logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SnoopyDoo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-22 12:38
At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3) by Jeaniene Frost
At Grave's End - Jeaniene Frost

syns

It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield’s life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.

As if that wasn’t enough, a woman from Bones’s past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat’s about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she’s learned as a special agent won’t help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.

my though

This was a difficult book to review, just because there was so much going on and I really have no idea where to start.

First off this book also was an emotional roller-coaster, happy, excited, scared, sad, relieved, back to worried.

I thought Cat grows a lot in this book and finally comes to terms what she is and embraces it. While she had some truly weak moments, she was stronger than ever before. She showed what she can do and will do to protect those around her and avenge the people she loves. She showed her vampire site more and more and is becoming a vampire more than she realizes it. I think.

On a site not I really doubt that she can be the only one like her. I mean was there only ever one horny newly turned vampire?  I don’t think so, but oh well. Also if he dies a now, will she turn into a vampire without being turned? Be nice to know but I’m not in a hurry her being killed ….just yet.

In this book more things about her father come to light and things are being resolved more or less, but I really think that is not the end of if just yet.

Her mother in this book really surprised me. She also had some great comic relieve once in a while which was much needed, with this book being a bit darker than the last two

We learn more about Merches, and Ian and meet Vlad for the first time. I really love that him and Bones don’t like each other, since most of the world just seems to love Bones.

Also like that she has now trusted friends Denise and her husband, and that both of them know her and Bones “secret”.

Of course there is Cat’s team. I really love her team it is such a nice mix if people, that all balances each other out. Some I like more than others of course and then there is Tate …… I don’t know what to think of him…. One moment I love him and another I want to hurt him. He is There are also a bunch of changes in the team happening, again not really sure if I love them all. I have to see how it all plays out further to really judge it.

Bones, some big things are happening with him as well and I’m not sure how much I can say without spoiling it. But one think is for sure no matter what he will always be there for Cat and her family and do whatever it takes to protect her and them. No matter what the cost. He also can get pretty cruel, but we knew that and so does Cat but he has something he doesn’t want her to see and that kind of put a wedge between the two.

There is a lot of action, gore, suspense but also humor and romance happening.  But not all is sunshine and rainbows in the end and we lose some dear friends, not everyone makes it out alive and some were truly heartbreaking. Actually there are a few heartbreaking points in this book.

Overall I loved this book and can’t wait to see what is happening next, I rate this book 4 ½ ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Actually, Justina, I didn't just ring you to chat about what an undead murderer I was...right, degenerate whore as well. Did I ever tell you my mum was one? No? Oh, blimey, I come from a long line of whores, in fact I called to give you the good news. I asked you daughter to marry me. Now, do you want me to call you Mum straightaway, or wait until after the wedding?”

***

“I’d gone heavy on the black eye makeup until raccoons and I could pass for cousins.”

***

“Wow,” Tate whispered. “They’re fucking right on the dance floor. ”

“I see that.” There was an edge to my words.

Dave gave me a sideways grin. “Juan will cry at being stuck in the van. If he were here, he’d be screaming 'Authenticity’s imperative!' and taking his pants down.”

***

“Killing your rival doesn’t guarantee happiness. Sometimes it ruins any chance you have of it instead. Memories of dead men hold far more power than the annoyances of living ones.”

***

“Nothing else mattered but right now. This instant, I’d become the person I’d always wanted to be. Strong. Fearless. Loyal. Someone even I could be proud of.”

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/graves-end-night-huntress-3-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-03-21 17:52
The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan
The Faerie Guardian - Rachel Morgan

syns

Protecting humans from dangerous magical creatures is all in a day’s work for a faerie training to be a guardian. Seventeen-year-old Violet Fairdale knows this better than anyone—she’s about to become the best guardian the Guild has seen in years. That is, until a cute human boy who can somehow see through her faerie glamor follows her into the Fae realm. Now she’s broken Guild Law, a crime that could lead to her expulsion.

