

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/series/45034-dragonfire

Author - https://deborahcooke.com/dragons/dragonfire/

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F42NMYF?ref=series_rw_dp_labf

The Dragonfire novels now have their own website at http://dragonfirenovels.com

which includes

Kiss of Fire #1 (re-release June 26, 2018)
Kiss of Fury #2 (re-release June 26, 2018)
Kiss of Fate #3 (re-release June 26, 2018)
Winter's Kiss #4 (re-release July 10, 2018)
Harmonia's Kiss #4.5
Whisper Kiss #5 (re-release July 24, 2018)
Darkfire Kiss #6 (re-release Aug 14, 2018)
Flashfire #7 (re-release Aug 28, 2018)
Ember's Kiss #8 (re-release Sept 11, 2018)
Kiss of Danger #9
Kiss of Darkness #11
Kiss of Destiny #12
Serpent's Kiss #13
Firestorm Forever #14
Here Be Dragons: A Dragonfire Companion (re-release Oct 23, 2018)

The story of the Pyr continues with the DragonFate series.

.5 An Elegy for Melusine
1 Hot Blooded (coming Feb 19, 2019)

There is also a spin off series The Dragon Diaries

Kiss of Fury is available in ebook at:

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Fury-Dragonfire-Novel-Novels-ebook/dp/B07C9K8QSY/?tag=authdebocook-20

iBooks - https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/book/kiss-of-fury/id1335772669?mt=11&at=11lqeS

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kiss-of-fury-deborah-cooke/1100359338?ean=2940155409915

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/kiss-of-fury

GPlay - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Deborah_Cooke_Kiss_of_Fury?id=-e9GDwAAQBAJ

Please see the authors Kiss of Fire page (link above) for print options.

Deborah Cooke also writes under the names Claire Delacroix and Claire Cross.

Bestselling and award-winning author Deborah Cooke has published over fifty novels and novellas, including historical romances, fantasy romances, fantasy novels with romantic elements, paranormal romances, contemporary romances, urban fantasy romances, time travel romances and paranormal young adult novels. She writes as herself, Deborah Cooke, as Claire Delacroix, and has written as Claire Cross. She is nationally bestselling, #1 Kindle Bestselling, KOBO Bestselling, as well as a USA Today and New York Times’ Bestselling Author. Her Claire Delacroix medieval romance, The Beauty, was her first book to land on the New York Times List of Bestselling Books.

Deborah was the writer-in-residence at the Toronto Public Library in 2009, the first time TPL hosted a residency focused on the romance genre, and she was honored to receive the Romance Writers of America PRO Mentor of the Year Award in 2012. She’s a member of Romance Writers of America and of Novelists Inc.

Currently, she’s writing paranormal romances as Deborah Cooke, and medieval romances as Claire Delacroix.

Be sure and visit Deborah Cooke at the following locations:

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/74485.Claire_Cross

review 2018-07-17 22:41
Lord of Secrets (Rogues to Riches #5) by Erica Ridley

~3.5 stars ~

As an heir to a barony, Heath knows he must choose the right woman to marry. She’ll have to be a proper lady of a good family, and will never, ever give motive for scandal or gossip. So what if he’s not in love with the lady, right?

Heath in a way reminded of Mr. Darcy although not as brooding or surly. Honor bound to a fault, his first priority was always his family and his duty to the title. As the problem-solver of the ton, he considered his responsibility to keep his peers out of the gossip columns and pursue those that dared taint their “good” name. This attitude of him grated me because how could anyone be so honorable yet try to cover up other people’s mistakes. To me that was hypocritical. Fortunately, love outweighed any preconceived notions of honor and he found his true calling.
Nora had a secret of her own that if uncovered it could not only ruin her but also ruin her chances at love. I thought she was sweet, smart, and witty however I could totally see why she didn’t think highly of herself. It made me a happy reader when Heath saw past all of her shortcomings and focused on what mattered most. Their romance was engaging and slow-burning with the right amount of tension which made it feel believable.

Although there weren’t any tug-at-your-heart moments it was definitely enjoyable and a good continuation to the series. I recommend this series to anyone that likes endearing yet complex characters, funny moments, and good romance.

Thanks to Negalley for providing a copy of this story for review.

review 2018-07-17 21:49
One Sentence Review – The Sea Was A Fair Master – Calvin Demmer @CalvinDemmer
The Sea Was a Fair Master - Calvin Demmer

I love anything to do with water, so when I saw the title, The Sea Was A Fair Master, I had to see what these 23 short stories by Calvin Demmer were about. I look forward to some thrills and chills and invite you to join me.

