logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Series
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-20 17:15
Sinister (Shaye Archer #2) by Jana DeLeon
Sinister (Shaye Archer Series) (Volume 2) - Jana Deleon

Shaye's friend Hustle is worried about a friend of his that has gone missing. He knows that no one is going to care about a bunch of street kids, but Shaye may be his only hope. As these two do their best to figure out what is going on, and who is taking these kids, things get more dangerous. Shaye's friend at the police station also has a case that may be related to Shaye's case, so they do what they can to work together to figure out what is going on.

This book was really good. It had a great dose of mystery, and thrill in it as well. I thought it was pretty awesome, and seriously sick at times. The bad guys in this book were some crazy twisted people, and I'm starting to wonder if we haven't even heard the worst of it yet.

This book also gave us some clues about Shaye's past, and the fact that we will probably learn more in the next book, so I'm super excited for that.

review 2017-08-20 03:39
Fish and Ghosts by Rhys Ford - My Thoughts
Fish and Ghosts - Rhys Ford

I can always count on Rhys to give me a good read and this time was no different.  This is one of her earlier books and it shows some in the writing.  To me it's fascinating to watch an author's progress at improving their craft, but I have to admit that I'm thrilled that Rhys has gotten over the need to use epithets in her writing.  If I had read the words "the blond" one more time, I think I might have screamed!  *LOL*  We know... we KNOW that Travis has blond hair, for heaven's sake!  And you know, most readers are smart enough to discern the differences between the two 'he's' in the story.  So, being as that's a pet peeve of mine, it did kind of impede me enjoyment of the story.

For my money, I could have done with sexytimes scenes being of shorter length (I mean.. almost 2 chapters long at one point?  And long chapters?) and a bit more meat to the paranormal aspects of the story.  I found that I wanted to know more about the personalities and characters of Travis and Wolf other than that they set each other on fire.  :)

It's an interesting world that Rhys has set up and I'm looking forward to reading more about it in the second book which I also have in the TBR.  I hope we get to learn more about Wolf's family and childhood and then more about Tristan's childhood as well.  Oh! And I really like the new covers on these books.  Far better than the generic men people that tend to populate a lot of the m/m book covers.

review 2017-08-19 16:21
New Adult angst
After I Fall - Jessica Scott

Parker has had it with following her father and fiancé's orders, she wants to break free. When the offer of an internship leads her to the hot new bar The Pint, it's the owner who may be the chance of a lifetime.
Eli is out of the Army but you can't take the Army out of the man. His bar has become a haven for vets and as their pseudo commander, he watches over them all. When a high society miss, who he turned down the night before, comes in wanting the internship, he knows his world is about to be shaken up.

After I Fall, is the third installment of the Falling series. I haven't read the previous books and never felt lost, there are obvious previous characters and I think our hero and heroine are in the others but their romance starts here. Even though Parker and Eli are in their mid-twenties and thirties, this had a very New Adult feel to it. Each chapter is a pov change between the two, which is not a personal favorite of mine. The author did the changes fairly frequently, even in the middle of scenes, which had a tendency to break the scene for me and give a stop and go feel, keeping me out of the flow.

Parker was our poor little rich girl and Eli our bad boy soldier. This story was very trope heavy but every once in a while, there was a hint of nuances with the two that made them stand out a little bit. Parker has an abusive boyfriend and a rich daddy who doesn't pay attention to her but her business knowledge, she's trying to get into Grad school for her MBA, pops up to blow Eli out of the water with how he should market his business. Eli seems very still waters run deep but I didn't feel like we ever really got to dive into him. His big secret isn't revealed until around the 80% mark and while it was laid out, we never got the time to emotionally invest in it. However, the issues with how alienated soldiers feel when they return to civilian life and the complexity of how to manage and live with their emotions from living through war were dropped in here and there. The nuances are there but they weren't delved into or weaved in enough to become felt.

I couldn't help but feel slightly annoyed with Parker, her issue is written in a way that the heart of it seems to be that she simply won't go against her father's directives because then she'd have to pay rent for her own apartment; the father and fiancé villain characters were very underdeveloped. It's brought up that she tried to rebel once with a friend but once again, it's dropped in but never flushed out so we're left not really thinking much of it or getting an emotional impact from it. I had a hard time believing in Eli and Parker's relationship, the focuses is pretty much on them being angst-y sexually attracted to each other with Parker thinking the whole time she'll have to marry her fiancé and Eli thinking he could never be good enough for her.

The author has created a series with a handful of characters with deep troubled issues but the lack of depth and emotionally weaving them into the story hurt this installment. I believe Parker and Eli were sexually attracted to each other but not sure I buy into their long-term relationship.

review 2017-08-19 15:57
Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three: The Lady of Shadows
Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three: Lady of Shadows - Peter David,Jonathan Marks,Robin Furth

All I can seem to muster up about this entry is "meh." I'm not crazy about the artwork or the story.

Maybe it's is because I'm also re-reading the books via audio and recently finished The Song of Susanna and I'm just  plain Odetta'd out? I'll admit this is very possible.

I have the next entry in the series on hand and I'll see how it goes with that.

review 2017-08-18 19:31
Started Off Strong and Just Got Lost in Too Many Coincidences
Beach Lawyer (Beach Lawyer Series) - Avery Duff

I really think this series has some potential if the author, Avery Duff, can keep the plot a lot more tight in the next book.

"Beach Lawyer" follows Robert Worth. Robert has been working for a very prestigious law firm for five years and is given the nod that he is about to become a partner. Even though he finds the actions of one of the partners, Jack Pierce, to be personally distasteful, he thinks that he has more than shown the firm his worth. Things go great til Robert ends up flaming out when he is verbally pushed by Pierce. When Robert realizes that he is getting blackballed in town, he decides the best thing to do is take on Pierce.

I honestly think the first half of the book was really good. I loved how Duff developed Worth. Heck, I even liked how Worth got his first client/assistant. But then the wheels came off and all of these things are being revealed about secondary characters and things got confusing. We even have some reveals about Robert that I honestly didn't care about.

I would say this book tried very hard to be "The Firm" and then it just turned into a Lifetime Movie. There are way too many coincidences to be believed after a while.

I would suggest for future books it may be better to make sure that the legalese gets turned down a bit. You definitely realize Duff knows what he is talking about. But after a while I felt like I was drowning in legal minutiae and I just didn't care.

The flow which started off very well just jumped back and forth til the end. I didn't know who I was supposed to care about, who was a hero, who was a villain, etc.

The book ending fell very flat. I think I am supposed to intuit that some of these characters are going to pop up in the next book, but am stretching my brain to see how anyone but Robert should return.