logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: SnoopyDoo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-23 18:57
Review: Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1) by Charlaine Harris
Midnight Crossroad - Charlaine Harris

From Charlaine Harris, the bestselling author who created Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, comes a darker locale - populated by more strangers than friends. But then, that’s how the locals prefer it...

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It’s a pretty standard dried-up western town.

There’s a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There’s a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there’s new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he’s found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth...

I was meaning to read this book for a while now and with the TV show soon starting I figured I better get to it. Even though we all know things will most defiantly change in the show.

We also have a buddy read on BookLikes that you can follow with the midnightcrossroadbr tag.

Anyhow, the book was a bit slow but I still enjoyed it but I really hope it will pick up on pace for the next book.

For some reason I thought we would follow Manfred as the main character throughout the book. But we get several point of views from several different people all equally big part of the book.  Also plot wise, we pretty much follow those people throughout the daily lives and what happens. With that we get either a few storylines or none and everything is a bit scrambled together. We kind of getting a bit of everything and it is a bit all over the place at some points of the book.

I did get kind of a Haven feel wit this book. You know freaky small town everyone has a secrets and you have to be in the ‘in’ circle to know it.

Also for a paranormal book I would have liked a little bit more paranormal things happening. Yes we get some but I would have like to see more. Especially from Manfred given the plot and him being psychic. Sometimes they seemed to handle stuff a bit too mundane for being well ….. paranormal. I did however enjoy the kind of vampires in this book and how they feed..

I also enjoyed the characters and setting is was very well described and made you feel like you are part of the town. While a bit slow the book did have a nice flow which made it fun and easy to read.

I’m looking forward to book two to see what our townies are up to.

I rate this book 3★

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry and plays. After holding down some low-level jobs, she had the opportunity to stay home and write, and the resulting two stand-alones were published by Houghton Mifflin. After a child-producing sabbatical, Charlaine latched on to the trend of writing mystery series, and soon had her own traditional books about a Georgia librarian, Aurora Teagarden. Her first Teagarden, Real Murders, garnered an Agatha nomination.

Soon Charlaine was looking for another challenge, and the result was the much darker Lily Bard series. The books, set in Shakespeare, Arkansas, feature a heroine who has survived a terrible attack and is learning to live with its consequences.

When Charlaine began to realize that neither of those series was ever going to set the literary world on fire, she regrouped and decided to write the book she’d always wanted to write. Not a traditional mystery, nor yet pure science fiction or romance, Dead Until Dark broke genre boundaries to appeal to a wide audience of people who just enjoy a good adventure. Each subsequent book about Sookie Stackhouse, telepathic Louisiana barmaid and friend to vampires, werewolves, and various other odd creatures, has drawn more readers. The Southern Vampire books are published in Japan, Great Britain, Greece, Germany, Thailand, Spain, France, and Russia.

In addition to Sookie, Charlaine has another heroine with a strange ability. Harper Connelly, lightning-struck and strange, can find corpses… and that’s how she makes her living.

In addition to her work as a writer, Charlaine is the past senior warden of St. James Episcopal Church, a board member of Mystery Writers of America, a past board member of Sisters in Crime, a member of the American Crime Writers League, and past president of the Arkansas Mystery Writers Alliance. She spends her "spare" time reading, watching her daughter play sports, traveling, and going to the movies.

Facebook *** Website *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-midnight-crossroad-midnight-texas-1-charlaine-harris
review 2017-07-20 17:32
Review: Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost
Up From the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death… because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave.

This is the final book in the Night Huntress series . On the one hand it was bitter-sweet to see Cat, Bones and friends go on the other it was time.

Now that I finished the complete series I think it was overdue. I would have been happy with five great books instead of the last two books seeming like Mrs. Frost is running out of ideas and just forcing things to happen.

This was not any different for this last book. Don’t get me wrong I liked it (well most of it) but it was not the same as what we got in the beginning of the series.

Sure we get the same characters, but something just seemed to be missing.

As far as this last book goes. I liked it we have Cat and Bones in full actions to not only save themselves but to prevent yet another full-blown war between the species. At the same time they ate trying to figure out what the government or more Madigan is and was up to. Once it is revealed what he has been up to, I thought “NO WAY”. But not in a good way.

I really didn’t care for this part of the story, it seemed too farfetched and yet reminded me of another vampire franchise, that done that. I didn’t care for what we find out. Not because it was (sort of) done before but because it just didn’t seem to fit and felt very forced.

I liked Cat in this book for the most part, except a few parts where she seemed to have lost the ability to think clearly. But mostly she as okay and it is rather amazing how far and how much she grown since the first book.

