logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Second-Chances
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-11 15:19
Borrowing Trouble (A Nugget Romance Book 6) - Stacy Finz
Heating Up - Stacy Finz
Falling Hard - Stacy Finz
Riding High - Stacy Finz

Tempting Fate (Nugget #10)Nugget #10, I don't know if I ever said it in one of my reviews but I know I thought that I wouldn't care if Raylene ever got her own HEA, but I'm glad she did. She's the person everyone loves to hate and she finally meets someone who sees behind all the shine and snootiness and saw the head strong determined woman who regrets everything she did to the town she once loved; especially hurting the two people who loved her the most and now she's lost everything. She can't forgive herself because the town won't forgive her. I think this is one of those books that is best when you've read the other books in the series, but Raylene does have some flashbacks of her worst moments that fill in the blanks, or you can read Getting Lucky and Falling Hard those are the two with her story in them.

Gabe Moretti runs a business with Raylene's half brother, Logan. Logan asks Gabe to keep an eye on Raylene since she's not the most loved person in Nugget he wants to make sure she stay out of trouble and had back-up if she needs it. Gabe has heard the rumors about Raylene and it's not hard for him to believe it all but he finds it hard that the people from a the town that so far has been welcome and inviting can hate someone so much. Raylene has two things she wants to accomplish after Logan and Annie's wedding before she can finally move on from Nugget and never look back, find the gold her ancestor buried and sell off the last remaining plot of her family's land. After she finds her gold and sells off the land she can give the women's shelter she's been volunteering at the money they need to stay open and finally have enough start up money to start her own horse training ranch. But she has to find the gold first and Gabe insists on helping. Little things keep happening that raises suspicion that Raylene isn't the only ones out there looking for the gold.

Overall, this was a really good read. It was emotional not only between Raylene and Gabe but between her and the town she did some pretty low and horrible things and you can tell how much she regrets do them it really showed how much Raylene had changed since the beginning. The end was very exciting. I was surprised by how quickly the whole town flipped on their feelings for Raylene but hate isn't the opposite of love and they all loved her once they just needed something to love her for that was enough to forgive her of her past sins.

review 2018-10-31 13:13
REVIEW BY MERISSA - Taking Chances: A Male/Male Novella Collection by Robin Covington
Taking Chances: A Male/Male Novella Collection - Robin Covington

Taking Chances is a set of three novellas, all dealing with love where you have to take a chance. All three of these stories are only quick snippets as they are novellas. I do think (and it could have already happened!) that all three could go onto to be a fully fledged novel, rather than a novella.

The stories are all heart-warming in their own way, although there is angst and suspense within each one. The characters are well-rounded, and have their own foibles. There isn't much world-building involved as they are all contemporary, but that just means the focus can be on the characters rather than the scenery.

I enjoyed each story and would definitely read more by this author. Definitely recommended by me.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: archaeolibrarian.wixsite.com/website/single-post/2018/10/31/Taking-Chances-A-MaleMale-Novella-Collection-by-Robin-Covington
review 2018-07-14 05:43
On the Divinity of Second Chances ★☆☆☆☆
On the Divinity of Second Chances - Kaya McLaren

I hate first person present tense. Even worse, though, is a story told from the alternating viewpoints of five separate characters, when all five use first person present tense. ALL FIVE. The only exception is the opening passage, which is written from the moon’s (literally, the moon) POV… in third person present tense. Hell, for all I know, we are also treated to the dog and the imaginary friend as narrators in first person present tense, but I only got to page 37 before I closed the book and threw it across the room at the garbage can.

Paperback, which has been sitting unread on my bookshelf for so long that I no longer remember when or why I even bought it. I suspect it was a recommendation from the (now defunct) Books on the Nightstand podcast.

review 2018-07-12 13:13
The Year of Taking Chances - Lucy Diamond

Gemma Bailey loves her life. She is still madly in love with her husband Spencer and has a beautiful house to raise her two children in. Caitlin has returned to her childhood home to sort through the belongings of her mum, who has recently died. Saffron is growing tired of life in London and has lots of thinking to do. All come together by accident at Gemma’s New Years Eve party. Life begins to throw obstacles at the three women and as they tackle these problems their friendship grows.

This is the first Lucy Diamond book I have read but it won’t be the last. This was a fun, comforting read, perfect to curl up with and get lost in. I liked all of the characters, though if I’m honest Spencer did grate on my nerves on occasion. All three main leads were likeable and individual. I enjoyed following all of the separate stories and seeing how their lives interacted. My favourite character by far though was Bunty, Saffron’s initially annoying client. I can see a spin off story with her as the lead and Gemma, Caitlin and Saffron as supporting cast.

Each chapter focusses on one of the characters and I found this to be a great technique as it allowed the reader to see how the story of each woman impacted themselves and the others and made the story rounder.

Yes I guessed every part of the storyline before it appeared on the page. Sometimes that’s something that can spoil a story but I didn’t care. It was an enjoyable journey watching the story get there. One I hope to take again with Lucy’s other novels.

review 2018-04-18 13:44
Chances - Jackie Collins

I probably shouldn't love this book because it's so crass and trashy and much longer than it really could have been, but I do love it and I have decided that is all I'm going to say. A great rollercoaster ride!