logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Shona-Husk
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-09 01:37
Lady of Silver (Blood & Silver) - Shona Husk

Saba runs a magic shop but also uses her gift as a psychic which brings her to the attention of the local   P D. Saba has helped the P D before and now a young woman had been found murdered with her blood drained and  the P D. turns to Saba for answers. A co-worker recommended Saba to Dale.  Dale is a detective and reluctantly goes to Saba who he believes is a fake. Saba is an Albah which is a race long forgotten by humans but were still around. Saba’s power is fueled by blood and silver. Saba can use blood for readings and silver for small things like healing and warding. Saba proves to Dale she is the real thing  by telling facts from just a small amount of the victims blood. Dale did break a small protective barrier Saba had by Dale’s belief and the killer knew who she was and would be after Saba. The vampire leader.  can use blood to create bonds with his followers. It creates a bond when Saba does the reading for Dale Saba couldn’t tell Dale all she knew as she had secrets to protect and a lot he simply wouldn’t believe. Saba was attracted to Saba and she to him even though he resisted it. Dale believes she was murdered by the leader of a cult of wannabe vampires. But the killer left no clues for the police to find.  As Saba and Dale’s relationship heated up Saba wonders if she can keep who and what she is from Dale. Albah uses silver for small things but once an Albah is turned to a vampire silver is deadly to them.

I  had mixed feelings on this book. I felt it had a good plot. I liked the different scenario on vampires and witches. It did pretty much keep my interest. This was a short read. I didn’t like how Dale was an ass a lot. Then one conversation was suppose to change Dale’s whole outlook on psychics just don’t think so. I think the pace was too fast. I also had problems connecting with both Dale and Saba. After the way Dale was acting I think Saba was way to nice and accepting. I felt there was some unanswered questions after the book was done. I also felt the book ended to fast. So as I said I did have mixed feelings.

review 2017-06-22 21:16
Review: Warrior of Fire (Blood & Silver #2) by Shona Husk 4 out of 5 stars
Warrior of Fire - Shona Husk

This is the second installment in the Blood and Silver series. I honestly feel that this story cannot be read as a stand alone to be fully enjoyed as there are many aspects that would be missed if the first story is not read, well, first.

Leira and Julian are both part of an ancient yet almost extinct magical race called Albah. Because of prejudice and misconceptions about magic, their race has been hunted for as long as they can remember and now Julian is a target of those that want to end the Albah.

Fate plays an important role here but it’s not the focal point. The author manages to dance around it by making the characters think there is an already established path for everyone but also plays with the outcome by giving them infinite options depending on the choices people make.
In the case of Leira, and because of her magic, she knew she and Julian were supposed to meet but as the story progressed she wasn’t so sure anymore if that meant if they were supposed to be lovers or if he was just supposed to be in her life as something else. Julian knew there had to be more than magic and fate involved in their relationship because of the chemistry between them, and it was not just physical attraction but something deeper. And I definitely thanked the author for that because she didn’t go for the insta-lust here.
In the end, in spite of magic, fate, and crazy people going after them, they decided that risking it all for an uncertain but happy future was worth the risk.

The pace was a little slow for my taste but I’m willing to overlook it because I really liked this fantasy world, the complex characters and I thought this was a well-developed story.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

review 2017-03-01 03:10
ARC review: Lady of Silver (Blood and Silver, #1) by Shona Husk (4 out of 5 stars)
Lady of Silver (Blood & Silver) - Shona Husk

I've read pretty much everything this author has published in the US so I jumped at the chance to read this new series. It was a short but engaging read that I’m sure I’d have finished reading in one sitting if it hadn’t been because life got in the way.

As a detective investigating a savage murder, Dale has no other choice at the moment but to seek assistance of “psychic” Saba Venn. The only problem was he thought her to be a huge charlatan that took advantage of people that did believe in that sort of things. As an Albah, Saba knew more than she let on but she couldn’t tell Dale much because for one she had secrets to protect, and two because there wasn’t much he was willing to believe.
I liked the world setting and creatures depicted in the story. For such a short reading all characters were well developed and so was the plot. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out who the villain was and that the hero was not the typical Alpha, overbearing type of guy. I thought it was a nice change from other, longer stories.

I also thought the author made a great job creating a believable story between detective and civilian, even as the relationship changed gears to more romantic. Their attraction was there from the beginning but it was not insta-lust and even though it was a short read I never got the feeling that the romance was rushed. Even though Dale’s hesitancy and inflexible attitude put a restraint on the romance it actually gave it a sort of angst-y feeling. But don’t worry, there is a definitely a HEA and there will be more to come since this is just the introduction to the series.

review 2016-06-17 06:11
Warrior Queen (Skeleton Key) by Shona Husk
Warrior Queen - Shona Husk

Warrior Queen is part of a series called the Skeleton Key. The premise of each story is that someone finds the magical key and enters a world of magic and endless possibilities, however each story is completely different from the next and each can be read as a standalone.

In Warrior Queen we meet worn out cop Bryce Allard who after a serious mistake at work decides to leave that life behind and try something new but on the night of his last day of work he somehow ends up with the Skeleton Key and is transported to Queen Keleti’s kingdom.

Now I have to say Keleti rocked my world. She didn’t sound bossy because clearly she knew she was the boss and knew there was no need to overuse her power. She knew what she wanted and didn’t need to seduce it out of the hero to get it, she simply was. Because of her traditions she didn’t need a husband and there was no need for a king, so she basically could rule by herself but she was allowed to have a consort. I loved that she took that matter into her hands and decided when and how that was going to happen.

And Bryce, although he used to be a cop he was calm and never overbearing; never the annoying alpha that tried to overprotect "his" female. He knew his place and actually stayed out of the way when he thought it was best and help when he thought it was prudent.

If anything, Shona Husk has written some of my favorite PNR/Fantasy non-alpha heroes I’ve ever read and Bryce is one of them.

The whole idea of a magical key that opened to different worlds sounded intriguing. I would have loved for all of these keys to have a very specific purpose or to have a background story to the key but that wasn’t the case or not that I know of. As it is, this book was a semi-quick read with plenty of fantasy, action, and funny moments to keep me turning the pages. 4 stars.

** I received a copy of this story from the author in exchange for an honest review **

review 2016-04-17 16:07
The Darkling Lord - Shona Husk

Henry Saint must kill someone and take their soul every year on his birthday to exist. He was the product of a human and a grey - a banished fairy. A kiss will steal the soul Henry needs. Henry has survived over a century which is a rarity for a Darkling. He started out in poverty and worked himself up to a successful man.

There seemed to be something left unresolved by the end of this story. I really didn’t like that. Also a lot of the time this story had problems keeping my attention and I barely finished it. Just really didn’t interest me very much.

I received an ARC of this story for an honest review.