logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Blood-of-the-Fifth-Knight
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-26 22:34
Great Story and Characters
Drakon's Knight (Blood of the Drakon #7) - N.J. Walters

Drakon Jericho Drake, the child of a pure-blood dragon and human, has a simple plan: Kill the leader of the Knights of the Dragon and start a war. Except, when he meets his target, Karina Azarov, she can’t remember who she is. Worst of all––he can’t kill her. His dragon side has just claimed the dangerous woman as his mate. Karina has no idea why these Drakon’s have taken her to their home. And she most certainly does not understand why she’s so drawn to her captor. Maybe because he’s strong, intelligent, and caring, in his enigmatic sort of way. One thing she knows, he’s not going to hurt her. If only she could remember something from her past that would explain why these Drakon’s hate her so much. But if her memory returns, mated or not, he may get his war.. And one of them will die.

This was a great story that had me from the beginning. I loved both characters and loved following them as they went through their journey together. I can’t wait to read the other books in the series. I highly recommend.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book

show activity (+)
review 2015-06-05 04:08
Review: The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone Book 3 of 4)
The Blood Knight - Greg Keyes

This is the third book out of four in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series and I enjoyed it a lot – about as much as I enjoyed the second book.  This book felt a little more concentrated on a smaller set of story lines and characters, although that perception may be inaccurate.  I think in reality it had close to the same number of characters, but fewer distinct storylines because events have begun merging together more.  However, the over-all story seems to be getting progressively more intricate and interesting as it goes on and the world continues to gain more and more depth.

This book explained a lot more about some aspects of the world and its inhabitants.  By the end, I felt like I understood the big picture better. However, there are still lingering questions that will hopefully be answered in the fourth and final book.  Some interesting events also occurred near the end, and a couple of choices were made that I’m sure will lead to more trouble.  I look forward to seeing what happens in the final book, and I hope the ending will bring everything to a satisfying conclusion.

show activity (+)
review 2015-03-08 08:15
The Blood Of The Fifth Knight
The Blood of the Fifth Knight - E.M. Powell

I like medieval stories well enough, but when I'd hit the halfway mark in The Blood of The Fifth Knight is was already waiting for it to end.

In this sequel to The Fifth Knight (which I hadn't read) sir Benedict Palmer is called to King Henry II once again to save the day (and his precious mistress). Who exactly is playing the game of thrones?

It started quite interesting, even though I hadn't read the first book, but after some time it started to annoy me that I didn't have any connection with any of the characters. The story starts to drag a little, or I was just losing my interest as the plot twists were far from really unexpected and everyone seemed more naive than I would have been (should I've been thrown into a medieval court that is). Probably I would have enjoyed it better had I also read the first book, or perhaps this book just wasn't for me. The writing was quite nice too, but it couldn't save the book for me.

The Blood of The Fifth Knight is the second book in the series around sir Benedict Palmer. The first book is called 'The Fifth Knight'.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2015-02-11 16:49
Blood of the Fifth Knight
The Blood of the Fifth Knight - E.M. Powell

The Blood of the Fifth Knight continues the story started in The Fifth Knight. Sir Benedict Palmer and former nun,Theodosia are now married and have two children and live a quiet life, far away from the court of Henry II and all of it's intrigue. King Henry has his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine imprisoned for attempting to overthrow him. Rosamund Clifford is the king's mistress and after a failed assassination attempt, King Henry enlists Sir Benedict to protect her. Is Eleanor behind these attempts? Good question and it is up to Sir Benedict to make sure nothing happens to Rosamund. Sir Benedict is ordered by Henry, and is reluctant to leave his wife and children, but feels they would be safer where they are, not with him. Nothing could be further from the truth as an enemy has penetrated the Palmer household and Theodosia and her children are at risk from this new enemy.

Even though Sir Benedict does all he can to protect Rosamund, he is not successful and is accused of her death, beaten and imprisoned waiting to be hung. At the same time Theodosia is also imprisoned, along with her children for being in league with the devil. While this is not true of course, it makes for a harrowing course for Benedict and Theodosia. Can they both be acquitted of their supposed crimes? Well that is why you need to read this book, to find out what happens in this medieval thriller.

