logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Sugar
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-02-07 23:10
This Way to the Sugar
This Way to the Sugar - Hieu Nguyen

This collection focuses primarily on Nguyen's experiences as both a gay man and also as the survivor of childhood molestation, and how those elements intersect with one another. There are also some stunning pieces in here on race and family. Overall the collection paints a deeply personal and revealing portrait of the author, formed from a place of raw honesty. It is a beautiful confessional. I had only intended to read a few poems at a time, but I ended up reading the entire collection in one sitting. Compelling, with a strong emotional core, the language Nguyen sculpts is interesting, fresh, and lyrical. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

review 2019-01-30 01:38
Sugar Run
Sugar Run - Mesha Maren
When Jodi gets released from prison, her goal is to make it West Virginia so she can live on some property that belongs to her grandmother. Jodi has fond memories of this piece of land from her childhood and after 18 years in prison, Jodi is ready to start living.

In route to her destination, Jodi makes a planned stop and saves Ricky but when she stops off at a bar, she runs into Miranda where they hit it off. Miranda is close to losing custody of her children and Miranda claims, that she also wants to get her life straightened out. When Jodi later sets off to begin her new life, she is no longer traveling alone.

Life gets complicated for Jodi when she finally arrives in West Virginia. Her grandmother’s land is no longer in the family yet Jodi is not letting go of the land without a fight. United with her siblings, Jodi is having a hard time trying to reestablish herself as her past is slowly creeping back into her life. Miranda claims that she wants a new life, but illegal activities are becoming her norm.

I enjoyed the feel of the novel, it had this easy calm feel to it. I felt as if Jodi was the only one who was putting forth any effort in this novel and since she was living back in an unhealthy environment, I wondered how she could be successful. Fresh out of prison, surrounded by illegal activities, and not surrounded but good role models, I feared for her and her future. Then, there were Miranda’s children. They were now a part of this mix.

review 2019-01-18 22:45
Beneath the Sugar Sky, Wayward Children #3
Beneath the Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire

I can't recreate my original review, but it was mostly gushing anyway. This book took me completely by surprise, I remember. I had wanted something light to pass the time while helping my husband at a doll show. I ended up reading it in a single sitting, letting him take care of customers while I was lost in a fascinating candy world and reading intriguing backstories to the characters.

Little did I know that the characters are all about 90% backstory with their screen time not adding much to the 'present' at the school. That sounds bitchy, I know, but I loved this book and when I finally got a chance to read the first two books in the series I was disappointed there wasn't more substance to them.

That said, I still recommend them to fans of classic fantasy who want an author rooting around in the tropes box willy-nilly with fantastic results. It makes for great 'treat' reading. The fourth book has recently been released, covering the history of one of the more intriguing characters of the first book. Check it out at your local booksellers! That review is coming tomorrow.

Wayward Children

Next: 'In An Absent Dream'

Previous: 'Down Among the Sticks and Bones'

review 2019-01-13 21:16
Book #2 in the Dreamcatcher Series
Sugar & Gold - Emma Scott

๏ ๏ ๏  Highlights ๏ ๏ ๏

Series can be read out of order

Adult Contemporary Romance

Sexually Explicit Scenes (possibly a few too many)

Splash of Supernatural Elements

One of my Favorite Authors

With Audiobook Narration Performed by Caitlin Kelly & Joe Arden

๏ ๏ ๏  My Review ๏ ๏ ๏

While not one of my favorite Emma Scott books, it still is one that I thoroughly enjoyed.  She has a way of making a story come to life with purpose, and her characters are always so genuine.  The supernatural elements of this were portrayed with that same genuineness, making them feel possible in real life.

I probably should have read this over listening, though, because sadly, the narration just didn't do it for me. Joe Arden didn't feel like the right fit for the Nikolaus...I think he made him sound older than he was supposed to be.  For Fiona, I believe Caitlin Kelley was the right fit, I just didn't like her male voices, way too gruff and fake-ish.  This is why I can't stress enough the importance of picking the right narrators for a story, and making sure they not only pronounce the names and places right but also give the characters the right modulation in the way you envisioned them to be.

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Theme or Tone⇝ 4/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝ 3.8/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝ 4.5/5
Originality⇝ 4/5
Ending⇝ 3.7/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Nope.
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝  It's okay...ish
Setting⇝ Savannah
Source⇝ Audiobook (Scribd)
๏ ๏ ๏

๏ ๏ ๏ Links ๏ ๏ ๏

Kindle eBook | Audiobook

Add to Goodreads | Add to Booklikes

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

review 2018-12-03 04:52
Christmas Sugar (Insta-Spark, #2) by Melanie Moreland
Christmas Sugar - Melanie Moreland

The best feeling in the world is knowing that you are needed. Not for what you have, but for who you are. That's a lesson that Dylan never learned until he found a family to teach him how. Christmas Sugar is a story of love, a journey of hope and the blessing of finding a place to belong.