logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Stranger-Than-Reality
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-14 20:08
Cry Fox
Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox - Ben Aaronovitch

It is no secret I'm a fan of the Rivers of London series and one of the things I like is the multiple ways in which the story is told, e.g. here the graphic novel. Like its predecessors it is good in keeping you entertained while waiting for the next novel in the series.

Cry Fox only contained four issues so it was a very fast read. It was a take on a very well known tale which was maybe not the most surprising or original but the nice cast of characters make up a lot. As one of the characters plays a role in the sixth book, The Hanging Tree, it is best read after it. At the end there is some more information about the Fox in several cultural and literary settings.

review 2019-01-01 21:43
The Hanging Tree
The Hanging Tree - Ben Aaronovitch

One of the things I really worry to much about when it comes to books is their height. I want my series to fit together and have on occasions taken a ruler into the bookstore to make sure I bought the right one. It completely beats me why there are so many different heights available or why this sometimes differs between UK and US editions. Usually, I'm most pleased by the standard 197mm edition, but these are for some reason often not brought onto the market for a full six to nine months after publication (sometimes even the MMP are released before!). I'm sorry for the rambling - what I wanted to say was that if you've been waiting for such a long time after publication, when the book finally arrives, it doesn't always scream as loudly as it did in the beginning, and in the case of The Hanging Tree, so many great book were passing by, I -shamefully- admit to forgetting about it until I saw the newest book in the series, Lies Sleeping, in stores recently. On the other hand, the series looks superbly in my book case.

The sixth novel in the Peter Grant series brings back a lot of old and new characters, ultimately centering once more on Peter and his, at this time grown into, arch nemesis. Since it was a while since I read the fifth book I was worried I would not get into the story easily, but I needn't worry. It was not hard to recognize why I like these books so much. The story is okay, but it is Peter's way of describing police procedural, diplomacy (with the Rivers) and life in general (which I can only describe as British) that really makes this series so wonderful. I mean, he uses the phrase 'hoi polloi'. Period.

Just an interesting side note to end this review with: The paperback edition of Lies Sleeping is currently planned for May 24th, and Book Depository describes the height as 198mm *inner scream*.

review 2019-01-01 21:23
Detective Stories
Rivers of London Volume 4: Detective Stories - Ben Aaronovitch,Lee Sullivan

The Rivers of London/Peter Grant is one of my favorite ongoing series and one of the things I like about it is the many different ways the stories are being told (novels, shorts, comics and there is also a free audio-exclusive). Also, it is British.

Detective stories includes four short stories of Peter's Falcon cases as he recalls them while being interviewed for a detective exam. I liked them a lot as they make the wait for the next novel more bearable.

review 2019-01-01 08:41
A Rare Book Of Cunning Device
A Rare Book of Cunning Device - Ben Aaronovitch,Kobna Holdbrook-Smith,Audible Studios

A Rare Book of Cunning Device is a short audiobook free on Audible that is a part of the ever expanding universe around PC Peter Grant and his 'Falcon' adventures. I like how the series is spread across all different ways of reading (besides the main books and some short stories, the graphic novels - for me at least - have become an integral part of the series).

It's too short, but way too good to miss if you're into the series. It focuses on The British Library, which is a wonderful place by the way if you've never visited it.

review 2018-06-25 08:00
Rebel Of The Sands
Rebel of the Sands - Alwyn Hamilton

One of my resolutions was to be joining in more group reads, and Rebel of the Sands was one of those that I had selected. It is entirely my own fault for not really reading it in group though.

It was however nice that it has introduced me to this series. Amani, AKA the Blue-Eyed Bandit, lives near the end of the world and she wouldn't like anything better than to escape. So far, so normal. When her only chance proves to be joining a Rebellion this is where things get interesting. Without trying to spoil too much, what I liked best is that Amani is basically forced to choose between her powers and her gun-wielding skills.

The plot was not that special, but certainly good enough to keep me interested. My biggest fear at the moment is that Amani will become too special, I can't stand it when the main characters turn into something all the other characters can only admire but never reach.

Onto book 2!