logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: The-Coven
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-12 03:24
Belong To The Night (The Long Island Coven #2) - Shelly Laurenston,Cynthia Eden,Sherrill Quinn

The Long Island Coven is an outlier of the various shifter books Ms Laurenston has out. You don't actually run into anyone you know, so it's not obvious it's part of the series. I like this one better than the first one in that the H isn't a creep. Was kinda frustrating that it took so long to take care of The Problem. And, I must admit, I don't generally care for her wolves (Dee Ann and the Van Holtz bunch being an exception) because they tend to play up that hillbilly angle a bit much...while being assholes half the time. Tully - the H - is a member of the Smith Pack...and the resident alpha...and mayor...and well-known architect who may be ivy league. He plays dumb a lot. He's not an ass either, though admittedly it's usually the females who take on that unpleasant nature.

Cynthia Eden's entry is yet another random pairing in her world. I did like this one but the end made me flinch a bit.

Sherrill Quinn's entry is a PWP really. Oh there's a plot in there but for such a short story (80 pages or so), most of it seemed to be overly descriptive and crudely written sex.

review 2018-07-14 23:49
It Takes a Coven (Witch City Mystery, #6)
It Takes a Coven - Carol J. Perry

I generally enjoy the books in this series, and I should have enjoyed this one more; it had elements designed to appeal to me, like a murder of crows (collective noun not crime), an old spell book that won't burn, whose 17th century owner's ghost wants back, a current string of crimes that may or may not be connected to modern day Wiccans.  Stolen art.

For the most part, I did enjoy it, but there was just a little something missing.  It could very well be my mood; I'm still displaying shades of slump now and again.  This may have affected my engagement with the book.  It could also be the wedding planning bit that's tangentially a part of the plot.  Or the egregious number of continuity errors the editor didn't catch; something I don't remember this series suffering from before.

Mostly, I think, that MC just wasn't quite focused enough to really involve the reader in the story.  She had all of these intriguing things happening to/around her but for the most part, never involved her.  The exception are the visions she had throughout the story, usually whenever she looked at a reflective surface.  Her acceptance of them in this book was a relief, and I enjoyed these scenes a lot, as they imparted information about the mysteries.

It was a good story though, even though I keep rambling on about the nit-picky stuff.  It held my attention while I was reading it and I was interested in seeing the mystery solved.

review 2018-03-21 16:27
Waking for Winter (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles Book 4) by Katherine McIntyre
Waking for Winter (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #4) - Katherine McIntyre
Waking for Winter is the last book in the Philadelphia Coven Chronicles, and this time we meet up with Cami and Dante. Now, Cami is a character we've met throughout the series, whilst Dante is a fairly new one who popped up in Alanna and Sam's story. Interestingly enough, this couple is also the only one who had a previous relationship with each other, although Cami left for her own reasons. Cami is 'haunted' by her experiences at the hands of the Order of the Serpent, and you realise just how much as the story fills out. Dante will do anything to protect Cami. He still loves her, even though he still doesn't know why she left. In this climatic book, all the previous couples play a part, but the spotlight remains on Cami and Dante.

This has one helluva ending, that definitely leaves you wanting more but strangely satisfied with what you have. The usual high quality of writing flows through this book, a standard I now associate with Katherine McIntyre. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this book, my favourite of the series has to be Rising for Autumn. However, I would highly recommend you try this series for yourself, and then let me know which is your favourite! An epic ending to a great series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Absolutely recommended by me.

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/philadelphiacovenchronicles1-4bykatherinemcintyre
review 2018-03-21 16:25
Rising for Autumn (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #3) by Katherine McIntyre
Rising for Autumn (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #3) - Katherine McIntyre
Rising for Autumn is my favourite book so far in the Philadelphia Coven Chronicles. We meet the woman behind the Ice Queen mask and it is Sam, the djinn, who is there to help with the unmasking - but only in private! After all, Alanna is the leader of the coven, and a heavy weight rests on her shoulders with every decision she makes. If everyone knew how these decisions cost her, their unwavering faith in her may change. The Order of the Serpent rears its ugly head again, in fact, Alanna is correct in saying it should be a hydra! Thrown together, Sam and Alanna realise neither is quite what the other one thought.

I loved the approach in this book. Alanna is a strong woman, and makes no bones or apologies for that. There are not many who are prepared to look for the woman though, and that made me quite sad as I felt how lonely she was. Sam has tried to live as normal a life as he can, being a djinn tied to a lamp. Alanna constantly surprises him, and he sees the weight she carries. These two end up leaning on each other, as well as brainstorming and verbal sparring!

An excellent story, wrapped up in a tidy bundle with no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. The characters come to life and jump off the page, making you feel their highs and lows. I also love the season in each book. Katherine McIntyre is exceptional at placing the season without it being overpowering. It's subtle, and yet there for the seeing. I absolutely loved this story, and can't wait to continue with the series, although I also don't want it to end. Definitely recommended by me.

review 2018-03-21 16:22
Scrying for Summer (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #2) by Katherine McIntyre
Scrying for Summer (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles #2) - Katherine McIntyre
Scrying for Summer is the second book in the Philadelphia Coven Chronicles, and we meet back up with the little powerhouse known as Jev, and the turncoat with soul, Liam. Brenna and Conor are out of town, and Liam doesn't know where else to turn. His friend is in trouble, with the same organisation Liam is trying to escape from. He asks for Jev's help, not realising the danger he would be asking her to face.

Liam shows a different side to himself in this book, one that Jev finds hard to resist. He is no longer the simple, one dimensional, turncoat she thought he was. Instead, she finds out more about his reasons for what he did, and also asks herself the question about what would she do in the same situation? Once she realises that the answer isn't as easy as she thought, as well as some wise words from Sam the Djinn, her view changes of Liam. He is busy fighting his attraction for Jev. He is a Hunter, and their lives are dangerous. However, no one tells Jev what she can or can't do, and her help with the situation regarding his mom breaks down some of the walls that Liam holds onto so tightly.

Whilst you don't have to read book one to enjoy this one, I would still recommend you do. You will get a much better picture of who Jev and Liam are, plus why they both feel the way they do at the beginning. This was an excellent addition to the series, and Katherine McIntyre continues with her fantastic world and character building. There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow, and I was thoroughly engrossed with the story from start to finish. Highly recommended by me.