Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-22 01:48
It Takes Two to Tumble by Cat Sebastian - My Thoughts
It Takes Two to Tumble: Seducing the Sedgwicks - Cat Sebastian

This first of a projected series was recommended all over my Twitter feed as being a fun, sexy read.  And the recs weren't wrong.  :)

The two main characters were a little different from the norm.  A ship's captain and a vicar.  I liked their characters.  Phillip, the widowed naval captain with the three unruly children is a grumpy, clueless, stern and standoffish fellow who we soon learn actually does have a heart under that disciplined exterior.

Benedict, or Ben, the vicar, is a sweetheart.  Takes care of everyone.  Good humoured and understanding and endowed with a huge heart, he's the perfect foil for Phillip.

I honestly can't say that any new ground in historical, gay romances was broken here, but it's certainly a fun and entertaining read.  The love story is sweet and believable, the sexytimes are hot, and the children aren't little paragons of cleverness or virtue or old beyond their years.

I enjoyed it quite a bit!  And I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

review 2018-03-21 23:05
4.7 Out of 5 "Whirling Ball" Stars
Forever Right Now - Emma Scott

Forever Right Now

Emma Scott

Darlene Montgomery has been to hell and back…more than once. After a stint in jail for drug possession, she is finally clean and ready to start over. Yet another failed relationship is just the motivation she needs to move from New York to San Francisco with the hopes of resurrecting her dance career and discovering that she is more than the sum of her rap sheet. As Darlene struggles in her new city, the last thing she wants is to become entangled with her handsome—but cranky—neighbor and his adorable little girl...

Sawyer Haas is weeks away from finishing law school, but exhaustion, dwindling finances, and the pressure to provide for himself and his daughter, Olivia, are wearing him down. A federal clerkship--a job he desperately needs--awaits him after graduation, but only if he passes the Bar Exam. Sawyer doesn’t have the time or patience for the capricious—if beautiful—dancer who moves into the apartment above his. But Darlene’s easy laugh and cheerful spirit seep into the cracks of his hardened heart, and slowly break down the walls he’s resurrected to keep from being betrayed ever again.

When the parents of Olivia’s absentee mother come to fight for custody, Sawyer could lose everything. To have any chance at happiness, he must trust Darlene, the woman who has somehow found her way past his brittle barbs, and Darlene must decide how much of her own bruised heart she is willing to give to Sawyer and Olivia, especially when the ghosts of her troubled past refuse to stay buried.

My second Emma Scott book and I think I've found a New Adult Author that I love.  Her stories are genuine and heartfelt, with no over-the-top drama.  Her characters are the same.  I can't help but advocate for them.  The feels that she invokes for me are indelible, and the best part about her books, no gratuitous sex scenes.

"You get back what you put in.  Negative shit gets you negative shit.  Positive energy begets positive energy.  Whatever you put out there in the universe...it listens.  And then it answers.  So when I talk, I try to give it something it wants to hear and hope it answers with something I want to hear."

Plot~ 4.5/5

Addictiveness~ 5/5

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.3/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

Book Cover~  It's okay…it goes with the story well.

Series~ A stand-alone but Darlene's Character is a secondary character in The Butterfly Project.

Setting~ San Francisco, California

Source~ Own on Kindle eBook.

review 2018-03-21 18:08
The Tale of Two Dukes, Katherine Shelton

I was a little disturbed by the actions of this Heroine and the ease she had to prepare for it. I was starting to worry about the outcome of the story. So be prepared for the ups and downs of this young woman. This is the 13th book in the Sweet Romance Collection. I voluntarily chose to review this clean Regency Romance and gave it a 4.5* rating.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-03-21 17:04
Skim Blood and Savage Verse - Offbeat Crimes #3 Book Review
Skim Blood and Savage Verse (Offbeat Crimes, #3)Skim Blood and Savage Verse by Angel Martinez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really do like this series. It's just so gosh-darned wonderful and fluffy; like being wrapped in your favorite blanket on a snowy day with your fav hot chocolate spiked with something creamy and boozy.

Angel's 3rd book in the Offbeat Crimes focuses on Carrington Loveless III, the 77th's very own skim-blood drinking vampire as the leading man and the the lead officer for the investigation. And what an unusual crime. Feral books that literally fling words as weapons. But where did they come from, who set them on the loose, and just who is the mysterious Ms. Hunter Green Pea Coat, other than LJ's (Leather Jacket's) love on the lamb. Angel's characters simply come to life with wit, humor, and heart.

We meet Erasmus, shy unassuming library expert on all things Beatrix Potter from fluffy rabbits to dapper ducks. He starts off as Carr's literary consultant on the case and then his friend but Carr has a type, a hot, studly, absolute train-wreck of a type. Enter Heath... the train-wreck waiting to happen. Will Carr be sucked into yet another train-wreck or will he realize that there's something much much better hiding in the shy, literary wings? And how will they catch the feral books and contain them? Who unleashed them on the city? Will LJ and Hunter Pea Coat reunite?

Sooo many questions - read the book to find the answers!

review 2018-03-21 16:27
Waking for Winter (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles Book 4) by Katherine McIntyre
Waking for Winter (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #4) - Katherine McIntyre
Waking for Winter is the last book in the Philadelphia Coven Chronicles, and this time we meet up with Cami and Dante. Now, Cami is a character we've met throughout the series, whilst Dante is a fairly new one who popped up in Alanna and Sam's story. Interestingly enough, this couple is also the only one who had a previous relationship with each other, although Cami left for her own reasons. Cami is 'haunted' by her experiences at the hands of the Order of the Serpent, and you realise just how much as the story fills out. Dante will do anything to protect Cami. He still loves her, even though he still doesn't know why she left. In this climatic book, all the previous couples play a part, but the spotlight remains on Cami and Dante.
This has one helluva ending, that definitely leaves you wanting more but strangely satisfied with what you have. The usual high quality of writing flows through this book, a standard I now associate with Katherine McIntyre. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this book, my favourite of the series has to be Rising for Autumn. However, I would highly recommend you try this series for yourself, and then let me know which is your favourite! An epic ending to a great series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Absolutely recommended by me.
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/philadelphiacovenchronicles1-4bykatherinemcintyre