logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Shona-Husk
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-20 17:30
For the Love of a Goblin Warrior
For the Love of a Goblin Warrior (Shadowlands) - Shona Husk

The best of the trilogy! I enjoyed how the story-line wrapped up in this one. Nadine's mom was murdered and Nadine witnessed part of it. Her dad was accused of her murder and found guilty. Nadine was sent to a series of foster homes. She grows up, becomes a nurse and that is how she meets Meryn.
Meryn comes in to Nadine's ED, confused, disheveled, and speaking a foreign language no one speaks anymore. He sees empathy and compassion in Nadine. They connect. After getting care, he sets up a camp in one of the parks. Gradually, and with some help from Dai, he learns the new world. They connect again while Nadine is on a run after work.
I really liked both characters and how Nadine's background ties in with Meryn's. I thought Nadine's father was selfless in his choice to let the past go and focus on now.

review 2018-05-08 01:22
Kiss of the Goblin Prince
Kiss of the Goblin Prince: Shadowlands series - Shona Husk
I liked this better than The Goblin King. After the first, I was intrigued about Dai and wanted his story. Overall, I enjoyed the slow burn between Amanda and Dai. I wished Amanda had realized much sooner that she really wasn't living. I understand losing someone, but to not move on after it's been years, was a bit extreme.
Dai, too, took along time to get over his fears and desire for vengeance. Amanda was good at reading him and giving him some suggestions. I thought his background and abuse was dealt with well, along with his PTSD and acceptance of his body- scars, tattoos, and all.
What kept this from being a 4 was the slow-burn. There were moments that were so slow. And I wanted more of a payoff between Dai and Amanda at the end. (But I think the ending was realistic and if both were running to the alter at the end, it wouldn't have been true to their characters). And, yes, those last 2 sentences contradict each other:-)

review 2018-03-11 18:53
The Goblin King
The Goblin King - Shona Husk
After reading the novella, which I really enjoyed, I was really looking forward to this one. I was a little disappointed in this one. I enjoyed that it was different- a goblin as the romantic lead. Roan was a decent hero. I did think he was too mopey (for lack of a better word) at times.
I was disappointed in Eliza. She was very meek and passive. Yes, Steve was an asshole and I'm glad he got what was coming. But, Eliza gave him too much power for too long. I wanted Eliza to grow a pair and take charge. By the end of the book Eliza was a little better, but only a little. I just wanted more.

review 2017-12-09 04:59
Review: Maid of Ice (Blood and Silver, #3) by Shona Husk
Maid of Ice (Blood & Silver) - Shona Husk

Finley and Alina are part of an ancient magical civilization called Albah. Some call them elves, others call them witches, but in truth no one truly knows what they are or where they are from. The only thing they are certain of is that because their race is capable of creating evil creatures they are being hunted to extinction.
This is the third installment in the series but it can be read as a standalone. As I started reading the book I had the impression that one had to read the first two books in order to get the gist of this one but as the story progressed it was pretty obvious that was not necessary.
Finley is an adventurous and one could almost call cynical man that wants nothing to do with the magical family he was born into and couldn’t care less if they truly went extinct. The thing with Finley is that even though he gave up the responsibilities that came with being part of that family, he never gave up his magical gift as he always considered it an intrinsic part of himself. So, when he meets a long lost Albah that never before had the chance to experience life in the magical sense, he realizes what could be lost if all that magic is completely gone, and worst, what would happen to the family and friends he hardly gave himself a chance to meet.

Of all three books this one is by far my favorite. Not only did the author tell us more details of the world of the Albah, their Guardians, Albanex, and Keepers; but the story also gave us a more expanded view of how they interact with regular humans. I also thought there is a bit more humor in this one but that may be due to the interaction between the two main characters (there is also more sexual content so, fair warning) who are young and free and trying to survive a fight neither one of them asked to be a part of. Overall it was a great read with a unique world-building, just as the previous two books, and I do recommend it to anyone that likes PNR/UF with a different twist.

** I was gifted a copy of this book and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.**

review 2017-12-01 06:30