logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SnoopyDoo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-18 17:19
Review: The Rending and the Nest by Kaethe Schwehn
The Rending and the Nest - Kaethe Schwehn

When ninety-five percent of the world’s population disappears for no apparent reason, Mira does what she can to create some semblance of a life: She cobbles together a haphazard community named Zion, scavenges the Piles for supplies they might need, and avoids loving anyone she can’t afford to lose. Four years after the Rending, Mira has everything under control. Almost.

Then Mira’s best friend, Lana, announces her pregnancy, the first in this strange world and a new source of hope for Mira. But Lana gives birth to an inanimate object—and soon other women of Zion do, too—and the thin veil of normalcy Mira has thrown over her new world begins to fray. As the community wrestles with the presence of these Babies, a confident outsider named Michael appears, proselytizing about the world outside Zion. He lures Lana away and when she doesn’t return, Mira has to decide how much she’s willing to let go in order to save her friend, her community, and her own fraught pregnancy.

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

1 ½ ★

Sadly this book was a DNF, I don’t like to DNF books and I rarely do it but I just couldn’t connect with this book.

I like to say that the writing is what put me off, and that I’m sure many people will enjoy this book and its writing style. It just was not for me.

For one it seemed a bit too much philosophy for me. Yes, I like when I book makes you think and maybe see a bigger pictures but as far as I read this book was too much of it, almost was like fill in the blanks feeling for me. It started out with the world building or the lack of it, in this case. We are just thrown into the story with very little info about the world or prior events. We don’t know why 95% of humanity disappeared or what lead up to it. It’s just a fact no explanation or anything and we just supposed to take it. While sometimes that can make a book, it defiantly didn’t in this case, at least not for me. It just made me feel lost and disconnected to the book. That also goes for the characters. I had a hard time to connect to any of them and it just felt sort flat to me.

Another issue I had was that it seemed incredible slow to me , I only made it to page 116 but it felt like I read 300 some pages. But to be honest it could have been just the fact that I was not a huge fan of the book.

While this book was not for me, I still think plenty if people would enjoy it and appreciate the writing style much more than I did.

I rate it 1 ½ ★ for the 116 pages that I have read if the book.

Image result for nah gif

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/07/18/review-the-rending-and-the-nest-by-kaethe-schwehn
review 2018-07-01 23:50
I couldn't Get Past The Heroine To Love it
Wicked - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Spoilers ! you have been warned
I usually love this author's stories but this one was rounded off to meh. One, the heroine character felt forced to me. She, had a past love, her first love who she rattles on about ad nauseam through the story. Two, She was this trained for her whole life woman warrior on patrol for these dangerous Fae and yet she acted without thought many times. Three, Tink ? Really she is a super badass with a little horny sidekick named Tink ? I've read that before. Four, the super devotion of Ren after just a few feels and O's ? it's didn't make sense with all her past love mental rehashing his more experienced life and their lack of time together. Why did this gorgeous guy fall insta love for this prickly chick ? I never got that. Five, all the members of this protection group were so distant, there was no feeling of connection between them, the author wrote about them meeting and knowing each other but telling it didn't work for me, I never believed it. Six, Her BFF Val. She was there she did stuff, shocking stuff but I didn't care because I never got to know her. I wasn't surprised, don't know why they were so close, and never really saw it. Seven, Our MC, the big badass fae killer never asked Tink any questions about information that could be a life or death deal ? I feel like such a whiny complainer. The story didn't click together like I'd expected from JLA.
I'll read the next one, the world and story held my interest and I have hope that the characters will develop more in the next books.

review 2018-06-23 18:01
Review: The Night Ferry (Konrad Simonsen #5) by Lotte & Soren Hammer
The Night Ferry - Lotte Hammer

Sixteen children and four adults are killed in a devastating boat crash in Copenhagen. Detective Chief Superintendent Konrad Simonsen is called in, only to discover that this was no accident and that one of the passengers has a very personal connection to the homicide team.

Reeling from this revelation and not knowing who to trust, Simonsen follows a trail that eventually leads him to Bosnia and a network of criminal misconduct. All evidence points towards one shady figure: a high-ranking army specialist with a suspicious past. But the more Simonsen digs, the further the truth slips from his grasp.

