logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SnoopyDoo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-20 20:23
Review: Dark Water by Parker Bilal
Dark Water (The Makana Mysteries) - Parker Bilal

When an Englishman, Marcus Winslow, appears at Makana's door one April morning, Makana does not realize that he will soon risk losing everything he has built for himself in Cairo. Winslow represents the British government--meaning the Secret Intelligence Service--and he has a special mission to offer, one that Makana cannot resist: Ayoub Hadari, a dangerous specialist in biochemical nerve agents, is on the run and asking for asylum. The only person who can bring him in is Makana--by Ayoub's own request. Ayoub has gone underground in Istanbul and Makana, for the first time since arriving in Egypt, must travel abroad, to a city he doesn't know. Can he trust Marcus Winslow? Or is something more sinister in the works? In this foreign city, Makana soon realizes that nothing is what it appears to be. Suddenly, his past is racing to catch up with him, and Makana becomes both hunter and hunted.

This is book six in the Makana series but the first book I read. I think while it can be read as a standalone, it would have been easier and more enjoyable if I had read the previous books. That being said I had no real idea of what I’m getting into. The world setting is good and easy to understand and very well described. Sometimes a little over described. The same goes for the characters. I had a hard time to relate Makana at times but I think that could have been because I have not rad the previous books. I thought for a crime-mystery it also was very political and various views of politics and foreign affairs and even terrorism comes up. It was rather suspenseful and I never knew what would come next which I enjoyed. Some parts seemed a bit dense but overall it was a good read. It was something I would have never picked up myself but ended up enjoying.

I rate it 3 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available July 11th 2017

Parker Bilal

Parker Bilal is the pseudonym of Jamal Mahjoub. Mahjoub has published seven critically acclaimed literary novels, which have been widely translated. Born in London, he has lived at various times in the UK, Sudan, Cairo and Denmark. He currently lives in Barcelona.

Website *** Goodreads *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-dark-water-parker-bilal
review 2017-06-08 15:23
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
Cinder - Marissa Meyer

Sixteen-year-old Cinder is considered a technological mistake by most of society and a burden by her stepmother. Being cyborg does have its benefits, though: Cinder's brain interference has given her an uncanny ability to fix things (robots, hovers, her own malfunctioning parts), making her the best mechanic in New Beijing. This reputation brings Prince Kai himself to her weekly market booth, needing her to repair a broken android before the annual ball. He jokingly calls it "a matter of national security," but Cinder suspects it's more serious than he's letting on. Although eager to impress the prince, Cinder's intentions are derailed when her younger stepsister, and only human friend, is infected with the fatal plague that's been devastating Earth for a decade. Blaming Cinder for her daughter's illness, Cinder's stepmother volunteers her body for plague research, an "honor" that no one has survived. But it doesn't take long for the scientists to discover something unusual about their new guinea pig. Something others would kill for.

4 ½ ★

I’ve been wanting to read this series for a long time. I actually own all four books already and was just waiting to get the time to start it. I’m so glad that I finally got the time to start with Cinder. I really loved this book and everything about it. Loved the twist of a retelling of a fairytale, the characters, the world building and the writing style. I really enjoyed Cinder, she had a hard life already but she is making the best of it. And despite all the things happening to her and around her she still has a sense of humor and I love her sarcasm. I like that she is smart and thinks through stuff before she acts in it. Well most of the time anyways. Though I did figure out pretty quickly what is so special about Cinder but had to wait for conformation almost at the end of the book. But it was still great. I also enjoyed Kai and his humor. He was easy to get a along with and it was also easy to see that he wants change for the better but is put in a hard spot. I also felt bad for him a few times. The only thing that bothered me about him was his reaction at the end, but then again it was kind of understandable. I really liked both Peony and Iko. And that Cinder at least had a few people in her corner. Though not everything turns out great and we witness some heartbreak. Dr. Erland was pretty much out source for information and confirmation. While I enjoyed him I thought he held too much back yet and I really not sure if he can be trusted. I think we will see more of him later on in the series. I really disliked Adri and Pearl of course and hope they will get what they deserve in the end. And last but not least Queen Levina. She is truly evil and I think there is much more to her motives then we let to believe in this book and I can’t wait to see what it is. While she is purely evil I also kind of enjoyed her.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, it had action, some light romance, while some was easy to guess other things came by surprise. We also get some humor all in a wonderful written world. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I rate this book

4 ½ ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating.”

