logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Sharon-Gosling
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-06-12 08:00
The Ruby Airship
The Ruby Airship - Sharon Gosling

This turned out to be the sequel to another book, The Diamond Thief, that I hadn't read. And although it usually doesn't really matters, I felt at the beginning that I was missing large parts of what was going on. My bad, of course, but I would certainly recommend reading the first book first (even though I didn't).

Remy is a French circus artist/diamond thief who has now settled for an easier life in London, when she's called back to France to rejoin her best friend and her circus.

It was a very, very fast read, not in the least because of the somewhat gigantic amount of white space on every paper. I mean, I read 140 pages when I went to donate blood plasm (which takes a little over half an hour). I don't usually read THAT fast, but it was as if I was constantly swiping pages.

Besides, it was quite enjoyable. Not really memorable or anything special, but enjoyable nonetheless. Remy came across as the somewhat annoying and immature girl, who didn't understand too much of the world. The rest of the characters all fell a bit too well in their roles. The shady mysterious guy is very shady and mysterious. The kid from the slum turns out to be some kind of genius (I've definitely not seen that before </sarcasm>). And as in Harry Potter, just to name one of the many possibilities, there's this important story that is supposedly so very famous, but the characters still need the tale to be told. Yeah, that.

While quite nice and a very fast read, it didn't blow me away, and I'm not really sure what to think about it.

The Ruby Airship is the second book in the Diamond Thief series. The first book is called The Diamond Thief.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2014-09-11 00:00
The Diamond Thief
The Diamond Thief - Sharon Gosling Received an ARC from NetGalley.

Mild spoilers

This was a very interesting take on circus carnies. I definitely enjoyed reading this story.

Remy was a sweet girl put into a rough situation. No family, no friends and poor. She joined the circus to feel that kind of "safety". The circus however was simply a group of hidden thieves. Remy was the best thief that circus had. One night she is called by the Master to go and survey the Ocean Light Diamond to steal it. Why? The Diamond has a curse placed on him and her lineage. Without the diamond the curse cannot be broken. When she goes to survey the diamond she is thrown into an opportunity of luck, or so she thought and things take a quick turn.

Thaddeus was a young copper who grew up on the streets. When he is left responsible for the diamond and it goes missing he is blamed for it and wanted to for theft. He searches out for Remy, but when they meet up he learns that not only did Remy not have the diamond but an unlikely Lord stole the diamond. Now they must retrieve and work together.

I love the romance the built up between Thaddeus and Remy. It was slow and patient. The perfect pace for this story.

I love that this takes place in London and the writing went extremely well with the setting. I felt apart of the story every turn of the page. I love how the Indian culture is intertwined along with the Indian characters. Amazing combination.

I totally loved the Professor and J. They seemed to be very essential secondary characters to this story and helped it move a bit faster. Lord Abernathy is a cruel man. I totally dislike him! He seemed sweet until the truth of the stolen diamond is discovered and then missing people -- he is a heartless man.

That ending was amazing! I'm trying to figure out how she was able to do it without leaving a trace behind.

I definitely enjoyed this novel and plan to read the sequel soon.
review 2014-07-02 00:00
The Diamond Thief
The Diamond Thief - Sharon Gosling Review to come..
review SPOILER ALERT! 2014-05-13 21:19
The Diamond Thief - Sharon Gosling

(I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

A fast read, and one of those books I wish I had liked more (Victorian London + circus + thief + mechanical inventions: what's not to like in there, really?), but also one that didn't convince me in the end, unfortunately.

Things I liked: the steampunk side, light enough to be understandable by basically everyone, younger readers included. It has a touch of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (in that stones/jewels play an important part), though it doesn't go further than that, and makes use of machinery whose concepts are easy to grasp, such as experimental night-vision goggles. Not the most creative I've ever seen, but a nice introduction nonetheless.

On the other hand, I found the backdrop fairly light, too—not a good thing. I never really got the feeling of a real circus, nor of Victorian mores. I think this could apply to several other aspects of the novel, in fact: it brushed against them, without ever diving deep enough for me to feel immersed. I could sense this most specifically with the characters. At first, I found them interesting, but they were never developed enough to hold my attention until the end, nor make me care about them. (And there definitely were interesting ideas in here, such as the unlikely trapeze artist/thief + young cop duo, the Professor with his inventions, the mysterious Lord...) Also, I didn't like the romance at all. I couldn't feel any chemistry within this couple, it seemed like a plot device to add some drama, and there were a few very melodramatic scenes that made me roll my eyes and want to slap those characters. Somehow, it moved too quickly, too superficially.

