logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Reviewed
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-08 16:34
Tombland
Tombland - C.J. Sansom

by C. J. Sansom

Book 7 of the Matthew Shardlake Tudor Mystery series.

Set in the rebellions of 1549 during the reign of Edward VI, two years after the death of Henry VIII. The nominal king is eleven years old and his uncle, Edward Seymour, Lord Hertford, rules as Edward's regent and Protector. Catholics and Protestants are at odds and the Lady Elizabeth has a personal interest in a murder of the wife of one of her distant relatives that she sends Matthew Shardlake, a lawyer in her service, to investigate.

Medieval intrigue and mystery mostly keep attention through over 800 pages that cover among other things, Kett's Rebellion in the Tombland area of historic Norwich. These are real places and the history has been well researched. I did, however, think it was overly long. The books in this series contain a lot of detail of every move and I think it was asking a bit much to carry on with so much scrutiny for so long.

On one hand it's a good Historical Fiction, but it's also a murder mystery. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of murder mysteries in general and making me wait so long to find out who did it was torment! It is well done in the end though.

Those who do enjoy murder mysteries will have a great time trying to sift through the plentiful suspects and possible motives, both political and personal. The author leads us through a merry chase through all the possibilities. I did think that the final reveal was a little forced and not quite realistic, but by then I was just glad to have answers.

review 2018-12-03 12:30
The Sorrows
The Sorrows - Jonathan Janz

by Jonathan Janz

Film composers Ben and Eddie along with a couple of their female friends go to stay a month in Castle Blackwood, which has been uninhabited since a series of gruesome murders in 1925. Eddie is trying to inspire Ben's creativity when his personal problems with an ex-wife and son are distracting him. However, a malevolent being has been trapped for nearly a century in the castle and he’s ready to feed.

The first chapter was very well written and the personalities of Ben and Eddie were coming out strongly from the start. The one issue was that very different things were happening in the first few chapters so it took a while to get hold of a storyline without referring back to the description to remember what the story was supposed to be about, but a few chapters in, it all pulls together and we're off to the island.

It also got a little overblown on sex. Whenever an author's description of a woman includes "perky breasts" I get an impression of a creepy guy who objectifies women. Female authors just don't describe women that way, even if they prefer women themselves. I'm not a prude but I felt the sexual content was invasive rather than beneficial to the story.

The scares in this one didn't really deliver. The set-ups were there and could have been horrific, but the obsession with sexual dynamics distracted from any intensity and made the story drag. By the time I got to the end all I could feel was that I didn't like any of these characters. I know this author has written some good stuff but this one just fell flat for me.

review 2018-11-28 03:06
THE LIBRARY ON The EDGE OF THE WORLD by Felicity Hayes McCoy
The Library at the Edge of the World - Felicity Hayes-McCoy

THE LIBRARY ON THE EDGE OF THE WORLD

Felicity Hayes-McCoy

paperback, 368 pages

Published November 14th 2017 by Harper Perennial
ISBN:  0062663720 (ISBN13: 9780062663726)

Things start a quiet confusion while Hannah tries to figure out her life after divorce and moving back to her small, rural hometown. Then chaos when she starts renovations on her house and the community finds out they are losing governmental support for the library and seniors.
I am a library lover to begin with. Set that in Ireland, I am in heaven. This was a fun read. Some of the crotchety characters and the description of the landscape were great. Hayes-McCoy usually writes non-fiction about the Dingle Peninsula where this book is set, so she knows the area well. Her words bring out the beauty of the area wonderfully. Hannah's character was a little too stubborn for me, at first. But as I continued with the story, I soon realized why.

review 2018-11-28 02:55

illustrated by G R Hewitt

Paperback, 36 pages

Published May 2018 by RPG Publishing

099350986X (ISBN13: 9780993509865)

The colors that G R Hewitt used in the illustrations is great. A lot of colors, more muted rather than overly stimulating bright.

Paule describes each hat with shorter and longer words, which makes it a wonderful book to help young readers to learn some "big" vocabulary words, without making it feel like work. I really enjoyed the book, and the little comprehension test that she includes at the end.

***This book was won in a Booklikes giveaway held by the auther, in exchange for a fair review. ***

review 2018-11-24 12:05
Daisy Jones and The Six
Daisy Jones & the Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid

by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The story of an imaginary rock group from the early 1970s as told in interviews with the imaginary characters. This was an interesting read despite the unusual format and most of it was realistic enough that I actually checked to make sure it wasn't a real band. The relationship between the lead singer and his girlfriend stretched believable romance a little far, but it still worked.

A lot of references to real bands and things happening in the world at the time made this as enjoyable as reading about any favourite obscure band from that era. For those of us who weren't around to experience the times first hand, it might as well be as true as any of the documentaries about other bands.

It was very well done and the dynamics among the various band members and close associates are interesting and realistic enough to believe it all could happened. I so wanted Daisy to stop hurtling towards her own self destruction!

What was unexpected because of the format were a couple of twists near the end. I came out of reading this with the same sort of nostalgic feelings I get from real documentaries, for a place and time I've never been. I did wish the ending had gone one step further, but it was satisfying nonetheless.