logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Richard-Laymon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-02-06 21:34
Cuts by Richard Laymon: A Bundle of Breasts
Cuts - Richard Laymon

It took me a long time to get around to writing this review, mostly because I didn't want to think about this book anymore. I had plans of writing something long and in depth, but instead I will keep this short and to the point.

Cuts can be summed up in one word: Tits....or breasts, if that word makes you feel more comfortable. Richard Laymon is a boob man through and through, it's obvious as the day is long. Not a chapter in this book goes by without a reference to a woman's chest. Even if it isn't in a sexual way, the boobs are there no question, but let's be honest, it's usually sexual.

Now, I'm not a prude at all (which is why I made a point of using tits there at the beginning :P), but I've never read something written for adults with such a juvenile approach to sexuality. Most of Laymon's work covers these basis, but none of the others I've read scraped the bottom of the boob barrel so unapologetically.

I hope Laymon's heaven is two massive chesticles pressed to either side of his face for all time, I truly do. But for you, dear reader, chose another book.

review 2019-11-20 23:58
The Cellar by Richard Laymon, Yes and No
The Cellar - Richard Laymon

There is no filler in Laymon's writing. The sentences are short and very seldom is there any semblance of craft in the them. I don't say this as a bad thing, just a fact. Laymon gets right to the point, and that lends itself to a novel that I read in a blink.

I've read some previous books by Laymon that focused in on the sexual aspects of horror. He often describes woman in a way that almost makes me feel slimy for reading the words. Still, I am no PC social justice warrior. Everything has it's place. The issue is really just the one-sidedness of the characters. If a woman only exist on the page as sexual candy or rape fodder, then there isn't much to the character, is there? The Cellar has less chauvinism than some of the others I've read, and because of that, is a more rounded story.

I definitely enjoyed this one the most out of those I've read and am actually pretty excited to read the next in the series. I gather that he actually wrote four more-though I also gather that they aren't as good. Time will tell.

show activity (+)
review 2018-10-13 12:51
Creepy Carnival
The Traveling Vampire Show - Richard Laymon

3 best friends spend the day trying to figure out how to get in to see the female vampire in a traveling side show.  They spend the day freaking out over weird happenings.  Things get weirder when they get to the show.

I don't think the sister-in-law, Lee, was very realistically written, even considering this takes place in 1963.  Or maybe because it takes place in 1963.  And the clothing described sounded more late 70's early 80's to me.  Although I'm not up on what was fashionable in the early 60's.

This one felt like Laymon was trying for a Robert McCammon feel. He didn't do half bad in my opinion.

However, he managed to pack 3 days worth of activities into the hours between 9am and midnight of one day.  Maybe everyone was the Flash.

review 2018-03-12 00:00
No Sanctuary
No Sanctuary - Richard Laymon I am a big fan of Laymon and have been for a number of years. I have read most of his work and have enjoyed them all. I did enjoy this story, however, I did feel that this was one of his weaker works. It sort of lacked that Laymon intensity. If you enjoy cheesy B-movie horrors and thrillers then I would say you would enjoy this book...and all other Laymon books as well thinking about it.
I thought the combination of the two stories written side by side would of come to a very explosive crash but they kind of just touched, gave eachother a pat on the back and then wondered off.
Overall, weaker than I expected but still a good paced read to pass the time. Plus it's Laymon...you have to read it.
show activity (+)
review 2018-03-11 02:26
THE WOODS ARE DARK Review
The Woods are Dark - Richard Laymon

4.5 stars rounded up!

Wow! This was my first Richard Laymon novel and I was not disappointed. I know Laymon has a bit of a bad reputation (as in, he’s known for writing trashy horror), so I was a bit hesitant when starting this short tale of a few people lost in the woods and on the run from an incestuous family of cannibals that . . . practice witchcraft? I think?

Oh, and the Devil shows up too. In literal monster form.

Needless to say, this thing is intense. I could not — and did not — want to put it down.

The whole time I was reading, I felt like I was reading Jack Ketchum’s Off Season (which is funny, since they were both published in 1981), only I enjoyed this one much more. Maybe it’s because I was able to sympathize more with the characters, despite Ketchum arguably fleshing his creations out more. I dunno. Laymon did a good job, here, of giving me just enough information to make the characters distinctive and likable without getting bogged down in back story. This one is all action, all horror, from the start.

Easily the scariest book I’ve read this month thus far, I liked this one much more than I expected and I hope to squeeze in another Laymon before the end of March.