When I was offered this book for review I thought it sounded interesting. And I’m happy to report that it was and even more so then I thought.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and everything about it. I enjoyed the setting, Denmark, which was a nice change of pace and I enjoyed it to learn more about it, I only been there once. I loved the characters, the bad, the good and the ugly , we get a nice mix of them and of course I really enjoyed the story which kept me glued to the page and kept me up late to finish it. I couldn’t put it down and just had to know who, where and what ;)

The pacing of the book was great most of the times there were only a few times it felt a bit too slow or maybe I was just impatient. I also should mention that while I really enjoyed the setting it also took me a couple chapters to get used to it and learn about their laws as I went a long. But it was a pretty smooth getting used to as the book just sucks you further and further into the plot.

This was my first book in this series but I think I will go and read some of the other books in the series I also will keep my eye out for future books be the authors.  If you a fan of murder mystery and thrillers I think you will enjoy this book.

I rate it 4 ★

Image result for ship in fog gif

Will be available July 3rd 2018

Amazon *** B&N  *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/23/review-the-night-ferry-konrad-simonsen-5-by-lotte-soren-hammer
review 2018-06-19 16:17
Review: The Valiant (The Valiant #1) by Lesley Livingston
The Valiant - Lesley Livingston

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king, the sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha, and the sworn enemy of Julius Caesar.

When Fallon was a child, Caesar’s armies invaded her homeland, and her beloved sister was killed in battle.

Now, on the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is eager to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her place in the fearsome Cantii war band. She never gets the chance.

Fallon is captured and sold to an elite training school for female gladiators—owned by none other than Julius Caesar. In a cruel twist of fate, the man who destroyed Fallon’s family might be her only hope of survival.

Now Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries and deadly fights—in and out of the arena. And perhaps the most dangerous threat of all: her forbidden yet irresistible feelings for Cai, a young Roman soldier.

I stumbled over this book at the my library and I thought it sounded interesting and something new.

And I’m so glad I got it, I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.

I enjoyed the concept, the story, the world building and of course the characters. I was never a big fan of anything Gladiator, but I really enjoyed this story  and oved the modern twist she put on the pretty well known historic roman time period. And what is not to love about female gladiators lol.

Most of the book is fast paced but there are some slower parts, but overall it has a great flow to it and you never get bored with the exciting new plot . There were a few things that came over confusing but later cleared up.

I really enjoyed that while some things can be taken to a second book (checked later and there is ) most things are nicely wrapped and we are not left hanging with a giant cliffhanger which was nice.

Overall this was a nice surprise book and I’m glad I found it, I listen to it ad the audio was also very enjoyable.

I rate it 4★ and looking forward to book two now that I know there is one.

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/19/review-the-valiant-the-valiant-1-by-lesley-livingston
review 2018-06-08 17:49
Review: Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper #2) by Kerri Maniscalco
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

Following the grief and horror of her discovery of Jack the Ripper's true identity, Audrey Rose Wadsworth has no choice but to flee London and its memories. Together with the arrogant yet charming Thomas Cresswell, she journeys to the dark heart of Romania, home to one of Europe's best schools of forensic medicine...and to another notorious killer, Vlad the Impaler, whose thirst for blood became legend.

But her life's dream is soon tainted by blood-soaked discoveries in the halls of the school's forbidding castle, and Audrey Rose is compelled to investigate the strangely familiar murders. What she finds brings all her terrifying fears to life once again.

First off , I think this book would make a great TV show and I for sure would watch it :D

I started this book knowing it was book two but didn’t think they are connected . For some reason I thought they are following different people and since I didn’t read book one….. yet I started it. I learned pretty early on that I was wrong but I really didn’t care at that point because I just liked it way to much. Plus If didn’t really spoil that much and I really didn’t think the Jack the Ripper book would have a HEA

I usually not a big fan of historical fiction but this one sounded interesting and it was. It was well written, it was fun and kept you guessing. The setting while was great, and I really enjoyed it.

I also loved Audrey, she was a powerhouse for her time, she didn’t let the men put her down no matter what they said or how they treated her.  She was a real trailblazer for the tiimepwriod and that was another thing I enjoyed.  She was also very funny and had many laugh out loud moments on top her sassiness.

I also enjoyed Thomas very much and it seems like her always found trouble somewhere. I LOVED them together, it was funny, sweet , sassy  and of course romantic and  bit scandals for the time period.  It also was spooky and sometimes gross, not overly so that people with weak stomachs couldn’t handle it.  Overall it was soo much fun and I cant wait to actually read the first book lol.

Also after the ending I look very much forward to book three in the series. Over all I read the book 5★ , I listen to the Audio which was fantastic.

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/08/review-hunting-prince-dracula-stalking-jack-the-ripper-2-by-kerri-maniscalco