logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Tara-Altebrando
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-05 21:04
Worst Nightmare Come to Life
The Leaving - Tara Altebrando

When my kids were little (and even now), I worried that someone would take them. In this, 6 children are taken from their school and held for 11 years. But before their 16th birthdays, they are returned to their families, all but one. The story follows Avery, the younger sister of the child who doesn't return, Lucas and Scarlett.

It had many errors and there were times where I felt that the conversations should have been from someone else, not the one talking. On the whole, it was a good story. I don't recommend this book to anyone with littles because it would be too close to home.

This book deals with shooting at schools, memories being modified and kidnapping of children. The emotions of the families affected, the children who were taken and trying to get back to some form of normal.

review 2017-03-21 04:45
Review: The Leaving by Tara Altebrando
The Leaving - Tara Altebrando

Quick review for quite a strenuous read. I think "The Leaving" had good ideas and intentions, but in the end, none of it worked for me. I'll admit I really had to push myself in a marathon just to get through this book. It was very sluggishly paced (for little to no reason at all), the characters were lacking (you have three perspectives: two of the abducted kids and one who's the sister, and there seems to be a mismatch with the gravity of the emotional events with the voices of the characters, who seemed very removed from it all despite having gaping holes in their memory and a potential missing kid that they don't even remember who might still be out there somewhere), and the mystery had little to no buildup. Matter in point, the story ends with such a telegraphed ending with very little expansion that I just felt underwhelmed at the whole deal despite this being in a genre I usually like. I spent more than 3 hours in spurts just to get that ending? *sighs*

The variant font stylistics also added nothing to the story, so don't think you're missing much if you don't get the inclusion or why it was done that way.

In the end, not my cuppa and not really worth the time I spent on it. A shame since the premise and certain reveals in the book had potential, but the cast of characters, pacing and narrative focus just weren't there.

Overall score: 1.5/5 stars.

review 2016-12-23 20:06
The Leaving Book Review
The Leaving - Tara Altebrando

For a book about a kidnapping and missing children, The Leaving was so boring. The ending is anticlimactic and the characters are bland. The third person writing style really drags the book down as well. If you're looking for an exciting thriller, this is not it.

Six kids went missing and five have returned. Only Max remains missing. Intertwined between different characters we slowly piece together some of what happened to these children. The question remains, what happened to them and where is Max?

Two mysteries in one but both weren't exciting enough to really have me jumping up and down for this one. I honestly skimmed a lot because the writing is very cringe worthy. Like I said, the third person style just didn't work for this book.

I'd probably tell folks this one isn't worth the time reading especially since its longer than 400 pages and will barely keep you entertained. Find a more exciting thriller like the Naturals or even With Malice.

review 2015-01-19 10:49
Roomies by Tara Altebrando and Sara Zarr
Roomies - Sara Zarr,Tara Altebrando,Becca Battoe,Emily Eiden

Elizabeth (Eb) and Lauren(Lo)have been paired up to be roommates at Berkeley

Lo isn't too happy. She lives with her parents and five siblings. She hasn't had any personal space since the younger children came along. She had requested a single room, but that was obviously denied.

Eb is thrilled. Its just her and her mother at home, and she's really looking forward to the "closeness" her and Lo are bound to share. She also hopes to possibly reconnecting with her father. He happens to own a Gallery in San Francisco. Eb excitedly sends off an email to Lo just minutes after receiving her roommates info.

This is one of the most adorable books I've ever read (or listened to). I absolutely loved both girls. Both were realistic, likable, and had their own distinctive personalities. I listened to the audio version, and while I think this would have been a great story to "read", I think the narrators are what really brought this book to life for me. Everything the girls have ever known is about to change. This is thrilling, sad, and at least a little terrifying. The narrators did a beautiful job with bringing each girl to life.

I have a hate/love feel for the ending. I really wished the book had gone on for one more scene. I almost feel cheated that it didn't. However, it really is the perfect ending to the book. I think ending it any other way may have taken away the special feeling the book gave me.

review 2014-03-10 00:00
Roomies
Roomies - Sara Zarr,Tara Altebrando OVERALL IMPRESSION: This book brings back some memories for me. I remember getting the information about who my college roommate was going to be and contacting her to figure out who would bring the fridge and who would bring the microwave. That was about all of our communication until we met on moving in day. This book takes it farther and the two girls continue to e-mail each other and form a friendship before they even move in together.

It's a really interesting concept and I love the idea that they are from two completely different worlds. I actually live in the bay area, so I enjoyed hearing the references to the city and places that I have been. It was just really neat hearing about these places I've actually seen.

This is a really quick and light read. I feel like it's a good "palate cleanser" to read between heavier books. While it's not necessary, I'd love to see a short sequel of the girls' interaction and how things go during their first year of college, actually living together. I think that would be fun to read about.

CHARACTERS: I liked both Lauren and Elizabeth. I like how their lives are completely different, but they are still both teenage girls with the same internal issues.

COVER: I like it. It's cute!

**I received an ARC of this book from Amazon Vine for my honest review.