The last thing Vi wants to do is spend any more time with the boy who got her into this mess, but the Guild requires that she return Nate to his home and make him forget everything he’s discovered of the Fae realm. Easy, right? Not when you factor in evil faeries, long-lost family members, and inconvenient feelings of the romantic kind. Vi is about to find herself tangled up in a dangerous plot—and it’ll take all her training to get out alive.

my though

This was one of those book for me that I wasn’t sure if I like it or not. There were several things that I liked but also several things I disliked about the book. There was one part that made me continue read the book and later actually like it at the end. The book is very fast paced and super easy to read, I read it in a little over 5 hours and one sitting. I really enjoyed the world building and Creepy Hollow and most of the residents there. A few I’m not sure about and for good reason as it turns out in the end. It is really easy to get lost in the world of Creepy Hollow. I liked the concept of the Guild and it kind of reminded of Vampire Academy meets Shadow Hunters and I cannot wait to see and learn more about it. I was not a huge fan of Vi, she seemed a little immature at time even for YA. I also thought for someone who is on top of her class she gets her butt kicked way to many times. I know not all hero win and get the behinds kicked but it seemed to be happening to her way more plus like I said she is the top student and could have handled some of her situations a bit better. We also have her Insta-Love with Nate, which made no sense to me at all. Actually the entire Romance between them made very little sense and seemed a off. I could not at all relate to it. Nate, He seemed forced and while he was funny most of the time, sometimes it just seemed forced to me. There is a lot of backstory to him and yet we know almost nothing about him but I think we will learn a lot more in later books. The person I absolutely loved was Ryn, if not for him would have quit the book about 25% in. It is clear early on that there is some kind of history between him and Vi but it is not revealed until much later in the book… what and why. I think if the book would have concentrated more on the main story line instead of the romance part it could have been much better. But overall it was enjoyable. There are some big plot twists and which made it really good and made sure I will read the second book in the series. Overall it was a good read and I’m curious to see what happens next but I really hope Vi grows up a bit in future books.

I rate it 3★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Did you really think I wouldn’t look for you?” “Honestly? Yes. You seemed a little busy losing your tongue down someone else’s throat.”

***

“Whatever game you’re playing, you’re going to lose,” he whispers. “And I’ll be right there to rub your nose in it when it happens.” “Great. Well, at least I have something to look forward to.” I cross my arms. “Now why don’t you go parade your lack of dignity somewhere else?”

***

“I refuse to let you talk me into a make-out session in a dodgy, underground tunnel. I have standards, you know.”

Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan spent a good deal of her childhood living in a fantasy land of her own making, crafting endless stories of make-believe and occasionally writing some of them down. After completing a degree in genetics and discovering she still wasn’t grown-up enough for a ‘real’ job, she decided to return to those story worlds still spinning around her imagination. These days she spends much of her time immersed in fantasy land once more, writing fiction for young adults and those young at heart.

Rachel lives in Cape Town with her husband and three miniature dachshunds. She is the author of the bestselling Creepy Hollow series.

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/faerie-guardian-creepy-hollow-1-rachel-morgan
review 2017-03-17 13:05
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

syns

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.

my though

The books starts pretty much where the last one left off. The crew is still recovering and shaken by the events at the end of book one.

I thought the last book was great but this one was epic.

I don’t want to say too much to not spoil it so I will make it a short review of this book.

Okay, like I said they are still recovering from the blow of the last book, but if you know Kaz from the last book you know that he has like five plans already made to get them back on track and the crew back together.

In this book we learn so much more about all the crew members, their past, their plans for the future, they hope and dreams and is a sad realty. Relationships are strengthened but there is always the question of who they can really trust. Who will betray them next? Which is a big part to each of them but also as a crew as a whole. Plus some people still fault others of the crew for the events that took place and are holding a pretty big grudge.

There are some big twists in the book, which I mostly loved. I loved the twists just maybe not the outcome.

