logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SnoopyDoo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 15:13
Mask of Shadows (Untitled #1) by Linsey Miller
Mask of Shadows - Linsey Miller

syns

Perfect for fantasy fans of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo, the first book in this new duology features a compelling gender fluid main character, impressive worldbuilding, and fast-paced action.

Sallot Leon is a thief, and a good one at that. But gender fluid Sal wants nothing more than to escape the drudgery of life as a highway robber and get closer to the upper-class―and the nobles who destroyed their home.

When Sal steals a flyer for an audition to become a member of The Left Hand―the Queen's personal assassins, named after the rings she wears―Sal jumps at the chance to infiltrate the court and get revenge.

But the audition is a fight to the death filled with clever circus acrobats, lethal apothecaries, and vicious ex-soldiers. A childhood as a common criminal hardly prepared Sal for the trials. And as Sal succeeds in the competition, and wins the heart of Elise, an intriguing scribe at court, they start to dream of a new life and a different future, but one that Sal can have only if they survive.

my though

I got this book for mainly three reasons:

The blurb, it stated that it is something you would enjoy if you are fan of both or either Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo. And it has a gender-fluid main character, which we don’t see often if at all in YA fiction ligature.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed by almost all three things why I requested this book.

The only thing it really had incoming with Sarah J. Maas’s and Leigh Bardugo’s books was that they all wore masks and the main character was a thief. If anything it reminded me more of the Hunger Games than anything else. Which is okay because I liked the Hunger Games.

While there were some new and interesting things in the story other things of it, for me, a bit slow and sometimes even boring. There were also some plot holes and some other things just didn’t make sense at all.

The characters were a little to flat and I had a hard time connection to many of them, they were really hiding behind those masks in more than one way.

Even Sal, our gender-fluid main character. While of course we get a lot more things of Sal, it still was hard on some parts to connect with him. I loved that he was gender-fluid and it was rather well portrait and written, for the most part. But sometimes it was, as if that all Sal is, that being gender fluid id all he stands for.

I really enjoyed Sal, I just wish I would have known a bit more of him other than he is gender fluid and wants a better world to live in.

Overall, unfortunately this book was not for me, but that does not mean others won’t like it. I’m sure a lot of people will love it and I hope they do.

I rate it 2 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available August 29, 2017

Linsey Miller

A wayward biology student from Arkansas, Linsey has previously worked as a crime lab intern, neuroscience lab assistant, and pharmacy technician. Her debut novel MASK OF SHADOWS is the first in a fantasy duology coming in September 2017 from Sourcebooks Fire. She can be found writing about science and magic anywhere there is coffee.

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/mask-shadows-untitled-1-linsey-miller
review 2017-04-18 13:10
Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy #1) by Ilona Andrews
Burn for Me - Ilona Andrews

syns

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.

4 ½ ★

Omg. I cannot believe I have not read this book up until now. And all it took was a reading slump and a good friend nudging me to read it to the point she just got me the kindle version and almost had to force me to read it. But holy Rogan, am I glad I did. It was just what I needed. Being a fan of the Andrew’s work it was easy to fall in love with the book, story and characters. They just have a way of writing that just sucks you into their books. A great talent for combining mystery with humor, magic, and romance. Plus of course the awesomely well written characters they always have. Both Main and side characters. This book was no different and to be honest, I’m not sure who I like more Nevada or Mad lol. I really like Nevada. She not only is a bad a$$ but also really smart, funny and above all a family person and will do anything to protect them. She values human live no matter how low on the totem pole they may be. Also she stands up to Mad and resists him… well mostly. But her speech to him at the end made me want to pull out my pom-poms and cheer for her. Go Nevada Go! But what I’m interested more than her future relationship with Mad (we all know it is coming) is her Magic. How much does she really have and why does she have that much. What is her family hiding? Speaking of family…… I love hers, her mom is awesome but I think Grams take the cake. Mad for some reason was not a favorite at first and it took a few chapters to warm up to him. But I’m all warm now ;) I like that he is honest and straight forward no matter the subject and he just goes for it. On the other hand I dislike the same alpha male mannerism but I think him with Nevada are the perfect match. They balance each other out so much. Plus I think she is the one who can show him again the value of human life. The” softer” side of him whether for show or not was really nice and I loved the whole flowers office scene. But what I enjoyed ,most was Nevada and Mad going back and forth with each other, but when I came down to it they were there for each other .