The Sea Was a Fair Master

Goodreads

Amazon: US | UK | Canada | Australia | Germany | Italy | Spain | France | Japan | Brazil | Mexico | India | The Netherlands

MY REVIEW

Nowhere is safe in these 23 flash fiction pieces where the sea rules and it won’t let you forget it, but there is so much more – zombies, The Peeper is a fave, love that Krampus made an appearance, proves that clowns are creepy, your not so run of the mill murders – from Heaven to Hell and back again there is something for everyone in these quick yet chilling snippets of life in the world of horror that are written with humor, wit and a bit of the macabre and I found myself smiling at these stories that prove a few well written words can scare your pants off.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Sea Is A Fair Master by Calvin Demmer.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY CALVIN DEMMER REVIEWS

Hardened Hearts

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visitingl!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-the-sea-was-a-fair-master-calvin-demmer-calvindemmer
review 2018-07-17 18:34
’Baby Teeth’ has a lot of bite and is not so sweet BUT it’s ‘un-put-down-able’
Baby Teeth - Zoje Stage

This amazingly creepy story from debut author Zoje Stage has got a lot of bite. The ‘Daddy’s Little Girl’ complex takes center stage as Hanna, a seven-year old (supposedly) mute girl plays nice-nice in her father Alex’s company, but when she is the company of her mother Suzette, she just about unleashes horns on her head and a devil’s tail.

I’m exaggerating a little bit: there are no supernatural horns or tails although it’s way to easy to imagine them on this devil child that Zoje has so well-written for this novel. And somehow Hanna only manages to talk, now suddenly in French, just in her mom’s company, never so her dad can hear.

For years, Suzette has had to sacrifice her career by staying at home to homeschool Hanna, as she has been thrown out of preschools for bizarre and nasty behavior, but it’s behavior that her parents felt she would grow out of, and that once she was school-age, she could be handled better by an elementary school. Suzette also struggles with Crohn’s disease, which often keeps her bedridden and very ill, but it’s something that Hanna only has so much patience for but luckily her husband Alex has been sensitive to over the years.
Hanna persists in showing only one side to her father, who is Swedish to a fault, following Swedish holidays and traditions, which is something Hanna loves, including the special names Alex gives her, like Lilla Gumman, and she delights in little things like jumping in this lap and bedtime stories, shows of affection she reserves only for her father.
Alex and Suzette have not ignored Hanna’s lack of speech and antisocial behavior over the years though; they’ve taken her to specialists and had tests done, MRIs and other scans but there are no medical reasons for these behaviors. The answers start to become clearer especially to Suzette, as the behaviors become more pronounced; she questions herself, her parenting, whether Hanna is possessed, but she starts to realize this is just Hanna.

Reading Hanna’s side of it (as the novel goes -effectively - back and forth between what is going on for Hanna and Suzette, as if they are making an argument for their case) is just so incredibly disturbing. As she makes ‘plans’ for things she is about to do, and as she reasons ‘why she should’ do things, you’re allowed to see inside a very sad and twisted mind. As the book progresses so does her negativity towards her mother, and her need to push her mom out of the way to get closer to her father becomes greater.

The methods she does it by made me literally gasp out loud and sent my own child running (with questions for me), so that’s a good sign for me when it comes to a book.
In terms of how Suzette and Alex were able to handle Hanna: I will say that if you’re not a parent, you may have the view that it would have been easy to think ‘call the police’, or do certain other drastic things at times, but once you’re a parent, your perspective changes. You try everything else first. You want to try and help your child and do what you can, or you don’t believe they’re doing these behaviors. Your love for your child makes you run through all other avenues of help first, or in Alex’s case, stay in denial or in oblivion.

For many readers, this book may have gone too far; I know of many reviewers who passed on it because of the subject material, and it wasn’t for them. But it was totally right for me. I had been waiting for a book to be this daring for a while, and if it turns some people away, then you’ve at least elicited a visceral reaction to your work, whatever it is. In this case, it was because it was something that was going to make them feel uncomfortable or scared. I’d read that some people also got the wrong idea about the book, that it contained sexual abuse: it’s a shame people jump to conclusions before they actually have any real information.
Even if I didn’t know that the author Zoje used to work in film (as I also did) I probably could’ve guessed, as this would hold up so incredibly well as a movie; I had so many scenes in my head when I was reading this! Pure magic for the camera. Especially with the right Hanna.
The characters were so fascinating, and well-written, and I loved all the little bits about Sweden, Zoje did a fine job making these characters unique, especially for a thriller in a crowded genre. But then again, the whole book is unique, right down to the crushed lollipop on the front of the book.

And since at the center of this book is the ‘Daddy’s Little Girl/Electra’ complex, I found this fascinating. I don’t think I’ve seen a book personally written about this to this degree. It made Alex so blind to his daughter’s behavior, although it also made me question whether the ending was realistic.
The ending did kind of peter out a bit but I was satisfied with it; overall the book was such a page-turner, and kept me so enthralled, it was thoroughly ‘unputdownable’. I want more of this from Zoje!

*Warning: it might make some people question whether they want a ‘Little Girl to spoil’ after reading.

**Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for my early copy!