logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Suspense-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-22 15:48
Wolf Unleashed by Paige Tyler
Wolf Unleashed (SWAT) - Paige Tyler

Alex Trevino has his hands full. First, he has to convince the sexy vet that doesn't give him the time of day to go out with him. Then, when he finally accomplishes that and figures out she's his One, she gets it into her head, she's something else than a vet, trying to figure out who's running a dogfighting ring, and almost gets herself killed, forcing Alex to go half-wolf on her to keep her safe, she freaks and breaks it off, only to come back asking him to help her track her missing sister.

All this, while trying to find out who's behind the latest drug craze sweeping the city. Alex is just one man...With a little extra wolf thrown into the mix.

Once again, it was the suspense that saved the day. Suspense and the SWAT team with their closeness and zingers.
The suspense was intriguing and gritty with three separate investigations, keeping everyone fully occupied, only to merge (a little of an easy solution, if you ask me) into one single case. But it kept everybody on their toes, it kept me guessing, and it kept me glued to the pages.
The action scenes were intense, and the full-on wolf chase sequence was just the perfect cherry on the cake.

The cast of characters (namely the SWAT squad) was once more at their peak, both as emotional support for the hero, much needed heroes of the city, and the in-house entertainment to provide some much needed levity to the subject matter of the suspense arc.
I couldn't say the same for the heroine. She was annoying to begin with (with her hang-ups and emotional baggage), but instead of growing on me as the story progressed, she became even worse, until I couldn't stand her. I don't care that she had a 180 in the end, she's the worst heroine in this series so far and I'm glad "her" story is over.

Yet another great suspense and action story with wonderful (secondary) characters, but the romance (thanks to the heroine) left me cold.

I'm looking forward to what comes next, especially with the dangerous possibility of werewolf hunters converging on Dallas...And I'm wondering what he ME might know.

review 2018-05-22 15:47
To Love a Wolf by Paige Tyler
To Love a Wolf (SWAT) - Paige Tyler

Little does Landry Cooper know the afternoon he walks into a bank to cash a check to cover a bet, that the awful day he's had, is about to turn into one of the best days of his life. It doesn't matter that he has to deal with a bank robbery, he's just met the most beautiful woman in the world. A woman he soon realizes she's The One for him...And the woman who will hurt him more than being blown up into a pink mist once she discovers his secret.

I was looking forward to Cooper's story from the first book in this series. There was something about the incredibly observant werewolf who everybody went to for advice and who could keep secrets that could cost him his job. But because he's just a wonderful character, of course his story couldn't have been all roses and rainbows, but instead turned out to be the darkest, most emotional one of the bunch (so far).

First, it was the star-crossed romance between him and Everly, the artist with four overprotective brothers and a magic-werewolf-mirror possessing father. The crux of the problem was telegraphed from the beginning when Everly told him how her mother died, but the big reveal still packed a punch. Especially once Everly's fears and memories kicked in. But I really couldn't empathize with the girl, not once she started spewing the m-word about the guy who saved her neck just a few days ago.
I know it created conflict, but the break-up was a tad too melodramatic for me, especially given everything that was going on around the two of them.
Still, it got solved rather quickly and it didn't really need one of those life-or-death moments (although we got that one as well).

And then there was the suspense, the main driving force, beside the weepy romance. I was right about the bomber, although I still wish I was wrong.
A bomber with his expertly made bombs was terrorizing Dallas and everybody pitched in, including Cooper, a former EOD tech who wolf-y instincts quickly started tingling. I might've seen the baddie coming from a mile away, but that final twist with the betrayal threw me (as it did Cooper). The suspense arc, especially given the personal connections, was dark and emotional, and quite painful to read toward the end, as I empathize with Cooper and what he was going through—and what he did in the end to save all those lives.

And then there were the characters. Cooper himself with his snarkiness and nicknames (Brothers Stupid brought a smile to my face) was enough to keep things lively, but the presence of the rest of the bunch didn't hurt, especially when the poor heartbroken wolfy needed a shoulder to cry on (or help getting out of being arrested).

Great suspense, an emotional romance, drama, angst, and a wonderful cast of characters. This is turning to be one of my favorite series.

review 2018-05-20 08:28
In the Company of Wolves by Paige Tyler
In the Company of Wolves (SWAT) - Paige Tyler

SWAT officer Eric Becker, the renowned lover of women in tight yoga pants, does the most logical thing to do when faced with the most beautiful werewolf, he's ever seen pointing a gun at him in the middle of a shootout—he almost swallows his tongue at her sweet scent and then hides her in a crate to keep her from getting arrested or killed. Now, it's her turn to make a move.

Jayna Wilson has no idea what move she's supposed to take after a gorgeous SWAT hunk helps her hide and escape instead of hauling her off to jail. She's been out of moves ever since the alpha of her little pack has gotten mixed up with Albanian mobsters, revealed the werewolf secret to them, and now offers Jayna and her pack members as muscle to the criminals...So maybe she'll let the SWAT hunk have the next move as well...

