logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Stranded
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-15 02:27
Nicholas Sansbury Smith: Ords II Stranded
Orbs II: Stranded: A Science Fiction Thriller - Nicholas Sansbury Smith

You will want to read the first book in the series Orbs in order to understand the Aliens and world that this series is based upon.

Nicholas Sansbury Smith is back with the second book in his Orb series, where water is becoming more and more scarce:

The Alien invasion has wiped out most of the life on Earth by sucking the water not just out of the ground but also out of every living thing they can find. The Oceans are slowly being drained and the survivors within the biosphere make a horrific discovery human farms where the Aliens appear to be slowly draining the life of humans that have been captured. When one of their own is captured by the Aliens, they enter into an all out mission to find him and bring him home, but nothing prepares them what has been happening outside of the biosphere.

I liked this better than the first not sure why but I was really drawn into the story and characters in this book when compared to the first. Maybe it is due to the fact that these are the people who survived the first wave and we get to know a few of the survivors better. Sansbury Smith pull no punches on descriptions of deaths (they are pretty gruesome as the Aliens want the water from any lifeforms' body) and who is alive at the end of the book, lets just say they all do not make it out in the end. Sansbury Smith knows how to keep this series both frightening, disturbing and entertaining all at the same time.

Really like the development of Alexia the AI in the biosphere as a character in this book. She changes and almost develops feelings which I find very interesting due to the fact that she is AI as well as her attachment to the humans who she watches over. Another character that was better fleshed out in this book was Sergeant Overton. He really shows a different side of himself I found in this book, as he is very much lets take the fight to them as so what if we die trying while in the first book it was more about trying to survive. But the one thing that you respect the most about Sergeant Overton is that his is completely loyal to his men and is not willing to ask them to do anything that he is not willing to do himself.

As us one of my favourite authors out there right now Sansbury Smith is one of my go to authors. I know I will be continuing on with this series to see where he takes it.

Enjoy!!!

If you Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.com/2018/10/mira-grant-into-drowning-deep.html  http://j9books.blogspot.com/2017/04/nicholas-sansbury-smith-hell-divers.html  http://j9books.blogspot.com/2017/03/ezekiel-boone-hatching.html

show activity (+)
review 2019-02-06 00:43
Remember the yacht...remember...
Stranded - Cara Dee

Darius and Gray along with a dozen or so other terrified but brave young men fighting to stay alive...to escape what for them was a ship of horrors...well they made it off of that yacht to an island and they're safe or at least safer and now here in 'Stranded' the second book in a 5 book series that will see us following Darius and Gray on their journey to what I refuse to believe will be anything other than a solid and well deserved HEA.

'Auctioned' saw us following the story through Gray's eyes but this time around we get to see things through Darius's mind as he struggles with his growing attachment to Gray.  Things aren't a case of black and white for Darius. He's struggling with his need to be close to Gray...to never be too far away from him for any amount of time as Gray seeks  him out because for Gray...Darius is shelter from the storm, near him is the only place where Gray truly feels safe and for Gray this creates it's own complication as he struggles with his fear of not being able to care for himself...to protect himself.

While the danger in 'Auctioned' was from the outside world...drug runners, human slavers...here in 'Stranded' Gray and the other men rescued by Darius are forced to begin the struggle against the damage done to their psyches following their ordeal and as they all begin to go their separate way only time is going to tell how badly the damage done to each of them has been.

Once again we're left standing at the edge of a very steep cliff as we watch the group begin to drift apart...as they start to go their separate ways returning to their lives.

While 'Stranded' picked up right where 'Auctioned' left off, it held it's own very different tone. The characters in 'Abandoned' have gone from victims to survivors...to people beginning to reclaim their lives and preparing to move on...but, what remains to be seen is how much easier said than done will this be for all of them...

There are no simple and quick solutions in the real world for a story like this and I'm sure it's not going to be any different here. As Darius wages an internal struggle between his own feelings and what he believes the other boys and especially Gray are dealing with, he also struggles with Gray on a more personal level to find a balance between what Gray wants and what he feels Gray can handle. It's a fine line and one that neither man  is truly objective about.

While 'Stranded' very much continues the struggle against real world events for Darius, Gray and the rest of these boys it also contains the beginnings of a very psychological and emotional struggle that each of these survivors will need to face on their own terms in order to once again regain control of their lives. But it's Darius and Gray who are the true focus of this series and it's their journey this series is built on

I could wrap this up by saying "I loved this and this and this about the book but really what it came down to was 'I loved the book' just like the first one and truthfully I don't see that changing any time soon."

***********************

An ARC of 'Stranded' was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-12-01 05:28
Stranded for Christmas (Holiday Acres, #4) by Noelle Adams
Stranded for Christmas - Noelle Adams

Neither side was looking for love, but it found them nonetheless. Now they have to decide to take a chance and reach for their happiness. Laura and Russ have both been scarred by life. Only they can make the choice to heal that pain and find some joy. Stranded for Christmas will put a little love in your heart. Noelle Adams knows the right buttons to push. She aims for the heart. Hits her target and always leaves me wanting more.

review 2018-01-15 01:22
Love's Crash Landing by Amylea Lyn
Love's Crash Landing - Amylea Lyn

"Prince Mi'Kel is now Mikinna Petrovik, formerly of Moscow... My contact said there wouldn't be a problem (with false documents - mrella) even if those Feds get it into their heads to look.”

I laughed and I laughed and I laughed!... And then I giggled on top of it =) Maybe local, american, feds are fine with it, but Mikinna Petrovik is not a Russian name and population there is not that diverse not to draw attention to a strange name *snort* Might as well have kep Mi'kel.

review 2018-01-12 04:22
Sacrati by Kate Sherwood
Sacrati - Kate Sherwood

Book, I am very upset with you. Your meager 407 are the longest 407 pages I've ever read. Ever. Even "1001 Nights" wasn't that long when I read it last.

If it wasn't for the empty banter between the characters and the small pockets of cute nothingness or dull brooding or any other unnecessary details that can be easily done outside of the book (like little ficlets), the whole reading experience would have been much more pleasant.

Rest in peace now. I am glad I am finally free of you.

PS
It's not a bad story, just the way it's told that didn't agree with me.