Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Science
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-16 20:23
Review: The Unsound Theory
The Unsound Theory - Emilia Zeeland

As you may have noticed, it has been a very slow year for me reading wise. Who knew having an infant and toddler to take care of full time would leave me little "me" time. The chronic sleep deprivation hasn't helped things either, but the plus side is that the few books I have managed to get to this year have been amazing. This one is no exception.

In true YA fashion, Yalena has a cryptic past that leads her on a journey to find both her origins and herself. This being the first book in the series, there is a lot of informative information and character introductions but it's a great lead in to what is sure to be a fantastic series. Yalena is an interesting character who surprised me a bit as she found her own voice in a sea of overachievers.

I really enjoyed the world building elements that Zeeland includes. Brief history lessons that you attend with Yalena and her classmates make this space world more and more interesting. Of course, what's a good novel without some romantic interests and competitive drama to keep things interesting. STAR Academy is a college level specialty school by invitation only. It is an elite group of students expected to become the next best thing in their respective fields, no pressure there.

I highly recommend this book to science fiction fans, especially those who enjoy young adult as well. Space is the next frontier and there is so much to learn from the next generation of explorations. The Unsound Theory has a little bit of everything in it and I can't wait for the next installment of this series!

review 2018-03-16 15:54
Ever wondered about the anatomy of a leech?
Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything - Lydia Kang,Nate Pedersen

As soon as I saw Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything by Lydia Kang I knew that I had to get it in my hands. If the name alone doesn't intrigue you then I don't know what will. This book is full to bursting with historical facts about crazy medical practices through the ages. It is an excellent resource about the history of the medical profession as well as education and social change. Much like when I read Soonish, I felt that it was a little heavy with the 'relatable' humor but this was easily overlooked. (I think Kang pulled it off better anyway.) As someone who has read quite a bit about the history of medicine, I was surprised by just how much I didn't know. For example, did you know that leeches have 3 stomachs, 3 jaws, and 100 teeth in each of those jaws?! Kang sets up the different medical practices and procedures by first giving a history of the person that started it off (generally a 'medical practitioner' or someone at least purporting to be one). She then shares accounts from the patients who endured such crazy routines (like bloodletting or ingesting arsenic) paired with diagrams of the medical equipment used to accomplish such feats. (I hope you have a strong stomach for the bloodletting chapter.) I especially enjoyed the little asides about what we now know about the concoctions put together long ago to 'cure' and how the vast majority of them were either complete hokum or actually increased the chances of the patient suffering an agonizing death. It makes you wonder how the future generations will view our supposedly 'innovative' medicines and treatments of the sick. Will we be seen as medical charlatans and blind fools or will they take into account the socioeconomic and political climate that we live in and how that shapes our view on medicine as a whole? As you read this book (and I hope you will) ponder that very question because then perhaps you won't judge past generations quite so harshly...unless it's the guys who took Strychnine in order to increase their sex drive. Always judge those guys. 9/10

I wasn't lying about the leeches. [Source: Amazon]

What's Up Next: HiLo Book 4: Waking the Monsters by Jeff Winick

What I'm Currently Reading: The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2018-03-15 16:36
Big Bad Wolf – Despite The Fangs by Dylan Newton #DylanNewton
Despite the Fangs - Dylan Newton

I love the cool blue colored cover for Despite The Fangs by Dylan Newton. The coolness depicts the location, the Adirondack Mountains and it’s done in a way that all the elements mesh together without being too busy. Great job Rae Monet Inc Design.

Despite the Fangs

Amazon   /  Goodreads

I found Dylan Newton by winning one of her books in a giveaway, Any Witch Way. I loved it so much, that when I was given a chance to read Despite The Fangs, I was gung ho. And…

Aribella Lupari is the Alpha of the Lypari wolfpack.

Ari has become a stalker werewolf. It’s not her fault. It was all an accident. It was love at first smell, when she and her brother were out on a rescue mission in the Adirondacks

No time for a snack of rabbit tar tar. I love the light, humorous writing.

She IS Tracker Inc. Need someone found? Missing hikers, no problem. Villains, the best. Children were the most difficult cases. When the opportunity comes up to rescue a kidnapped child that would net them what they need to allow them to take their company global, thus enabling them to combine werewolves across the world under an umbrella of independence, how could she turn it down. Until…

He walks in. The sexual tension was flaming hot before they even met face to face.They both deny the attraction, and when it comes to the paranormal, I find it easier to accept the instalove. Once they surrender to their urges I feel like I can sit back, relax, and get to the crux of the story and I am really curious to find out the what of Mason. I love the fabulous twist, that I wasn’t expecting, and you will need to read the book to know more. It’s so good, I refuse to spoil it for you.

Different from the usual paranormal, supernatural werewolf stories I read. I am always on the lookout for something different, something a little more…This rrrrighteously wonderful surprise made me stay up until three in the morning, because I had to get to the action packed, riveting, heart pounding ending.

Despite The Fangs is not my first Dylan Newton story and it will not be my last. She has a way of taking the run of the mill story and flipping it upside down and inside out, with her excellent writing that will surprise and delight.