There were some quite brutal scenes in this book that not only showed how far some crew member would go but also some of the things they have endured in their past. But to even it out there were also some pretty sweet moments in the book, as well some heartbreaking ones. I shed tears a few times throughout the book.

The end was epic and perfect (almost) for all the crew members. It was bittersweet and a little sad.

I know I will miss all the characters in this duology, It is hard to connect to some characters in books sometimes but to love every single one of them in one book or series is pretty freaking rare. And I did. I loved the entire crew that shared this epic journey, they were super engaging and made it almost impossible to not only love one but almost all. If I had to choose some of my favorite it would be Nina and Jes, but really I liked then all , each of them for something different.

I highly recommend this series.

Overall great book, lots of twist and turns, action, sorrow, great suspense, plus love and we get a little humor.

I rate this book a full 5 ★

Some of my favorite Quotes:

“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

***

“Have any of you wondered what I did with all the cash Pekka Rollins gave us?"

"Guns?" asked Jesper.

"Ships?" queried Inej.

"Bombs?" suggested Wylan.

"Political bribes?" offered Nina. They all looked at Matthias. "This is where you tell us how awful we are," she whispered.”

***

“No mourners, no funerals. Another way of saying good luck. But it was something more. A dark wink to the fact that there would be no expensive burials for people like them, no marble markers to remember their names, no wreaths of myrtle and rose.”

***

“They were twin souls, soldiers destined to fight for different sides, to find each other and lose each other too quickly. She would not keep him here. Not like this.”

***

“I am grateful you're alive", he said. "I am grateful that you're beside me. I am grateful that you're eating."

She rested her head on his shoulder.

"You're better that waffles, Matthias Helvar."

A small smile curled the Fjerdan's lips.

"Let's not say things we don't mean, my love.”

Leigh Bardugo

Leigh Bardugo is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University, and has worked in advertising, journalism, and most recently, makeup and special effects. These days, she’s lives and writes in Hollywood where she can occasionally be heard singing with her band. Her new book, Six of Crows, arrives fall 2015.

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/crooked-kingdom-six-crows-2-leigh-bardugo
review 2017-03-15 12:42
Kill't Dead...Or Worse(Nick Sibelius Series Book 1) by Richard Hacker
Kill't Dead...Or Worse: Sex, murder, and toxic waste: Nowhere Else But Texas - Richard Carleton Hacker

syns

After a murdered partner, a cheating wife and a lost job in Houston, Nick Sibelius sets up a private investigation business in a small Texas town hoping to find some peace and maybe, himself. When two lovers disappear and a fisherman turns up dead, he finds himself drawn into a web of crime and deceit involving MaryLou, a beautiful woman with a mysterious past; Junior, a failed farmer whose best intentions seem to always result in a dead body; and Barry, a sociopathic dentist turned illegal toxic waste entrepreneur with a violent right wing agenda. When the felon who killed Nick’s partner in Houston joins forces with Barry, Nick must not only stop the toxic waste dumping while finding his client’s missing daughter, but keep from being killed in the process. In the end, MaryLou’s dark secret will either save him or kill him -- whichever comes first.

my though

This was a quick, fun and exciting crime mystery book. I really enjoyed this book it has just the right amount of everything.

Mystery, suspense, humor and action.

The characters were fun to follow and you really never knew up to the end who you can trust and who you can’t.

They were easy to relate to and easy to follow and like while each of them were unique an likeable in their own way.

The story lie was amazing and kept me in the edge of my seat up to the last page.

Overall this was a great and enjoyable book that kept me guessing and entertained all the way through. Was written very nicely and easy to follow and fast paced.