***

“Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?”

****

“Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just... programmed?”

***

“You could move to Europe." "You know, I've actually been considering that lately." Kai laughed again, the warmth returning to the sound. "If that's not a vote of confidence, I don't know what is.”

***

"My sincerest condolences, Your Highness. In more ways than one, it seems.”

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/cinder-lunar-chronicles-1-marissa-meyer
review 2017-06-01 17:18
Review: New York, Actually (From Manhattan with Love #4) by Sarah Morgan
New York, Actually: A Romance Novel (From Manhattan With Love) - Sarah Morgan

Meet Molly New York’s most famous agony aunt, she considers herself an expert at relationships…as long as they’re other people’s. The only love of her life is her Dalmatian, Valentine.

Meet Daniel A cynical divorce lawyer, he’s hardwired to think relationships are a bad idea. If you don’t get involved, no-one can get hurt. But then he finds himself borrowing a dog to meet the gorgeous woman he sees running in Central Park every morning…

Molly and Daniel think they know everything there is to know about relationships…until they meet each other that is…

This is my first book by Sarah Morgan and part of a series, I must say I didn’t pay attention when I got this title for review. But it can easily be read as a standalone without being confusing or having the feeling you miss something. I wasn’t sure if I would but I really enjoyed this book. I liked the story , the writing and the characters. I also really enjoyed the Dear Aggie parts, which was really Molly but still … it made it just a tad more enjoyable. I also liked that they took it slow and started being friends first even though both felt the attraction, I wasn’t sure about Molly at first and she seemed a bit too much at first but I ended up really liking her and of course Valentine. I also really enjoyed Daniel. Just enough macho not too much not too little. Overall, the book was really enjoyable and I will be reading more by this author.

I rate it 4 ★

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

USA Today bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes contemporary romance and her trademark humour and sensuality have gained her fans across the globe. She has been nominated 5 times for the prestigious RITA® Award from the Romance Writers of America and has won the award twice. Sarah lives near London, England, and when she isn't reading or writing she loves being outdoors.

Look out for Miracle on 5th Avenue, Sarah's latest release in her series set in New York City and coming in 2016.

Facebook *** Twitter *** Instagram *** Pinterest *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-new-york-actually-manhattan-love-4-sarah-morgan
review 2017-05-30 16:49
Review : This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5) by Jeaniene Frost
This Side of the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Danger waits on both sides of the grave.

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .

With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"; the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

I really enjoy this series and really love Cat and Bones, some books more other less it all depends. So of course I was looking forward to this book.

I loved that we pretty much back home to where it all started and we see a lot of familiar faces that we love again.

Cat’s new abilities are no longer as much of a secret as they would like and they wrong kind of group finds out about them and sends the rest of the supernatural world after her.

Of course Bones and the crew are wont let that happen.

An ally or enemy, we never really know forces Cat to drink their blood and that alone will cause a while lot new problems to for Cat and Bones. We learn a lot more about the coming threat, about Cat’s “new” abilities as well about other people of the team.

There are also some major things happening with her family, or the only remaining living member that is, her uncle.

I really liked that we are back and see everyone again and some that we have not seen in a while , like Tate.  I was never really sure about Tate but I really like him in this book. He stood up for what he thinks was right of course, was a prick at times but still was very right in ways. It all just seemed to fit much better with him.

There were some truly heartbreaking moments in the book that made you wanna weep.

The very ending however I saw coming the moment one event occurred, and as much I wanted to be surprised by it I wasn’t. It was just very predictable. but still will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As much as I love the series, this book was a little bit confusing and a let down, It seemed to have a few holes. I guess there were some side books about Menchers and his girl and Denise and Spade. HOWEVER  it was very poorly tie in to the main books, one book everything is normal and fine in the main series and the next we all of the sudden have some new couples that seemed to have a rather big story themselves. Not only that but, there are also some new powers with Denise. While I like side books but I not always read them as I’m sure some other people and it should not affect the main books that much or at the very least should be written into the main story better.

Overall I liked the book and the “MAIN” story but like I said it was a bit confusing about Denise and them. As much as I would love to give it another 5 star review I can’t, it just had to many holes in the story and confusing at other things.

