logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Sean
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-07 15:44
"Cold Heart", by Sean-Paul Thomas
"Cold Heart" - Sean-Paul Thomas

If you like a main character to be a villain instead of a hero read “Cold Heart”. Estelle Munroe nicknamed “Cold Heart” is an assassin serving a mysterious individual with powers to control whatever he wants in the shadows. But after a successful mission Estelle discovers that her sister Gayle drowned while swimming in the Clyde in Glasgow. Gayle was scared of water and to Estelle her death was totally out of character, more than questionable and even impossible. She had to find out what happened to her sister even defying he superiors orders to stay put….but at what price…..what a thrilling read.

In a third person’s point of view, the story flips between Estelle’s past and the present as she navigates through the mystery of her sister’s death. The methods of this ruthless assassin determined to find the truth are brutal and at time even unnecessary but are definitely effective. Estelle is certainly very hateful, uncaring and heartless human being. The author gave her a very interesting and difficult persona: at first you start hating her and cannot see anything qualifying her actions but slowly you are pulled in and rooting for her success in avenging her sister’s death. Estelle is a seriously kick-ass female protagonist and is well-defined character. I love her.

This novel is filled with violence and is very graphic. It offers several twists along the way and provides quite a roller coaster ride till the end. The wonderfully exciting and engrossing plot is well-written and crafted. This is one story where the author takes us into the dark side of the human psyche and into the world of brutal killings….

“Cold Heart” is attention grabbing…I loved it…well-done

review 2020-03-28 04:26
Audio Review: Lucky Inheritance (Inherit Love) by McKenna James (author), Patricia Satomasso (narrator), Sean Patrick Hopkins (narrator)
Lucky Inheritance (Inherit Love) - McKenna James,Sean Patrick Hopkins,Patricia Santomasso

Hopkins and Satomasso are quite a pair. From heart palpitations to the ever present frustration, they refused to hold back on the chemistry. Their delivery is flameworthy. McKenna James dishes out the emotions with her ever present flair and as always I was easily hooked. Lucky Inheritance sets emotions ablaze with passion, heart and humor.

review 2020-02-04 15:35
Satisfying Satire
The Heap - Sean Adams

The Heap by Sean Adams is recalls the type of winking political and societal satire presented in works by Vonnegut and Pyncheon, or in the film “Brazil” by Terry Gilliam.  Adam’s novel wittily reflects the mindlessness and vapidity of our modern age within an alternative universe controlled by a corrupt bureaucracy that takes advantage of people’s worst tendencies.  The story is simple but unusual- Orville is a man searching for his brother among the ruins of a collapsed building.  “Los Verticalés” was originally designed as a type of utopian community, an enormous ever-expanding tower meant to provide everything people would need for existence within one self-contained structure. The Heap takes place after the building’s inevitable collapse, becoming a tale of the stalled rescue of the lone survivor of the tragedy, Bernard.  Orville’s brother is still within the rubble, broadcasting continuously from his radio station and taking calls from the outside. The building’s original architects have enlisted people to conduct the search as they also unearth and sell off salvageable items. A whole community has sprung up around the effort, including: the diggers and an administrative support system; small businesses to provide amenities; and a band of people who once lived in the tower, having escaped the tragedy by not being home when the collapse occurred.  These are the “displaced,” who write about what life was like in Los Verticalés, providing the reader some vital background information about the social experiment. Most of The Heap consists of Adams describing how the evolved community has established its own routines and fallen into a state of passive ennui over time.  Lydia, one of Orville’s dig partners, is the only character who possesses political ambitions and is therefore consistently frustrated by the reluctance of others to change or put forth extra effort. Other secondary characters become allegories for human adaptation to loss and the drive toward comfort even if freedom must be sacrificed.  It takes a bit too long, but eventually events occur that shake up the plodding existence of the Heap and its inhabitants- challenging them to stand up to the menacing corporate cabal that wants them to continue succumbing to their stupor.  Orville, with his uniquely emotional connection to the place, is responsible for rebelling against the underlying power structure. His reluctant awareness and subsequent actions result in some unexpected and humorous ripple effects.  Strange and sometimes slow-paced, The Heap is an interesting experiment in storytelling.  Though probably not universally appealing, readers who are searching for something unique, smile-provoking and subtly pointed would do well to give this new novel a try.

Thanks to the author, William Morrow and Library Thing for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

review 2020-01-17 17:10
Less: Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2018 - Andrew Sean Greer

I have no idea how I feel about this. I wasn't super impressed. I liked it okay but not enough to say "here, you have to read this" to anyone. Less was borderline spineless, always getting cut off mid sentence and never standing up for himself. And then the ending was like How I Met Your Mother. Really? That's how this all ends? Bah.

review 2019-12-08 05:15
The setting for “What Lies Beneath” the first book...
What Lies Beneath - Sean Crisden,RJ Scott

in RJ Scott’s ‘Lancaster Falls’ series is of course the small town of Lancaster Falls and as is often the case with small towns it is rife with interesting characters each one having their own secrets leaving the reader to wonder who are you? How much do you really know? And how are you involved? Small towns you’ve gotta’ love ‘em!

When Sawyer Wiseman left Lancaster Falls to become a police officer in the big city of Chicago returning home broken and battered wasn’t a part of the plan but we all know life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans and that’s what happened to Sawyer. So now he finds himself back in the town he grew up in working for the Sheriff’s Department with a boss whose actions are often questionable at best telling him to go out to the Dwyer cabin and check on the person who’s taken up residence in it.

Sawyer expects to find an elderly recluse not Chris Lassiter a hot young author of horror stories whos struggling with writer’s block who’s more than a little bit interested in the sexy, small town deputy sheriff standing on his doorstep. Now all Chris needs to do is convince Sawyer that what he thinks is a bad idea could actually turn out to be the best thing that’s ever happened to either one of them.

Even when Sawyer begins to acknowledge that he’s interested in seeing where things can go between them it becomes a bigger challenge than either man has anticipated with the demands of Sawyer’s job rapidly increasing, as well the pressure on Chris to produce the next bestselling book in his popular horror series is increasing as his time to meet this deadline runs out.

Sawyer and Chris both quickly realize that in spite of the fact, that circumstances should be pulling them apart they seem to be turning to each other with increasing frequency.

I was absolutely crazy for this story when I read the e-book…even if I did get left looking over the edge of a cliff. Still when the opportunity was presented to listen to the story on audio I jumped on it especially when I learned that Sean Crisden was the narrator. Mr. Crisden is one of my absolute favorite narrators. I know when I get a book narrated by him that even if I’m not totally enchanted with the story I’m not going to have an issue with the narration no, in fact I can rest assured that even the worst of stories will become tolerable and as was the case here a story that I already knew I loved just became a whole lot better and more enjoyable.

While I have by no means read every book written by this author, I can honestly say it’s not from lack of desire or willing to do so…sadly, sometimes real life just doesn’t always let us do things as quickly as we’d like to, but for me this one has a bit more of a darker undertone to it than what we usually see from Ms Scott, but I can also say that for as much as I’ve loved her other books that I’ve read, this is definitely one of my favorites and I honestly can’t wait to continue with this series and learn what’s going to happen next.

************************

An audiobook of  “What Lies Beneath” was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.