I very much look forward to the next book

I rate it 4 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

amazonBig

Abouttheauth

Richard Hacker has been writing most of his life, and professionally, in support of his work in management consulting, public speaking and training in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries. In 2009 he moved, along with his wife, from Austin to Seattle, shifting his professional focus from business consulting to writing fiction full time. Wanted by authorities for smuggling Texas BBQ across state lines, he now writes and lives in Seattle. His writing has been recognized by the Writer’s League of Texas and the Pacific Northwest Writers Association. As a judge in literary contests such as PNWA and ChicLit, he enjoys the opportunity to give writers honest critique to move their craft forward. In addition, he is the science fiction and fantasy editor for the Del Sol Review, an online literary magazine.

Website *** Twitter *** Facebook *** Goodreads

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/killt-dead-worsenick-sibelius-series-book-1-richard-hacker
review 2017-03-06 15:30
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Illuminae - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

syns

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.

my though

This book was truly unique not only the story but also the format of the book.

To be honest, going into this book I was a little worried if it would be hard to follow the book because of the format the book was written in. The entire book is in emails, IMs, reports and other crazy pages and pictures of the ship.

Here are some sample pages for those who have not seen the book in print.

photo 4e76a6aa-296e-4420-8cdb-a2e6b3ca0722.jpg._CB314773404__zps39x11jqi.jpg photo Illuminae-Pages2_zpsyslbng9i.jpg photo 15338188._SX540__zpswammhvgp.jpg photo 35463-1_zpsotp5dxtt.jpg

For that reason I was worried it would be a little hard to follow but it was super easy to follow and it made for a fantastic reading experience.

I loved everything about this book the story that kept you guessing and biting your nails. The endless twist and turns of the story. The characters that were super realistic,( well the human ones ;) )

There is really not much to say, because I really don’t want to spoil it for anyone but it really is a great book that will take you on a thrilling and often emotional journey like no other book has done.

I enjoyed Kady and she truly is a hero in my book, she is real and kept going to the last second where others would have given up a long time ago. Loved Ezra. Just something about him that made me smile and of course Kady.

Aiden is bat a&& crazy but I enjoyed it every minute of it.

I enjoyed all the events happening in the book it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. Every time you catch on something new and shocking happens.

If you have not read this book and looking for a new interesting dystopian- future book, I highly recommended this series. I also hears great things about the audio-book if you listen to them.

Overall, great thrilling, shocking and heartbreaking read with a unique format and I rate it a full 5★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Perhaps bravery is simply the face humanity wraps around its collective madness.”

***

“You deserve every star in the galaxy laid out at your feet and a thousand diamonds in your hair. You deserve someone who'll run with you as far and as fast as you want to. Holding your hand, not holding you back.”

***

“He presses the triggers. And like roses in his hands, death blooms.”

“Are you afraid?"

"Yes."

"Energy never stops, remember. It just changes forms."

"I am still afraid.”

***

"Oh, poor baby. Did I hurt the mass-murdering psychopathic artificial intelligence's feelings?”

Amie Kaufman

Amie Kaufman

Amie Kaufman is the New York Times bestselling co-author of Illuminae (with Jay Kristoff) and These Broken Stars, This Shattered World, and Their Fractured Light (with Meagan Spooner.) She writes science fiction and fantasy for teens, and her favourite procrastination techniques involve chocolate, baking, sailing, excellent books and TV, plotting and executing overseas travel, and napping.

She lives in Melbourne, Australia with her husband, their rescue dog, and her considerable library. She is represented by Tracey Adams of Adams Literary.

Jay Kristoff

Jay Kristoff

Jay Kristoff is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of THE LOTUS WAR, THE ILLUMINAE FILES and THE NEVERNIGHT CHRONICLE. He is the winner of two Aurealis Awards, an ABIA, nominee for the David Gemmell Morningstar and Legend awards, named multiple times in the Kirkus and Amazon Best Teen Books list and published in over twenty-five countries, most of which he has never visited. He is as surprised about all of this as you are. He is 6’7 and has approximately 13030 days to live. He abides in Melbourne with his secret agent kung-fu assassin wife, and the world’s laziest Jack Russell.

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/illuminae-illuminae-files-1-amie-kaufman-jay-kristoff