logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SciFi
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-04 08:10
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol. 5: Mobilization - Yoshiki Tanaka,Tyran Grillo

Once again Yang wins not loses by the grace of Reinhard.  This one doesn't feel as believable as the other ones, since it's more or less a Deus Ex Machina.

Though it does showcase how smart Mariendorf is in pulling it off.

We also get to see Julian on his own with the Terra-ists.

review 2018-04-28 18:32
Review: Saga, Volume 6
Saga, Volume 6 - Brian K. Vaughan,Fiona Staples

We finally have a family reunion, even if it's not complete.  But things are getting crazier with every chapter!

The Will is in a constant state of 'high' and is seeing The Stalk.  He's really in a bad way.  Prince Robot IV is in an unlikely alliance with Marko and Alanna.  I don't even know what to say about this except that the plot continues to thicken!  Just when you think it can't get crazier or more messed up, it does!  But every now and then good things happen.    Hazel is back where she belongs, but now they've got more grudging allies.  And there are more people mixed up in the mystery that his Hazel's existence than a little.  I literally cannot even guess what's going to happen next!

The story is keeping me very interested and the artwork is fantastic.  I am so glad I immersed myself in this series.

review 2018-04-28 16:08
Review: Saga, Volume 5
Saga, Volume 5 - Brian K. Vaughan,Fiona Staples

OMG this is getting insane!  Marko is all sorts of fired up like I've never seen. And Dengo got in way over his head with the rebellion.  And it's Alanna, Klara and Hazel who are going to pay for his stupidity.  Just when we get the reunion we've been waiting for, there's another division.  I'm trying not to spoil.

In this Volume things are really heating it.  We've got three sides, one trying to keep the war going, one trying to stop it, and I'm not real sure about the third.  I'm starting to wonder if anyone even knows what they're even fighting for.  And my guess is the side that want to keep the war going is in it for either money or power, likely both.  I just have this sinking feeling that we'll ever get a happy ending here.

review 2018-04-28 15:00
Review: Saga, Volume 4
Saga Volume 4 - Brian K. Vaughan,Fiona Staples

Dude this story is getting brutal!

This volume is full of angst.  And not good angst.  Alanna and Marko having issues is disheartening.  Prince Robot IV is completely out of his robot mind.  And we've got the usual murder and kidnapping I've become accustomed to seeing in Saga.  Poor baby  Hazel is caught up in the middle of all this crap.

Can't wait to see how this shakes out!

review 2018-04-14 14:41
Robot Revolution Review
Robot Revolution! - James Patterson,Juliana Neufeld,Chris Grabenstein

Source: Library

Robot Revolution is another great entry into one of my favorite fiction series for kids. I love House of Robots series for so many reasons. First off, it’s an accessible science fiction series for middle graders. Then there’s the fact that it features a family that is diverse both in race and disability. And then, of course, one can’t forget the house full of robots. I can’t forget the fact that the mom is the brilliant scientist and the dad is the artist in the family.  But House of Robots has something going for it that I just don’t see in other middle-grade books. That is: The Hayes-Rodriguez family is tight. They love and support each other, and you know that no matter what goes wrong, they’re going to be together.

This book is where we see Sammy really show some frustration with his situation. He’s expressed it before in previous books, but this one feels like where he’s pushed to his limits.  Sammy has it easy in a lot of ways, but he’s still just a kid in a family where he is not the priority. Maddie is. It’s perfectly understandable that she tends to take precedence at times, but no one can blame Sammy for the frustration that arises in Robot Revolution. Everyone needs time and attention, whether you be a young boy or a neglected robot. And the robots are definitely feeling neglected too.

Chris Grabenstein and James Patterson do a great job of relaying the frantic chaos of the Hayes-Rodriguez house. All the characters (including the robots) in Robot Revolution are unique and memorable. The new ‘villain’ (well, school bully) is one that it’s quite easy to loathe. It’s nice to see him get his comeuppance at the end.  But the best thing that happens in Robot Revolution is one you’ll have to read to find out. I totally wasn’t expecting it, and it definitely made me happy to read. (I can only imagine the expression on my kiddo’s face when she finishes the last few chapters at bedtime tomorrow.)

House of Robots is a series you need to get for your kids. It deals with various issues that lots of kids can relate to. The illustrations are perfect. The dialogue, pacing, and action can’t be beat. It really is one of the best sci-fi novel series for kids on the market today.