logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Rick-Riordan
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-15 15:22
und der Vorhang fällt
Helden des Olymp, Band 5: Das Blut des Olymp - Rick Riordan,Gabriele Haefs

Der letzte Teil. Lange hatte ich ihn mir aufgespart - teilweise weil ich ihn mir aufheben wollte und teilweise, weil ich Angst hatte, was da auf mich zu kommen mag. Vor allem nach dem Vorgängerband. Aber es war gar nicht so schlimm (unter uns Norddeutschen: das ist als Lob anzusehen. Ich weiß, ihr versteht mich).

Nun, endlich sind die sieben Halbgötter bei ihrer finalen Aufgabe angekommen und es wurde auch Zeit...Doch was bei ich beim letzten Buch so sehr vermisste, ließ sich hier wenigstens wieder finden. Feiner, sarkastischer Humor. Ausnehmend gut hat mir natürlich wieder Apollo gefallen, dementsprechend auch sein Sohn. Beide sehr unterhaltsam. Das Die Helden des Olymps nichtsdestotrotz nicht mit der Percy Jackson Reihe mithalten können, ist für mich klar. Doch ist es eine nette Weiterführung, die man mal nebenbei wegschroten kann. Die zusätzlichen, "neuen" Charaktere gewinnen für mich nicht so viel emotionale Nähe wie zum Beispiel Grover, Annabeth und Co.KG, aber sei es drum. Es unterhielt mich und was will man mehr?

review 2018-09-29 01:16
Magnus Chase and the Sarcastic, Casually Racist Sword
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book One: The Sword of Summer (Rick Riordan's Norse Mythology) - Christopher Guetig,Rick Riordan

I enjoy these books. They're mindless reads that can actually inform you about history and mythology you wouldn't normally learn about.

But Magnus seems to be a blonde Percy Jackson. And nobody can be Percy but Percy. Them's just the facts.

review 2018-09-24 22:58
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

This is a cute kids’s tale. Percy is 12 and apparently gets kicked out of schools often. His mom currently has them living with a dead beat, verbally abusive man that has a body odor problem. Life is just tough on Percy. But it’s about to get a lot tougher when Greek deities and monsters pop up in his life!

There were several moments that made me laugh…. like Grover suddenly yanking off his pants. That’s the moment where Percy is all, ‘What the hell!’ but then Grover has fur and hooves below the waist, so Percy is stunned into silence. Grover is a Satyr assigned to protect Percy but he’s been keeping his Greek mythology side on the down low with a disguised lower half. Grover isn’t the only one who’s been keeping their real identity from Percy. In fact, there were a few times I thought Percy’s young mind might melt from the over load of reveals.

After a harrowing chase and the death of someone important to him, he ends up at the Half Blood training camp where he meets other kids who are half mortal and half deity. Now, I did think that Percy took that death in stride and it was a bit glossed over. I expected tears for days and scars for life but this book seems to veer wide of any serious stuff. There’s several examples of this, like Medusa and how she really came to be a snake headed monster. It wasn’t some jealousy over dating partners.

Anyhoo, pretty soon Percy gets a quest and goes on a road trip. Annabeth (a daughter of Athena) and Grover accompany him. There’s also the gifts from Luke (a son of Hermes). As Western culture has shifted further and further west, key places in Greek mythology have also shifted and several now reside in the USA. I liked this bit of world building because it meant I didn’t have to bang my head against a wall every time a Greek mythological location popped up.

Percy isn’t the only one to face their fears and take on a personal challenge in this story. His companions also suffer and have a chance at victory. There’s treachery too. Percy must figure out who his true friends are while also discovering who stole Zeus’s lightning. It’s a fun tale but I didn’t have a strong reaction to it as I did with Harry Potter. 4/5 stars.

The Narration: Jesse Bernstein does a really good job. He sounds like a 12 year old boy who has gotten kicked out of a lot of places. His voice for Grover is great, as he sometimes has a little goat in it. His female voices are spot on. There’s several monsters with their various yells, hisses, snorts, etc and Bernstein carries them off without a hitch. 5/5 stars.

review 2018-09-24 22:52
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan

Book 1 was only OK for me but since Book 2 was just sitting there on Hoopla, I thought I would give it a try. I liked it a bit better than Book 1. It seemed to move along at a swifter clip and Percy is growing up a little. After all, he’s gotten to use his sword (Riptide) a few times and beaten back several monsters.

After another boring year at a regular school, he returns to the Half Blood training camp for the summer. There he’s surprised to find out that he has to share his living quarters with Tyson, who’s a big cyclops kid with some mental challenges. Percy spends his time being embarrassed by this big one-eyed kid that follows him around. While Percy doesn’t tease him, several other kids tease one or both of them. I really like that we have this character and that Percy has to figure out how to live with him.

Pretty soon, there is a quest! A quest to save the camp! But Percy isn’t the one chosen to go on it. Alas, that honor falls to the combative Clarice, a daughter of Aires. Yet the god Hermes might have other plans for Percy and pretty soon he, Annabeth, and Tyson are on their way to save Grover (who is currently on some unnamed island in drag trying to avoid getting married or eaten).

While there were plenty of moments that made me laugh, there were also those moments were I expected more emotion or reaction from Percy. Once again, there’s the death of a character that means a lot to Percy and yet he doesn’t really put a lot of thought into it, not any tears, no grieving. So it’s hard for me to get fully sucked into a tale that doesn’t take itself seriously. Even if the author knows that all will turn out OK, the characters don’t.

I did like that the kids are getting a little older and Percy has started to notice the first niggling of some deeper emotion for Annabeth. I’m not sure if Grover will ever get a chance to grow up though. He’s pretty much just comic relief in this story.

Tyson becomes the real shining star, teaching not only Percy but some of the other kids that different isn’t so bad. Tyson has different gifts than most of the kids, and in some of them he’s quite the genius. Annabeth is a bit prejudiced towards cyclops in general due to a past bad experience. She has to face this and learn to shelve it because Tyson isn’t a jerk.

All told, it was fun and I liked it better than Book 1. Especially those Party Ponies at the end. 4/5 stars.

The Narration: Jesse Bernstein continues to do great with the voices. He’s got the perfect Percy voice and his female voices are dead on. I really liked his combative voice for Clarice. All of his characters are distinct and his pacing is good. 5/5 stars.

review 2018-09-07 00:50
The Lightning Thief
The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

This book introduces mythology in a fun, modern way through the main character Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon. Percy goes on an adventure with his friends Annabeth and Grover to try to find Zeus' stolen lightning bolt. Throughout their journey, the friends encounter many figures from Greek mythology, who still maintain their fundamental traits, but have a modern spin.

This would be a great book to use to introduce students to mythology in a fun way. After finishing the book, students could pick one of the Greek mythology figures that Percy encountered in the book, and do a research project on the story of that figure. The teacher would need to have prescreened resources for the students, as some of the mythology stories could be inappropriate for students.

AR Level 4.7