logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Series
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-27 19:59
Some Kind of Hero by Suzanne Brockmann
Some Kind of Hero: A Troubleshooters Novel - Suzanne Brockmann

2.5 stars

When Shay recognizes the crazy man trying to flag down a car as her sexy Navy SEAL neighbor, she pulls over and thus begins the ride of her life.
Peter is desperate to find his daughter and when he thinks he sees her get into a van, he knows this is his chance to get her. After an unsuccessful car chase, he finds surprising help from his neighbor.
Drug deals gone bad, the pain of loss, hurtful memories, and relationships being born and mended, Shay and Peter have quite the journey ahead of them.

The nineteenth installment in the long popular Troubleshooters series, this can be read as a standalone, as long as you don't mind missing out on the numerous in and outs of the wide cast characters. Our main couple, Shay and Peter, along with a small secondary romance involving Peter’s daughter and her older guy friend, starts fresh here so you wouldn't miss out on any details there. One of the strengths of Ms. Brockmann's stories is her ability to juggle and incorporate characters, romance, and storylines. Those components were numerous here but I'm not sure they were all pulled off.

Our hero's daughter, Maddie, is coming to live with him after her mother died; she's fifteen and hasn't seen her father in years. This is due to Peter being a Navy SEAL and what appears to be a mother who wanted to somewhat color Peter in a less than flattering light. Maddie gets caught up in a missing ten thousand dollars owed to a drug dealer and takes off to find her friend, who got her into trouble, with the friend's ex-boyfriend. This situation simply felt too forced, Maddie has a Navy SEAL father, yes, she's a sullen teenager of fifteen and doesn't have a strong relationship with him, but her life was threatened, it was a stretch to think she would take off on her own. The author provides us an outline of how mature Maddie is in some aspects, taking care of her mother and having more common sense than the twenty year old she is with, and flips the coin to show how immaturely she thinks her father is "stupid". It felt like the author was trying to have it both ways to force the storyline the way she wanted. As this is the backbone for the book, it set-up a wobbly premise with me that I don't think the story ever overcame.

Our heroine is a romance writer and when we are first introduced to her, one of her characters likes to "speak" to her and had her continuously saying "shh" out loud. It levels off as the story continues but I personally found it somewhat intrusive, I'm trying to get to know the "real" characters in the beginning, and annoying, Shay's speaking out loud to a fictional character gave a tint of corniness. I also found it a bit odd her full throttle willingness to involve herself in Peter's situation but romantic suspense usually requires a bit of lenience. Shay's character as a whole, though, was fun, capable, interesting, and someone I'd definitely want as a friend.

Peter's attitude and actions had him coming off as a genuine good guy, with a wonderful dash of wit and charisma. There was a lack of usual rom suspense action (until the very end) that had me missing him showcasing his special ops skills. He wonderfully wears his dress whites but that's almost the full extent we get of any Navy SEAL-ness. His and Shay's romance is a whirlwind that takes place over 5-6 days, so insta-lust/love does play a part here.

In order to bring Peter and Maddie together, the author has Peter tell Shay how Maddie's mother and he got together. It's a sweet way to bond father and daughter but having it go through Shay, she types up the story segments and sends them to Maddie, had it feeling a little weird and not coming off quite right. I would have liked to have Shay and Peter bonding moments over the inclusion of these stories.

Overall, this had the multi-faceted, all inclusive plethora of characters and storyline offshoots Ms. Brockmann excels at but I also did feel the romance was lacking and I missed a bit more action. If you're a Troubleshooters reader, you'll probably enjoy seeing past cast members and everyone won't want to miss Peter and Shay try to "myth bust" one of her book's sex scenes.

review 2017-06-27 18:32
Giveaway & Review – Seeds of Eden by A P Watson @apwatsonauthor @XpressoReads
Seeds of Eden - Richard A. Watson

Seeds of Eden by A P Watts has an awesome cover, which made the book jump out at me. I have seen other covers by this designer and she does a fabulous job.

Cover by Regina Wamba with MaeIDesign and Photography

Seeds of Eden
A.P. Watson
(The Concilium, #1)
Publication date: January 25th 2017
Genres: New Adult, Paranormal, Romance

MY REVIEW

I will admit I love YA stories, even though sometimes they can fall a little flat in the excitement department. Seeds of Eden by A P Watson is one of those stories, but the opening pages did grab me and make me want to know Evey’s story. I wanted to know what’s going on, what will happen next.

I love storylines like Seeds of Eden. Time travel? Reincarnation?

Evey’s light in the darkness. More than a symbol of love and hope.

Evey is a regular teenage girl in her senior year, with all the normal hopes and desires. She loves history and I wonder…

I love her best friend, Caroline, especially when she says things like…

“It’s like I always say, we’re best friends because we hate all the same people.”

Seeds of Eden is a romance, a love story that is eternal…Infinite.

It is YA all the way. I would have liked more depth…Her feelings for her situation, realizing who she really is and the fact that someone would die to protect her were glossed over. I wanted more details.

I liked the story, but it is repetitious and drags sometimes. I kept waiting for something to happen, instead of just hem hawing her way through the relationship with Conrad. Yes, no, yes, no…

Seeds of Eden does not stand alone and I do want to read the rest of their story. I want to see how everything pans out for them in this trilogy and for that reason I do recommend the series.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more and enter the giveaway here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/giveaway-review-seeds-of-eden-by-a-p-watson-apwatsonauthor-xpressoreads
review 2017-06-27 14:05
Review: Kiss My Boots (Coming Home #2) by Harper Sloan
Kiss my Boots - Harper Sloan

In this second of the sultry, Western-set Coming Home series from New York Times bestselling author Harper Sloan, Quinn Davis might finally have a shot at her own happily-ever-after—but will she let love in, or will she tell it to go ahead and kiss her boots?

Quinn Davis prefers to live her life quietly. She’s the stereotypical tomboy with two overprotective big brothers who have always been there to protect her, especially from devilishly handsome cowboys with silver tongues. That is, until Tate Montgomery comes riding into town. Their first meeting, however, is far from something out of a fairy tale and only further convinces Quinn that men aren’t worth her time.

The only place Tate Montgomery ever truly felt at home growing up was during the long, sweltering summer months he spent at his Gram and Paw’s farm in Pine Oak, Texas. Now, Tate has returned to his childhood sanctuary seeking a fresh start—but if he’s being entirely honest, he’s not just back for the wranglers and Stetsons. During those summers, Quinn was a friend-turned-young-love who Tate lost when life threw him a curveball and he cut all ties to his past; but all it takes is one glance at the raven-haired beauty he did his best to forget for him to realize just how much he’s been missing….

This is the second book in the Coming Home series but it can be easily read as a standalone. But it helps to have read the first book to know all the people we meet along the way.

I liked Quinn in book one and was really looking forward to read her book.  And it did not disappoint. I like Quinn now even. She is not your typical, while she is still very girlie she also is very much a tomboy. She is a bada$$ and still super soft and lovely, Also very funny and knows what she wants.

Tate, I thought it would take me a while to like him but NO. I liked him right away. I lobed that we get his story fairly early and that he just straight out tells everyone what was happening and what he wants for his future.

I liked them separate and I liked them together ever more. I liked that they started out slow again.  It was everything I love, funny, sweet and yet sexy smexy hot with a hint of obstacle to overcome.

I also enjoyed that we still get to see the last couple Leigh and Mav and how they are doing without taking over this book. Of course we get some of Jana’s humor in this book as well and it was great. The tiny insight into Mark and Janie was also great.

I cannot wait to read the last and final book and see Clay getting his HEA.

Oh and the songs, Harper Sloan adds in the beginning to each chapter make a great playlist matching the chapters and the book.

I highly enjoyed this book and rate it a full 5 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available July 18th  2017

harper1

Harper is a NEW YORK TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL and USA TODAY bestselling author residing in Georgia with her husband and three daughters. She has a borderline unhealthy obsession with books, hibachi, tattoos and Game of Thrones. When she isn't writing you can almost always find her with a book in hand.

Links

Facebook *** Website *** Twitter *** Instagram *** Pinterest *** Goodreads *** Amazon Author Page

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-kiss-boots-coming-home-2-harper-sloan
review 2017-06-27 08:23
Book Review For: The Sinners Touch by Apryl Baker
The Sinners Touch (A Manwhore Series) (Volume 2) - Apryl Baker

3.5 Stars
'The Sinners Touch' by Apryl Baker is book Two in the "Manwhore" series. This is the story of Kade and Angelique. I have read the first book "Touch Me Not" which was really great..but this is easily a standalone book.
Kade is an FBI agent who has come to town to look into a serial killer case. Which lands him back in front of Angelique who he once had a relationship with. Back in the day when he was just starting out as a Cop he went undercover and befriend Angelique brother. There he and Angelique dated and married but when he ended up arresting Angelique brother everything when bad. Kade said some awful things to her and just left.
Now in the present day we learn that Angelique happens to see the serial killer and he is now after her. Kade comes forward to protect her and he knows now is his second chance to win her back. But can Angelique trust him again?
I had a few issues with this book so I am bouncing back between 3.5 stars and 4 stars. I loved the writing and fell in love with the first book so much so I had to read this book right after it.
But this book I just had an issue with Kade who said he forgot that he was married. Granted he was undercover back then, but when he first meets Angelique in the present day, he calls her his wife and tells her that he used his real name in the wedding. That period of their lives was very traumatic and I am sure he would like to forget but I just can't get past that.
Overall this was a great read that I didn't put down...I had to know who things went.
"My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read."

Source: www.amazon.com/Sinners-Touch-Manwhore-Book-ebook/dp/B06ZZ83HNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495991529&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Sinners+Touch
review 2017-06-27 08:20
Book Review For: 'Touch Me Not' By Apryl Baker
Touch Me Not (The Manwhore Series) (Volume 1) - Apryl Baker

'Touch Me Not' By Apryl Baker is book One in the "Manwhore" series. This is the story of Lily Holmes and Nikoli Kinkaid.
Lily father was a race car driver who died in one of his races when she was young. Lily was very close to her father and he taught her allot about cars. So when he past she became very destructive at an early age which later cause the death of her sister. From then on she has issue with people touching her which has impacted her relationship with her best friend Adam. Lily thinks she is in love with him but he only sees her as a little sister. When she meets Nikoli who is attending the same College as her and Adam, he comes on to her. But Lily knows Nikoli has a reputation as a 'Manwhore' and she had to clean up a few of his mess when he was done with the girl. But he convinces her to go out with him. Nikoli doesn't do relationships and one night is all a lady gets but when Lily says no to him he sees this as a challenge. But on that date he learns about Lily phobia and that her feelings lay with Adam. They come to a agreement type bet that he will help her learn to allow him to touch her so that she can get over her phobia. If he can do that than she will sleep with him. But she turns the table and makes it that he can't sleep with anyone else for 3 months and if he does she gets his car that he loves so much.
This is my first book by Ms. Baker but It won't be my last. I stayed up all night reading this book because I couldn't put it down...then moved on to the next book in this series. So happy to found this Author's work!
"My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read."

Source: www.amazon.com/Touch-Me-Not-Manwhore-Book-ebook/dp/B014ERRJBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495990459&sr=8-1&keywords=%27Touch+Me+Not%27+By+Apryl+Baker