I rate it at 3 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“What the hell was that?” I gasped. “Premature inflammation,” he replied. “Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing. I don’t like to talk about it.”

***

“See?” I’d whispered to Bones, nudging him with a grin. “He never argues with her. Isn’t that sweet?”

A snort preceded his response. “Keep dreaming, pet.”

***

Bones didn’t share any of my qualms about suddenly holding an arm that wasn’t attached to a body anymore. He just grabbed the ghoul by his other arm and began thumping him over the head with the loose limb. I’d heard Bones threaten to beat someone with their own limb before, but I’d always assumed that was a figure of speech. Apparently not.

***

His grin was shameless "If you're just now realizing what an original I am, Catherine, you're even later to the game than I imagined."

"Your arrogance deserves its own zip code, Drac," I said, laughing despite myself.

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-side-grave-night-huntress-5-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-05-20 16:56
Starswept by Mary Fan
Starswept - Mary Fan Starswept - Mary Fan

In 2157, the Adryil—an advanced race of telepathic humanoids—contacted Earth. A century later, 15-year-old violist Iris Lei considers herself lucky to attend Papilio, a prestigious performing arts school powered by their technology. Born penniless, Iris’s one shot at a better life is to attract an Adryil patron. But only the best get hired, and competition is fierce.

A sudden encounter with an Adryil boy upends her world. Iris longs to learn about him and his faraway realm, but after the authorities arrest him for trespassing, the only evidence she has of his existence is the mysterious alien device he slipped to her.

When she starts hearing his voice in her head, she wonders if her world of backstabbing artists and pressure for perfection is driving her insane. Then, she discovers that her visions of him are real—by way of telepathy—and soon finds herself lost in the kind of impossible love she depicts in her music.

But even as their bond deepens, Iris realizes that he’s hiding something from her—and it’s dangerous. Her quest for answers leads her past her sheltered world to a strange planet lightyears away, where she uncovers secrets about Earth’s alien allies that shatter everything she knows.

Will be available August 29th, 2017

Going in to this book I had no idea what to expect. I have read a few books set in the way future, some on earth, some set in space others somewhere in between. But this book is somewhat unique.

I really enjoyed the world setting, is was fantastic and really great explained. But so were the characters, I really loved Iris and her dark, yet beautiful journey in this book.

Iris, is coming from a poor household and struggles to keep afloat with her school for the arts. As if that is not enough she soon has to face so much more. She must make very hard decisions that could cost her everything. An Adryil boy, doesn’t help for the matter. And as they grow closer things are just getting more and more complicated and more dangerous for Iris.

Some things seemed odd but in the end everything just come together really great and make sense.

I really loved this book, it was dark, sweet and had some great twists. It also was really great written a much welcomed new book in the YA sci-fi book world.

This was my first book by Mary Fan but will definitely not be the last.

If you like YA dystopian, Sci-Fi books, I highly recommend this book.

I rate it 5 ★

Mary Fan

Mary Fan is a sci-fi/fantasy writer hailing from Jersey City, NJ. She is the author of the Jane Colt sci-fi series, which comprises ARTIFICIAL ABSOLUTES (Red Adept Publishing, 2013), SYNTHETIC ILLUSIONS (Red Adept Publishing, 2014), and VIRTUAL SHADOWS (2015), and STARSWEPT (Snowy Wings Publishing, 2017), a young adult sci-fi romance. Her works also include several young adult fantasy novellas: THE FIREDRAGON (Glass House Press, 2014), FIREDRAGON RISING (Glass House Press, 2015), TELL ME MY NAME (Glass House Press, 2014), and LET ME FLY FREE (Glass House Press, 2016). These serve as prequels to two full-length series currently under contract with Glass House Press,  Flynn Nightsider and Fated Stars.

In addition, Mary is the co-editor (along with fellow sci-fi author Paige Daniels) of Brave New Girls young adult sci-fi anthologies, which feature tales about girls in STEM. Revenues from sales are donated to the Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund.

Mary has been an avid reader for as long as she can remember and especially enjoys the infinite possibilities and out-of-this-world experiences of science fiction and fantasy. In her spare time (when she has any), she enjoys kickboxing, opera singing, and exploring new things—she'll try almost anything once.

Website *** Blog *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Goodreads *** Instagram