The plot itself seemed to rest on a lof of deus ex machina, predictable twists, and events inserted for convenience. I would've been more enthralled if Rémy and Thaddeus had had to really investigate, which in turn would have given them time to talk, get to know each other better; I guess this would have made the romance more palatable for me, as well as enhanced the strong points of their pairing, in terms of skills. Another thing I had a hard time with were a couple of plot points. First, the opal's role. One of the characters says that

it would allow Rémy to hear other people's thoughts,

(spoiler show)

yet I never got the purpose of that specific thread. Is there a second book in the writing? If there isn't, then I don't see the point. Same with

the curse:

(spoiler show)

couldn't Gustave tell Rémy about it way earlier than that, considering how involved she was, and how she was the one tasked with stealing the stone?

I suppose it could work as a very light read, or for really young readers (things never go further than a brief kiss in the romance department), but for me it didn't.

review 2014-04-04 00:41
ARC review The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling
The Diamond Thief - Sharon Gosling

I got this ARC from Netgalley and this is my honest review of it.

Remy Brunel is a trapeze artist but she also has a secret profession wich is not considered exactly respectable namely that of jewel thief,wich she steals on order from her master Gustave.

Thaddeus Rec is our other viewpoint character a young detective at Scotland Yard and his next assignment is also her next target- the Darya Noor a splendid diamondwich is currenlty exhibitied at the Tower.

During her reconnaise of the exhibit there is a chaotic event when diamond briefly vanishes but Thaddeus retrieves but lose it again when but Remy manages to swipe it from him and bring it back to the leader of the Circus Gustave only to be told that its a fake and to realize she was duped.

Thaddeus ends up accused to have been in on the heist by his superiors and taken away to a cell. He is lucklu rescued by his friend the Professor and manages to meet up with Remy again. The professor convinces them that they need to work together to recover the real Darya Noor from the man he believe have it. They grudgingly accept.

Reading this gave me the same feeling as when I was reading Y.S Lee "The Agency" it might be set in the Victorian era but its mainly superficial with the barest requisites. Its essentially a wallpaper historical.

He seemed only to just have noticed her change of clothes

"What not smart enough for you"

He looked away "Just surprised youd chose to wear that thing.I thought most women hated them"

She grinned glancing down at her corset. "Well" she said "I am not most women Besides I think it suits me "

Thaddeus dropped back into his chair "I never said it didnt" he muttered almost too low for her to hear

Good grief

I just felt very disinterested in the story it doesnt slowly unveil itself by Thaddeus and Remy investigating,they just fall into situations and then have the whole explained to them. The writing and actions of the characters feels childish and predictable

Here is what I learnt about Remy,shes french,shes a trapeze artist/jewel thief but these are only superficial qualities. I never felt like I got to know her personality or what her motivations were.

Also I think I lost it a little bit when its declared that Remy is considered the best jewel thief in all of Europe. She is 15 years old. Are you trying to sell me the idea that a 15 year old managed to build up a reputation like that,so when did she start? Age 10? 12?

And then when Remy first encounters Thaddeus she thinks of him as a boy (its stated hes 2 years older than her) but later he is described as a young man. But from what we comes to know of his character those two years doesnt add much to make him more mature than Remy. I felt like these two had been shoehorned into roles that would have been more believable if they were in their 20s.

Things just come so conveniently to them. For some reason a street urchin knows about secret tunnels under a lords house.The professor has a big trunk of womens clothing when Remy needs something to wear. That sort of thing.

Then the author introduces a curse into the story a curse that will keep from Remy holding on to love. So not only is the burgeoning romance very forced the author tries to add drama to it to make it an impossible love.

But honestly I never felt this connection between Remy and Thaddeus it just came on too fast from not trusting each other to her embracing him.

The steampunk element in the setting is not prevalent throughout the storys setting much if you dont count the Professors inventions and in the plans of the villain.

And he has a villainous laugh and a predictable plan.

I struggled to finish this.