The amount of research that went into this novel is evident in the writing. She has put a voice to the characters, whether real or imagined, that makes this book a page turner. I hope that there will be another book with the continuing of a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

review 2013-12-09 13:00
Action Fantasy ( A review for all four books)
The Briar King - Greg Keyes

In today’s world of speculative fiction there are several different genres of fantasy. Though I can remember the days when there was only one and we described the novels we read with multiple adjectives rather than high jacking for nouns. Even though there many genres to explore, I lost count of them. I wish there was one called solid. That is one word I would use to describe Greg Keyes The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. Perhaps these four novels would qualify as traditional. I have heard that some are taking to calling certain novels traditional, because they engage in the use of cliches, or just copy Tolkien. Though there are certain aspects of Keyes’s work that could be considered over used, it isn’t traditional, but is solid storytelling.

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone is made up of four books, The Briar King, The Charnel Prince, The Blood Knight, and The Born Queen. The most traditional aspect of this story is that the world resembles a very western one, with knights and their medieval ethos. There are several characters that the novels follow, making the story wider in scope and more entertaining. There is Anne Dare a young princesses of Crotheny and her best friend and servant Austra. There is Aspar White, a holter protecting the king’s forest. Stephan Darige, a young monk and scholar. Neil MaqVren, a simple knight, but powerful and skilled who serves the queen loyally. There is also Cazio Pachiomadio da Chiovattio, a cunning and witty student of the sword and women. That is just to name a few.

Each of these characters end up going on a different quest that ends up being related to the other quests of the other characters. They all grow in power and change as the story progresses. Each of their quests also ends up a little different then what they expected. Most of the time they are all very confused. All the quests center around the Sedos Throne, a seat of magical power. It seems that the lost colony of Roanoke, ended up being transported to this world of Keyes’s creation by a race of demons who enslave humans. The first child born in the Roanoke colony, historically, was Virginia Dare. Well, it seems she becomes a person capable of using the Sedos Throne and uses that power to free the human slaves and set up their own civilization. Events occur that begin to change this world during Anne Dare’s time. Kings’s are murdered, some people become immune to death, religious leaders practice evil magic, war is started and ancient myths come to life. I don’t like spoilers so I won’t give too much information. I will just go over some good and bad points.

Many may know Keyes from his work on Star Wars novels. The Kingdoms of Throne and Bone reads very much like those novels. They are fast paced, for Keyes is an action author. He does not spend a lot of time with inner monologues or examining the characters emotions. He does well with fight scenes, especially when it comes to Neil, Cazio, and Aspar. While this keeps the story running smoothly, there is little to no character growth, as far as internalizing the events. You really don’t come to care about these people, you might like them, and cheer for some of them, but never really become emotionally invested in any of them. The pace that Keyes sets is much like an action film, and like an action film, there tends to be some holes in the fabric of the story. That whole thing about the Roanoke colony coming to this world, Keyes never really says that, nor explains it. There is a kingdom in the book called Virgenya, and the people call themselves Virgenyans, but they play little part in the story. Keyes doesn’t explore a lot of his own world. The Briar King is a mythically being in the book and while he gets a fairly detailed write up many of the myths and even the Sedos Throne are never really explained.

All this aside, the books are fun. The characters are likable and the action is exciting. You may not get to really know the characters but watching them play out their destiny is entertaining. The love interests are pretty tame, but filled with nice sentiment. Keyes does not handle romance well. The villains are fairly interesting as well, as some can’t die, some are demons, some mad men. However, Keyes does paint a world with shades of grey, there is not black and white, good and evil, which is always appreciated. For all the shades this world possesses this is not a complex place. This is a straight forward, fast, fun read. That is why I called it solid, but now that I think about it, perhaps Action Fantasy would be better. If you are interested in some fantasy novels that don’t tax you, an easy read, to fill in between two more serious novels, try The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone.