logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Stranger-Than-Reality
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-16 08:58
City Of Miracles
City of Miracles - Robert Jackson Bennett

With City of Miracles one, if not the best, fantasy series of the last couple of years comes to an end. I cannot start to express just how much I loved reading them. The world is so complex, as are the characters, and these series is so emancipated that I really couldn't tell if they male of female based on their position (but without making a show of it, which means it felt all the more real). Before I just keep rambling about the series, let me tell you one thing: it comes highly recommended! (But start with City of Stairs, the first one)

City of Miracles follows Sigrud, some fifteen years after the previous books, as he learns of Shara's dead. I was shocked at this at first, since she was the main character from the first book, but it really works. As Sigurd tries to protect her daughter, he learns about something that is bigger than them all.

I enjoyed it so much I don't know how to put it best into words. I recommend taking some proper time to really immerse yourself into the world because it will be worth it. It is not often that I'm so saddened by a book, but the ending was right in the feels. I also felt some pain because it meant this adventure is over. Did Robert Jackson Bennett write other books besides The Divine Cities? If so, I must get them NOW.

Thanks to Blogging for Books and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-08-11 08:00
Machinations
Machinations - Hayley Stone

Machinations follows Rhonda, recently returned from the dead (she's a clone of her previous self) because her job, as a hallmark of the rebellion against the machines isn't over.

In this robot-apocalypse, where the bots have decided to fight 'the war to end all wars' by exterminating people, what drew me most was the struggles Rhonda had with coming to terms with one) dying and second) coming back.

It made a nice and interesting read and I certainly plan to read the sequel as well.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-08-10 08:00
How To Survive A Robot Uprising
How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion - Daniel H. Wilson

I was expecting something slightly more funny and less serious, but How to Survive a Robot Uprising tackles the upcoming robot-apocalypse describing different types of robots that will bring our demise. It is easily portable and fits in a pocket, gives tips about escaping a smart house and if anything, made me aware of all the possible thing that can kill me.

Quick read, not as funny as I expected it to be though, and I'm afraid that in the event of a robot-apocalypse most of the information might be out-dated.

review 2017-08-08 08:00
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

The review below was based on my first read of the Harry Potter books, ages ago and in Dutch. Updated reviews will follow after a reread (in English) I plan to do.

I was particularly disappointed when I just finished reading it, see review below. I'm very curious what I will think of it when I reread it for the first time. I think I will be less harsh this time.

I thought this to be the worst book of the series. Most important reason

the end. I thought that was horrible. Harry Potter should have died to end the series properly. This dying and not really dying, I didn't like it. It seemed to me that Rowling was so attached to Harry Potter that she couldn't let him die. Even though it had been better for the books.

(spoiler show)

There were other things I didn't like either in this book. You could see a change in how they react on the death of people. First, there is a lot to do about everyone who dies. But in the end it is like she is rushing through this part and they see all those death people and only think 'whatever?'. (At least it gave me that impression). I do like that part when Harry, Ron and Hermoine live in Sirius' old home with that house-elf (I don't know how he's called in English).
This was my least favorite of the Harry Potter books, I had hoped for it to have a better ending...

review 2017-08-07 13:00
Yea Though I Walk
Yea Though I Walk - J. P. Sloan

I had previously read some books from JP Sloan (The Curse Merchant) but they were quite different from Yea Though I Walk, which I can only describe as a gritty Paranormal Western Horror. Talk about blending some genres together.

I'm normally not really someone for the Western genre, but the grittiness of it really added to the story. Add to that the Wendigo and vampires and it made a surprisingly entertaining read. I think the main character, Odell, could have been fleshed out a bit more (no pun intended) but otherwise a really nice read.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!