logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: TFIOS
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-06 23:30
REVIEW YAY

So today's review is on the book The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Yes I know that I'm way behind the program when it comes to reviews, but I have only just joined this website and want to write reviews for books that I have currently already read, no matter how long ago I read the book.

So this book I generally enjoyed, more so than Green's other books. I do like his other work but I just like the humour in this book more than the others. ANYWAY.

Hazel Grace Lancaster (Sorry but I'm horrible at spelling names so I'm sorry if it is wrong, do correct me if needed!) meets a cute boy named Augustus Waters at this support group and they fall madly in love.

During their time of falling in love, they Hazel turns Augustus into a major fan man over this book she also really likes. To be honest I do this with other,I make people read the books I really like and cried over just so I can watch them cry as well. Is that weird? BACK TO THE REVIEW.

Augustus finds out that his cancer is worse and has to get treated again. Doesn't tell Hazel straight away. When he passes Hazel is so heart broken. She finally had someone and that person was taken away by cancer. I really like Augustus so this death did sting a little.

So this book is written beautifully. I really like John Green's writing style but other people don't. But hey you can't impress everyone.

OVERALL A GOOD BOOK!

review 2014-11-26 08:00
The Fault In Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

I'm not going to write an extremely touching story or a very deep analysis of TFIOS. I think those can already be found all over the internet. I just want to describe my thoughts on this book.

I started reading this book in September, just before the university started again, mostly because I knew I had friends who would definitely ask me if I'd read the book already. (They had been doing so for the last month of the last college year as well). As I'd read a lot of books this summer, I figured I couldn't really come up with a reason not to have read it, even though watching the movie made me realise that it wasn't going to be a book for me.

This was around the same time that The Netherlands were stalked with big posters of John Green's head and the text 'Damn Near Genius' , which I thought to be at best 'Not a really good way to promote the books' as only very small pictures of the covers were included.

It took me to the first of November to finish it. Partly this was of course because I was a bit behind on my review books and they get to go first, but I also just wasn't enjoying myself while reading it. And that's not because I don't like books that are sad or deal with a serious matter. It was mostly because I couldn't stand both Hazel, Gus and their forced tear-jerking starcrossed romance.

They never for once talked like normal people. It's okay to like to talk about existential questions, but don't act like you're so much better than everyone else. It's not cool to put a cigarette into your mouth even if you decide not to light it. It's ridiculous to talk about basketball in terms of round objects moving trough conical ones.

Their weird obsession with An Imperial Affliction is another thing. It's just a book, and from what I've heard about it, not even such a good one. I know all about books ending unsatisfactory but I don't go obsessing about it in this way (I don't just read a single book on constant repeat either, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't give my one special copy of it to a random Guy I just met. I would have protected it with my life, so to speak). Hazel and Gus call it a pretentious book, but that's coming from perhaps the most pretentious book I've ever read.

I realise I'm probably not the intended audience for this book. I don't like romance, over emotional books or books that try to force me into certain emotions (like crying; I want to be able to decide for myself whether or not to cheer for the characters). I just wanted to see if the book really was as good as I was reading (and everyone was telling me) that I forgot that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. The only thing I really can't understand is why people are loving the pretentiousness so much. It annoyed the hell out of me.

I thought the book was over long too. After the big thing happens, the story drags on for at least another 50 pages, trying to force me into crying (but definitely not succeeding; I don't know what this says about me). Perhaps TFIOPS (The Fault In Our Pretentious Stars) should have ended just like An Imperial Affliction, with Hazel realising she can't / doesn't want to continue writing and just stopping mid-sentence. And all I would be wondering about is what did eventually become of the hamster...

review 2014-07-01 06:02
TFIOS
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

While some people may think Augustus Waters sounds a bit too mature/too adult/too insightful for a 17-year-old kid, I beg to differ. I teach high school students, and I've known kids who, even without a potentially terminal illness, communicate on that level and see things in ways most grown-ups never will, so his voice was authentic to me.

This book made me care about its characters in a way I haven't cared about characters in a while. I rooted for them, empathized with their pain, experienced their heartache, and cheered for them all the way.

There's something cathartic about reading a really great book, one whose characters leap off the page and grab you by the heart and won't let go, even after the final sentence has been read, and The Fault in Our Stars did that for me.

Now, some people will want to know this next bit: the book has profanity and sexual content that probably won't bother most readers, but if you've an objection to that kind of thing, be forewarned, it's in here. Also, for that same reason, teachers may want to use caution and read this for yourselves when considering it as an addition to a high school classroom library.

For my own part, I'm really glad I read this book, so thanks to everyone who read it and wrote reviews that made me want to read it for myself.

Oh, and one last thing: This book is FULL of quotable quotes, but try not to read too many of them online before you read the book, or you may spoil it for yourself.

This book might not be for the faint of heart, but I loved it. I couldn't put it down.

review 2014-05-03 12:20

Released: January, 2012

Source: John Green Boxed set | Bol.com

Where to buy: Bookdepository | Amazon

Synopsis

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Sometimes a guy tells a story through a book, this book travels around the world and an incredible amount of copies are sold. Almost everyone at an certain age knows about this book and have been (unfortunately) spoiled for the ending. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is that kind of book, ask my Dutch classmates and they know how the story goes.

I have read this book almost two years ago and I really enjoyed it, I loved the story and the characters. But around the time this book became a hype, I turned sceptical. I only remembered a couple of things of the book and said it was overrated. Maybe that was because it had become one of my favourites and everyone was ranting about it. I do not know.

For our English class we were given a list of books from which we should pick one and read for an upcoming test. The first book on this list was TFIOS and even though I'd already read it, with the film coming up it felt like I should read it again.

To be honest, I am so happy I reread this book. The dark humour of Hazel Grace Lancaster, the sad but funny Isaac and the vain metaphors of Augustus Waters, are maybe the reason I fell in love with this book. The writing style of John Green made me love it even more and all the descriptions of how Hazel perceived the Netherlands and everything else was amazing.

The rare thing called emotional investment occurred and while reading this book it felt like I was on a roller-coaster that only goes up. At a lot of points during the book I laughed out loud, but a couple of paragraphs later salty rivers of tears were finding their way down my cheeks.

Before I reread this book and people would ask me what I thought about it, I would answer something like: "I like it, but it is overhyped". But now I would answer something like: "I love it like the sun loves the moon and that is quite a lot".

If you have not read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I think most people already have, you should really read it before the film comes out in June.

What did you think about The Fault in Our Stars? And are you excited for the film?

review 2014-02-20 02:45
TFiOS
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

New to a website? Why not make friends by posting something about The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

First of all, if you haven't read this book, I don't care who you are, get off this site right now and go to the nearest chapters or open a new tab and open amazon. You can come back when you finish it.

Second, TFiOS is extraordinary and motivational. It changes you views on people with cancer and it is an emotional journey about two people who meet in the 'literal heart of jesus' (TFiOS reference). Reading this book made me feel every emotion and  it makes you think about how there are people who are worse off than you.

Third, if you have read this book, you will understand why I am going to put this next line in capital letters, THE MOVIE COMES OUT IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS AND THE TRAILER IS PERFECT!

Okay, Okay, if you haven't read it, go read it. If you have read this, let's talk about it.