Overall, great read and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

I rate it 4 ½ ★

Abouttheauth

Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Oregon with their two children, three dogs and a cat. They have co-authored two series, the bestselling urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge.

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/burn-hidden-legacy-1-ilona-andrews
review 2017-04-14 16:13
Saving Mercy (Fatal Truth #1) by Abbie Roads
Saving Mercy (Fatal Truth) - Abbie Roads

He's found her at last

Cain Killion knows himself to be a damaged man, his only saving grace the extrasensory connection to blood that he uses to catch murderers. His latest case takes a macabre turn when he discovers a familiar and haunting symbol linking the crime to his own horrific past-and only one woman could know what it means.

Only to lose her to a nightmare

Mercy Ledger is brave, resilient, beautiful-and in terrible danger. The moment he sees Mercy, Cain knows he's the one who can save her. He also knows he's beyond redemption. But the lines between good and evil blur and the only thing clear to Cain and Mercy is that they belong together. Love is the antidote for blood-but is their bond strong enough to overcome the evil that stalks them?

4 ½  ★

I meant to read a book by Abbie Roads for a while now and when the opportunity to review this book came up I jumped at it.

I’m so glad that I did. This book is a whole new level of thriller and romance mixed into one.

Loved the setting, dark, exciting, bite your nails crazy. But also a touch of humor and plenty of steamy time.

This book kept me on the edge on my seat throughout the entire book. It has some wicked good twists and turns and you never know what will happen next.

I loved the complex characters and their growth throughout the book, both from very different worlds each with their own dark past and yet they are connected and share a past.

Loved, loved this crazy thrilling world and characters that Abbie Roads has created.

The only minor hiccup for me was that the first two chapters were a bit confusing but I just seemed to flow into the right setting very quick and loved the rest of the book .

If you are a fan of dark romance and thrillers I highly recommend this book.

I rate it 4 ½  ★

Abbie Roads

Seven Things about Abbie Roads:

She loves Snicker Parfaits. Gotta start with what’s most important, right?

She writes dark emotional books featuring damaged characters, but always gives her hero and heroine a happy ending… after torturing them for three hundred pages.

By day she’s a mental health counselor known for her blunt, honest style of therapy. At night she burns up the keyboard. Well… Burn might be too strong a word. She at least sits with her hands poised over the keyboard, waiting for inspiration to strike. And when it does—the keyboard might get a little warm.

She can’t stand it when people drive slowly in the passing lane. Just saying. That’s major annoying. Right?

She loves taking pictures of things she thinks are pretty.

She’s represented by Michelle Grajkowski of 3 Seas Literary.

Her first book will be out October 2016 through Sourcebooks.

Links

Website *** Newsletter *** Facebook *** Dangerously Dark Darlings Group *** Twitter

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/saving-mercy-fatal-truth-1-abbie-roads
review 2017-04-11 13:10
Grayson (This is Our Life #1) by F.G. Adams
Grayson - Charles F. Adams

syns

Growing up in the small coastal town of Florida, Grayson Blackwood has defied the odds stacked against him. Appearances on the outside can be very deceiving. Coming from a wealthy family with an abusive father that won’t ever change, he’s determined to be a better man. Grayson is fighting for his family, his country, and the only woman he’s ever loved.

Ella Anderson has lived a hard life, growing up with a sick mom and a less than upstanding father. From hand-me-downs to food stamps, life was never easy for her family. But the one thing she could always count on was her family’s love, and for Ella, that was the most precious commodity.

When Ella moves to Lakeview, she meets Grayson in high school. The attraction is immediate for both. Dubbed as ‘just friends’, Grayson and Ella forge an undeniable friendship that leads to a powerful promise.

After high school, Ella and Grayson fall out of touch. A one-in-a-million chance meeting halfway around the globe brings the couple back together in a lifeless desert land, a combat zone where death is always present.

Alpha in his own right, Captain Blackwood leads his special ops team into a war-torn country, determined to take down a terrorist, while Ella struggles with the realization that Grayson has found her again.

Will their love survive time and their harsh separation from long ago? Can Grayson show Ella that they were made for each other?

Bluebirds mate for life. And Grayson’s Bluebird is coming home.