Bones, well he was Bones not much more to him and his moody self. Let’s not forget Tate.  Things change for him in a big…… I thought he handled it better that I thought he would fort being Tate that is.

Charles or Spade as we mostly known him, he used to be more the books and I used to like him but ever since the whole Denise thing, he turned into a big ole douche at least that is what I thought.,

Denise on the other grown so much, she might have even outgrown Spade and all the others. I really loved her in this book.

One other person I surprised me in this book and that was Ian. Man did I love him in this book, we learn so much more about him and I wish we would get more of him. Maybe someday as a spin-off we get Ian.

Overall I liked this book, it had suspense, humor, romance and action.  I rate the book at 3★     ...I wish I could have rated it higher being the last but it is what it is.

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the entire series, I sure did and I will miss Cat & Co for sure.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

***

“Shame on you, Crispin. Married how long, and you haven't spanked your wife with a metal spatula yet?"

***

“Only a fool chooses to live in ignorance when knowledge is so easily obtained.”

***

“That's how two vampires, a medium, and a dog came to sit around a Ouija board in the back room of a floral shop.”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-grave-night-huntress-7-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-07-13 15:24
Review: Down Home Cowboy (Copper Ridge #8) by Maisey Yates
Down Home Cowboy: A Western Romance Novel (Copper Ridge) - Maisey Yates

This Texas cowboy has come home to Copper Ridge to put down roots…but will he risk his heart again?

Asked where he'd be at this point in life, Cain Donnelly would have said anywhere but Copper Ridge, Oregon, living with his estranged brothers. But since his wife abandoned them, both he and his daughter, Violet, are in need of a fresh start, so he's back to claim his share of the family ranch. Local baker Alison Davis is a delicious temptation, but she's also his daughter's mentor and new boss. That makes her off-limits…until she offers a no-strings deal that no red-blooded cowboy could resist.

Alison has worked tirelessly to rebuild her life, and she won't jeopardize her hard-won independence. Especially if it also complicates Cain's relationship with Violet. But with Cain offering a love she never thought was possible, Alison has to find the courage to let her past go…or watch her future ride away for good.

3 ½ ★

This is the 8th book in the Copper Ridge series but it can be easily read as a standalone. I have not read any of the previous books and did not feel like I missed something. Which is always good. Most know, that I enjoy Cowboy books among Rockstar and Hockey books , when it comes to romance books, so it was really way to like this book. This was the first book I read by Maisey Yates but I plan on reading more of her books. I liked the writing style it had a nice flow to it and was easy to follow and get lost in. I did enjoy the story and the characters for the most part, some parts were a bit annoying but nothing major that made me want to stop reading. I l liked the back story of the characters and it made us really see why they are the way they are. While most of the story was easy to predict it still was very enjoyable to read. I enjoyed all the side characters as well even if I did not know that from the precious books. I thought they had just the right amount of page-time not too much or little. Overall. Great read and looking forward to read more by this author.

I rate it 3 ½ ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Available NOW

New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then it’s been a whirlwind of sexy alpha males and happily ever afters, and she wouldn’t have it any other way. Maisey divides her writing time between dark, passionate category romances set just about everywhere on earth and light sexy contemporary romances set practically in her back yard.

She believes that she clearly has the best job in the world.

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-home-cowboy-copper-ridge-8-maisey-yates
review 2017-07-03 16:37
Call the Chiropractor
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass Series #2) - Sarah J. Maas

4.5 I want to kill the MC stars ! Oh she was such a bloody thorn, nasty words, viscous reactions, and heartless dumping. Oh I suffered, my poor heart broke and then broke some more. Ms. Maas is a wicked beast ! I had a seriously messed up night of sleep, whiplashed heart, book hangover. oh I'm a suffering reader here. I don't even drink alcohol but I'd suggest having a strong one at hand when reading or a warm puppy to cuddle to blues away.
I am taking a few days off this series to recover. Book 3 is loaded and waiting. Be gentle with me Ms. Maas. I am a fragile beastie :D

review 2017-06-28 22:11
A Really Good Time Reading
Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

4.5 Fun action packed and visual, with the added bonus of one truly kick arse heroine. The men were okay too even though they took a back seat. Woot Woot , yes they did. Women are the stars, the power the avengers in this book and I loved it. There was a nice touch of a love triangle to keep me guessing on the romance area, which was well done an a very small part of the story. She was fighting for her life and freedom and didn't have time to stop and worry about her love life much. What a concept her life is more important then who her heart belongs to ?!?!? Ha, ya'll know what I'm talking about it happens in many books. So another great story from Ms. Maas I'm off to read book 2.