The suspense was great as always, although the criminal group (at least they weren't Russians) seemed a little in disarray from the beginning, making Eric's job a little easier. They just didn't seem like very savvy criminals, if you ask me.
But I liked the suspense, the "mystery" of how Eric might save his dream woman and her little pack without having to sacrifice his own pack, his job or his life. And the action, as always, was top-notch with bullets, and in this case, claws and canines, flying every each way.

The problem I had with this particular story was the fact there appeared to be something missing. And I didn't realize what it was, until the end (the final chapter), when it was there again.
What was missing, was the SWAT pack. I love those guys to bits. I love their friendships, their relationships, their unflinching loyalty, their willingness to take a bullet for the guy standing next to them. And I love how they love each other. Even when they're pissed at each other, even when the alpha is snarling mad, their emotional connection is palpable.

And I missed it in this story, since it was mostly Eric and the new little pack of betas among the larger "pack" of mobsters. Thank god for Cooper, Eric's bestie with his secrets-keeping Cupid-extraordinaire superpowers, for the much necessary infusion of Pack camaraderie and humorous zingers (those were missing alongside the guys), since I didn't particularly care for the new pack and its characters. They seemed more like extras to me, extras who propped up the heroine (who wasn't bad, but wasn't all that much either). Even Becker paled compared to the Becker that I've come to love.

Solid suspense, great action, but as far as characters go, this was a let-down. But we did get to learn about a new "species" of werewolf.

review 2018-05-19 08:25
Wolf Trouble by Paige Tyler
Wolf Trouble (SWAT) - Paige Tyler

The DPD SWAT unit is about to get a new recruit. But this time it's a woman, to appease the city politicians. Luckily the commander of the squad had some say in the matter and he found the one to better mesh with the team, since she's a werewolf as well.

Khaki Blake might be a fairly new one (barely three months since her change), but she jumps at the opportunity to leave her job in Washington State behind, since her ex (also a cop) has been making her life a living hell. Then she comes to Dallas and it quickly becomes apparent, her squad leader, Xander Riggs might also make her life a living hell, since it's obvious the guy cannot stand her. A pity, since he's very easy on the eyes, and smells absolutely delicious.

It's not that Xander cannot stand Khaki, his behavior is due to the fact he wants nothing more than to jump her bones. She's The One, but she's also his subordinate, and she's just come off a bad office romance. It might kill him, but he's determined to stay away from her...Until chemistry cannot be denied any longer and the two break all the rules.

Yet another amazing addition to this series. The romance was better than in the first book, mostly because of the "conflict" of the two coworkers getting all hot and bothered about each other and trying to hide it from everyone, but also because the two protagonists worked better together, not to mention the fact they were both werewolves trying to fight the impossible-to-fight attraction between them.

The main suspense (about the bank robbers) played second fiddle to the real twist in the end (my hunch proved to be right), but it all served to propel the plot forward, also serving as catalyst for the romance between Khaki and Xander to come out into the open.

But what worked the most (as in its predecessor), was the team. The characters themselves, their relationships, interactions, and camaraderie are the pillars this series is really based on...And what I'm looking most forward to when I start reading.

review 2018-05-16 17:39
Hungry Like the Wolf by Paige Tyler
Hungry Like the Wolf - Paige Tyler

There's something off with the Dallas PD SWAT team. And it's not just the fact it's comprised of 16 easy-on-the-eyes hunks. Mackenzie Stone, investigative journalist, smells something fishy. The team is just too perfect. Everybody sings their praises and cites them as an example. They're involved in the community...No one is that perfect, so there must be something off. And Mac is sure she knows what is is...Turns out she has no idea.

This was a complete impulse buy for me, from a completely new-to-me author. And it blew me away. The plot was pretty tight, the suspense was gripping, the action scenes intense, and the story featured a pretty awesome cast of characters.

I loved the Pack, the family the SWAT team made. Their friendship and camaraderie really came through the pages and their interactions were a real treat to read.
The heroine more or less (except for those few pages in the last third of the story where I wanted to smack her) left me cold. I liked her enough, and I liked her paired with Gage, but that was pretty much it. The Pack stole the show in this one, and I didn't even mind the lack of any realistic romance. The one we got fell along the lines of paranormal-type romance, where the two protagonists are pretty much fated for each other, which absolves the author from making any kind of effort where the romance is concerned. Which I didn't mind in this case. At all.

I loved the action scenes, the tactical "drills" and "real-life" action, both in police work and personal lives of the two protagonists (that final confrontation in the penultimate chapter). There was nothing overblown about them; the writing was concise and to the point, creating the mood and conveying the images with ease and seemingly without much effort. Loved it. Intense, gripping, somewhat chilling at times. Loved it.

And then there's the world-building. Just when I thought there couldn't be much more to be invented in the werewolf world, Ms Tyler managed to surprise me with her little twist on just how a werewolf comes to be (there is no biting involved, just a quirk in the DNA). Although all tropes could not be avoided—and we got the The One spiel. Oh, well.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the DNA quirk...And of course, I can't wait to read more about the guys in the Special Wolf Alpha Unit.