logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Ronald-Malfi
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-14 02:13
Floating Staircase
Floating Staircase - Ronald Malfi

*this is not exactly a review

I'm waffling between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one. I'm going with the 4 for now.

This was a really enjoyable, fast paced read. It was quite sad in some parts and pretty spooky in others. While I really enjoyed the book and had a hard time putting it down, I felt there was some thing missing that would have given it that extra oomph.

I definitely do want to check out some of this author's other books, though. I really liked his writing style.

review 2018-05-08 04:23
Rescuing Evil....
Borealis - Ronald Malfi

A really good novella about a crabbing trawler crew that rescues a girl off an iceberg, then all hell breaks loose when the crew learns the hard way that she isn't quite the innocence girl they thought she was.

review 2018-05-03 05:08
Bone White by Ronald Malfi
Bone White - Ronald Malfi

Bone White has done something that few thrillers have done to me in years....left me white knuckled. With a chilling atmosphere that has one Hell of a lot more going for it than just the temperature in the aptly named town of Dread's Hand, Alaska.

With a deft hand, Malfi weaves a contemporary thriller with primal fear, paying homage, in my humble opinion, to Algernon Blackwood and his classic The Wendigo. And raising the bar, not to mention the hairs on the back of my neck in the process.

Highly recommended.

review 2018-04-12 00:00
Bone White
Bone White - Ronald Malfi Review to come.
review 2017-11-10 20:47
DECEMBER PARK Review
By Ronald Malfi December Park [Paperback] - Ronald Malfi

In 1993, children in Harting Farms begin to go missing. The police start investigating — and a curfew for kids under eighteen is implemented — but no answers are found. The crimes go on. Five teenage friends band together to solve the crime for themselves, going to places in town adults aren’t aware of, the places kids frequent. Their investigation goes on for quite a while, and in that time they’ll discover more than they expected.

This was my second Ronald Malfi novel. Call me a bonafide Malfi fan, because this guy is 2/2 with me. Though this one didn’t quite reach the heights of Bone White, I feel, it was still a lot of fun. It’s a quick, enthralling read, and I would have finished it much sooner had I not also had David Copperfield on the docket.

I must admit a few things about this book felt rather derivative. The main character and narrator, Angelo, is a horror-loving kid with a penchant for storytelling. This sort of character has become a trope in horror-tinged coming of age fiction, though it is understandable. It’s a case of writers writing about what they know. Still, it just smacked of unoriginality. Other elements such as a massive storm and a creepy house the kids refer to as “The Werewolf House” felt like they’d been ripped straight from Stephen King’s IT. That’s not to say this is a case of plagiarism; most certainly not. It’s just these things have been done so often before.

This is a fun and emotional mystery/thriller starring five very likable (albeit somewhat unmemorable) kids. Whatever problems are present are made up for with Malfi’s sheer writing talent.