Author’s Note: This is a full-length standalone novel with a happily ever after ending and no cliffhanger. Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

my though

First time for me reading this author(s) and it will not be the last. I absolutely loved this book and everything about it. The writing, the story the characters. It was one of those books that made me swoon, cry and laugh out loud and swoon some more. It also had me biting my nails and sitting at the edge of my seat with some of the more suspenseful scenes. I enjoyed the timeline in the book which was actually over several years. We get the early year of them and then the later when they reunite and even after that. We learn what has happened in those years between so we really don’t miss a lot, which was great. While there was an instant attraction for them, I liked that they build up to their relationship over time. We see them grow and grow with each other. Neither of them had a great childhood really and both had some rough times but they both stood strong and on their course, or made a new course for them. I also really enjoyed the characters, they were easy to relate to and very enjoyable. Grayson while very much an alpha male through and through, he also has a sweet and tender side to him, not to mention his sexy and funny side. I loved his nickname for Ella and the story behind it. Ella, beautiful, sweet and funny Ella. I enjoyed following her through the book and see her grow not just older but as a person. I loved them even more together, sweet, sexy, funny and most of all perfect for each other. Overall I really enjoyed this book and feel like I gained some new awesome friends. I’m looking forward to read the next two books in the series.

I rate this book 5 ★

F.G. Adams

F.G. Adams writes contemporary and paranormal romance about sexy alpha heroes and feisty-mouthed heroines. The wonder twins forming F.G. enjoy a healthy obsession of reading that started at a young age. Their books reflect an avid imagination that was cultivated by their grandmother who taught them the mind has no limits and to use both hands when reaching for the stars. Partners in writing, they both thrive on creating unique storylines for you, the reader to enjoy. When not writing, you can find them on a beach with their significant other enjoying the waves or riding a Harley on a country road somewhere in the USA.

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/grayson-life-1-f-g-adams
review 2017-04-05 16:18
Lost Rider (Coming Home #1) by Harper Sloan
Lost Rider (The Coming Home Series) - Harper Sloan

syns

In Lost Rider, the first Western romance in New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Harper Sloan’s Coming Home series, an injured rodeo star encounters an old flame but will she be just what he needs to get back in the saddle?

Maverick Austin Davis is forced to return home after a ten-year career as a rodeo star. After one too many head injuries, he’s off the circuit and in the horse farming business, something he’s never taken much of a shine to, but now that it’s his late father’s legacy, familial duty calls. How will Maverick find his way after the only dream he ever had for himself is over?

Enter Leighton Elizabeth James, an ugly duckling turned beauty from Maverick’s childhood—his younger sister’s best friend, to be exact, and someone whose heart he stomped all over when she confessed her crush to him ten years back. Now Leighton is back in Maverick’s life, no longer the insecure, love-stricken teen—and Maverick can’t help but take notice. Sparks fly between them, but will Leighton be able to open her heart to the one man who broke it all those years ago?

Written in the vein of Diana Palmer and Lindsay McKenna, this Texas-set series is filled with sizzle, heart, and plenty of cowboys!

4 ½ ★

This was my first book by Harper Sloan but it will not be my last. Not only did I fall in love with the book but also the author’s writing. It just was such a smooth sailing and draws you into her world.

The book had everything I liked. A second chance love. Some dark pasts to overcome all mixed with a sweet and sexy romance that stuffed full with humor.

Also loved the characters.

I really loved Leighton, she was strong, funny and stood her ground, but still had a vulnerable side to her but she would never show it.

Maverick, in the beginning all I could think was, butthead. But the more we get to know him, we understand why. There is so much more to him under that rough exterior.

Both have built large walls around them, and it was great to see those walls coming down bit by bit.

I also really enjoyed a; the side characters, there were a big part of the story but not too big to take away from the main two people. I can’t wait to read more books in the series , to get to know more about the town and the people. But also more about Davis Family.

Overall, great book and looking forward very much to read more by this author.

I rate it 4 ½ ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available April 25th 2017

harper1

Harper is a NEW YORK TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL and USA TODAY bestselling author residing in Georgia with her husband and three daughters. She has a borderline unhealthy obsession with books, hibachi, tattoos and Game of Thrones. When she isn't writing you can almost always find her with a book in hand.

Links

Facebook *** Website *** Twitter *** Instagram | Pinterest *** Goodreads *** Amazon Author Page