“Anyway, I’ve got to go. Thanks so much. I…enjoyed my time with you. Bear mauling, and tranquilizer gun aside, it’s rare to find a guy that’ll accept me. Ask the three little pigs. Or the brat with the red riding cape.”

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Despite The Fangs by Dylan Newton.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/big-bad-wolf-despite-the-fangs-by-dylan-newton-dylannewton
review 2018-03-15 16:11
Spellbinding – The Dragon’s Playlist by Laura Bickle @Laura_Bickle
The Dragon's Playlist - Laura Bickle

OMG, what an amazing cover for The Dragon’s Playlist by Laura Bickle. If this is any indication of the story inside, I can hardly wait to get started. How about you?

Cover:  Danielle Fine

The Dragon's Playlist

Amazon Goodreads

I have heard some rumors about Laura Bickle’s writing and now I know, IT’S TRUE! She can spin a heart pounding tale of love and loss, and fantasy and fiction, that blend together in a spellbinding read that you will not be able to put down.

Diamond came home to see her ailing father. It is terrible to see a parent weak, ill, a parody of their former self. He had been hurt in a mine cave in.

Oh man, she’s got a porcelain unicorn collection. Me too. She talks of her love for trees and the forest. I love them too. I also had a treehouse, and, like hers, it was really just a couple of boards nailed to a couple of branches. BUT, I never had a fiery something coming my way. Hmmm…is it a shadow…is that fire?

Money issues force her to take a break from college and she is not happy about it. She is resentful, even though she knows it’s the only way to help her parents. Her ex-boyfriend, Jason, seems to be a permanent fixture at her parents home. She thought it was odd, until she found out why Jason and her dad had such a close relationship.

Another mining story with the same theme, attitudes, danger, treehuggers…and the miners who need the jobs. I have read several books, recently, about coal mining and it pisses me off every time it comes up. We shouldn’t be underground, like rats, mining for an obsolete product. Well…let me collect myself…These type of stories get my emotions roiling and I am filled with anger, disgust, sadness, and a feeling of ambivalence.

I couldn’t help but laugh at the mention of noodling, and if you haven’t heard of it you are in for a laugh or two. It’s a southern thing. They were supposed to be looking for Buzzard Bill, but the kids are easily bored.

Whoa…Not what I was expecting and I love it. Reminds me of Mothman…a bit.

The characters have some decisions to make, some attitudes to adjust and some romantic feelings to sort out. Their futures are not easy to discern and their problems read like a true story as they struggle day by day. Sometimes we don’t get all the dreams of our youth, but, like Diamond, there can still be love, happiness and a feeling of contentment.

At seventy percent, I am feeling so sad. I went from childlike wonder to anger and disappointment, sorrow and hope. So much heartache. Can there possibly be any happiness left?

I cannot stop reading…I must know…OMG! Fabulous, fiery, fantastic, flaming, flawless fantasy!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Dragon’s Playlist by Laura Bickle.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/spellbinding-the-dragons-playlist-by-laura-bickle-laura_bickle/www.fundinmental.com/spellbinding-the-dragons-playlist-by-laura-bickle-laura_bickle
review 2018-03-15 11:14
Missing Microbes by Martin J. Blaser
Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues - Martin Blaser

TITLE:   Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues

AUTHOR:  Martin J. Blaser

FORMAT:  ebook

ISBN-13:  978 1443420259

From the blurb:

"Tracing one scientist’s journey toward understanding the crucial importance of the microbiome, this revolutionary book will take readers to the forefront of trail-blazing research while revealing the damage that overuse of antibiotics is doing to our health: contributing to the rise of obesity, asthma, diabetes, and certain forms of cancer. In Missing Microbes, Dr. Martin Blaser invites us into the wilds of the human microbiome where for hundreds of thousands of years bacterial and human cells have existed in a peaceful symbiosis that is responsible for the health and equilibrium of our body. Now, this invisible eden is being irrevocably damaged by some of our most revered medical advances—antibiotics—threatening the extinction of our irreplaceable microbes with terrible health consequences. Taking us into both the lab and deep into the fields where these troubling effects can be witnessed firsthand, Blaser not only provides cutting edge evidence for the adverse effects of antibiotics, he tells us what we can do to avoid even more catastrophic health problems in the future."

I found this book to contain a great deal of well researched, interesting information about the effects of antibiotics (and their overuse) on our microbiome and how this impacts on our health.  I do think the author needs to consider other aspects of our environment (e.g. pollution, endocrine disruptors, pesticides etc) than just antibiotics and the microbiome, but this does not seem to be part of the scope for this book.  The writing is fast paced, and personable without irrelevant extraneous material.  The science is easy to understand and summarised fairly well, however, I would have like more in-depth details.

~ The Killers Within: The Deadly Rise Of Drug-Resistant Bacteria by Michael Shnayerson, Mark J. Plotkin

~  Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story by Theo Colborn, Dianne Dumanoski, John Peterson Myers

~ Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA by Maryn McKenna

~The Hidden Half of Nature: The Microbial Roots of Life and Health by David R. Montgomery & Anne Biklé

~ Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills by Russell L. Blaylock

~ This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society by Kathleen McAuliffe